News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Quote from: ilpt4u on October 16, 2020, 10:35:33 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 16, 2020, 10:28:33 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 14, 2020, 11:23:16 AM

I don't know whether it's mathematically possible for Christmas Day to fall on a Monday of Week 17, in which case there would be no Monday night game. I suspect not, seeing as how the regular season invariably seems to end the first weekend of January since the league moved the first week of the season to the weekend after Labor Day.

It's irrelevant, because the NFL doesn't play a Monday night game the final week of the season. Even a Sunday night game isn't guaranteed, and they decide after Week 16 whether there will be one. Otherwise for Week 17, there's 1 game on Thursday night, with the remainder played Sunday at 1 & 4:25pm (ET).
There is no TNF Week 17.

All Week 17 games are played on Sunday, and every team plays a Divisional Opponent

If Divisional Title game and/or Playoff games depend on other games results, those games are all placed in the same timeslot/either 1 ET or 4:25 ET. Also both FOX and CBS have Doubleheaders Week 17. SNF on NBC takes a "Win and you're in"  game that does not depend on the other game results, whenever possible. Even better if it is a "Win and In"  game for both teams, typically a Division Title game scenario

All of this is within the 16 game schedule. When it goes to 17 games, that remains to be seen. Also this schedule formula came about with the realignment to 8 Divisions and with Flex Scheduling for SNF on NBC
Generally the games between two already eliminated teams or one eliminated team and team that has clinched a playoff berth are in the early slate. The games with playoff berth implications are all in the afternoon slate, as well as the meaningless west coast games that they can't put anywhere else.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: thspfc on October 16, 2020, 10:37:01 PM

I don't know whether it's mathematically possible for Christmas Day to fall on a Monday of Week 17, in which case there would be no Monday night game. I suspect not, seeing as how the regular season invariably seems to end the first weekend of January since the league moved the first week of the season to the weekend after Labor Day.

The NFL doesn't play a Monday night game the final week of the season. Even a Sunday night game isn't guaranteed, and they decide after Week 16 whether there will be one. Otherwise for Week 17, there's 1 game on Thursday night, with the remainder played Sunday at 1 & 4:25pm (ET).
Y'all can't get your facts straight. There is no Thursday or Monday night game in week 17. If you're going to make a fact-checking post, at least make sure you know what you're talking about.

Yeah, I realized that after i posted it.

Anyway, the purpose is to make it as even as possible going into the Wildcard playoff weekend, where no team would have had significantly more or less rest time prior to those games.

Alps

Quote from: thspfc on October 16, 2020, 10:40:21 PM

It's irrelevant, because the NFL doesn't play a Monday night game the final week of the season. Even a Sunday night game isn't guaranteed, and they decide after Week 16 whether there will be one. Otherwise for Week 17, there's 1 game on Thursday night, with the remainder played Sunday at 1 & 4:25pm (ET).
There is no TNF Week 17.

All Week 17 games are played on Sunday, and every team plays a Divisional Opponent

If Divisional Title game and/or Playoff games depend on other games results, those games are all placed in the same timeslot/either 1 ET or 4:25 ET. Also both FOX and CBS have Doubleheaders Week 17. SNF on NBC takes a "Win and you're in"  game that does not depend on the other game results, whenever possible. Even better if it is a "Win and In"  game for both teams, typically a Division Title game scenario

All of this is within the 16 game schedule. When it goes to 17 games, that remains to be seen. Also this schedule formula came about with the realignment to 8 Divisions and with Flex Scheduling for SNF on NBC
Generally the games between two already eliminated teams or one eliminated team and team that has clinched a playoff berth are in the early slate. The games with playoff berth implications are all in the afternoon slate, as well as the meaningless west coast games that they can't put anywhere else.
Y'all get your facts straight before you post. The earlier games are one group of teams whose fates are tied (e.g. AFC playoff contenders) and the later games are the other (e.g. NFC playoff contenders).

