AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Author Topic: General NBA thread  (Read 73723 times)

JayhawkCO

• Last Login: Today at 11:00:22 PM
Re: General NBA thread
« Reply #350 on: June 20, 2022, 12:02:28 PM »

And the dynasty continues...four titles in eight years!

I don't see anyone comparing Curry to Jordan, though. It wouldn't surprise me one bit, since Steve Kerr played with one and coached the other, and I'd love to hear his thoughts on it. Not to mention that #30 is finally the series MVP.
Curry and Jordan are two very different players.  Comparison is pretty useless due to the difference in position and style.

It also goes back to what I had posted earlier:  Curry's Warriors have the advantage of the current style of basketball with less emphasis on defense, less physical game, plus the benefit of the latest and greatest sports medicine and therapy.  Players in the 1990s didn't have today's technology of sports science, played in a more physical game, and defense was paramount in winning a championship back then.  As far as which era had tougher competition, it's very much debatable, but my opinion is that Jordan faced tougher obstacles than Curry did.  Therein lies my point:  While this year's Warriors I believe might have had a chance to make the playoffs in the 1990's, I just not convinced they would have been a championship contender in that era with their "live-by-the-three" game plan; I don't think it would have worked in that era, and if you were old enough to remember the 1990s then you would more likely agree with me.  These young fans born in this century would not know what the game was like back then.

This year's Warriors would destroy those Bulls. The level of athleticism nowadays is markedly different than it was 20-30 years ago. The skill set too. That said, those Bulls are still the "best team ever" to me.

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 11:47:52 PM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #351 on: June 20, 2022, 12:14:32 PM »

I don't see anyone comparing Curry to Jordan, though. It wouldn't surprise me one bit, since Steve Kerr played with one and coached the other, and I'd love to hear his thoughts on it. Not to mention that #30 is finally the series MVP.
Curry and Jordan are two very different players.  Comparison is pretty useless due to the difference in position and style.

It also goes back to what I had posted earlier:  Curry's Warriors have the advantage of the current style of basketball with less emphasis on defense, less physical game, plus the benefit of the latest and greatest sports medicine and therapy.  Players in the 1990s didn't have today's technology of sports science, played in a more physical game, and defense was paramount in winning a championship back then.  As far as which era had tougher competition, it's very much debatable, but my opinion is that Jordan faced tougher obstacles than Curry did.  Therein lies my point:  While this year's Warriors I believe might have had a chance to make the playoffs in the 1990's, I just not convinced they would have been a championship contender in that era with their "live-by-the-three" game plan; I don't think it would have worked in that era, and if you were old enough to remember the 1990s then you would more likely agree with me.  These young fans born in this century would not know what the game was like back then.

This year's Warriors would destroy those Bulls. The level of athleticism nowadays is markedly different than it was 20-30 years ago. The skill set too. That said, those Bulls are still the "best team ever" to me.

That’s the thing I think tends to get undervalued over time, the progression in athletic conditioning.  I’m also of the opinion that the Bulls dynasty was the greatest in NBA history.  All the same athletes are way better conditioned today then they were two decades ago and the gap only gets more vast the further back in time you go. 

Henry

• Last Login: Today at 10:22:35 PM
    • Henry Watson's Online Freeway
« Reply #352 on: June 20, 2022, 01:35:43 PM »

That’s the thing I think tends to get undervalued over time, the progression in athletic conditioning.  I’m also of the opinion that the Bulls dynasty was the greatest in NBA history.  All the same athletes are way better conditioned today then they were two decades ago and the gap only gets more vast the further back in time you go. 
I concur with the Bulls being the greatest team ever, although I know fans in Boston and L.A. who might not feel the same way.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

JayhawkCO

• Last Login: Today at 11:00:22 PM
« Reply #353 on: June 20, 2022, 01:57:03 PM »

I concur with the Bulls being the greatest team ever, although I know fans in Boston and L.A. who might not feel the same way.

That's okay; it's alright to be wrong.

NWI_Irish96

• Last Login: Today at 06:28:49 PM
    • Travel Mapping
« Reply #354 on: June 20, 2022, 02:22:21 PM »

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-best-nba-teams-of-all-time-according-to-elo/

95-96 Bulls 1815
96-97 Bulls 1802
14-15 Warriors 1796
85-86 Celtics 1784
08-09 Lakers 1769

Objectively, it's only debatable in the sense that everything is debatable, but there's really no metric that doesn't have the 95-96 Bulls #1, and this particular one has their follow-up campaign #2.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 59%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jgb191

• My favorite Interstate!

