News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

Pacific Southwest / Re: California
Last post by bing101 - Today at 12:17:12 PM
https://lastreetnames.com/street/

Here is a cool road geek page on the history of LA Area street names. Yes its like gribblenation but for local streets.
Sports / Re: O.J. Simpson, football sta...
Last post by Roadgeekteen - Today at 12:16:37 PM
OJ can rest in peace knowing that the killer is finally dead
Mid-Atlantic / Re: West Virginia Turnpike
Last post by Dirt Roads - Today at 12:15:16 PM
Quote from: Bitmapped on March 14, 2024, 12:22:23 PMRoads to Prosperity had two sets of bonds issued. General obligation bonds, permitted by a voter-passed constitutional amendment, were issued for projects all over the state including, inexplicably, the Beckley area widening on the Turnpike. A second set of bonds, backed solely by toll revenue on the Turnpike from increased tolls, is for projects in the 10-county area of the southern part of the state. Most of those projects are off-turnpike.

Quote from: Black-Man on April 16, 2024, 10:45:32 PM
Quote from: Bitmapped on March 14, 2024, 12:22:23 PMincluding, inexplicably, the Beckley area widening on the Turnpike.
You keep saying this, but is it any more ridiculous than widening I-79 to 6 lanes around Clarksburg, or gasp... let's connect 2 dead/dying cities of Huntington and Charleston with a 6-lane highway. Columbus/Cincinnati and Pittsburgh/Cleveland are not connected with a 6-lane highway but Charleston and Huntington?!?

Quote from: seicer on Today at 09:31:06 AMThe West Virginia Turnpike around Beckley was also widened in recent years because the level of service was not great. Factor in US 19 and Interstate 64 dumping traffic onto the highway, multiple local interchanges, a service area, and numerous grades - it made for a lot of slow driving. It also has a high truck percentage rate. A case could be made to widen most of the Turnpike at this point to six lanes - it can be a slow drive (<55 MPH) for much of the route in the summer because of tourism. (And a point can be easily made for widening southward to Interstate 81. The route experiences very long backups at the tunnels and on the grades because of the high percentage of trucks that use the highway.)

Back to the original argument, Bitmapped was making a comment that a State-funded Roads-to-Prosperity Program funded a widening project on the West Virginia Turnpike that (coulda-woulda-shoulda) been funded by the Parkways Authority (ergo, the Turnpike Authority).  The rest of the discussion should be a political one (that may not be inappropriate on this Forum, as it is related to how the citizenry of a particular state has a penchant for funding highway infrastructure projects, if they can't get their Congressional forces to bring in an earmark).
Sports / Re: BASE-BALL
Last post by Takumi - Today at 12:13:43 PM
Quote from: epzik8 on April 10, 2024, 03:16:50 PMLooks like I've officially missed my chance to catch Jackson Holliday just up the road from me in Aberdeen. The Orioles have called him up.
He'd been in Norfolk before he got called up.

I did see him last year when he was with the Baysox visiting Richmond. Cedric Mullins and John Means were also there on rehab assignments.
Quote from: hotdogPi on Today at 12:06:33 PMThese are two different issues. The earlier one is that someone wanted to have no trace of themselves on the forum, and that broke the database. This is the reason for the mojibake. Later, a software upgrade is what caused the theme change; the forum was down due to server overload from a mismatch between SMF and PHP, which necessitated the change.
I also see that you changed your username... RIP 1
General Highway Talk / Re: Roads that you have been o...
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 12:07:23 PM
I never made it on the Key, but I was on I-35W a ton as a kid. I've also driven the PCH before the rockslides that have made sections impassible.
These are two different issues. The earlier one is that someone wanted to have no trace of themselves on the forum, and that broke the database. This is the reason for the mojibake. Later, a software upgrade is what caused the theme change; the forum was down due to server overload from a mismatch between SMF and PHP, which necessitated the change.

I'm "1". Immediately after the theme change, people could rename themselves at will, but that was quickly removed. I changed my username to match what I use on every other website.

Because the software was updated, the mobile version functions decently (although it hides a few things).

There is one major bug left: searching a particular thread always gives 0 results.
Mid-Atlantic / Re: West Virginia Turnpike
Last post by seicer - Today at 12:06:28 PM

It should be noted that some of these reconstruction projects have different funding sources. The Turnpike widening around Beckley, the Interstate 64 widening projects around Barboursville and Nitro-St. Albans and the Interstate 79 widening project in Fairmont were funded through the $2.8 billion Roads to Prosperity highway construction and maintenance program. The Interstate 64 and 79 projects involve rebuilding 60+ year-old roadway bases and correcting long-standing drainage issues, including significant bridge replacement projects (I've covered this for Bridges & Tunnels). Earlier projects were more piecemeal and shorter in length and were not part of the Roads to Prosperity bonds. I disagree with Governor Justice on many topics, but the bond program has kickstarted long-proposed and delayed widening and reconstruction projects.

Those who have disagreed with how West Virginia is tackling its highway infrastructure come from other states. If your state has four-lane corridors carrying 60,000 AADT, you should ask what it is doing with its funding and why it doesn't have senators and house representatives bringing home the dollars.
What roads/bridges have you been on that no longer exist due to a disaster/collapse? For me, the only one I can think of is I-95 in Philly before the collapse. I've never been on the Francis Scott Key Bridge, but I'm sure many have.
It was down for a couple of nights here and there while some things needed to be upgraded. One thing was upgraded without upgrading simple machines (the webforum software) which caused issues, so they had to upgrade that as well, which led to only having the default theme at the moment. I think it was down for a total of 6 nights(?).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.