News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

GOES-East Imagery

Started by wxfree, January 11, 2018, 04:47:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wxfree

The new high-resolution GOES satellite imagery recently became operational, and a new web site publishes the images.  I love the new GeoColor imagery during daylight, which is a true color image, basically what you'd see looking at the earth with your eyes.  At night that function isn't useful so they use other imagery.  The GeoColor uses some simulated greens, which is somewhat noticeable.  The view of the clouds over the Amazon rain forest is shockingly beautiful, and a lot of the green doesn't look quite real.  I especially enjoy seeing the shadows the clouds cast on the ground, which are mostly visible only near the center of the image, (eastern Canada and US and western and central South America).  It's also neat watching the animations showing the areas of daylight and darkness, plus the glare of the sun reflecting off the ocean.  I've been looking at it for a few weeks, and didn't think to post it here until now.  The weather is one of the things I'm fascinated by as much as roads.  I love the new imagery.  I'm simply spellbound by it.

https://www.star.nesdis.noaa.gov/GOES/index.php
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

wxfree

Notice that you can click on an animation frame to see that single image.  If you paste the time code into into the full-scale view URL, you can see that image in the larger size.  Each image has a unique URL with a time code so you can link directly to it, instead of just getting the latest image and losing the old ones.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.