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 05:49:17 PM
« Reply #355 on: July 26, 2022, 10:53:35 PM »

The Boston Celtics are reportedly interested in getting the two-time NBA Finals MVP Kevin Durant.  While I believe he would put the Celtics over the top for their 19th championship next year, it would come at a great cost to their longer-term future.  So the Celtics have a huge, rather tough, decision to make:  Do they keep the team as is for the possibility of winning a (plural) number of championships in the longer term, or do they disrupt their distant future for the even greater probability of winning a (singular) championship next year?  I can't see Kevin Durant's window of opportunities beyond next year.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 11:52:13 PM
« Reply #356 on: July 26, 2022, 11:43:38 PM »

The Boston Celtics are reportedly interested in getting the two-time NBA Finals MVP Kevin Durant.  While I believe he would put the Celtics over the top for their 19th championship next year, it would come at a great cost to their longer-term future.  So the Celtics have a huge, rather tough, decision to make:  Do they keep the team as is for the possibility of winning a (plural) number of championships in the longer term, or do they disrupt their distant future for the even greater probability of winning a (singular) championship next year?  I can't see Kevin Durant's window of opportunities beyond next year.
Celtics denied this claim that blew through Facebook like wildfire.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Ted$8roadFan

• Last Login: Today at 07:17:40 PM
« Reply #357 on: July 27, 2022, 04:42:34 AM »

Supposedly, the Celtics wanted KD in 2016, but he went to the GSW instead.

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 10:33:07 PM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #358 on: July 30, 2022, 03:11:42 PM »

Am I the only one who has difficulty parsing the abbreviation "GSW"? My brain seems to want to relate it to "GSP" somehow–the Garden State Walkway, perhaps?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Stephane Dumas

• Last Login: Today at 08:08:03 PM
« Reply #359 on: July 31, 2022, 07:40:50 AM »

Am I the only one who has difficulty parsing the abbreviation "GSW"? My brain seems to want to relate it to "GSP" somehow–the Garden State Walkway, perhaps?

First time I heard of that.

Btw, add also then the Lakers, Clippers and Sacramento Kings (do not confuse them with the NHL LA Kings) are also in the Golden State. Funny they didn't complained like Phil Esposito, the first GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning, was angry then the Panthers was named Florida Panthers and not Miami Panthers shouting then Tampa Bay is also in Florida.

jgb191

• My favorite Interstate!

• Last Login: March 15, 2024, 05:49:17 PM
« Reply #360 on: July 31, 2022, 12:17:58 PM »

I wish the Warriors (and several other teams) could acknowledge the city they play in; I've seen the word 'Oakland' on the uniforms, so call it the Oakland Warriors. 
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Ted$8roadFan

« Reply #361 on: July 31, 2022, 12:26:47 PM »

I wish the Warriors (and several other teams) could acknowledge the city they play in; I've seen the word 'Oakland' on the uniforms, so call it the Oakland Warriors.

They were the San Francisco Warriors at one point, and they once again play in that city.  Unfortunately for Oakland, they adopted thE Golden State”  name when they moved there in the early ”˜70s.

Ted$8roadFan

« Reply #362 on: July 31, 2022, 01:50:38 PM »

Very sad news…..Boston Celtic/NBA legend Bill Russell passed away at 88 years of age.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10017227-bill-russell-dies-at-age-88-hall-of-famer-won-11-nba-titles-with-celtics

kevinb1994

• Last Login: March 20, 2023, 11:58:31 PM
« Reply #363 on: August 01, 2022, 08:24:27 AM »

They were the San Francisco Warriors at one point, and they once again play in that city.  Unfortunately for Oakland, they adopted thE Golden State”  name when they moved there in the early ”˜70s.
And before that, they were the Philadelphia Warriors! My high school’s nickname is derived from the Philly version.

There’s an Oakland, NJ BTW

Henry

« Reply #364 on: August 01, 2022, 10:23:06 AM »

There's also the Indiana Pacers, Minnesota Timberwolves and Utah Jazz; they all get a pass because they just happen to play in not only their respective states' largest cities, but also the only true urban areas of those states. (Also, the Timberwolves are one of three Minnesota-branded teams that play in Minneapolis, and the Wild play in St. Paul.)

First time I heard of that.

Btw, add also then the Lakers, Clippers and Sacramento Kings (do not confuse them with the NHL LA Kings) are also in the Golden State. Funny they didn't complained like Phil Esposito, the first GM of the Tampa Bay Lightning, was angry then the Panthers was named Florida Panthers and not Miami Panthers shouting then Tampa Bay is also in Florida.
Which leads one to wonder, did the Houston Astros feel slighted when the Washington Senators moved to Dallas-Ft. Worth (or, more accurately, Arlington, TX--to disambiguate itself from the VA county of the same name) and renamed themselves the Texas Rangers? ("Come on, Houston's in Texas too!")
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Roadgeekteen

• Limon should not be a control city

• Last Login: February 01, 2024, 11:41:55 AM
« Reply #365 on: August 02, 2022, 12:47:27 AM »

