News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

General NBA thread

Started by Roadgeekteen, December 27, 2018, 10:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

The eastern conference semifinals matchups are set: Bucks vs Celtics starts Sunday and 76ers vs Heat starts Monday!

webny99

... and the western conference matchups are now set: Mavericks vs Suns and Grizzlies vs Warriors.

I can't believe the Timberwolves. Ultimately still a successful season, and I still think Memphis is the better team, but the way they played this series, Minnesota should have won. They had no business losing at least three of those games. Should have been a tied series at worst if they didn't repeatedly blow big leads and choke in the final minutes. Are all Minnesota sports the same?

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: webny99 on April 29, 2022, 11:55:29 PMAre all Minnesota sports the same?

Yes. Every single one of them is a fucking joke that takes a shit as soon as the game comes to crunch time.

What a fucking embarrassment in a city that's done nothing but be losers for over 30 years.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

jgb191

^ I remember seeing Minnesota win a championship before (World Series if I remember correctly).  I can't ever remember seeing the cities of Cincinnati, Buffalo, San Diego, Jacksonville, Portland, Salt Lake, Memphis, Nashville, or Oakland win a single championship, so imagine how the people in those cities are feeling.  Until 2016, the city of Cleveland had to wait nearly a half-century between any two of their titles, maybe one of the longest droughts in North American sports history for any city.  Until last fall, even Atlanta had to wait over a quarter-century between any two of their championships (both happen to be World Series).  So you're not alone.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Ted$8roadFan

Quote from: jgb191 on April 30, 2022, 05:10:00 AM
^ I remember seeing Minnesota win a championship before (World Series if I remember correctly).  I can't ever remember seeing the cities of Cincinnati, Buffalo, San Diego, Jacksonville, Portland, Salt Lake, Memphis, Nashville, or Oakland win a single championship, so imagine how the people in those cities are feeling.  Until 2016, the city of Cleveland had to wait nearly a half-century between any two of their titles, maybe one of the longest droughts in North American sports history for any city.  Until last fall, even Atlanta had to wait over a quarter-century between any two of their championships (both happen to be World Series).  So you're not alone.

Mostly true, with the following exceptions:

The Portland Trail Blazers won the NBA championship in 1977.
The Oakland A's won the World Series in the 1970s and again in 1989.
The Cincinnati Reds won the World Series in the 1970s and in 1990.

webny99

^ I remember seeing Minnesota win a championship before (World Series if I remember correctly).  I can't ever remember seeing the cities of Cincinnati, Buffalo, San Diego, Jacksonville, Portland, Salt Lake, Memphis, Nashville, or Oakland win a single championship, so imagine how the people in those cities are feeling.

However, it's also worth noting that none of those cities have teams in all four major sports leagues. At a quick glance, most have just one or two out of four.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: webny99 on April 30, 2022, 11:06:17 AM
^ I remember seeing Minnesota win a championship before (World Series if I remember correctly).  I can't ever remember seeing the cities of Cincinnati, Buffalo, San Diego, Jacksonville, Portland, Salt Lake, Memphis, Nashville, or Oakland win a single championship, so imagine how the people in those cities are feeling.

However, it's also worth noting that none of those cities have teams in all four major sports leagues. At a quick glance, most have just one or two out of four.

And nearly all of those have had teams at least still reach a championship round. No Minneapolis team has reached a championship round since the 1991 Twins. So no, don't tell me "other cities have it worse" because they haven't. We're all alone in our total embarrassing failure.

triplemultiplex

Well now it's the Wild's turn to disappoint y'all. :P
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: triplemultiplex on May 01, 2022, 03:13:41 PM
Well now it's the Wild's turn to disappoint y'all. :P

Considering they're playing the one team that's consistently had their number lately, it's definitely possible. But we can get it done.

