News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Dak Prescott over his last three games . . .
112 completions on 162 attempts
1,424 yards
8 passing touchdowns, 3 rushing touchdowns

If he kept up those stats for the entire season, he would break just about every single season passing record ever set, other than touchdowns, which he would lose out on to a handful of other quarterbacks.

tchafe1978

Quote from: thspfc on October 04, 2020, 04:35:48 PM
1,424 yards

If he kept up those stats for the entire season, he would break just about every single season passing record ever set, other than touchdowns, which he would lose out on to a handful of other quarterbacks.

Impressive, but his team is 1-3. His team has gotten behind by large margins early in games, forcing them to throw every down. The Cowboys should try playing better earlier in games, or find a defense.

SEWIGuy

And they got their only win due the other team imploding.

thspfc

Quote from: tchafe1978 on October 04, 2020, 05:44:39 PM
Quote from: thspfc on October 04, 2020, 04:35:48 PM
1,424 yards

Impressive, but his team is 1-3. His team has gotten behind by large margins early in games, forcing them to throw every down. The Cowboys should try playing better earlier in games, or find a defense.
Did I say anything about the Cowboys? I'm talking about Dak Prescott. The Cowboys are mediocre, but Dak is really good. Why is the concept of a really good QB playing for a not-so-good team so hard to grasp?

thspfc

Quote from: SEWIGuy on October 04, 2020, 06:10:03 PM
If we're going to play that game, one of their losses featured a crucial and very controversial call. In another one of their losses they were one play away from overtime.

Buck87

Today was the first time Cleveland has beaten Dallas since 1994

SEWIGuy

Quote from: thspfc on October 04, 2020, 07:37:41 PM
If we're going to play that game, one of their losses featured a crucial and very controversial call. In another one of their losses they were one play away from overtime.

Cool.

They still lost.

thspfc

Quote from: SEWIGuy on October 04, 2020, 08:42:55 PM
Quote from: thspfc on October 04, 2020, 07:37:41 PM

Cool.

They still lost.
They still beat the Falcons. All I'm asking for is consistency. If you're allowing some what-ifs, then you need to allow all the what-ifs. It's much easier to just look at the result and see it for what it is. The Cowboys are 1-3. They are not lucky to not be 0-4, they are not unlucky to not be 3-1. They are 1-3.

TheHighwayMan3561

Things aren't great for football in Texas these days. Houston is 0-4 after the Vikings beat them today. Texans had a chance to tie but Fuller couldn't complete a late TD catch.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 04, 2020, 10:06:00 PM
Things aren't great for football in Texas these days. Houston is 0-4 after the Vikings beat them today. Texans had a chance to tie but Fuller couldn't complete a late TD catch.

I had a very clear rooting interest in that one. Still bitter about that playoff game the Bills lost to the Texans this (yes, THIS!) January, and wanted to see the Vikings get their first win after the Diggs trade, which has been great for Buffalo so far.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on October 04, 2020, 07:34:08 PM
The Cowboys are mediocre, but Dak is really good.

I agree. The offense is good, the defense is terrible. Average those together and you get mediocre.
They've been competitive all four weeks, but opposing offenses have gone wild against that defense.

And... with a 25-20 win over the 49ers, their first win of the season (!), the Eagles are now in first place in the NFC East at 1-2-1.

kurumi

Philly won in SF, so here's the latest:
* Washington Eagles
* Philadelphia 49ers
* San Francisco Football Team
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

jeffandnicole

This has got to be a record...the Eagles in Week 4 finally get their first win, and immediately take sole possession of first place!

webny99

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 04, 2020, 11:50:18 PM
This has got to be a record...the Eagles in Week 4 finally get their first win, and immediately take sole possession of first place!

Everyone laughed at them for playing to tie against the Bengals... but the NFC East is so terrible that the non-loss actually paid off!  :-D

1995hoo

A tie can make the difference come playoff-clinching time. I recall a year in which some team won its division because of a tie, going 9—6—1 and thus finishing half a game ahead of a 9—7—0 team.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jemacedo9

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 05, 2020, 07:32:35 AM
A tie can make the difference come playoff-clinching time. I recall a year in which some team won its division because of a tie, going 9–6–1 and thus finishing half a game ahead of a 9–7–0 team.