ilpt4u

I remember a Bears-Packers game a few years ago in the Early window of Week 17 for an NFC North Title game - but that result did not depend on the Lions-Vikings result at all, because the Bears and Packers were already 1-2 in the Division. But since it did not depend on any other games, it was not included in the "Late Game"  collection that year, where more of the games were dependent on each other

Of course, any WC scenarios that involve MT/PT teams, then all those WC contention games must be played in the 4:25 Late Window. NFC/AFC West Title Scenarios (unless it is a Chiefs vs other AFC West team for the AFC West Title, Head-to-head, played in KC) also are played at 4:25

And then usually the NFC East Title game gets flexed to SNF on NBC, but not always. They do occasionally take a game from another division for Game 256.

thspfc

Quote from: Alps on October 16, 2020, 10:54:19 PM

There is no TNF Week 17.

Y'all get your facts straight before you post. The earlier games are one group of teams whose fates are tied (e.g. AFC playoff contenders) and the later games are the other (e.g. NFC playoff contenders).
Are you trolling me now? Because that's wrong also.

thspfc

Quote from: ilpt4u on October 17, 2020, 12:01:34 AM
I remember a Bears-Packers game a few years ago in the Early window of Week 17 for an NFC North Title game - but that result did not depend on the Lions-Vikings result at all, because the Bears and Packers were already 1-2 in the Division. But since it did not depend on any other games, it was not included in the "Late Game"  collection that year, where more of the games were dependent on each other

Of course, any WC scenarios that involve MT/PT teams, then all those WC contention games must be played in the 4:25 Late Window. NFC/AFC West Title Scenarios (unless it is a Chiefs vs other AFC West team for the AFC West Title, Head-to-head, played in KC) also are played at 4:25

And then usually the NFC East Title game gets flexed to SNF on NBC, but not always. They do occasionally take a game from another division for Game 256.
When was this Bears/Packers game that you speak of? It wasn't in 2013, which was the last time they played for the division in week 17. And the NFC East hasn't been on week 17 SNF since 2013.

NWI_Irish96

In 2013, the Packers beat the Bears in Week 17 to win the division with a 8-7-1 record, with the Bears missing the playoffs at 8-8.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ilpt4u

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 17, 2020, 08:32:08 AM

In 2013, the Packers beat the Bears in Week 17 to win the division with a 8-7-1 record, with the Bears missing the playoffs at 8-8.
And looking it up, that game was a 4:25 game. Huh. I mis-remembered. I thought that was a "high noon"  kickoff

Regarding the NFC East bit, yes 2013 was the last time. And that was the end of a 3-year stretch, from 2011-2013 of All NFC East. No other Division has been shown more than twice since the Divisional Game Final schedule format was introduced in 2010.

The AFC East and NFC South have yet to be featured on Game 256 - AFC East because it hasn't been competitive with the Pats during the Brady-Belichick Era, and NFC South because (I assume) Ratings, and the two South Divisions are the 2 newest Divisions. AFC South was first featured in 2018 for Game 256

Of course, one could argue that the current NFC West is the newest NFC Division, and the NFC South is the more legitimate child of the old NFC West, since 3 former NFC West teams make up the current NFC South, and only 2 former NFC West teams are in the current NFC West, but I digress

1995hoo

The NFL doesn't play a Monday night game the final week of the season. ...

See boldface.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on October 17, 2020, 07:59:51 AM

As currently scheduled:
All Week 17 games played in EST and CST (13 games) are scheduled for 1PM EST.
All Week 17 games played in MST and PST (3 games) are scheduled for 4:25 PM EST.

I believe some of these, likely the ones with the biggest playoff implications, will be flexed.
Last year, for example, 49ers-Seahawks was flexed to SNF because the division was on the line.

mgk920

Quote from: ilpt4u on October 17, 2020, 11:41:46 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on October 17, 2020, 08:32:08 AM

And looking it up, that game was a 4:25 game. Huh. I mis-remembered. I thought that was a "high noon"  kickoff

Regarding the NFC East bit, yes 2013 was the last time. And that was the end of a 3-year stretch, from 2011-2013 of All NFC East. No other Division has been shown more than twice since the Divisional Game Final schedule format was introduced in 2010.