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on April 24, 2022, 07:16:27 PM
Quote from: Alps on April 20, 2022, 11:55:25 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 20, 2022, 11:03:41 PM
Was hoping for no first round sweeps, the Pelicans did their part but it's not looking good for the Hawks or Raptors.
as a Knicks fan, i'm hoping the Celtics sweep first round and then get swept second round

Well, the Nets are the only winless team left, so you might get your first wish ...
No way the Celtics get swept in the next round though.

Wow. Bucks by 12 in Game 1. If a sweep happens, that's your best wish/prediction since the first reply to the NFL thread.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: webny99 on May 01, 2022, 09:33:03 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 24, 2022, 07:16:27 PM
Quote from: Alps on April 20, 2022, 11:55:25 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 20, 2022, 11:03:41 PM
Was hoping for no first round sweeps, the Pelicans did their part but it's not looking good for the Hawks or Raptors.
as a Knicks fan, i'm hoping the Celtics sweep first round and then get swept second round

Well, the Nets are the only winless team left, so you might get your first wish ...
No way the Celtics get swept in the next round though.

Wow. Bucks by 12 in Game 1. If a sweep happens, that's your best wish/prediction since the first reply to the NFL thread.

Depending on what happens in game 2 for the Celtics should say a lot of how this series will go. I expect a lot better game out of the Celtics although I feel Bucks will win this in 6 games.  But for the Celtics this wasn't a good sign for them that the Bucks came in and played a Celtics style game #1-Better than the Celtics and #2- Seemed perfectly alright in playing that type of game.  As a Bucks fan my read from reading and listening to the Celtics talk their plan was to play a bullying style of basketball and wear out the Bucks and Giannis out......and watching game 1 and seeing the Bucks do that to the Celtics you know if that was the plan the Celtics are back at the drawing board today.

So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

gr8daynegb

Grizzlies missed a golden opportunity yesterday. Green gets tossed and you blow a double digit lead.  Maybe next to the 76ers(depending how you see series underdogs) the Grizzlies are the team that could least afford to loss game one.  But Warriors showed their championship pedigree yesterday.  If we get a Suns/Warriors Western conference finals that could be a series people talk about for a long time perhaps.

Ted$8roadFan

As a Celtics fan, I was concerned by the bandwagon effect in which most were picking Boston in part because of Khris Middleton's injury. They discovered that the Celts are not infallible, and there's a reason why Giannis is a champion/finals MVP.

jgb191

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 01, 2022, 02:42:42 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 30, 2022, 11:06:17 AM

And nearly all of those have had teams at least still reach a championship round. No Minneapolis team has reached a championship round since the 1991 Twins. So no, don't tell me "other cities have it worse" because they haven't. We're all alone in our total embarrassing failure.

Well if you put it that way:  From the 90s onward, the Vikings played four NFC Championship Games, The Timberwolves played in the Western Conference Championship in 2004, and the Twins played in a couple of AL Championship Series.  And if you ask me, advancing to, but losing in, the Super Bowl/World Series/NBA Finals, isn't that much of a better feeling than losing in a Conference/League championship game or series, it's still not winning it all.  I wish some fans would give their sports teams more credit than criticism; for all we know, your Timberwolves just might very well win it all next year.

And besides, it's not very nice to quote something I never said.  What I said was that fans of those other cities know what you are feeling like.

jeffandnicole

gr8daynegb

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 09, 2022, 09:56:24 PM
Dealership sponsor for the 76ers has courtside seats.  Then falls asleep during the game.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/sixers-game-man-sleeping-courside-playoffs-heat-dave-kelleher-chrysler-jeep-charles-barkley/?fbclid=IwAR1wT20U7yfq9Q5NyWvAdzrqIUe-wJpkiuW3eZYhC7ukubXuzJPUbTqoZao

I'd rather have slept through the 4th quarter of Bucks game yesterday......but who does that at a playoff game?!?

elsmere241

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 09, 2022, 09:56:24 PM
Dealership sponsor for the 76ers has courtside seats.  Then falls asleep during the game.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/sixers-game-man-sleeping-courside-playoffs-heat-dave-kelleher-chrysler-jeep-charles-barkley/?fbclid=IwAR1wT20U7yfq9Q5NyWvAdzrqIUe-wJpkiuW3eZYhC7ukubXuzJPUbTqoZao

He's also the spokesman.  I wonder if he'll joke about it in his next round of ads.

