News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VTGoose

Quote from: MASTERNC on November 20, 2023, 03:22:13 PM
Looks like the I-77/I-40 interchange is mostly done.  It is confusing with all the cones closing lanes and shifting people around, but it should be nice when opened.

We have traveled through there multiple times while construction has been going on and it will hopefully be nice when done. The lane shifts and bad pavement have been challenging. It's difficult to tell what lanes will go where, although adding more lanes on I-77 through Statesville is A Good Thing.
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

WashuOtaku

The AASHTO 2023 Annual Meeting Minutes have been posted online and here are North Carolina's requests:

QuoteItem 17: North Carolina, US 1
Action: Deletion of route Vote: Approve
Description: US 1 in Franklin County, Southwest of Franklinton, going north along
US 1 Alternate through the town of Franklinton. The route is traveling on a two-
lane, undivided facility with a portion of the route traveling through the central
business district of Franklinton, where on-street parking exists. The route is
approximately 2.7 miles in length and ends at US 1 in Franklin County, north of
Franklinton.

Say goodbye to US 1A through Franklinton.

QuoteItem 18: North Carolina, US 70
Action: Relocation of route
Description: US 70 is proposed to be relocated due to approval of I-42 along an
existing portion of US 70 between I-40 and US70 Business. The route is going
along existing US 70 Business in Wake and Johnston Counties. The route is
traveling along a multi-lane, divided facility going through the municipalities of
Garner and Clayton. The route will cover approximately 11.88 miles, and will end
at US 70/US 70 Business interchange.

US 70 is moving back on part of its former route for I-42.

QuoteItem 19: North Carolina, US 70B
Description: US 70 Business is proposed to be eliminated as part of the relocation
of US 70. The route begins at I-40/US 70 interchange in Garner. The route is
traveling along a multi-lane, divided facility, going east through the municipalities
of Garner and Clayton. The route is approximately 11.88 miles, and ends at the US
70/US 70 Business interchange south of Clayton in Johnston County.

With US 70 moving back on its old alignment, there is no room for US 70 Business, at least between Garner and Clayton; Smithfield segment will remain.

Any surprises here or as expected?

LM117

Quote from: WashuOtaku on December 05, 2023, 10:41:56 AM
The AASHTO 2023 Annual Meeting Minutes have been posted online and here are North Carolina's requests:

QuoteItem 17: North Carolina, US 1
Description: US 1 in Franklin County, Southwest of Franklinton, going north along
US 1 Alternate through the town of Franklinton. The route is traveling on a two-
lane, undivided facility with a portion of the route traveling through the central
business district of Franklinton, where on-street parking exists. The route is
approximately 2.7 miles in length and ends at US 1 in Franklin County, north of
Franklinton.

Say goodbye to US 1A through Franklinton.

QuoteItem 18: North Carolina, US 70
Action: Relocation of route
Description: US 70 is proposed to be relocated due to approval of I-42 along an
existing portion of US 70 between I-40 and US70 Business. The route is going
along existing US 70 Business in Wake and Johnston Counties. The route is
traveling along a multi-lane, divided facility going through the municipalities of
Garner and Clayton. The route will cover approximately 11.88 miles, and will end
at US 70/US 70 Business interchange.

US 70 is moving back on part of its former route for I-42.

QuoteItem 19: North Carolina, US 70B
Description: US 70 Business is proposed to be eliminated as part of the relocation
of US 70. The route begins at I-40/US 70 interchange in Garner. The route is
traveling along a multi-lane, divided facility, going east through the municipalities
of Garner and Clayton. The route is approximately 11.88 miles, and ends at the US
70/US 70 Business interchange south of Clayton in Johnston County.

With US 70 moving back on its old alignment, there is no room for US 70 Business, at least between Garner and Clayton; Smithfield segment will remain.

Any surprises here or as expected?

As expected for US-70/US-70 Business.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

bing101

WashuOtaku

Quote from: bing101 on December 10, 2023, 07:41:19 PM
North Carolina DOT to rename an exit interchange after Stephen Curry of the Golden State Warriors.

https://abc7news.com/stephen-curry-freeway-interchange-north-carolina-exit-30/14163185/

https://www.davidson.edu/news/2023/12/07/take-exit-30-interchange-will-share-name-number-30-stephen-curry

I know South Carolina likes naming interchanges, but I do not recall seeing this in North Carolina (maybe I am just not paying attention).

