News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Improving the dreaded Cloverleaf

Started by Amtrakprod, April 19, 2019, 03:24:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

Quote from: kphoger on April 22, 2019, 08:51:47 PM
Quote from: 1 on April 22, 2019, 07:17:42 PM

Quote from: kphoger on April 22, 2019, 07:05:44 PM
Who can fix the cloverleaf while still retaining its most attractive elements?

only two bridge decks (assuming a dual carriageway)
all right entrances and exits

Some variant on the roundabout in West Drayton (UK).

Where are you talking about?  All I see in West Drayton are roundabout-under-motorway interchanges, which have stoplights and (by nature of roundabouts) inside "entrances/exits".

I was looking at where the M4 intersects itself. However, I was only looking at the map, so I didn't see the stoplights.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on April 22, 2019, 08:56:28 PM
I was looking at where the M4 intersects itself. However, I was only looking at the map, so I didn't see the stoplights.

You mean at the A408 & Heathrow (interchange #4)?  Yeah, that's just a roundabout interchange, functionally no different than a dogbone.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cpzilliacus

Replace the busier movements with flyover or flyunder ramps, and keep the others.  That's what was done at the junction of U.S. 29 and MD-200 (ICC) in the Silver Spring area of Montgomery County, Maryland.  Interchange opened to traffic in about 2011, and  so far it works well.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

cpzilliacus

Removing just one leaf of a cloverleaf can reduce weave issues, as was done at the junction of I-495 and MD-97, also in Silver Spring.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

US 41

Making them bigger would fix a lot of issues. I think if the leaves were bigger it would give you more room to weave more safely. Also collector lanes fix a lot of issues. In my opinion the I-22 / I-269 interchange in Mississippi (southeast of Memphis, TN) is the perfect cloverleaf.

I also like what they did on I-80 at its interchange with I-180 in Pennsylvania. They made the bridges on I-80 wide enough to support 4 lanes and built the collector lanes in a more cost effective manner.

The biggest issues with cloverleafs in my experiences are them causing slow downs in the right lane and causing everyone to shift over to the left lane. Traffic speeding from (typically) 25 to 70 or slowing down from 70 to 25 is also a little dangerous especially with the weaving. Collector lanes seem to fix these issues and in some cases collector lanes will have slower speed limits. I know in Danville, IL, the collector lanes at the I-74 / US 150 interchange have a 40 mph speed limit.
Visited States and Provinces:
USA (48)= All of Lower 48
Canada (5)= NB, NS, ON, PEI, QC
Mexico (9)= BCN, BCS, CHIH, COAH, DGO, NL, SON, SIN, TAM

mrsman

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 22, 2019, 10:03:42 PM
Removing just one leaf of a cloverleaf can reduce weave issues, as was done at the junction of I-495 and MD-97, also in Silver Spring.

Agreed.  For a freeway to arterial interchange, cloverleafs should be changed to either a parclo a4 or parclo b4.  I wish that the 495/Georgia interchange be changed to a full parclo a4, so that there is one exit (instead of two) from the inner loop.  There are already traffic signals stopping traffic on both sides of Georgia anyway.

THe problem, of course, is the sequence of exit, entrance, exit, entrance that produces weaving.  Far better to have exit, exit, entrance, entrance and this can be done with some kind of braided cloverleaf or eliminating one of the middle two ramps by parclo.

Freeway to freeway interchanges can be modified with well-placed flyovers or well-placed left side entrances and exits.  Left side entrances and exits certainly have issues, but IMO if the left lane entrance becomes its own lane on the highway (i.e. no forced merge) then there isn't any real problem.  Left side exits are even less problematic.

The Houston area has a lot of these.

