News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEWIGuy

Burrow isn't going to last if he keeps getting hit like he did last night.

1995hoo

Quote from: Buck87 on September 18, 2020, 01:07:59 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 18, 2020, 11:06:25 AM
I think the main reason the two Ohio teams were chosen for last night is symbolic: September 17, 1920, was the date of the meeting in Canton at which the APFA (which later changed its name to the NFL) was founded.

Interesting fact, thanks for pointing that out. That would certainly makes sense.

Anyway, I enjoyed watching the Browns win the game last night. Our next game is against the Football Team. 

No, it's against the Eagles!

Quote from: cabiness42 on September 15, 2020, 10:15:10 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 14, 2020, 07:56:42 AM
Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on September 14, 2020, 03:37:55 AM
This season I'm following "the" Football Team just because :sombrero:.

I've decided I think I'll call every team by "[City Name] Football Team" (or, for New York and LA, "[City Name] [NFC or AFC] Football Team" except for continuing to call the local team the Washington Redskins.

Let's spice things up a bit. "Football Team" gets to take an opponent's nickname when they win.

Washington beat Philadelphia in Week 1, so Washington is now the Eagles and Philadelphia is "Football Team." When Philadelphia wins their next game, they get to take the opponent's nickname and "Football Team" passes to them. See who gets stuck as "Football Team" at the end of the season.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Snakes alive, that Falcons-Cowboys ending was something. Cowboys win 40-39 after holding a lead for literally zero seconds the entire game. The Falcons are truly cursed on Texas soil.

kevinb1994

Quote from: webny99 on September 20, 2020, 05:24:10 PM
Snakes alive, that Falcons-Cowboys ending was something. Cowboys win 40-39 after holding a lead for literally zero seconds the entire game. The Falcons are truly cursed on Texas soil.
And the Jags are truly cursed on Tennessee soil. T For Texas, T For Tennessee (with apologies to Jimmie Rodgers).

webny99

Still digesting the Bills somewhat wild 31-28 win in Miami. The offense looks much improved - that was the best game by a Bills QB in my lifetime, easily. Now if only the defense can step up and look like it did last year (they only allowed 28 or more points once the entire 2019 season), then we can legitimately talk Super Bowl or at least deep playoff run.

thspfc

How bout dem Cowboys! I never lost confidence in Dak Prescott to at least make it a nervous ending for Atlanta. Anyone who still says Prescott isn't a franchise QB is legally insane. Based off last year and the first two weeks of this year he's easily top 10, maybe top 5. The Eagles also suck, again. Surprise!  :rolleyes:

NWI_Irish96

I've decided I think I'll call every team by "[City Name] Football Team" (or, for New York and LA, "[City Name] [NFC or AFC] Football Team" except for continuing to call the local team the Washington Redskins.

Let's spice things up a bit. "Football Team" gets to take an opponent's nickname when they win.

Washington beat Philadelphia in Week 1, so Washington is now the Eagles and Philadelphia is "Football Team." When Philadelphia wins their next game, they get to take the opponent's nickname and "Football Team" passes to them. See who gets stuck as "Football Team" at the end of the season.

Philadelphia lost again, so they reamain "Football Team" for another week.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on September 20, 2020, 05:47:59 PM
How bout dem Cowboys! I never lost confidence in Dak Prescott to at least make it a nervous ending for Atlanta.

There was a stat going around that entering yesterday, teams since 1933 with at least 39 points and 0 turnovers are 440-0!!!
With the inexplicable Falcons loss, that record falls to 440-1.  :rofl:

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on September 21, 2020, 06:52:21 PM
How bout dem Cowboys! I never lost confidence in Dak Prescott to at least make it a nervous ending for Atlanta.

There was a stat going around that entering yesterday, teams since 1933 with at least 39 points and 0 turnovers are 440-0!!!
Prescott also became the first player in NFL history to throw for at least 300 yards and run for at least 3 touchdowns in a game. If that's not remarkable enough, consider that he threw for 450 yards and one touchdown, giving him 4 TD's total.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: thspfc on September 21, 2020, 06:58:09 PM

Prescott also became the first player in NFL history to throw for at least 300 yards and run for at least 3 touchdowns in a game. If that's not remarkable enough, consider that he threw for 450 yards and one touchdown, giving him 4 TD's total.

When the Falcons lose, they make it memorable.

thspfc

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 21, 2020, 07:19:42 PM
Quote from: thspfc on September 21, 2020, 06:58:09 PM

They certainly did yesterday. Game of the season so far, and it could end up being the game of the season period.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on September 21, 2020, 09:57:46 PM
They certainly did yesterday. Game of the season so far, and it could end up being the game of the season period.