The AFC East and NFC South have yet to be featured on Game 256 - AFC East because it hasn't been competitive with the Pats during the Brady-Belichick Era, and NFC South because (I assume) Ratings, and the two South Divisions are the 2 newest Divisions. AFC South was first featured in 2018 for Game 256

Of course, one could argue that the current NFC West is the newest NFC Division, and the NFC South is the more legitimate child of the old NFC West, since 3 former NFC West teams make up the current NFC South, and only 2 former NFC West teams are in the current NFC West, but I digress

I was at a night game in Green Bay in week 17 of the 2010 season where the Packers backed into the playoffs as the second wild card by beating the Bears.  They went on to storm through the playoffs entirely on the road, beating the Bears again in Chicago to go to and then win the Super Bowl.

An aside, is there any other instance of one NFL team defeating another NFL team four times in one calendar year (Packers over the Bears four times in calendar year 2011)?

Mike

1995hoo

Quote from: kurumi on October 04, 2020, 11:40:03 PM
Philly won in SF, so here's the latest:
* Washington Eagles
* Philadelphia 49ers
* San Francisco Football Team

San Francisco are now the Rams. In the interest of clarity, I guess we now have the Los Angeles NFC Football Team ("NFC" being necessary because of their other team).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 19, 2020, 07:32:40 AM
Quote from: kurumi on October 04, 2020, 11:40:03 PM
Philly won in SF, so here's the latest:
* Washington Eagles
* Philadelphia 49ers
* San Francisco Football Team

San Francisco are now the Rams. In the interest of clarity, I guess we now have the Los Angeles NFC Football Team ("NFC" being necessary because of their other team).

And the Bears are now at risk of becoming Football Team next Monday.

webny99

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 19, 2020, 08:03:01 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 19, 2020, 07:32:40 AM
And the Bears are now at risk of becoming Football Team next Monday.

High risk, you could say.  :paranoid:

Henry

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 16, 2020, 10:06:04 PM
Quote from: thspfc on October 14, 2020, 04:41:50 PM
Can't help but wonder if this is the end of the Pro Bowl.

I won't shed a tear.
Now you don't even get a trip to Hawaii, so what's the point?  Any degen with a SouthWest ticket can go to Vegas for 89 bucks.  It's a shit city unworthy of pro sports.
The Orlando of the West.
Try telling that to Mark Davis (the Raiders' owner) and the Golden Knights! The Magic would also be offended by your description of their own city too.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Henry on October 19, 2020, 10:26:17 AM

I won't shed a tear.
Now you don't even get a trip to Hawaii, so what's the point?  Any degen with a SouthWest ticket can go to Vegas for 89 bucks.  It's a shit city unworthy of pro sports.
The Orlando of the West.
Try telling that to Mark Davis (the Raiders' owner) and the Golden Knights! The Magic would also be offended by your description of their own city too.

Football, with only 8 home games per year, can easily be supported by Vegas. Realistically there's enough support for 40+ NFL teams, but not the talent to have a competitive league bigger than the current 32.

I worry that hockey and its 41 home dates will hit on hard times in Vegas once the novelty wears off.

thspfc

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 19, 2020, 11:02:43 AM
Quote from: Henry on October 19, 2020, 10:26:17 AM

I won't shed a tear.
The Orlando of the West.

Football, with only 8 home games per year, can easily be supported by Vegas. Realistically there's enough support for 40+ NFL teams, but not the talent to have a competitive league bigger than the current 32.

I worry that hockey and its 41 home dates will hit on hard times in Vegas once the novelty wears off.
Vegas has a bigger and better team now in a sport that most would consider more exciting. I think the Golden Knights will be fine because the sports market there is still relatively uncompetitive compared to other hockey markets like Dallas, LA, Miami, and DC.

thspfc

The Cowboys looked straight awful last night. I can't remember the last time I saw a team so uninspired. Punts, turnovers, more turnovers, a porous defense, once again doing nothing on offense until they were down by a million. Even then it wasn't much. Andy Dalton was less than impressive, but I expect that he will improve once he plays more with the Cowboys. As for the defense, there's no sign of improvement in sight.

webny99

The Cowboys 218 points allowed (average 36.3 per game) is by far the highest in the league, and it's not even close. Vikings are next at 192, followed by Jets at 185 and Falcons at 184. But it just goes to show how uninspired defenses as a whole have been this year when six teams have allowed 180+, but no teams have even scored 180: Ravens are first in points scored at 179, Bucs second at 177.

