News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck87

For the first time since 2007, the Cleveland Browns will not have a losing record.

US 89

Due to QB Jeff Driskel's recent COVID diagnosis, all three other Broncos quarterbacks - Drew Lock, Brett Rypien, and Blake Bortles - have been contact-traced and are required to quarantine. As a result, the Broncos have zero available QBs for their game against the Saints today.

But they're still playing. Kendall Hinton, a wide receiver on the practice squad, apparently played QB for a few years at Wake Forest, and he will start at that position today for the Broncos. RB Royce Freeman will serve as the emergency backup.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: US 89 on November 29, 2020, 05:13:34 PM
Due to QB Jeff Driskel's recent COVID diagnosis, all three other Broncos quarterbacks - Drew Lock, Brett Rypien, and Blake Bortles - have been contact-traced and are required to quarantine. As a result, the Broncos have zero available QBs for their game against the Saints today.

But they're still playing. Kendall Hinton, a wide receiver on the practice squad, apparently played QB for a few years at Wake Forest, and he will start at that position today for the Broncos. RB Royce Freeman will serve as the emergency backup.

No big deal. The Bears have been playing with zero available QBs all season.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

thspfc

With Patrick Mahomes' 462 yard performance against Tampa, Dak Prescott no longer holds the top three games in terms of passing yards this season (502, 472, 450). If that isn't impressive enough, Dak has played less than half as many games as most of the other starting QBs. I know people will say "garbage time" or "they were behind", but Dallas is far from the only team who gets behind, yet Dak is the only QB to put up those kinds of numbers. He's a top 5-7 QB. Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson, Watson, possibly Allen, and possibly Brady are the only guys I would put ahead of him.

TheHighwayMan3561

Vikings stole a game against Carolina where they did all kinds of Vikings shit like allow two consecutive fumble return scores by the same guy, muffing a punt in a critical moment, and giving up a huge completion to give the Panthers a field goal try to win. He missed it badly which is also very un-Vikings.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on November 29, 2020, 08:31:55 PM
He missed it badly which is also very un-Vikings.

Very on-brand for the Panthers, though. That's the third time they've lost on a long field goal miss this season.
That fourth quarter was wild, definitely among the best so far this season.

cwf1701

Quote from: Big John on November 28, 2020, 03:22:14 PM
Lions fire Head Coach Patrica(sp?) and GM Quinn today.
Like with Wayne Fontes and Matt Millen, one year too late for the Lions.

webny99

I'm just happy to see the Vikings on the right side of a one-point loss, because I honestly think that loss to the Seahawks was the most excruciating loss of the season... yes, even worse than the "Hail Murray" Bills-Cardinals game, because the Vikings thoroughly outplayed the Seahawks for nearly the entire game. It's tough to pick the top 5 worst losses so far because the Falcons and Chargers have so many to choose from... but here's what I'd go with:

1. Vikings 26, Seahawks 27
2. Falcons 39, Cowboys 40
3. Bills 30, Cardinals 32
4. Chargers 30, Broncos 31
5. Falcons 22, Lions 23

Chargers-Raiders and Bears-Falcons are up there too.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

Nick Folk! Pats need to win out to maintain their 10 win streak that started literally when I was born.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Alps

Quote from: webny99 on November 29, 2020, 11:32:22 PM
I'm just happy to see the Vikings on the right side of a one-point loss, because I honestly think that loss to the Seahawks was the most excruciating loss of the season... yes, even worse than the "Hail Murray" Bills-Cardinals game, because the Vikings thoroughly outplayed the Seahawks for nearly the entire game. It's tough to pick the top 5 worst losses so far because the Falcons and Chargers have so many to choose from... but here's what I'd go with:

5. Falcons 22, Lions 23

Next game the Jets win is on this list by default.

webny99

Quote from: Alps on November 30, 2020, 07:05:43 PM
... It's tough to pick the top 5 worst losses so far because the Falcons and Chargers have so many to choose from... but here's what I'd go with:

5. Falcons 22, Lions 23

Next game the Jets win is on this list by default.

If it's this season, then yes.  :)

thspfc

5. Falcons 22, Lions 23

I disagree with putting Bills-Cardinals on the list, unless you're ranking by most emotional. Choking away a double digit second half lead, like the Chargers do every week, is much worse than giving up one fluke play at the very end.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on December 01, 2020, 12:42:22 PM
I disagree with putting Bills-Cardinals on the list, unless you're ranking by most emotional. Choking away a double digit second half lead, like the Chargers do every week, is much worse than giving up one fluke play at the very end.

