News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

PA: I-579 "Cap" Urban Connector project

Started by rickmastfan67, September 02, 2019, 01:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickmastfan67

Just thought that we needed a thread on this subject, as it's a pretty big project here in the Pittsburgh area.

http://www.pgh-sea.com/LHR-i579cap.htm
http://i-579captiger.com/

Starting on evening of September 6th, the I-579 NB ramp to 7th Avenue ramp will be closing for 2 years.  This is the 'left' exit as seen here.

QuoteAs part of the I-579 "Cap"  Urban Connector project, the ramp from northbound I-579 to 7th Avenue will close to traffic at approximately 8 p.m. Friday, September 6 for 700 consecutive days through August 6, 2021. Crews will place concrete barriers at the ramp, southbound I-579 will be shifted into two 11-foot wide lanes, and line painting operations will occur through Saturday morning. Approximately 2,250 vehicles use the ramp each day.

At least the 'right exit ramp' for PPG Arena/Centre Avenue is going to stay open.

==

MOD NOTE: repaired all post subjects in thread due to database issue on 09/30/23.

silverback1065

i think pittsburgh has the worst urban freeways in america from a design aspect. 

Gnutella

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 02, 2019, 11:26:43 AM
i think pittsburgh has the worst urban freeways in america from a design aspect. 

That's because most of them predate the Interstate Highway System, and properly upgrading them would be insanely expensive for a list of reasons, both obvious and not so obvious.

The Ghostbuster

The cap seems like a good idea. Are there any other freeway segments in the Pittsburgh area where a similar cap could possibly be constructed?

Bitmapped

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 03, 2019, 02:28:42 PM
The cap seems like a good idea. Are there any other freeway segments in the Pittsburgh area where a similar cap could possibly be constructed?

Over the bathtub section of I-376 westbound and the 10th Street Bypass, but I don't know there's a lot of development potential for those locations.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: Bitmapped on September 05, 2019, 09:54:01 AM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 03, 2019, 02:28:42 PM

Over the bathtub section of I-376 westbound and the 10th Street Bypass, but I don't know there's a lot of development potential for those locations.

The Bathtub I-376 might be possible, but then again, you have all those left exits/entrances in that area.  :-/

As for the 10th Street Bypass, yeah, no there, as they do already have a trail right along the river beside the road.  Would have to remove that trail for the supports and I don't think that would be worth it.

rickmastfan67

SkyPesos

Quote from: silverback1065 on September 02, 2019, 11:26:43 AM
Unlike the flat cornfields us two live in, topography exists in Pittsburgh  :bigass:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.