News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Mackinac Bridge congestion

Started by JREwing78, July 09, 2024, 10:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molandfreak

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 26, 2024, 10:50:57 AMOf course it would be replaced. The economic health of the UP depends on it for tourism and access to the border, the universities up there, etc.
Which also begs the question why the Michigan Tourism Department, various chambers of commerce, and other business interests in the UP haven't put the pressure on the MBA to adopt a better business model for the MacPass at the very least, if not start doing ETC and accepting E-ZPass. People's vacations becoming a traffic nightmare benefits no one.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Molandfreak on July 26, 2024, 12:37:47 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 26, 2024, 10:50:57 AMOf course it would be replaced. The economic health of the UP depends on it for tourism and access to the border, the universities up there, etc.
Which also begs the question why the Michigan Tourism Department, various chambers of commerce, and other business interests in the UP haven't put the pressure on the MBA to adopt a better business model for the MacPass at the very least, if not start doing ETC and accepting E-ZPass. People's vacations becoming a traffic nightmare benefits no one.

Because Flint runs the MBA.

Plutonic Panda

I wonder how much a new bridge would cost today? I mean, it would have to be in the billions.

Moose

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on July 26, 2024, 12:46:21 PMI wonder how much a new bridge would cost today? I mean, it would have to be in the billions.

Not only that, but from my foggy memory. The gist of why they went with tunnels in the study was (even in the late 90s when this was done) They could be built with precast parts that could be sunk and covered and unflooded. While someone else built the road segments, and a third party worked on the causeways and island. In probably less time then a bridge replacement.

A new bridge construction would have to deal with five (Or more) years of construction in weather that is often downright hostile. And worksite conditions they were okay in the 50s, would not fly 50 years later, so the construction was going to likely be much longer than the original bridge.

Even then the study stressed the best alternative was preservation of the existing span indefinitely was a far better option then anything else.

Flint1979

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 26, 2024, 12:39:05 PM

I haven't said a word to you. Wtf are you trying to start?

Flint1979

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on July 26, 2024, 12:46:21 PMI wonder how much a new bridge would cost today? I mean, it would have to be in the billions.
Well it was like $96 million in the 1950's so yeah probably just over a billion today.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 26, 2024, 09:49:29 PM

Bwahahahaha....

You are so silly.

Flint1979

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 26, 2024, 10:11:26 PM

Bwahahahaha....

You are so silly.
Yeah I'm the one that's silly but you mentioned me again after having attacked me in this thread. What is your problem? Oh I don't agree that the Mackinac Bridge should have EZ-Pass? Really? Grow up.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 26, 2024, 10:15:24 PM

Bwahahahaha....

You are so silly.
Yeah I'm the one that's silly but you mentioned me again after having attacked me in this thread. What is your problem? Oh I don't agree that the Mackinac Bridge should have EZ-Pass? Really? Grow up.

"Attacked" you?  BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Are you really this humorless? 

Flint1979

Let's see, posts #152 and 155 in this thread most certainly attacked me. You people don't even know what you are talking about anyway, I don't care how many people on here agree with you.

Flint1979

Oh and #226 was attempting to attack me as well when I hadn't said a word to you in several pages but oh here you are trying to stir the pot.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 26, 2024, 10:56:50 PMLet's see, posts #152 and 155 in this thread most certainly attacked me. You people don't even know what you are talking about anyway, I don't care how many people on here agree with you.
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 26, 2024, 10:59:31 PMOh and #226 was attempting to attack me as well when I hadn't said a word to you in several pages but oh here you are trying to stir the pot.

Yikes. Probably best for you to turn in for the night. Cause this is kind of embarrassing.

Wake up tomorrow with a more positive approach OK?

Flint1979

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 26, 2024, 11:03:23 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 26, 2024, 10:56:50 PMLet's see, posts #152 and 155 in this thread most certainly attacked me. You people don't even know what you are talking about anyway, I don't care how many people on here agree with you.
Quote from: Flint1979 on July 26, 2024, 10:59:31 PMOh and #226 was attempting to attack me as well when I hadn't said a word to you in several pages but oh here you are trying to stir the pot.

Yikes. Probably best for you to turn in for the night. Cause this is kind of embarrassing.

Wake up tomorrow with a more positive approach OK?
What's embarrassing? Not a damn thing. You can turn in for the night and wake up tomorrow with a more positive approach because you have not made no positive approach here.

Flint1979

You are the one that mentioned me and I replied and now your mad. Like I told you earlier, grow up. The Mackinac Bridge will most likely never have EZ-Pass because there is no benefit in getting it. You people think the lack of it causes backups on the bridge, it does not. The bridge is two lanes in each direction, often with a lane closed for maintenance or construction the toll plaza not accepting EZ-Pass is not the reason for any backups on the bridge. Then you say that I haven't given a valid reason why they shouldn't have it, I have been doing that the entire thread.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 26, 2024, 10:15:24 PM

Bwahahahaha....

You are so silly.
You are really coming off as a troll here. You just won't let go of the EZ Pass thing. That was brought up as an example of what could be used for the bridge. The overall tone or insinuation that I think most people are agreeing on this thread is that electronic tolling should be implemented that is also interoperable with other agencies. And nobody is attacking you.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 26, 2024, 11:32:04 PMYou are the one that mentioned me and I replied and now your mad. Like I told you earlier, grow up. The Mackinac Bridge will most likely never have EZ-Pass because there is no benefit in getting it. You people think the lack of it causes backups on the bridge, it does not. The bridge is two lanes in each direction, often with a lane closed for maintenance or construction the toll plaza not accepting EZ-Pass is not the reason for any backups on the bridge. Then you say that I haven't given a valid reason why they shouldn't have it, I have been doing that the entire thread.

1. No you haven't. I decided days ago not to debate this any longer because you are simply being stubborn.

2. I'm not mad...at all. I am laughing at how personally you are taking was just a quip of a joke. Instead of letting something like that just roll off your back, you claim you are being "attacked." Which is wild.

Anyway, hope you had a good nights sleep. I sure did.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.