Another interchange more familiar to me is in Sherman Oaks, CA.  There, 405 exit ramps to the right and then merges into the left lane of 101.  (This is for both of the "left turn" movements from 405 to 101).  Since the exit becomes its own lane, there is no immediate merging issues. Of course, it would be difficult to merge if you need to take the next exit, so people in the know would only transfer from 405 to 101 left if driving at least 2 miles (exit at White Oak  westbound or Woodman eastbound or beyond).  If I wanted to go from 405 N to 101 N to Balboa, I might instead just stay on 405 and exit at a surface street like Burbank or Victory and just take surface streets to Balboa to avoid the merges.  If I'm taking 405 to 101 and driving to Calabasas or further, the interchange works fine.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sherman+Oaks,+Los+Angeles,+CA/@34.1586198,-118.4721994,16z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x80c297dba79cbcf3:0x39b4e3f8071ff16!8m2!3d34.1489719!4d-118.451357

Here is a nearby example of a braided cloverleaf at 170 at Victory Blvd:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sherman+Oaks,+Los+Angeles,+CA/@34.187033,-118.4037058,16z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x80c297dba79cbcf3:0x39b4e3f8071ff16!8m2!3d34.1489719!4d-118.451357

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on April 22, 2019, 08:51:47 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 22, 2019, 07:32:12 PM
A volleyball interchange does that
A volleyball interchange fulfills none of the elements of a cloverleaf:  it's not free-flowing, it has multiple bridge decks, and it has left turns.

Shoot, I wasn't thinking about the additional bridge decks until I looked at one on a map.
While it does have left turns, it has all right entrances and exits from the freeway mainlines, so it still fulfills one of your two requirements.

MCRoads

Well, I think the best way to save a cloverleaf interchange is to add flyover ramps. Interestingly, if most (or all) of the loop ramps with flyovers, may become a clover stack, or a full stack.
I build roads on Minecraft. Like, really good roads.
Interstates traveled:
4/5/10*/11**/12**/15/25*/29*/35(E/W[TX])/40*/44**/49(LA**)/55*/64**/65/66*/70°/71*76(PA*,CO*)/78*°/80*/95°/99(PA**,NY**)

*/** indicates a terminus/termini being traveled
° Indicates a gap (I.E Breezwood, PA.)

more room plz

yand

It seems to me that every suggested improvement other than C/D roads would replace rather than improve the cloverleaf. If an interchange is using a cloverleaf it's because it doesn't deserve something better  :biggrin:
I make videos for Full Length Interstates. FullLengthInterstates.com redirects to my channel at youtube.com/FullLengthInterstates

mrsman

Quote from: yand on April 24, 2019, 02:57:43 PM
It seems to me that every suggested improvement other than C/D roads would replace rather than improve the cloverleaf. If an interchange is using a cloverleaf it's because it doesn't deserve something better  :biggrin:

Not necessarily.  A cloverleaf is a very old design and was the standard for freeway to freeway interchanges for a long time.  Plus, flyover ramps greatly increase the cost as you add bridges over the whole interchange.  For the most part, a cloverleaf has one freeway bridged over the other (true of every fwy to fwy interchange) and then every other movement is connected via a ramp that does not bridge over other movements.  In that regard, the cloverleaf is cheaper than something like a stack.

Many cloverleafs should be replaced with something else, but often times, the DOTs lack the money.  Cloverleaf to parclo conversions are relatively inexpensive since you are keeping most of what is there, but this won't work on a fwy to fwy interchange.

EDITED TO ADD:

There is a thread in Pac SW about 880/101.  This is an old interchange in San Jose.  Many of the loop movements are no longer so important because of newer freeways like 237 and 280 that short cut some of the movements.  Also, some of the movements can be rerouted onto surface streets, as is currently done with Old Bayshore Hwy.  Obviously not ideal, but if a loop movement that causes a lot of weaving (but doesn't carry much traffic) is simply eliminated it may improve mainline traffic. 

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?board=29.0

And yes, it is cheaper to sign a surface street connector than to add a flyover.

kphoger

Obviously, this would have limited application.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mrsman

Quote from: kphoger on April 25, 2019, 05:18:58 PM

But it would work at a fwy/arterial interchange where the arterial has a wide enough ROW for Michigan lefts.  Basically combine parclo b4 with a Michigan left.  No need to turn across traffic to the fwy entrance, use the Mich left instead.