The Ghostbuster

I would support this on one condition: that the Interstate 76/Interstate 77/OH 8 interchange in Akron, OH is named after Lebron James (Interstate 76 is Exit 23AB at this interchange). James is my favorite player, and I am still bitter that the Golden State Warriors beat my favorite team (the Cleveland Cavaliers) in the NBA Finals three years out of four (2015, 2017, 2018).

LM117

NCDOT awarded a contract to repave a 5-mile stretch of I-140 near Leland between US-17 and US-74. Work will begin early next year, and completion is expected by summer 2025.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-12-13-i-140-repaving.aspx

wdcrft63

Google Maps has recent views of construction of the interchange being built on US 421 (Future I-685) near Julian, southeast of Greensboro.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/egmB5njCUoor5VdZ9

wdcrft63

Quote from: wdcrft63 on December 14, 2023, 07:39:52 PM
Google Maps has recent views of construction of the interchange being built on US 421 (Future I-685) near Julian, southeast of Greensboro.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/egmB5njCUoor5VdZ9
For the Toyota Battery plant.

LM117

D-Dey65

D-Dey65

Another tip. I'm starting to think that NCDOT should add a northbound collective-distributor road on I-85 between Exit 2 and the welcome center, once that section is widened.

wdcrft63

WRAL reports that authorities in Wake Forest and Franklinton, upset in funding and schedule delays for conversion of US 1 to a freeway, are open to making the project a toll road from I-540 to the Franklin County line.
https://www.wral.com/story/towns-push-for-a-study-into-a-toll-funding-option-for-u-s-1-upgrades/21211353/

The Ghostbuster

Adding tolls might be the only way to get the US 1 corridor converted into freeway standards. After all, the state already has the Triangle Expressway (Interstate 885/NC 885), portions of the Wake Expressway (NC 540 only), and the Monroe Expressway (Bypass US 74) as existing toll roads. It was likely only a matter of time before more were added.

cowboy_wilhelm

Won't this require modifying legislation? What is the free alternate route? 401? Didn't they try this with I-95 and everyone hated the idea? The money eventually arrived for construction, a decade later.

Spoiler alert: We're going to start hearing about a lot more delayed projects due to the astronomical increases in construction and right-of-way costs. Total project cost estimates are starting to be counted in billions of dollars instead of millions.

Strider

This is why toll roads are being proposed more. We may hate toll roads, however let's face it... it's going to happen somewhere eventually.

LM117

Annual toll rate increase for the Triangle Expressway and Monroe Expressway.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-12-29-annual-toll-rate.aspx

bob7374

NCDOT has also posted a video touting its accomplishments in 2023. They mention the completion of the Greensboro Loop and the last Craven County contract to upgrade US 70 to I-42, but unfortunately can't mention any signing of I-42 which, hopefully, will occur next year, also the Military Cutoff Extension:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2023/2023-12-29-accomplishments-cross-multiple-modes.aspx

roadman65

I see no mention on Google anywhere about a future direct connection between I-95 and I-42. As of now both I-95 and US 70 Bypass ( the future I-42) will have the same configuration as I-70 and US 63 in Columbia, MO.

Yet somewhere on here somebody did mention that there is a proposal to build direct ramps despite the heavy development within Selma that leaves little right of way to add those ramps. However Texas DOT was able to build a complete interchange between IH 410 and US 281 near SA Airport among a heavily developed corridor using systems interchange flyovers between the IH 410 service roads and IH 410 which I can see fitting in between both I-95 and its frontage roads.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

froggie

^ It was mentioned either upthread or in the I-42 thread that NCDOT did a  feasibility study which included a conceptual alternative that relocates both I-95 and BYPASS US 70 to the south with a direct cloverleaf interchange centered approximately in the NW corner of the solar farm to the south of the existing overpass.  I-95 would be realigned from approximately Exit 95 (BUSINESS 70) to Exit 98 (Pine Level Selma Rd).

