News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

Quote from: froggie on January 29, 2022, 10:12:28 AM
^ There's a disconnect somewhere.  NCDOT's webpage on the project lists a 2025 begin, not 2023 as the local representative claims.
It probably has not been updated yet.

froggie

Or the representative was given or giving bad info.

I'd think 2025 would be more realistic than 2023.

jdunlop

Quote from: froggie on January 29, 2022, 10:50:50 AM
Or the representative was given or giving bad info.

I'd think 2025 would be more realistic than 2023.

It's a design-build project, so likely it will be let in 2023 and construction starts in 2025.  (Don't have access to the project schedule right now to check.)

bob7374

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 27, 2022, 06:38:53 PM
I believe I read that the original plan was for the combined Hampstead Bypass/Military Cutoff Road extension to be designated US 17 Bypass, leaving US 17 on its current alignment (something about not needing to update the addresses of everything on the road), but that they decided against this because the "bypass" route would dump directly into Wilmington, not bypass the entire city like I-140 does. This would make NC 417 the permanent designation unless they change their minds or decide to reroute I-140 onto the bypass.

I presume the headline of the press release is a typical case of someone not getting the memo, which most if not all DOTs are guilty of at least sometimes, but is particularly noticeable from NCDOT because of how frequently designations change.
The project webpage does list it as the US 17 Hampstead Bypass, so the writers of the press release have an excuse:
https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/us-17-hampstead-bypass/Pages/default.aspx

But why go to the effort of signing NC 417 temporarily along NC 140, US 17 and NC 210 after the first section of the Bypass is completed if you are only going to remove the designation when the entire project is finished? The last part of the project from NC 140 to NC 210 is not currently planned to start until late 2026, so if the route is to be US 17 Bypass, it will be awhile until it is signed that way, if at all.

RoadPelican

Good things about the Mid-Currituck Bridge, 60 MPH Speed Limit, this will be the first 2 lane road in NC with that high of a limit.  The only other Southeast State that has 60 on its 2 lanes is Florida.

I also like that the intersection with US 158 will be an interchange, great forward thinking by NCDOT on this one.  Good also on widening the north and southbound approaches on NC 12 from 2 to 4 lanes.

Bad things: the bridge needs to be at least 4 lanes especially considering there is going to be a toll and US 158 and US 64 bridges are toll free and are 4 lanes.

A roundabout for the intersection at NC 12 on the barrier island will be interesting, I have my doubts about this working in a high tourist area with many different driving styles prevalent.  I guess there wasn't enough room for an interchange?

sprjus4

Quote from: RoadPelican on January 29, 2022, 12:47:46 PM
Good things about the Mid-Currituck Bridge, 60 MPH Speed Limit, this will be the first 2 lane road in NC with that high of a limit.  The only other Southeast State that has 60 on its 2 lanes is Florida.
I highly doubt it will... more than likely, the article was confusing the "design speed"  with "speed limit" . The project would have a design speed of 60 mph and a posted speed limit of 55 mph.

State law does not permit anything higher than 55 mph on a two lane roadway.

Not that I necessarily agree, but that's the reality. NC-168 / US-158 should largely have 65 mph rural sections, if speeds were realistic, but it's only allowed at 55 mph.

Mapmikey

Quote from: bob7374 on January 29, 2022, 11:38:19 AM
Quote from: Roadsguy on January 27, 2022, 06:38:53 PM
I believe I read that the original plan was for the combined Hampstead Bypass/Military Cutoff Road extension to be designated US 17 Bypass, leaving US 17 on its current alignment (something about not needing to update the addresses of everything on the road), but that they decided against this because the "bypass" route would dump directly into Wilmington, not bypass the entire city like I-140 does. This would make NC 417 the permanent designation unless they change their minds or decide to reroute I-140 onto the bypass.

I presume the headline of the press release is a typical case of someone not getting the memo, which most if not all DOTs are guilty of at least sometimes, but is particularly noticeable from NCDOT because of how frequently designations change.
The project webpage does list it as the US 17 Hampstead Bypass, so the writers of the press release have an excuse:
https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/us-17-hampstead-bypass/Pages/default.aspx

But why go to the effort of signing NC 417 temporarily along NC 140, US 17 and NC 210 after the first section of the Bypass is completed if you are only going to remove the designation when the entire project is finished? The last part of the project from NC 140 to NC 210 is not currently planned to start until late 2026, so if the route is to be US 17 Bypass, it will be awhile until it is signed that way, if at all.

