AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 on: Today at 12:09:17 AM 
Started by Max Rockatansky - Last post by XamotCGC
I wish my area of Kentucky that i'm from had more diverse choices of Gas Stations.  Everything is ether a Marathon/Five Star, Kentucky petroleum supply, or a store associated gas station like Kroger or Wal-Mart.

on: May 22, 2022, 11:59:04 PM 
Started by codyg1985 - Last post by roadman65
Why is AL Freeways having no shoulders on many of its bridges?

This one is one of many I have seen on both I-65 and I-10.

on: May 22, 2022, 11:44:56 PM 
Started by Grzrd - Last post by US71
IMO, the 71B interchange south of Fayetteville should be a full interchange where one of the roads could be a full parkway leading to U of A campus and a west Bypass could start there to connect to 112. This would help the back to school traffic and GameDay traffic. Upon thought nothing will happen to improve the 62 and 49 interchange for the next 5+ years or so. And it would give trucks a bypass. It's a pipedream but it's better to be proactive instead of reactive. Both Arizona and Florida do a great job with that philosophy! Georgia and Arkansas fail at that!

ArDOT didn't think this out very well., but it seems to happen a lot.  ARDOT: planning for yesterday sometime next week

on: May 22, 2022, 11:37:20 PM 
Started by jgb191 - Last post by Flint1979
Charleston is about as free agent of a market as there is on the East Coast.

Other than South Carolina and Clemson football and baseball there is no plurality from any in-state team.

College sports (college football by far #1 here): Half and half between Clemson and South Carolina among those who follow. Bandwagoners flop depending on who is good. Georgia is #3, then Ohio State and Michigan. More OSU/Michigan fans than the 2 local schools, Citadel and Charleston Southern.

Really any of the B1G, SEC or ACC schools has a following here. Even Wisconsin has a bar here for watch parties.

College hoops is North Carolina, Duke, Kentucky, then probably College of Charleston. UNC played at CofC this year and 1/3 of the arena rooted for UNC.

NFL: No plurality. I'd say Panthers are most popular but probably 15 teams have significant fan bases due to the military and transplants. Steelers and Cowboys are probably 2 and 3 with Falcons and Washington popular as well. Atlanta games are broadcast on radio.

MLB: Braves bandwagon got big here during World Series but they are definite #1 here and have been since they moved to Atlanta. Large Yankees and Red Sox fan bases as well. Have seen stuff from nearly every MLB team at local minor league games.

NHL: Mostly Capitals, Penguins, Bruins, Rangers fans. Canes in Raleigh probably #5 or so but growing. Local minor league team is Caps affiliate. Tons of transplants here and you see people from most of the American teams.

NBA: Probably below high school sports locally in popularity. People only follow during playoffs. Not many Hornets fans at all. LeBron and Shaq played a preseason game for the Cavs against the Bobcats a few years back, sold out 11,500 and 11,000 were there to see LeBron.

SM-G998U
There is a bar in Chicago called Duffy's that is a Michigan Wolverines bar.

I wish I could remember where in Boston it was, but there was a small bar that catered to Michigan. An alum that I was in training with found it traveling from Michigan to Worcester and was there over a few Saturdays during CFB season.
The two bars in Boston I can remember were Cask N' Flagon and McGreevy's. Cask N' Flagon was right next to Fenway and McGreevy's was right by the Prudential Center.

on: May 22, 2022, 11:31:08 PM 
Started by luv2drive - Last post by Max Rockatansky
Sequoia-Kings Canyon still only gets fraction of the crowds Yosemite does.  Somehow Yosemite went super big with the basic crowd like Zion did.  If you avoid Yosemite Valley there isn’t much traffic.

on: May 22, 2022, 11:28:47 PM 
Started by KCRoadFan - Last post by Flint1979
Lol. I still call the White Sox home stadium Comiskey. I still call it the Sears Tower. I don't care I'm use to original names. I still call it the Circle Interchange too.

on: May 22, 2022, 11:25:15 PM 
Started by Max Rockatansky - Last post by Rothman
Sheetz is teetering in quality to me, given my last few visits.

A gas station that produces greasy fast food? What is your base acceptance of quality food??
I could get a decent milkshake or other ice cream treat there.  Last few times I've been there, it's been disappointing.

on: May 22, 2022, 11:24:00 PM 
Started by luv2drive - Last post by Rothman
Eesh.  It has been 30 years since I've been to Yosemite.  Sad that even the High Country is crowded now.

on: May 22, 2022, 11:17:28 PM 
Started by Max Rockatansky - Last post by Max Rockatansky
This whole thread makes me think of how US 85 starts in Texas, then has zero signage whatsoever in New Mexico, then is signed again in Colorado.  Is that a case of a route existing nationally but not at the state level in New Mexico?

Kind of works that way with I-305 being recognized by the FHWA but not by the California State Legislature. 

on: May 22, 2022, 11:17:23 PM 
Started by Chris - Last post by architect77
Im hoping some of the permanent overhead sign bridges get installed between now and Labor day? i loathe seeing people cutting across 3-4 lanes in this area because they cant see those signs, especially with all the truck traffic. I see a new VMS that is ready to be installed at The N. Springs Station at 400 overpass, but its my opinion, that 60 percent of people dont pay attention to the Overhead VMS Signs unless there is a serious accident in the area???
\

I think most people read all of them just for the travel time estimates. You find out if your trip is going to be 10-15 minutes or 45 minutes to the next specific location.

Does it seem plausible that maybe all of the overhead gantries are installed slightly leaning down on one side for water to shed along the structure to one side?

Because I have a hard time identifying any that are horizontal to the ground. It could be intentional since that's the commonlity between all of them, leaning a few degrees down usually toward the center divider.

The espress lanes on I-285 could require 200-300 raised signs. I hope it's not a plethora of steel gantries supported on both sides. They cost $60K each, twice as much as a cantilevered support.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.