News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Nearest Freeway Segment You've Never Driven

Started by webny99, July 16, 2018, 03:06:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Quote from: ilpt4u on July 20, 2018, 01:43:28 PM
Quote from: webny99 on July 20, 2018, 01:32:51 PM
I wouldn't say there's a certain direction we specifically don't travel towards or avoid, although the most glaring gap seems to be west/southwest towards Missouri and southern Illinois and Indiana.
Come on down for a visit! Southern IL And Southeast Missouri is a nice area! Lots of local breweries and wineries, if you care for such things

I am under 21 at the moment... But yeah, maybe someday, and I'm sure there are other attractions!  :-D

ftballfan

Here are my five closest:
1. US-127 between US-10 and M-55
2. I-75 between M-55 west and M-32; however, I HAVE been on the short section between US-127 and the south end of Grayling
3. I-475 south of I-69
4. I-69 east of I-475
5. Indiana Toll Road between I-94 and US-131

Until recently, I hadn't been on US-131 south of I-94 or I-75 between US-10 and M-55 west.

DandyDan

The section of the US 63 bypass of New Hampton, IA north of US 18 has definitely been missed. Until a couple weeks ago, I hadn't been on US 20 between US 65 and IA 14. The only piece of Iowa interstate I have never driven is I-380 between US 20 and downtown Cedar Rapids. As for Minnesota, the only section of I-90 I have not driven is between MN 43 north and US 61. As for the Twin Cities area, that's a mass of undriven freeways.

EDIT: Forgot about US 14 to Mankato. I did drive to the first exit west of I-35,  but not beyond that.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Buck87

SSR_317

For me, it would have to be the section of I-65 between its north junction with I-465 (exit 123) near Eagle Creek Park and I-865 (SB exit 129). Since I live in NE Indy, have never had a reason to do that particular stretch of freeway.

Next would be I-74 to the southeast of Post Rd (exit 96). I have FLOWN over the entirety of I-74 between Indy & Cincy many times, back when Delta had a hub at CVG, but have never driven it. Used to do an over/under bet on that flight between taxi time at both ends and the actual flight time (which was 18-22 minutes, depending on air traffic). Especially before the midfield terminal opened here at IND in 2008, when you could have a 4-mile taxi from the original terminal to the farthest runway end. One humorous pilot actually came on the aircraft's PA during such a taxi and reassured us that we were actually gonna FLY to Cincy, and not DRIVE (we WERE paralleling a freeway... but it was WB I-70 heading to Terre Haute & St. Louis).

SSR_317

Quote from: catch22 on July 18, 2018, 05:03:01 PM
For me, it's the section of I-469 from the US-24 interchange north and west to I-69 in Fort Wayne.
You're not missing much there, unless you want to "clinch" I-469. ;)

swhuck

Probably one of the numerous toll roads near Austin. If by freeway you mean something that is actually free, it would more likely be in Houston, or possibly one of the 3DIs in OKC.
Clinched: I-2, 5, 8, 10, 12, 15, 17, 19, 20, 22, 24, 25, 27, 29, 30, 35, 37, 39, 40, 43, 44, 45, 55, 59, 65, 66, 68, 70, 71, 72, 76 (both), 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84 (W), 85, 86 (W), 88 (W), 93, 94, 96, 97
US50, 101, 175, 199, 290, 380, 491/666
Clinched for now: I-11, 14, 49, 57

webny99

I didn't intend for "freeway" to be interpreted so literally. Toll roads count, as far as I'm concerned. I mentioned one in the OP as a - free - "controlled access" road I had never been on until recently.

mrsman

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 16, 2018, 06:57:50 PM
The eastern end of the Intercounty Connector (MD-200) between I-95 and US-1.

For the nearest one never travelled at all in whole or in part, I'm pretty sure it'd be I-795 near Baltimore.

The eastern end of ICC is mine as well.  Others that I have not touched (I don't think) are I-66 between Dulles Access Road and I-495.  Dulles Toll Road west of Tysons (but have used the DAAR to reach the airport).  Never been on I-70 between I-270 and US 29.

When I lived in LA (West Hollywood area), I never had occasion to drive on the CA-14 freeway.  (I'm sure my father used it when I was 6 and we took a trip to Mammoth Lakes.)  I'm also pretty sure that there are parts of the 60, and the 605 that I have never driven either.  The part of I-5 between the 170 and Dodger Stadium seems like an area that I may have driven but it would be rare, given the freeway configuration and difficulty to reach that section from where I lived.  I can definitely say that I never drove on the OC toll roads, even though CA-73 was completed before I left LA.

Flint1979

Oddly enough I've driven on every stretch of freeway in the state of Michigan.

The winner for me is the Ohio Turnpike between the Indiana state line and Toledo. I avoid the Ohio Turnpike at all costs but have driven it east of Toledo. I would take US-20 between Toledo and the Indiana line, it's a little shorter and only takes 15 minutes longer to drive.

abefroman329

Flint1979

Quote from: SSR_317 on July 21, 2018, 09:24:29 PM
For me, it's the section of I-469 from the US-24 interchange north and west to I-69 in Fort Wayne.
I've clinched I-469 and must agree that it's nothing special.