Very sad news…..Boston Celtic/NBA legend Bill Russell passed away at 88 years of age.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10017227-bill-russell-dies-at-age-88-hall-of-famer-won-11-nba-titles-with-celtics
RIP to one of the most frequently disrespected GOATS.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Henry

« Reply #366 on: August 02, 2022, 10:09:04 AM »

RIP to one of the most frequently disrespected GOATS.
It was easy to see why: When Russell and Wilt Chamberlain faced each other, Chamberlain had the more impressive stats (scoring and rebounding), but Russell held his own defensively, which led to the Celtics beating whatever team Chamberlain was on (Warriors, 76ers, Lakers) more often than not. In fact, most of Russell's 11 championships came at Wilt's expense, including the playoffs and Finals (once against the then-San Francisco Warriors, and once against the Lakers). These matchups perfectly exemplify the saying that defense wins championships, although Wilt was not that bad a defender either. Chamberlain died in 1999, and 23 years later, the rivalry is once again being played on the hardwood floor in the sky.

Scott5114

• Nit picker of unprecedented pedantry

• Last Login: Today at 10:33:07 PM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #367 on: August 14, 2022, 03:37:30 PM »

Which leads one to wonder, did the Houston Astros feel slighted when the Washington Senators moved to Dallas-Ft. Worth (or, more accurately, Arlington, TX--to disambiguate itself from the VA county of the same name) and renamed themselves the Texas Rangers? ("Come on, Houston's in Texas too!")

Well, Texas Ranger is a profession. Basically the Texas version of the FBI. (Remember Walker, Texas Ranger?) Calling them the Dallas/Ft. Worth/Arlington Rangers wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, since it'd cease being a reference to the Texas Ranger Division.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2022, 03:41:03 PM by Scott5114 »
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jp the roadgeek

• Last Login: Today at 07:11:46 PM
« Reply #368 on: August 14, 2022, 08:57:12 PM »

Surprised no one has complained about a couple of New York teams that don't even play in the state of New York.  I'm fine with any team that uses the state as a location identifier as long as they are the only team in that state.  The only exception I'll make is for the Texas Rangers, because Dallas/Ft. Worth/Arlington (choose one) Rangers just sounds silly.  The Warriors should revert to the San Francisco Warriors, while the Florida Panthers should really be the Miami Panthers (or Les Nordiques de Quebec nouveau, but that's another story).
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 09:45:18 PM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #369 on: August 14, 2022, 10:04:35 PM »

Surprised no one has complained about a couple of New York teams that don't even play in the state of New York.  I'm fine with any team that uses the state as a location identifier as long as they are the only team in that state.  The only exception I'll make is for the Texas Rangers, because Dallas/Ft. Worth/Arlington (choose one) Rangers just sounds silly.  The Warriors should revert to the San Francisco Warriors, while the Florida Panthers should really be the Miami Panthers (or Les Nordiques de Quebec nouveau, but that's another story).
this is the NBA thread, the NY teams play in NY

Henry

« Reply #370 on: August 17, 2022, 12:45:14 PM »

For the first time ever, there'll be no games played on Election Day this season:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34407823/nba-avoids-scheduling-regular-season-games-election-day

(Technically, it would be the second, because COVID delayed the start of the 2020-21 season.)

Bruce

• [citation needed]

• Stuck on I-5

• Last Login: Today at 01:32:08 AM
    • Wikipedia
« Reply #371 on: August 22, 2022, 10:39:04 PM »

Jamal Crawford's pro-am tournament in Seattle ended early because of some mishaps: https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/nba/lebrons-visit-to-seattle-cut-short-due-to-safety-issues-for-players/?src=rss

TL;DR: A small venue (Seattle Pacific's auditorium), huge demand with lines overnight, and humid weather combined to make conditions unsafe for everyone.

Roadgeekteen

• Limon should not be a control city

• Last Login: February 01, 2024, 11:41:55 AM
« Reply #372 on: August 25, 2022, 12:32:59 AM »

Jamal Crawford's pro-am tournament in Seattle ended early because of some mishaps: https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/nba/lebrons-visit-to-seattle-cut-short-due-to-safety-issues-for-players/?src=rss

TL;DR: A small venue (Seattle Pacific's auditorium), huge demand with lines overnight, and humid weather combined to make conditions unsafe for everyone.
Hopefully Chet is ok.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Ted$8roadFan

« Reply #373 on: August 25, 2022, 04:30:16 AM »

So Kevin Durant finally bowed to reality and stayed with the team he tried very publicly to leave, while attempting to throw his coach and GM under the bus. Instead, the owner held firm and called his bluff. It will be an interesting season for them, to say the least.

Big John

• Last Login: Today at 11:59:30 PM
« Reply #374 on: August 25, 2022, 01:09:30 PM »

Hopefully Chet is ok.
Sorry, he suffered a Lis Franc injury and is out for the whole season.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.