Definitely the wildest finish, but not the best game, period.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on September 21, 2020, 11:03:40 PM

What game was better in your opinion? Patriots/Seahawks is the only one that really compares.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on September 22, 2020, 09:02:15 AM

What game was better in your opinion? Patriots/Seahawks is the only one that really compares.

Chiefs/Chargers and Bengals/Browns were both a lot of fun.

Falcons/Cowboys looked like a blowout early and there was not a lot of suspense/excitement until the very end, which makes it harder to see it as a great game.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on September 22, 2020, 09:46:24 AM
Quote from: thspfc on September 22, 2020, 09:02:15 AM

Chiefs/Chargers and Bengals/Browns were both a lot of fun.

Falcons/Cowboys looked like a blowout early and there was not a lot of suspense/excitement until the very end, which makes it harder to see it as a great game.
Chiefs/Chargers was good if you like a lot of field goals. Otherwise, not so much. Bengals/Browns was two bad teams.

SEWIGuy

I don't think increased scoring makes a game more exciting. The Falcons built a lead on Cowboy turnovers, then lost it due to general incompetence.  That's not all that interesting to me.

The Chiefs / Chargers was a close game throughout, with a rookie quarterback looking good in his first start.  Much more interesting IMO.

webny99

Here's an interesting thought to ponder: With an extra wild-card team this season, could the entire NFC West make the playoffs?
That's the only division I could see potentially pulling it off: they've got the reigning NFC champ and the other three teams are all 2-0, plus two of the usual runners up, Vikings and Eagles, haven't looked good. Even so, Bucs, Bears, or someone else will probably play spoiler, but it's certainly still a possibility.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on September 22, 2020, 07:51:51 PM
Here's an interesting thought to ponder: With an extra wild-card team this season, could the entire NFC West make the playoffs?
That's the only division I could see potentially pulling it off: they've got the reigning NFC champ and the other three teams are all 2-0, plus two of the usual runners up, Vikings and Eagles, haven't looked good. Even so, Bucs, Bears, or someone else will probably play spoiler, but it's certainly still a possibility.
Not really a possibility. Do they have four of the seven best teams in the NFC? You could argue they do. But each team in that division has to play each other twice. Not everyone can do well within the division - there will be at least one team that ends up with 4-6 divisional losses. At that point there's very little room for error on the rest of your schedule. At most I could see three teams from that division making it. Maybe Seahawks, Rams, Cardinals, in that order.

triplemultiplex

Raiders new stadium looks like a giant plug-in air freshener.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

1995hoo

Quote from: cabiness42 on September 20, 2020, 07:26:59 PM

Philadelphia didn't lose today, but they didn't win either–they tied Cincinnati 23—23 and thus continue to be "Football Team."

webny99

In Bills news:

My goodness. My blood pressure is never going to be the same after that Bills-Rams game. The Bills blew a 28-3 lead - yes, exactly like the Falcons did in the infamous Super Bowl - went down 32-28 after giving up four straight TD's, marched down the field and squeaked in a touchdown on 4th down - after a controversial PI call - to finish 35-32 with 15 seconds remaining.

Happy to be 3-0, but I have serious, serious questions about this defense. The Bills went the entire 2019 season without allowing 32 points, and now they allow 28 to the Dolphins and 32 to the Rams in back-to-back weeks.

thspfc

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 27, 2020, 04:53:11 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on September 20, 2020, 07:26:59 PM

Philadelphia didn't lose today, but they didn't win either–they tied Cincinnati 23—23 and thus continue to be "Football Team."
In light of the bizarre event, I say the Bengals also absorb the Football Team nickname. So there will now be two Football Teams. What does everyone else think?

thspfc

The Falcons simply cannot play with a lead. They just can't. I feel bad for all their fans.
Cowboys/Seahawks is about halfway through the second quarter and looks to be a good game. I get the feeling that the Cowboys this year are one of those teams that can beat anybody, and can also lose to anybody.

1995hoo

Alps

Quote from: thspfc on September 27, 2020, 05:35:17 PM
The Falcons simply cannot play with a lead. They just can't. I feel bad for all their fans.
Cowboys/Seahawks is about halfway through the second quarter and looks to be a good game. I get the feeling that the Cowboys this year are one of those teams that can beat anybody, and can also lose to anybody.
They need to get the Jets on their schedule.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.