PColumbus73

Quote from: roadman65 on December 29, 2023, 10:01:52 PM
I see no mention on Google anywhere about a future direct connection between I-95 and I-42. As of now both I-95 and US 70 Bypass ( the future I-42) will have the same configuration as I-70 and US 63 in Columbia, MO.

Yet somewhere on here somebody did mention that there is a proposal to build direct ramps despite the heavy development within Selma that leaves little right of way to add those ramps. However Texas DOT was able to build a complete interchange between IH 410 and US 281 near SA Airport among a heavily developed corridor using systems interchange flyovers between the IH 410 service roads and IH 410 which I can see fitting in between both I-95 and its frontage roads.

Personally, I wonder if the existing condition would actually be adequate in this case. Direct ramps on the eastern half to I-95 might be needed, but the western half to I-95 would already be covered by I-40 and I-587 (and more distantly I-87).

architect77

Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on December 27, 2023, 04:42:43 PM
Won't this require modifying legislation? What is the free alternate route? 401? Didn't they try this with I-95 and everyone hated the idea? The money eventually arrived for construction, a decade later.

Spoiler alert: We're going to start hearing about a lot more delayed projects due to the astronomical increases in construction and right-of-way costs. Total project cost estimates are starting to be counted in billions of dollars instead of millions.

None of this is about the state trying to take more of people's money.

US1 from Raleigh to Franklin County is a particular nightmare into and of itself. As the Triangle grows development just extends up US1 without regard for how awful the trek to and from Raleigh is. There are 14 intersections between Mini City and Youngsville and people drive painfully slow along this highway, many settling on 45mph though it's signed at 55mph.

At minimum, a 3rd lane in both directions is needed from Perry Creek Rd to Franklinton, and this is outside of any freeway conversion projects. Franklin County is the state's 5th fastest growing, with a population of 150,000 by 2040, just 16 years away.

The financial success and bottom lines for WF, Youngsville and Franklinton are all very much tied to how tolerable driving is on US1. I say tolls are fine if they can quickly make this thoroughfare less dreadful than it is today.

LM117

Quote from: froggie on December 30, 2023, 02:55:53 PM
^ It was mentioned either upthread or in the I-42 thread that NCDOT did a  feasibility study which included a conceptual alternative that relocates both I-95 and BYPASS US 70 to the south with a direct cloverleaf interchange centered approximately in the NW corner of the solar farm to the south of the existing overpass.  I-95 would be realigned from approximately Exit 95 (BUSINESS 70) to Exit 98 (Pine Level Selma Rd).

I think this pretty much kills the idea of realigning I-95...

https://adventuredev.com/eastfield-crossing

nerdom

Why? I thought the realignment was south of there.

kendallhart808

Quote from: architect77 on December 30, 2023, 10:46:02 PM
Quote from: cowboy_wilhelm on December 27, 2023, 04:42:43 PM

None of this is about the state trying to take more of people's money.

US1 from Raleigh to Franklin County is a particular nightmare into and of itself. As the Triangle grows development just extends up US1 without regard for how awful the trek to and from Raleigh is. There are 14 intersections between Mini City and Youngsville and people drive painfully slow along this highway, many settling on 45mph though it's signed at 55mph.

At minimum, a 3rd lane in both directions is needed from Perry Creek Rd to Franklinton, and this is outside of any freeway conversion projects. Franklin County is the state's 5th fastest growing, with a population of 150,000 by 2040, just 16 years away.

The financial success and bottom lines for WF, Youngsville and Franklinton are all very much tied to how tolerable driving is on US1. I say tolls are fine if they can quickly make this thoroughfare less dreadful than it is today.
I think express toll lanes would be tolerable, otherwise I can't really imagine people being very happy about an US 1 (an existing road) being tolled. Franklin County residents would be worse off than Wake Forest residents, who can pretty easily default to both Falls of the Neuse Road and Ligon Mill/US 401 or Forestville. A bulk of Wake Forest has really easy access to those routes. Even Youngsville residents might opt to cut through wake forest downtown. I think they could toll US 1 but it's going to come at the expense of Falls and Ligon Mill.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.