News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

General NBA thread

Started by Roadgeekteen, December 27, 2018, 10:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Stephane Dumas

Raptors lead 3-1 in the finals. I hope they'll win the next game. :)

nexus73

This series reminds me of how a favored Oregon Duck team got rolled by Ohio State in the first College Football Playoff championship game.  Raptor physical presence has been off the charts.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: nexus73 on June 08, 2019, 11:43:36 AM
This series reminds me of how a favored Oregon Duck team got rolled by Ohio State in the first College Football Playoff championship game.  Raptor physical presence has been off the charts.

Rick
Some of the Warriors are also injured.

But in all seriousness, the Raptors deserve it, and I'm anti-dynasty plus don't like the Warriors atmosphere after KD joined. I don't think KD was all at fault, but they didn't feel the same afterwards.

SM-J737T

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Big John

The Raptors fans showed their class when they cheered Kevin Durant 's injury.

thspfc

Quote from: Big John on June 11, 2019, 09:22:05 PM
I would have too . . . I'm a sportsman.  :bigass:

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: thspfc on June 12, 2019, 08:28:16 AM
Quote from: Big John on June 11, 2019, 09:22:05 PM
I would have too . . . I'm a sportsman.  :bigass:

Reminds me of when Eagles fans cheered after Michael Irvin caught his cleat in a seam of The Vet's turf and tore up his knee.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

kevinb1994

"The Raptors win! The Raptors win!"

Stephane Dumas

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 13, 2019, 11:49:04 PM
"The Raptors win! The Raptors win!"

About time someone different won a title again in the NBA. 

thspfc

I never thought the Warriors would lose for a second, even down 3-1 after game 4 or down 111-110 with 10 seconds left of game 6. Guess I was wrong. . .

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on June 14, 2019, 10:27:49 AM
I never thought the Warriors would lose for a second, even down 3-1 after game 4 or down 111-110 with 10 seconds left of game 6. Guess I was wrong. . .

It didn't help that Durant was injured, the outcome would have been different if he was truly in the series.  Klay Thompson going down didn't help matters last night.  Steph Curry basically leading a team himself if probably good enough to get the finals but not necessary win it. 

Henry

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 14, 2019, 10:35:48 AM

It didn’t help that Durant was injured, the outcome would have been different if he was truly in the series.  Klay Thompson going down didn’t help matters last night.  Steph Curry basically leading a team himself if probably good enough to get the finals but not necessary win it. 

Second time in four years that the Warriors lose the Finals in their own building, and in the same way: a missed three-pointer in the closing seconds. And even more depressing, it's the last-ever NBA game to be played in Oakland after 49 years.

So the Blues win the Stanley Cup, and the Raptors win the NBA Finals...what a week!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Henry on June 14, 2019, 11:26:40 AM

It didn't help that Durant was injured, the outcome would have been different if he was truly in the series.  Klay Thompson going down didn't help matters last night.  Steph Curry basically leading a team himself if probably good enough to get the finals but not necessary win it. 

Second time in four years that the Warriors lose the Finals in their own building, and in the same way: a missed three-pointer in the closing seconds. And even more depressing, it's the last-ever NBA game to be played in Oakland after 49 years.

So the Blues win the Stanley Cup, and the Raptors win the NBA Finals...what a week!

I'm actually kind of curious how the local fan base feels about the move to San Francisco.  Personally I'd much rather see a game over over in San Fran versus Oakland.   Oakland is generally the easier city to get in/out from. 

thspfc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 14, 2019, 11:56:26 AM
Quote from: Henry on June 14, 2019, 11:26:40 AM

I'm actually kind of curious how the local fan base feels about the move to San Francisco.  Personally I'd much rather see a game over over in San Fran versus Oakland.   Oakland is generally the easier city to get in/out from.
I wonder if they named the team the Golden State Warriors, and not Oakland Warriors, with a possible move to SF in mind in the far future.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: thspfc on June 14, 2019, 05:05:18 PM
I wonder if they named the team the Golden State Warriors, and not Oakland Warriors, with a possible move to SF in mind in the far future.

I wish they would change their name back to the SF Warriors. 99% of the time it drives me crazy when a team takes the state name or a variation thereof when there is more than one team in the league in that state.  I'm fine with the Arizona, Carolina, and Minnesota teams, and the Angels and Marlins did the right thing.  I'm looking at you, Florida Panthers.  The only exception I'm fine with are the Texas Rangers, because Dallas or Arlington Rangers sounds dumb.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 14, 2019, 06:05:14 PM

I wish they would change their name back to the SF Warriors. 99% of the time it drives me crazy when a team takes the state name or a variation thereof when there is more than one team in the league in that state.  I'm fine with the Arizona, Carolina, and Minnesota teams, and the Angels and Marlins did the right thing.  I'm looking at you, Florida Panthers.  The only exception I'm fine with are the Texas Rangers, because Dallas or Arlington Rangers sounds dumb.

How about Metroplex Rangers or DFW Rangers? ;) Now then the Astros are in the American League with the Rangers.

It's very doubtul then the Whalers might return to Hartford back when they was in the WHA and was known as New England Whalers, now then the Bruins are the only NHL team in New England, how about the New England Bruins instead of Boston Bruins just like the Patriots did in the early 1970s when they changed from Boston Patriots to New England Patriots? The Cleveland AHL team, the Cleveland Monsters who's the Columbus Blue Jackets farm team, was once called the Lake Erie Monsters.

jp the roadgeek

The funny thing about the Patriots (and little known) is that there was another location name proposed before they settled on New England: The Bay State Patriots.

