AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: General NBA thread  (Read 32065 times)

JayhawkCO

• Last Login: Today at 10:08:16 AM
Re: General NBA thread
« Reply #350 on: June 20, 2022, 12:02:28 PM »

And the dynasty continues...four titles in eight years!

I don't see anyone comparing Curry to Jordan, though. It wouldn't surprise me one bit, since Steve Kerr played with one and coached the other, and I'd love to hear his thoughts on it. Not to mention that #30 is finally the series MVP.
Curry and Jordan are two very different players.  Comparison is pretty useless due to the difference in position and style.

It also goes back to what I had posted earlier:  Curry's Warriors have the advantage of the current style of basketball with less emphasis on defense, less physical game, plus the benefit of the latest and greatest sports medicine and therapy.  Players in the 1990s didn't have today's technology of sports science, played in a more physical game, and defense was paramount in winning a championship back then.  As far as which era had tougher competition, it's very much debatable, but my opinion is that Jordan faced tougher obstacles than Curry did.  Therein lies my point:  While this year's Warriors I believe might have had a chance to make the playoffs in the 1990's, I just not convinced they would have been a championship contender in that era with their "live-by-the-three" game plan; I don't think it would have worked in that era, and if you were old enough to remember the 1990s then you would more likely agree with me.  These young fans born in this century would not know what the game was like back then.

This year's Warriors would destroy those Bulls. The level of athleticism nowadays is markedly different than it was 20-30 years ago. The skill set too. That said, those Bulls are still the "best team ever" to me.

Max Rockatansky

• Last Login: Today at 10:20:57 AM
    • Gribblenation
« Reply #351 on: June 20, 2022, 12:14:32 PM »

I don't see anyone comparing Curry to Jordan, though. It wouldn't surprise me one bit, since Steve Kerr played with one and coached the other, and I'd love to hear his thoughts on it. Not to mention that #30 is finally the series MVP.
Curry and Jordan are two very different players.  Comparison is pretty useless due to the difference in position and style.

It also goes back to what I had posted earlier:  Curry's Warriors have the advantage of the current style of basketball with less emphasis on defense, less physical game, plus the benefit of the latest and greatest sports medicine and therapy.  Players in the 1990s didn't have today's technology of sports science, played in a more physical game, and defense was paramount in winning a championship back then.  As far as which era had tougher competition, it's very much debatable, but my opinion is that Jordan faced tougher obstacles than Curry did.  Therein lies my point:  While this year's Warriors I believe might have had a chance to make the playoffs in the 1990's, I just not convinced they would have been a championship contender in that era with their "live-by-the-three" game plan; I don't think it would have worked in that era, and if you were old enough to remember the 1990s then you would more likely agree with me.  These young fans born in this century would not know what the game was like back then.

This year's Warriors would destroy those Bulls. The level of athleticism nowadays is markedly different than it was 20-30 years ago. The skill set too. That said, those Bulls are still the "best team ever" to me.

Thatís the thing I think tends to get undervalued over time, the progression in athletic conditioning.  Iím also of the opinion that the Bulls dynasty was the greatest in NBA history.  All the same athletes are way better conditioned today then they were two decades ago and the gap only gets more vast the further back in time you go. 

Henry

• Last Login: Today at 01:39:43 AM
    • Henry Watson's Online Freeway
« Reply #352 on: June 20, 2022, 01:35:43 PM »

Thatís the thing I think tends to get undervalued over time, the progression in athletic conditioning.  Iím also of the opinion that the Bulls dynasty was the greatest in NBA history.  All the same athletes are way better conditioned today then they were two decades ago and the gap only gets more vast the further back in time you go. 
I concur with the Bulls being the greatest team ever, although I know fans in Boston and L.A. who might not feel the same way.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

JayhawkCO

• Last Login: Today at 10:08:16 AM
« Reply #353 on: June 20, 2022, 01:57:03 PM »

I concur with the Bulls being the greatest team ever, although I know fans in Boston and L.A. who might not feel the same way.

That's okay; it's alright to be wrong.

NWI_Irish96

• Formerly cabiness42

• Last Login: Today at 10:12:46 AM
« Reply #354 on: June 20, 2022, 02:22:21 PM »

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-best-nba-teams-of-all-time-according-to-elo/

95-96 Bulls 1815
96-97 Bulls 1802
14-15 Warriors 1796
85-86 Celtics 1784
08-09 Lakers 1769

Objectively, it's only debatable in the sense that everything is debatable, but there's really no metric that doesn't have the 95-96 Bulls #1, and this particular one has their follow-up campaign #2.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.