One ultimate outcome that would make some sense given the NC 417 initial routing would be to having NC 417 remain on the current NC 140 portion. 

The 2020-29 STIP has been updated as of Jan 2022 and the mid-Currituck Bridge is shown with construction allocations starting FY 2024 which can mean late 2023.

tolbs17

Bad things: the bridge needs to be at least 4 lanes especially considering there is going to be a toll and US 158 and US 64 bridges are toll free and are 4 lanes.

A roundabout for the intersection at NC 12 on the barrier island will be interesting, I have my doubts about this working in a high tourist area with many different driving styles prevalent.  I guess there wasn't enough room for an interchange?
Well, when looking at these documents, they DO plan on building a second bridge when traffic volumes rise overtime.

And as far as a roundabout, you are already in the island so there isn't any room to put one, really. If they tried doing so, it would be expensive and would cause heavy impact and will sprawl strong opposition to the locals.

I can just say they will follow the same build pattern when building this bridge when they rebuild the Alligator River Bridge. The bridge will be replaced with a 2-lane structure and they'll make room for a future one when US-64 gets widened to 4 lanes from Columbia to Manns Harbor.

Mapmikey

Quote from: tolbs17 on January 29, 2022, 02:58:19 PM

Well, when looking at these documents, they DO plan on building a second bridge when traffic volumes rise overtime.

And as far as a roundabout, you are already in the island so there isn't any room to put one, really. If they tried doing so, it would be expensive and would cause heavy impact and will sprawl strong opposition to the locals.

I can just say they will follow the same build pattern when building this bridge when they rebuild the Alligator River Bridge. The bridge will be replaced with a 2-lane structure and they'll make room for a future one when US-64 gets widened to 4 lanes from Columbia to Manns Harbor.

Not sure how you're translating the mid-Currituck Bridge documents into there being a second bridge there at some later point.

The Alligator Bridge will be 4-lanes from the outset per documents here

tolbs17

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 29, 2022, 03:23:48 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on January 29, 2022, 02:58:19 PM

Not sure how you're translating the mid-Currituck Bridge documents into there being a second bridge there at some later point.
In one of the documents that I linked. You will see "FUTURE BRIDGE" in one of them.

sprjus4

Those bridges are irrelevant to anyone heading to the northern part of the Outer Banks. No one is going to drive 40+ miles / an hour out of the way just to avoid a 5-6 mile 2 lane section.

Because the schematics show a future bridge location parallel to the initial one and has an ultimate 4 lane design.

Mapmikey

Quote from: sprjus4 on January 29, 2022, 03:44:33 PM
Those bridges are irrelevant to anyone heading to the northern part of the Outer Banks. No one is going to drive 40+ miles / an hour out of the way just to avoid a 5-6 mile 2 lane section.

Because the schematics show a future bridge location parallel to the initial one and has an ultimate 4 lane design.

I went back and zoomed in a little further and finally see this.  Note to tolbs:  if someone says they don't see something, it is of zero help to reply that they are in the documents you link to (there were several) and give no further information.

A reason to build a 4-lane bridge from the outset could be that their own traffic study shows a 2-lane bridge will be LOS C on a summer weekday and LOS E on a summer weekend not very long after the bridge opens.

tolbs17

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 29, 2022, 04:02:39 PM

Note to tolbs:  if someone says they don't see something, it is of zero help to reply that they are in the documents you link to (there were several) and give no further information.
When you are on a phone, it can be difficult, otherwise I would have linked it and told you what page to scroll to.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: tolbs17 on January 29, 2022, 06:35:30 PM

Note to tolbs:  if someone says they don't see something, it is of zero help to reply that they are in the documents you link to (there were several) and give no further information.
When you are on a phone, it can be difficult, otherwise I would have linked it and told you what page to scroll to.