I clinched it in January 2014 and it was during one of our deep freeze winters of course, I remember pumping gas at the Flying J in New Haven and looking at my phone at the temp and it was -13 with a wind chill of -35 at 2 in the morning.

TEG24601

I have never been on the West Seattle Freeway/Bridge.  I have been on I-705 (WA) precisely once in my life, as a passenger. 

When living in Flint, I never once went north of M-21/Court St. on I-475.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

doorknob60

Have never driven on myself (but I have traveled on in some way):

• I-86 in Idaho (170 mi): I prefer US-20 if going to Idaho Falls or beyond, and never had a reason to go specifically to Pocatello
  • US-20 east of Idaho Falls (253 mi)

Have never been on at all:

• I-80 in Nevada (except from Reno to CA state line), 234 mi to Elko, 241 mi to Wells, or 257 mi to Winnemucca: I have however crossed I-80 via US-93 in Wells. Inevitably I will drive the section west of Winnemucca sometime, but I'm not sure if I'll ever have a good reason to drive any of it between Winnemucca and Salt Lake City
  • I-84 east of Ogden, UT (304 mi)
  • Also many freeway segments in Salt Lake City, such as most of I-215, Legacy Parkway, most of I-80, UT-201: Being the closest major city to Boise, but I have only been here a few times and generally just use I-15. I have been on all Portland freeways, FWIW; that's also farther from Boise though.

Charles2

I live in the Birmingham metro area, so I'm not sure which is the closest:

* I-55 south of Jackson to Laplace, LA
* I-10 east of AL-59 towards Pensacola
* I-55 north of Jackson to Senatobia, MS

Roadsguy

Probably the section of PA 283 between Toll House Road and PA 743.

That or US 30 between York and Lancaster.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

SSR_317

Quote from: Flint1979 on September 07, 2018, 12:03:54 PM
Quote from: SSR_317 on July 21, 2018, 09:24:29 PM
I've clinched I-469 and must agree that it's nothing special.

I clinched it in January 2014 and it was during one of our deep freeze winters of course, I remember pumping gas at the Flying J in New Haven and looking at my phone at the temp and it was -13 with a wind chill of -35 at 2 in the morning.
Burr! Remember skiing once up at Boyne Highlands when the temperature was below zero. Cold, but manageable. But the worst was skiing at Paoli Peaks in southern IN when the air temp was -21°F. At least the good thing was the 100% sunshine that morning and the only wind chill was that generated by my skiing down the hill. ;-)

akotchi

This one is tough . . . I live northeast of Philadelphia, but the closest open freeway segment I have not driven is probably the section of Route 100 between U.S. 30 and U.S. 202 . . .
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

pdx-wanderer

Mmm. I don't think I've ever been on the OR 22 freeway segment east of Salem. The closest interstate I've never been on would be I-710 in Tacoma.

theroadwayone

I think I can safely say I've driven on all the freeways in the San Diego area at least once. I haven't been on the new segment of SR 905 since it opened to traffic; ditto with SR 11. The closest highways I've never been on would be mostly in Orange or Riverside Counties.

Occidental Tourist

From a locus of Orange County: the 58 between Mohave and Kramer Junction, the short freeway stub of the 138 that runs east from the 5, and the portion of the 94 down in inland San Diego that's east of the 125.

I'm not sure what's the closest of those three. But the runner-ups to those would be much further away; they probably would be outside Fresno.

mrose

Much of E-470, but that's toll, so I guess that might not count. Otherwise, everything in Denver. Statewide, all of 76, all of 25 except the last 20-25 miles into Wyoming, and all of I-70 east of Vail.

I guess nothing around Colorado Springs except 25 on my through it. But there's nothing there I want to see anyway.

skluth

I haven't lived long enough in Palm Springs (<2 months) to say anything in So Cal. So I'll instead refer to the >25 years in St Louis. Nearest was I-57 between Salem and Effingham. I'd taken I-57 as an alternative drive to Chicago (it's only 15 miles longer via I-57 and I-70 than via I-55, and much less busy). I'd taken it from Mt Vernon south to I-24. I'd even taken the bit south of Salem when I dated someone from there. I also never drove the I-72 section west of Springfield, IL.

TheOneKEA

I think the nearest freeway I haven't driven on yet is either the portion of the US 15 Gettysburg bypass north of PA 97, or I-495 around Wilmington.

The High Plains Traveler

I-80 between NE-71 and I-76. That's about 250 miles from me, and I haven't driven it because I-76 provides a way more direct route from Denver to Nebraska and points east. If I ever drive this stretch, I will have clinched I-80 between San Francisco and central Pennsylvania. Likewise, there are segments of I-40 between Santa Rosa NM and Texas that I drove when it was U.S. 66, but not since the Interstate was built.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.