The difference between the Whalers changing from New England to Hartford and the Bruins changing to New England is: 1. longevity, and 2. the Whalers were forced to change to Hartford as a condition of admission to the NHL. 

Some of those nickname city locations just don't work. When the franchise in New Britain, CT changed from being a Red Sox to a Twins affiliate, they changed their name from the New Britain Red Sox to the Hardware City Rock Cats, in homage to New Britain being home to Stanley Tools.  However, the Hardware City moniker never caught on, and the city name returned a couple years later.  A funny aside: I was living in Philly during the first season of the Rock Cats, and I'm watching a Phillies game, and Harry Kalas was giving the minor league scores.  Reading was playing the Rock Cats that day.  Harry and Whitey were both stumped as to where Hardware City was, and it took a half inning of research to find out.  Meanwhile, I'm shouting "New Britain, Connecticut" at my TV.

Big John

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 14, 2019, 08:15:03 PM
The funny thing about the Patriots (and little known) is that there was another location name proposed before they settled on New England: The Bay State Patriots.

which was quashed when the newspapers abbreviated the location.

MisterSG1

I don't live in the Bay Area, but I believe it's a thing of civic pride so to speak, so the name "Golden State" is effectively neutral for the entire Bay Area....unless we want to try Bay Area Warriors (the term Bay Area is synonymous with the region) The long defunct "California Golden Seals" which played out of the arena which was finally known as Oracle Arena in their entire existence were the Oakland Seals originally. They did apparently true a few games as the "Bay Area Seals" before becoming the "California GOLDEN Seals", hmm Golden Seals, Golden State.....depending on how you want to define it, the current version of that same franchise is the San Jose Sharks, and they actually identify as San Jose. (As the Golden Seals moved to Cleveland and then merged with the Minnesota North Stars, the San Jose Sharks were founded by separating the shares of the North Stars to create the new Sharks)

Remember that SF and Oakland both have their own MLB and NFL teams (yes I know Oakland's is relocating) and thus being identifiable with the region is arguably marketing strategy involved.

Civic pride is definitely the case involving the Angels, while of course the Angels originally started out as the LA Angels, when they moved to Orange County, they became the California Angels as they were the only team in the AL in California at the time. When that certain company with a mouse got involved in pro sports, getting an NHL team known as the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, they also got involved with the Angels and of course rebranded them to Anaheim as well. When Disney was done with them, the new owners added Los Angeles back to the team, but because of a leasing agreement, had to call the team with its awkward name "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim". Since 2016, the "of Anaheim" has been dropped, but fans of that team apparently cannot adopt being called "Los Angeles". The announcers and all gear regarding the team identifies them simply as "the Angels".

kevinb1994

Quote from: MisterSG1 on June 14, 2019, 10:35:57 PM
I don't live in the Bay Area, but I believe it's a thing of civic pride so to speak, so the name "Golden State" is effectively neutral for the entire Bay Area....unless we want to try Bay Area Warriors (the term Bay Area is synonymous with the region) The long defunct "California Golden Seals" which played out of the arena which was finally known as Oracle Arena in their entire existence were the Oakland Seals originally. They did apparently true a few games as the "Bay Area Seals" before becoming the "California GOLDEN Seals", hmm Golden Seals, Golden State.....depending on how you want to define it, the current version of that same franchise is the San Jose Sharks, and they actually identify as San Jose. (As the Golden Seals moved to Cleveland and then merged with the Minnesota North Stars, the San Jose Sharks were founded by separating the shares of the North Stars to create the new Sharks)

Remember that SF and Oakland both have their own MLB and NFL teams (yes I know Oakland's is relocating) and thus being identifiable with the region is arguably marketing strategy involved.

Civic pride is definitely the case involving the Angels, while of course the Angels originally started out as the LA Angels, when they moved to Orange County, they became the California Angels as they were the only team in the AL in California at the time. When that certain company with a mouse got involved in pro sports, getting an NHL team known as the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim, they also got involved with the Angels and of course rebranded them to Anaheim as well. When Disney was done with them, the new owners added Los Angeles back to the team, but because of a leasing agreement, had to call the team with its awkward name "Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim". Since 2016, the "of Anaheim" has been dropped, but fans of that team apparently cannot adopt being called "Los Angeles". The announcers and all gear regarding the team identifies them simply as "the Angels".

I still call them the Angels of Anaheim.

kevinb1994

Quote from: Big John on June 14, 2019, 08:36:58 PM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 14, 2019, 08:15:03 PM

which was quashed when the newspapers abbreviated the location.

:-D

kevinb1994

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on June 14, 2019, 06:05:14 PM
Quote from: thspfc on June 14, 2019, 05:05:18 PM

Nah, Florida Panthers is fine, because to me, Miami Panthers just isn't working for me.

MisterSG1

Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 14, 2019, 10:50:54 PM

My father still thinks they are the California Angels.....

But myself, as the three letter abbreviation is LAA (and has been since the LA rebrand came around), I sometimes will say "The Blue Jays are in Los Angeles tonight", some do get confused and think they're playing the dodgers, although usually a game against the Dodgers is a tri-annual affair.

kevinb1994

Quote from: MisterSG1 on June 14, 2019, 10:59:04 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on June 14, 2019, 10:50:54 PM

My father still thinks they are the California Angels.....

But myself, as the three letter abbreviation is LAA (and has been since the LA rebrand came around), I sometimes will say "The Blue Jays are in Los Angeles tonight", some do get confused and think they're playing the dodgers, although usually a game against the Dodgers is a tri-annual affair.

That sure does sound like it would confuse the heck out of those that aren't in the know.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.