And as far as "arterials" go, this could even work for some types of semi-freeways like Jersey freeways, expressways, and other semi-limited roadways that aren't full freeways, but still want to restrict signals and cross traffic as much as possible

johndoe

Don't forget about the braided cloverleaf:

Quote from: Mapmikey on May 13, 2016, 07:23:45 PM
Here is US 50's cloverleaf with I-495 in Merrifield VA with braided ramps utilized for a SPUI interchange on each side of the Beltway...

https://goo.gl/maps/mQ21ejB8Yct

Quote from: jakeroot on April 03, 2018, 01:37:22 AM
In Washington, the highest volume cloverleaf would almost certainly be the 167/405 cloverleaf. There's an overpass for one of the movements, but the movement is still a loop, and the interchange is still very recognisable as a cloverleaf. At all times of day (even at 2 am), the southbound to southbound cloverleaf (the one with the overpass) backs up well before the interchange. Some directional ramps for the HOV lanes should help improve things next year:

https://goo.gl/VZy5bL

and a California example:
https://www.google.com/maps/@34.1866034,-118.4009598,17.5z

AlexandriaVA

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 20, 2019, 09:08:55 AM
I've always liked this design (I-395 and VA-7 in Alexandria, Virginia). Relocates two of the loop-around ramps, and alters the approach to the remaining two, to eliminate the weave areas. I suppose it might be slightly more expensive due to the additional overpasses, but on the other hand it may be suitable for tighter spaces.

My exit...use it every day  :sombrero:

EDIT: Since you're talking DC area, what do you think about the North Cap Street cloverleaf (https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9315345,-77.0085404,17z)? I always thought this was totally random...the only cloverleaf in the city, and it's not even on a freeway.

PHLBOS

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on April 25, 2019, 08:29:10 PMSince you're talking DC area, what do you think about the North Cap Street cloverleaf (https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9315345,-77.0085404,17z) ? I always thought this was totally random...the only cloverleaf in the city, and it's not even on a freeway.
Above-Google Map link fixed; had to place a space between the parenthesis and the question mark to get the link to go to the right location.

GPS does NOT equal GOD

thspfc

IMO, Cloverleafs at less busy interchanges (where a rural interstate meets a rural interstate for example), aren't bad. When there are cloverleaf ramps where there should be flyovers, that's dangerous.

Brandon

Isn't something similar already in use in Mexico?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

1995hoo

Lends itself to all sorts of TWSS-type jokes. If you drive through the cloverbone, does that make you a boner?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

D-Dey65

Quote from: kphoger on April 19, 2019, 03:33:56 PM
Collector/distributor roads.
I'd like to see that on the Bruckner Expressway between Buckner Boulevard and Gun Hill Road (or Baychester Avenue), but with no access to the Pelham Parkway and Hutchinson River Parkway interchanges.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Brandon on April 26, 2019, 05:45:38 PM

Isn't something similar already in use in Mexico?

There's this:  https://goo.gl/maps/RLfUJmjzXiuXfrCLA

Ramps for the right-turn movements between the expressway and the crossing arterial, and jughandles on the arterial to complete the left-turn movements.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

mrsman

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 26, 2019, 04:42:18 PM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on April 25, 2019, 08:29:10 PMSince you're talking DC area, what do you think about the North Cap Street cloverleaf (https://www.google.com/maps/@38.9315345,-77.0085404,17z) ? I always thought this was totally random...the only cloverleaf in the city, and it's not even on a freeway.
Above-Google Map link fixed; had to place a space between the parenthesis and the question mark to get the link to go to the right location.

A cloverleaf is not necessary here.  It should be converted to a parclo a4 or a diamond.  Especially annoying, is the ramp from Cap SB to Irving WB to access the hospitals.  The only upside to a cloverleaf is that no direction faces signals, yet a signal is necessary here to stop WB traffic.

Also, it would be nice if more E-W thru traffic were encouraged to take Irving instead of Michigan so that N Cap traffic would not be stopped at the Michigan signal.    I would even go so far as encouraging all Michigan traffic to turn onto N Cap to prevent thru traffic.  N Cap is an effective semi-expressway that avoids all major cross-streets (by using overpasses) between H in Downtown and Missouri Ave except for Michigan Ave.  Since there is no freeway serving the north-central area, this is the closest thing we have to an effective traffic corridor to get us to Downtown quickly.