That 9-6-1 team was the Eagles.
That tie was with the Bengals.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on October 04, 2020, 11:52:09 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 04, 2020, 11:50:18 PM

Everyone laughed at them for playing to tie against the Bengals... but the NFC East is so terrible that the non-loss actually paid off!  :-D
Exactly. Anyone who thinks that ties aren't much better than losses is out of their mind. In 2018 the Colts chose to lose instead of tying against the Texans, and that costed them a division title. Now the Eagles are on top of the NFC East after choosing to tie instead of throwing the game away. There's no telling how important that tie might be, especially in a division where the odds are that only one team is making the playoffs.

oscar

Quote from: jemacedo9 on October 05, 2020, 08:46:28 AM
A tie can make the difference come playoff-clinching time. I recall a year in which some team won its division because of a tie, going 9—6—1 and thus finishing half a game ahead of a 9—7—0 team.

For another example, the 2014 Carolina Panthers made the postseason as NFC South champions with a 7-8-1 record. That tie let them edge out the Saints' 7-9 record.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

1995hoo

A tie can make the difference come playoff-clinching time. I recall a year in which some team won its division because of a tie, going 9–6–1 and thus finishing half a game ahead of a 9–7–0 team.

I just looked up the standings. It was 2008 and the tie got them in as a wild-card, rather than winning the division, but the principle is the same, and certainly Oscar noted another example.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

triplemultiplex

The first pandemic disruptions to the schedule were this week.
Still trying to understand why the normal Monday night game was bumped back half an hour.  The games are going to overlap anyway and they're on different networks, so what is the point of a half hour delay?
It also doesn't matter to me, but it just seems like one of those stupid things that comes up because some bean counter thinks it'll mean more eyeballs for light beer, boner pill, and pickup truck commercials.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

ilpt4u

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 05, 2020, 01:36:12 PM
The first pandemic disruptions to the schedule were this week.
Still trying to understand why the normal Monday night game was bumped back half an hour.  The games are going to overlap anyway and they're on different networks, so what is the point of a half hour delay?
It also doesn't matter to me, but it just seems like one of those stupid things that comes up because some bean counter thinks it'll mean more eyeballs for light beer, boner pill, and pickup truck commercials.
The NFL and ESPN have pushed the scheduled MNF game of Falcons/Packers another 10 minutes, to Kickoff at 9 PM EDT/8 PM CDT. Why another 10 minutes, or better yet, why the NFL didn't announce that as the start time yesterday, who knows. I thought 8:50/7:50 was goofy anyway

oscar

Quote from: oscar on October 05, 2020, 09:04:58 AM
For another example, the 2014 Carolina Panthers made the postseason as NFC South champions with a 7-8-1 record. That tie let them edge out the Saints' 7-9 record.

Quite by coincidence, the Panthers' tie that year also was with the Bengals, who seem to be a magnet for ties.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

thspfc

Quote from: oscar on October 05, 2020, 07:23:56 PM
Quote from: oscar on October 05, 2020, 09:04:58 AM

Quite by coincidence, the Panthers' tie that year also was with the Bengals, who seem to be a magnet for ties.
Careful, someone at ESPN is going to link the Bengals' tendency to tie often with the fact that they haven't won any Super Bowls.
Seriously though, ties are so rare yet they happen in the same matchups a disporportionate amount of times. The Packers and Vikings have tied twice at Lambeau in the last eight years, in 2013 and 2018.

hotdogPi

Has there ever been an "if we tie we both advance to playoffs" situation in American football or hockey? (Baseball and basketball can't end in ties except for unusual circumstances, and I know the answer is yes for association football.)
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Alps

Quote from: 1 on October 05, 2020, 08:26:08 PM
Has there ever been an "if we tie we both advance to playoffs" situation in American football or hockey? (Baseball and basketball can't end in ties except for unusual circumstances, and I know the answer is yes for association football.)
No, there cannot be. There are tiebreakers down to "coin flip."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.