AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NFL (2022 Season)  (Read 167522 times)

The Ghostbuster

• Last Login: Today at 04:23:57 PM
Re: NFL (2022 Season)
« Reply #2925 on: June 21, 2022, 06:21:36 PM »

Tom Brady is going to be without one of his favorite targets this upcoming season, as Rob Gronkowski has decided to call it a career for the second time: https://www.nfl.com/news/four-time-super-bowl-champion-rob-gronkowski-announces-retirement-after-11-seaso. I wonder if this means we will see Gronkowski return to Fox Sports, like he did during his first retirement?

gr8daynegb

• Last Login: August 18, 2022, 02:45:21 PM
« Reply #2926 on: June 21, 2022, 07:20:48 PM »

Tom Brady is going to be without one of his favorite targets this upcoming season, as Rob Gronkowski has decided to call it a career for the second time: https://www.nfl.com/news/four-time-super-bowl-champion-rob-gronkowski-announces-retirement-after-11-seaso. I wonder if this means we will see Gronkowski return to Fox Sports, like he did during his first retirement?

Or WWE as he seemed to have some interest there too in the past
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

webny99

• Left lane is for passing, not camping!

• Last Login: Today at 08:31:04 PM
« Reply #2927 on: July 06, 2022, 08:24:36 PM »

Thoughts on Baker Mayfield to the Panthers?

I wanted to see Jimmy G to the Panthers and Baker Mayfield to the Seahawks, that just seemed to make the most sense for all teams involved. I think Jimmy G is better than Baker and the Panthers could use someone with as much experience as possible, plus the Darnold/Mayfield thing is kind of awkward.

And from a Seahawks POV, Baker is still a big upgrade over Drew Lock. But there's no way Jimmy G goes to Seattle so he may end up a backup somewhere.
On April 25, 2022, I became the 20th user in forum history to Like the Forum Way, Way Too Much. And then I found that there's another way...
__ _______ ___ __ _______ _____

Alps

• y u m

• Elimitante the truck trarffic,

• Last Login: Today at 08:52:54 AM
    • Alps' Roads
« Reply #2928 on: July 06, 2022, 08:52:02 PM »

Thoughts on Baker Mayfield to the Panthers?

I wanted to see Jimmy G to the Panthers and Baker Mayfield to the Seahawks, that just seemed to make the most sense for all teams involved. I think Jimmy G is better than Baker and the Panthers could use someone with as much experience as possible, plus the Darnold/Mayfield thing is kind of awkward.

And from a Seahawks POV, Baker is still a big upgrade over Drew Lock. But there's no way Jimmy G goes to Seattle so he may end up a backup somewhere.
It's laughable.

DenverBrian

• Last Login: Today at 08:50:26 PM
« Reply #2929 on: July 06, 2022, 08:56:23 PM »

Browns at Panthers September 11...my, my.

webny99

« Reply #2930 on: July 12, 2022, 03:22:02 PM »

The Athletic Football Show podcast has a 6-episode series about Andrew Luck that came out this week... interesting insight for anyone that followed Luck's career/early retirement: https://www.stitcher.com/show/the-athletic-football-show-a-show-about-the-nfl

Luck's retirement was one of the few NFL moments I don't think I'll ever forget. Truly and unbelievably stunning the way it unfolded.
On April 25, 2022, I became the 20th user in forum history to Like the Forum Way, Way Too Much. And then I found that there's another way...

Ted$8roadFan

• Last Login: Today at 06:32:32 PM
« Reply #2931 on: July 12, 2022, 04:40:43 PM »

The Athletic Football Show podcast has a 6-episode series about Andrew Luck that came out this week... interesting insight for anyone that followed Luck's career/early retirement: https://www.stitcher.com/show/the-athletic-football-show-a-show-about-the-nfl

Luck's retirement was one of the few NFL moments I don't think I'll ever forget. Truly and unbelievably stunning the way it unfolded.

Luck himself has been mostly quiet since his retirement. Were he to write a tell-all, it could be a best-seller.

webny99

« Reply #2932 on: July 13, 2022, 06:04:39 PM »

Luck himself has been mostly quiet since his retirement. Were he to write a tell-all, it could be a best-seller.