1995hoo

^^^^

I think I've only passed through that cloverleaf once. Normally if I'm in that area I'll turn right from northbound North Capitol onto Michigan to head to the Basilica or to the Franciscan Monastery. I suppose in theory either of those could also be accomplished via the cloverleaf, but I just never go that way. It's definitely a much more extravagant interchange than is needed around there.

I can't see the District going along with mrsman's idea to route more traffic via that interchange to eliminate or reduce stopping at the Michigan Avenue traffic light, though, because that might encourage faster speeds on North Capitol and the District is very much looking to slow traffic on most streets.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

mrsman

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 28, 2019, 02:52:47 PM
^^^^

I think I've only passed through that cloverleaf once. Normally if I'm in that area I'll turn right from northbound North Capitol onto Michigan to head to the Basilica or to the Franciscan Monastery. I suppose in theory either of those could also be accomplished via the cloverleaf, but I just never go that way. It's definitely a much more extravagant interchange than is needed around there.

I can't see the District going along with mrsman's idea to route more traffic via that interchange to eliminate or reduce stopping at the Michigan Avenue traffic light, though, because that might encourage faster speeds on North Capitol and the District is very much looking to slow traffic on most streets.

That is certainly true.

DC is particularly insidious with regard to certain speed cameras that are placed on interstate highways (I-395 just before the bridge to VA, I-295 at southern limits of DC).  The safety argument for these cameras do not hold water as these are freeways and there are no pedestrians here (but it is fairly lucrative to put a speed camera on a freeway with an artificially low SL of 40 MPH).  This section of N Cap also has a speed camera, IIRC.

I think we have to be careful in distinguishing slowing traffic and dealing with congestion.  While it is true that congestion will slow traffic, the goal to slow traffic for safety should be to keep traffic moving at a safe speed, not to have everyone stopped because of insufficient capacity.  Diverting Mich Ave traffic to Irving will relieve congestion and that is a good thing.  N Cap ccan be redesigned to slow down traffic, without having to make everyone stop at Mich Ave.

mgk920

Either add C/D lanes like at the I-39/90/94/US 151 East Towne interchange in Madison, WI, the I-43/WI 23 Sheboygan interchange in Sheboygan, WI or at most autobahn to autobahn interchanges in Germany, or scrape it all off and replace it from the ground up with free-flow ramps for freeway-to-freeway moves piggybacked over a DDI for a restored cross street, like at the I-39/90/I-43/WI 81/Milwaukee Rd Beloit interchange in Beloit, WI (currently under construction).

IMHO, in nearly all instances where the full cloverleaf connects a freeway to a non-freeway surface road, some form of diamond, folded diamond or par-clo would be massive improvement.

I consider full cloverleaves to be obsolete in most cases.

Mike

yand

Quote from: mgk920 on May 03, 2019, 12:01:38 AM
Either add C/D lanes like at the I-39/90/94/US 151 East Towne interchange in Madison, WI, the I-43/WI 23 Sheboygan interchange in Sheboygan, WI or at most autobahn to autobahn interchanges in Germany, or scrape it all off and replace it from the ground up with free-flow ramps for freeway-to-freeway moves piggybacked over a DDI for a restored cross street, like at the I-39/90/I-43/WI 81/Milwaukee Rd Beloit interchange in Beloit, WI (currently under construction).

IMHO, in nearly all instances where the full cloverleaf connects a freeway to a non-freeway surface road, some form of diamond, folded diamond or par-clo would be massive improvement.

I consider full cloverleaves to be obsolete in most cases.

Mike
Surface to freeway cloverleafs still have the benefit of safety, in addition to capacity and the convenience of not having to stop for signs/traffic lights.
I make videos for Full Length Interstates. FullLengthInterstates.com redirects to my channel at youtube.com/FullLengthInterstates

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.