Then, IMHO, wait till you get home to respond on the PC, tolbs.  This isn't a life or death situation. ;)

tolbs17

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 29, 2022, 07:37:00 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on January 29, 2022, 06:35:30 PM

Then, IMHO, wait till you get home to respond on the PC, tolbs.  This isn't a life or death situation. ;)
Ok, I will do that

cowboy_wilhelm

tolbs17

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on January 29, 2022, 10:16:03 PM
The Mid-Currituck bridge has a 6/18/2024 design-build let as of January 2022.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/letting/12%20Month%20Tentative%20Letting%20Library/36%20MONTH%20DESIGN-BUILD%20LET%20LIST%20(JANUARY%202022%20-%20DECEMBER%202024).pdf
As of January 18. That article was from January 27 so it probably has been accelerated just a few days ago.

tolbs17

HUGE EXPLOSION IN WINSTON-SALEM!!!!

What's with all the fires in this country lately? It pisses me off that these are happening...

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/01/us/winston-salem-fertilizer-plant-fire/index.html

https://www.wxii12.com/article/winston-salem-firefighters-on-north-cherry-street/38946210#

Rothman

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 01, 2022, 11:45:44 AM

What's with all the fires in this country lately? It pisses me off that these are happening...

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/01/us/winston-salem-fertilizer-plant-fire/index.html

https://www.wxii12.com/article/winston-salem-firefighters-on-north-cherry-street/38946210#
The explosion hasn't happened yet.  As you have been cautioned before, read before posting.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Rothman on February 01, 2022, 01:58:53 PM

The explosion hasn't happened yet.  As you have been cautioned before, read before posting.

^^ this ^^

Tolbs, please read the articles before you post about them.

tolbs17

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on February 01, 2022, 08:28:01 PM
Quote from: Rothman on February 01, 2022, 01:58:53 PM

^^ this ^^

Tolbs, please read the articles before you post about them.
Will read before posting. Thanks.

tolbs17

https://www.ncdot.gov/projects/i40-nc42/Pages/final-design-maps.aspx

Some work has been revised on this project so expect this to take longer than expected. Jones Sausage Rd interchange has been revised to a diverging diamond.

Also the I-40 westbound flyover that goes over I-440 eastbound looks like it will hold 5 westbound lanes of I-40. I assume express lanes are coming there in the future?

Everything else remains the same though

Dirt Roads

It's now official.  I-40 from Hillborough to the Durham County line is now posted as the "Roy Williams Highway" and from there to NC-147 (future I-885) is the "Dean Smith Highway".  It wasn't posted along the route as of this Monday morning, as I've been watching to see when the "Harriett Morehead Berry Highway" and "John Motley Morehead III Highway" signs would come down.  This is sad in many ways, as Harriett was perhaps the first female Roadgeek.  She was pioneer of the Good Roads movement in North Carolina, and was singly responsible for increasing membership in that state organization from from 252 members in 1918 to over 5,500 members in two years.

Anyhow, there is still the roadside Historical Marker for Harriett Morehead Berry at the corner of NC-86 and Whitfield Road, which is just north of Exit 266 from I-40.

jdunlop

Quote from: tolbs17 on February 02, 2022, 03:33:45 AM

Some work has been revised on this project so expect this to take longer than expected. Jones Sausage Rd interchange has been revised to a diverging diamond.

Also the I-40 westbound flyover that goes over I-440 eastbound looks like it will hold 5 westbound lanes of I-40. I assume express lanes are coming there in the future?

The DDI was added due to the Amazon warehouse being built just south of the interchange on Jones Sausage.  Uses the same bridge.

The WB flyover doesn't look that wide when I drive past it every day (it does appear to be finished, with what looks to be two lanes of asphalt there to shift traffic soon.)  But looks can be deceiving.  I know express lanes are planned in the future, but didn't think the bridge would be built to that width now (but designed to allow it in the future.)

The plans you linked to only showed two lanes going from I-40 EB at the 440 split, with a third lane being started on I-40 at the (then) project start.  I caught that about a year and a half ago, and made sure there were plans to have three lanes continue (the Rock Quarry on-ramp lane will be extended to become that third lane.  That was better than a 2-3 split from the existing four lanes.)

tolbs17

Quote from: jdunlop on February 02, 2022, 11:41:49 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on February 02, 2022, 03:33:45 AM

The DDI was added due to the Amazon warehouse being built just south of the interchange on Jones Sausage.  Uses the same bridge.
Yes, I did figure that.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.