... and yet, there the Cowboys sit atop the NFC East, which is a jarring 5-18-1 through six weeks, with only two wins outside the division (Eagles over 49ers and Cowboys over Falcons)

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on October 20, 2020, 09:20:53 AM
The Cowboys 218 points allowed (average 36.3 per game) is by far the highest in the league, and it's not even close. Vikings are next at 192, followed by Jets at 185 and Falcons at 184. But it just goes to show how uninspired defenses as a whole have been this year when six teams have allowed 180+, but no teams have even scored 180: Ravens are first in points scored at 179, Bucs second at 177.

... and yet, there the Cowboys sit atop the NFC East, which is a jarring 5-18-1 through six weeks, with only two wins outside the division (Eagles over 49ers and Cowboys over Falcons)
I predict the Cowboys will win that division at 7-9, with five wins coming inside the division and the other two being the Bengals and Niners/Vikings.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on October 20, 2020, 10:24:10 AM
I predict the Cowboys will win that division at 7-9, with five wins coming inside the division and the other two being the Bengals and Niners/Vikings.

I dunno, I think I would take the Eagles to win the division if I had to pick. Both teams *should* win this week, in which case the winner of the week 8 game would take the lead.

US 89

Quote from: webny99 on October 20, 2020, 10:44:28 AM
Both teams *should* win this week

After watching the Cowboys' abysmal play last night, I don't think I would be comfortable making a statement like that even if it is against Washington. Their defense sucks - we knew that already. But the offense certainly didn't do them any favors last night either. NFL teams should not be having five turnovers in one game - especially when two of them are coming from your three-time Pro Bowl running back. Andy Dalton's play should improve once he finds a rhythm, but if the running backs can't hold onto the ball until he does that...it's going to be a looooong season.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: webny99 on October 17, 2020, 01:28:04 PM
Quote from: thspfc on October 17, 2020, 07:59:51 AM

As currently scheduled:
All Week 17 games played in EST and CST (13 games) are scheduled for 1PM EST.
All Week 17 games played in MST and PST (3 games) are scheduled for 4:25 PM EST.

I believe some of these, likely the ones with the biggest playoff implications, will be flexed.
Last year, for example, 49ers-Seahawks was flexed to SNF because the division was on the line.

It will all depend on ratings, how many games matter, and who they matter to. Ideally there are meaningful games in all five slots. Late afternoon is the preferred slot for teams whose fates are tied together and are do-or-die where the winners make the playoffs and the losers go home. Early meaningful games are generally for teams in the playoffs but can move up or down in seeding. Sunday night is for a game independent of all others, but a couple years ago it happened where no such game existed and the NFL elected not to play a Sunday night game.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

Quote from: US 89 on October 20, 2020, 11:32:03 AM
Both teams *should* win this week

After watching the Cowboys' abysmal play last night, I don't think I would be comfortable making a statement like that even if it is against Washington. ...

We'll see what happens, but since Week 1, Washington hasn't done anything to convince me they're actually trying to win games (last week's failed 2 point conversion to win notwithstanding). My thought process about the upcoming game is basically the same as it was about the Giants game: Sure, they're bad, maybe even verging on terrible, but not bad enough to lose a division game to The Football Team, especially one like this that would let them back in to the thick of the race for the division title.

I-55

Quote from: thspfc on October 20, 2020, 10:24:10 AM

I dunno, I think I would take the Eagles to win the division if I had to pick. Both teams *should* win this week, in which case the winner of the week 8 game would take the lead.

Considering that the Bengals have had 5 games decided by 1 possession, I think they could beat Dallas. They've demonstrated that they can play they just haven't finished games well.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.