This series might be as close as we ever get. Made it to the final episode today and it's very well done. It's a back-and-forth between narration by Colts beat reporter Zach Keefer and commentary from various Colts and NFL figures. I'm not usually a huge fan of that style and prefer a conversational style, but it worked well here. Lots of background on the decision to move on from Peyton, Luck's early career, injuries, comeback campaign in 2018, etc.

gr8daynegb

• Last Login: August 18, 2022, 02:45:21 PM
« Reply #2933 on: July 13, 2022, 06:57:11 PM »

This series might be as close as we ever get. Made it to the final episode today and it's very well done. It's a back-and-forth between narration by Colts beat reporter Zach Keefer and commentary from various Colts and NFL figures. I'm not usually a huge fan of that style and prefer a conversational style, but it worked well here. Lots of background on the decision to move on from Peyton, Luck's early career, injuries, comeback campaign in 2018, etc.

Stinks with the injuries he had to deal with causing early retirement.  Would like to think he'd have been a HOF QB, or well on HOF path, if he was still playing.
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

thspfc

• I-180 in Wyoming >>>>> I-70 in Colorado

• Last Login: Today at 06:52:04 PM
« Reply #2934 on: July 16, 2022, 09:31:39 PM »

Very out-of-the-blue post, but I remember last year a couple of us "forked" teams once we were confident they weren't going to make the playoffs, and accumulated a list of such teams over time until the end of the regular season. I think that's a fun idea, what if we had an organized "forking" competition for this season?

For example:

Fork before season starts: 20 points
Fork weeks 1 through 7: 15 points
Fork weeks 8 through 11: 11 points
Fork weeks 12 through 14: 8 points
Fork weeks 15 and 16: 6 points

The deadline to make final forks would be Thursday 12/29, the start of week 17. After week 17, it's just picking week 18 games which isn't really the spirit.

Of course, there would be a penalty for an incorrect fork. Maybe -30 points? It would have to be steep in order to encourage smart and timely picks.

Forking a team after they have been eliminated from playoff contention would obviously net you 0 points.

So, who is interested? Any disputes on the points system?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 09:34:33 PM by thspfc »
Whether a team makes the playoffs isn't comparable to whether they are above .500. Part of making the playoffs is getting the wins when you need them to get in, which Brady/Belichick always found a way to do. That's skill. Being above .500 or below .500 is just however things shake out. That's luck.

JayhawkCO

• Last Login: Today at 04:16:04 PM
« Reply #2935 on: July 16, 2022, 11:38:12 PM »

Very out-of-the-blue post, but I remember last year a couple of us "forked" teams once we were confident they weren't going to make the playoffs, and accumulated a list of such teams over time until the end of the regular season. I think that's a fun idea, what if we had an organized "forking" competition for this season?

For example:

Fork before season starts: 20 points
Fork weeks 1 through 7: 15 points
Fork weeks 8 through 11: 11 points
Fork weeks 12 through 14: 8 points
Fork weeks 15 and 16: 6 points

The deadline to make final forks would be Thursday 12/29, the start of week 17. After week 17, it's just picking week 18 games which isn't really the spirit.

Of course, there would be a penalty for an incorrect fork. Maybe -30 points? It would have to be steep in order to encourage smart and timely picks.

Forking a team after they have been eliminated from playoff contention would obviously net you 0 points.

So, who is interested? Any disputes on the points system?

I'm down.

webny99

« Reply #2936 on: July 19, 2022, 04:00:57 PM »

Oh, I am obviously down for this as well. I think it was me that started it last year, remembering that it was an old Around the NFL podcast segment that I enjoyed.

My only suggestion would be to make it 4 tiers with 5-point increments for simplicity's sake. Keeping preseason at 20 pts, maybe something like 15 for weeks 1-8, 10 for weeks 9-12, and 5 for weeks 13-16? And I'm good with -30 points for an incorrect fork.

NWI_Irish96

• Formerly cabiness42

• Last Login: Today at 06:59:32 PM
« Reply #2937 on: July 19, 2022, 04:57:05 PM »

I'm in. Put me down for Detroit today.

thspfc

« Reply #2938 on: July 20, 2022, 11:33:58 AM »

Oh, I am obviously down for this as well. I think it was me that started it last year, remembering that it was an old Around the NFL podcast segment that I enjoyed.

My only suggestion would be to make it 4 tiers with 5-point increments for simplicity's sake. Keeping preseason at 20 pts, maybe something like 15 for weeks 1-8, 10 for weeks 9-12, and 5 for weeks 13-16? And I'm good with -30 points for an incorrect fork.
How about we meet in the middle:

Preseason: 20 points
Weeks 1-8: 15 points
Weeks 9-13: 10 points
Weeks 14-16: 5 points
Whether a team makes the playoffs isn't comparable to whether they are above .500. Part of making the playoffs is getting the wins when you need them to get in, which Brady/Belichick always found a way to do. That's skill. Being above .500 or below .500 is just however things shake out. That's luck.

webny99

« Reply #2939 on: July 20, 2022, 11:38:27 PM »