Meanwhile, the 76ers were fined $50,000 for not being straightforward about Joel Embiid's status for Game 3.  The local news was doing a quick bit a little after 6:00 before the game, the reporter was like, "Wait a minute, Embiid is warming up."

elsmere241

And now Ben Simmons is now asking for an apology: https://heavy.com/sports/brooklyn-nets/ben-simmons-apology-video/

If he really had back problems all season, why didn't he have the surgery sooner?

gr8daynegb

Quote from: elsmere241 on May 10, 2022, 12:16:11 PM
And now Ben Simmons is now asking for an apology: https://heavy.com/sports/brooklyn-nets/ben-simmons-apology-video/

If he really had back problems all season, why didn't he have the surgery sooner?

He had all season to do it, then does a video that implied he'd play in Celtics/Nets series......for him it's best he stays quiet and gets ready for 2022-2023 season.  Not sure beyond his lawyers trying to get money he says 76ers owe him how many people are on his side at this point.

NWI_Irish96

I don't really follow the NBA, but Monty Williams was a contemporary of mine at Notre Dame and one of the best human beings on earth, so I'm rooting hard for the Suns to win it all.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Ted$8roadFan

Of course, I watched the game, and the Celtics lost. The Bucks and Giannis are lethal.

tchafe1978

What a comeback by the Bucks last night!  I had them written off, I'm glad I was wrong. Bucks in 6! Especially if Middleton is back for game 6, which is a very likely possibility.

jgb191

The GS Warriors might be the favorites to win the championship next month, but they looked anything but that lately.  And some people insist the loss was a strategic move by GS to close it out at home.  But then why would they want to extend the series like that?  Every championship team know you close out every series as soon as they can to avoid the inherent and certain risk of fatigue and injury.  And if some insist that the NBA conspires to extend the series to rake in more money, which I do not believe, then by that logic, every series would predictably go the full seven games (no point in watching the earlier games in the series).

gr8daynegb

Quote from: tchafe1978 on May 12, 2022, 10:16:40 AM
What a comeback by the Bucks last night!  I had them written off, I'm glad I was wrong. Bucks in 6! Especially if Middleton is back for game 6, which is a very likely possibility.

That was championship grit on Wednesday.  Get looking like the Celtics were gonna hold off the Bucks, but they found a way. 

I still don't see Middleton at all playing this series. Maybe against the Heat if the Bucks eliminate the Celtics.  This will be a hard fought game again.....listening to the press conferences you can tell the Celtics have the mindset of a team that will content for the championship if they won this series(compared to listening to the Nets and 76ers press conferences where you hear excuses etc).  And when this series ends whomever loses will have woulda, shoulda, coulda's to follow them to offseason. Bucks and Celtics got their first wins of this series dominantly.....Bucks blew a sizable lead just to blow it in game three to hold on by the skin of their team, Bucks then blew sizable lead in game four and Celtics found a way to steal that one and run away, then game five the Celtics get a sizable lead to lose it in the end(point being Bucks and Celtics can both say they should have won series by now).

jgb191

I would love to see a Mavericks-Heat Finals Part III.  Miami won the first meeting in 2006, and Dallas won the second meeting in 2011.  Both times, the Finals ended with the home crowd seeing the visiting team crowned champions.  I really enjoyed seeing the 2011 Mavericks sweep the then-two-time defending champions LA Lakers in what was Phil Jackson's coaching finale; and then seeing them shock the sport universe by beating the star-studded Miami Heat team that had just gained LeBron and Chris Bosh.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.