News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

CA 56

Started by Max Rockatansky, July 05, 2023, 01:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

California State Route 56 is an approximately 9.84-mile State Highway located in the city of San Diego.  California State Route 56 begins at Interstate 5 in the San Diego neighborhood of Carmel Valley and ends Interstate 15 in the neighborhood of Rancho Peñasquitos.  The constructed portion of California State Route 56 has been complete since 2004 and is known as the Ted Williams Freeway.  California State Route 56 has an unconstructed segment east of Interstate 15 to California State Route 67. 

https://www.gribblenation.org/2023/07/california-state-route-56.html?m=1

The Ghostbuster

I would have liked the Interstate 15/CA 56 interchange to have been a full freeway-to-freeway system interchange.

pderocco

They really only need one flyover, from CA-56 east to I-15 north, and there's certainly room for it. The rest of the interchange can be thought of more as part of Ted Williams Pkwy than CA-56, and so doesn't need continuous flow.

ClassicHasClass

There's also a fair bit of movement on I-15 NB to CA 56 WB, so let's go for two.  :sombrero:

rschen7754

Surprised that we're talking about the I-15 side and not the I-5 side.

The Ghostbuster

At the western terminus of CA 56, would they be able to build freeway-to-freeway ramps connecting Interstate 5 South to CA 56 East, and CA 56 west to Interstate 5 North without removing the Carmel Valley Rd. interchange on Interstate 5, or the half-interchange between CA 56 and El Camino Real? Not to mention that some homes and businesses might need to be demolished if said connecting ramps were proposed, approved, funded, and constructed.

JustDrive

Anyone know why Sorrento Valley Rd became discontinuous to cars after the construction of the WB 56 flyover to SB 5?

pderocco

I could speculate:
1) When the freeway was doubled up with the "local bypass" lanes, there wasn't quite enough room between the big retaining wall and the wetlands.
2) When the flyover was built, a couple of its support columns impinged on the road alignment.
3) Environmentalists raised a stink about enlarging the freeway, and were pacified by trading a piece of Sorrento for a bike path.

theroadwayone

Quote from: pderocco on July 09, 2023, 01:33:11 AM
I could speculate:
1) When the freeway was doubled up with the "local bypass" lanes, there wasn't quite enough room between the big retaining wall and the wetlands.
2) When the flyover was built, a couple of its support columns impinged on the road alignment.
3) Environmentalists raised a stink about enlarging the freeway, and were pacified by trading a piece of Sorrento for a bike path.

Or some combo, if not all, of the three.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: JustDrive on July 07, 2023, 11:00:25 PM
Anyone know why Sorrento Valley Rd became discontinuous to cars after the construction of the WB 56 flyover to SB 5?

During construction of the 56 west to 5 south flyover ramp in the late 90's, they closed the road to both build the flyover and use as a staging area for construction of the 56 freeway.  Local environmentalists, homeowners, cyclists, etc. campaigned to keep it closed, and when Dick Murphy ran for his ill-fated mayorship in 2000, he made keeping the road closed a campaign platform.

Caltrans actually commissioned an EIR for slightly realigning and reopening the road but abandoned it when local government opposed it.

pderocco

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on July 12, 2023, 11:16:15 AM
During construction of the 56 west to 5 south flyover ramp in the late 90's, they closed the road to both build the flyover and use as a staging area for construction of the 56 freeway.  Local environmentalists, homeowners, cyclists, etc. campaigned to keep it closed, and when Dick Murphy ran for his ill-fated mayorship in 2000, he made keeping the road closed a campaign platform.

Yeah, you can see all the equipment lined up on it in the Google Earth 1996 imagery, even though it's pretty blurry.

skluth

Quote from: pderocco on July 12, 2023, 08:17:14 PM
Quote from: Occidental Tourist on July 12, 2023, 11:16:15 AM

Yeah, you can see all the equipment lined up on it in the Google Earth 1996 imagery, even though it's pretty blurry.

I think it's the right decision. Most of the traffic is going south on I-5 while Carmel Valley Road is a two lane collector. It's not safe to dump high speed traffic directly into a 30 mph street.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.