My only suggestion would be to make it 4 tiers with 5-point increments for simplicity's sake. ...
How about we meet in the middle:

Preseason: 20 points
Weeks 1-8: 15 points
Weeks 9-13: 10 points
Weeks 14-16: 5 points

:thumbsup:

jlam

• Road enthusiast, mapmaker

• Last Login: Today at 08:41:19 PM
« Reply #2940 on: July 21, 2022, 10:43:33 AM »

Deal. Put me in for Atlanta, Houston, both NY teams, and Chicago. And Detroit if we can do repeats of other forum members’ selections.
Bear down Arizona!
My profile picture is the route closest to me.
Counties I II | Photos

thspfc

« Reply #2941 on: July 21, 2022, 12:18:21 PM »

Deal. Put me in for Atlanta, Houston, both NY teams, and Chicago. And Detroit if we can do repeats of other forum members’ selections.
Yes, repeats are allowed.

And one final thing I forgot to add: if you haven't forked 18 teams by the start of week 17, you will be docked 30 points for every missing team (i.e. if you only do 16 you'll lose 60 points).

I think that's necessary because otherwise people can just fork the teams that are obviously going to miss out and leave the close ones untouched so as to guarantee no wrong forks. And that's boring.

thspfc

« Reply #2942 on: July 21, 2022, 12:27:32 PM »

Now that we've got several people in this, I'll make a table to keep track, which I'll update at the end of every points period. Anyone else reading this, feel free to join whenever.

NWI_Irish96
Lions

jlam
Falcons
Texans
Jets
Giants
Bears
Lions

thspfc
Texans
Jaguars
Giants
Falcons
Bears
Lions
Seahawks

jayhawkco
Giants
Panthers
Seahawks
Jets
Falcons
Browns
Jaguars
Lions
Bears
Commanders

webny99
Steelers
Browns
Jets
Patriots
Texans
Titans
Falcons
Giants
Commanders
Seahawks
Lions
Bears

CoreySamson
Falcons
Bears
Giants
Panthers
Jaguars

hobsini2
Jets
Texans
Jaguars
Steelers
Broncos
Commanders
Giants
Panthers
Falcons
Saints
Lions

Since the season is still quite a ways away, we'll say that you can undo a fork until the season starts (in case of an unforeseen trade or major injury in the division or whatever). But come week 1, no takebacks.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 05:06:03 PM by thspfc »

webny99

« Reply #2943 on: July 21, 2022, 12:29:45 PM »

Yes, repeats are allowed.

And one final thing I forgot to add: if you haven't forked 18 teams by the start of week 17, you will be docked 30 points for every missing team (i.e. if you only do 16 you'll lose 60 points).

I think that's necessary because otherwise people can just fork the teams that are obviously going to miss out and leave the close ones untouched so as to guarantee no wrong forks. And that's boring.

Concur with that. The spirit of the game is to go out on a limb and make some tough choices.

We might need a table or some way to keep track, unless everyone just keeps track of their own.

Now that we've got several people in this, I'll make a table to keep track, which I'll update at the end of every points period...

Edit: Wow, that was good timing. Sounds good!

CoreySamson

• Buc-ee's Fanboy

• Last Login: August 18, 2022, 09:08:41 PM
« Reply #2944 on: July 21, 2022, 12:38:36 PM »

Put me down for the Falcons, Bears, Giants, Browns, Panthers, and Jaguars.

thspfc

« Reply #2945 on: July 21, 2022, 01:50:15 PM »

Put me down for the Falcons, Bears, Giants, Browns, Panthers, and Jaguars.
Edited you into the table.

Ted$8roadFan

« Reply #2946 on: July 27, 2022, 04:45:39 AM »

So….the Arizona Cardinals gave a guaranteed $160m to Kyler Murray, but included a proviso that he spend four hours per week on film study. A very odd situation.

webny99

« Reply #2947 on: July 27, 2022, 11:22:02 AM »

So….the Arizona Cardinals gave a guaranteed $160m to Kyler Murray, but included a proviso that he spend four hours per week on film study. A very odd situation.

Yikes. Not good really for either side that that got leaked, but especially Kyler. This is going to stick to him for a long time unless he wins a Super Bowl (and the Cardinals' roster is not that great, so that's probably not going to happen in the next few years...)

Ted$8roadFan

« Reply #2948 on: July 29, 2022, 04:54:33 AM »

Training camp has begun for the 2022 season.

thspfc

« Reply #2949 on: July 29, 2022, 08:43:14 AM »

And now Arizona removed the homework clause lol. Honestly, removing it after causing a media stir is even worse than including it in the first place.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.