I don't know. The Bills blew a double-digit second-half lead too; they were up 23-9 in the third quarter before completely unraveling and allowing three straight Cardinals scores. It looked like they were headed for a 26-23 loss, which would have been bad enough on it's own; but then to regain composure and march down the field for an impressive go ahead touchdown with 30 seconds left and still lose is about as excruciating as you can get.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on December 01, 2020, 02:37:05 PM
Quote from: thspfc on December 01, 2020, 12:42:22 PM

I don't know. The Bills blew a double-digit second-half lead too; they were up 23-9 in the third quarter before completely unraveling and allowing three straight Cardinals scores. It looked like they were headed for a 26-23 loss, which would have been bad enough on it's own; but then to regain composure and march down the field for an impressive go ahead touchdown with 30 seconds left and still lose is about as excruciating as you can get.
Hmm, I didn't realize that.

1995hoo

I was just looking ahead at the remainder of this season's schedule and I note there are Saturday games later this month and a Friday game on Christmas. That means, assuming today's game goes off as currently scheduled and that those other games happen as scheduled, that the NFL will have played regular-season games on every day of the week this season (so far, we have Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday; today would add Wednesday, and then Friday and Saturday are noted above). I wonder whether that's ever happened before.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 02, 2020, 08:00:49 AM
I was just looking ahead at the remainder of this season's schedule and I note there are Saturday games later this month and a Friday game on Christmas. That means, assuming today's game goes off as currently scheduled and that those other games happen as scheduled, that the NFL will have played regular-season games on every day of the week this season (so far, we have Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday; today would add Wednesday, and then Friday and Saturday are noted above). I wonder whether that's ever happened before.

If it ever happened, it would have been during the league's first decade, before scheduling became more centralized. Even then, I highly doubt it happened.

1995hoo

Quote from: cabiness42 on December 02, 2020, 08:24:42 AM

If it ever happened, it would have been during the league's first decade, before scheduling became more centralized. Even then, I highly doubt it happened.

I saw something about the Tuesday game earlier this season having been the first Tuesday game in 70-something years, so that tells us how long ago it would have to have been. I know there was a Wednesday night game not too many years ago–the season-opening game was played on Wednesday instead of Thursday to avoid conflicting with the final night of one of the political parties' presidential nominating conventions when the candidate would be giving his keynote speech– and Saturday games are routine after the college football regular season is over. I'm not sure how routine Friday games are, but they're also not super-rare, as I believe the league has scheduled one game on Friday when Christmas falls on that day of the week (like this year) since they resumed playing Christmas games some time ago (recall for many years they went to great pains to avoid playing on Christmas if possible).

Edited to add: The Wednesday season opener was in 2012 to avoid conflicting with Obama's speech that Thursday.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 02, 2020, 08:48:32 AM

I saw something about the Tuesday game earlier this season having been the first Tuesday game in 70-something years, so that tells us how long ago it would have to have been. I know there was a Wednesday night game not too many years ago–the season-opening game was played on Wednesday instead of Thursday to avoid conflicting with the final night of one of the political parties' presidential nominating conventions when the candidate would be giving his keynote speech– and Saturday games are routine after the college football regular season is over. I'm not sure how routine Friday games are, but they're also not super-rare, as I believe the league has scheduled one game on Friday when Christmas falls on that day of the week (like this year) since they resumed playing Christmas games some time ago (recall for many years they went to great pains to avoid playing on Christmas if possible).

Edited to add: The Wednesday season opener was in 2012 to avoid conflicting with Obama's speech that Thursday.

It was much more recent.  The Eagles played the Vikings on Tuesday, Dec 28, 2010.  The game was pushed back from Sunday due to a blizzard in Philly. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201012280phi.htm

The last Tuesday game before that was in 1946 though.

1995hoo

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 02, 2020, 09:12:07 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 02, 2020, 08:48:32 AM

It was much more recent.  The Eagles played the Vikings on Tuesday, Dec 28, 2010.  The game was pushed back from Sunday due to a blizzard in Philly. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201012280phi.htm

The last Tuesday game before that was in 1946 though.

Interesting, thanks. I saw various articles citing to an Elias Sports Bureau reference to it being the first Tuesday game in 70+ years. Interesting to see they overlooked that one. It seems the 1946 game was a weather-related postponement as well.

TheHighwayMan3561

Vikings again escape by the skin of their teeth against a Jags team who is 1-11 but have played a lot of teams tough. Vikings should have wrecked these guys but played sloppy and undisciplined. A win is a win.

Roadgeekteen

Patriots blowing out Chargers now, maybe playoffs are still a possibility?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 06, 2020, 06:16:49 PM

You will soon learn that barely making the playoffs and getting a shitty draft pick are the fast track to long-term mediocrity, even for a franchise that drafts as well as NE.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: cabiness42 on December 06, 2020, 06:27:48 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 06, 2020, 06:16:49 PM

You will soon learn that barely making the playoffs and getting a shitty draft pick are the fast track to long-term mediocrity, even for a franchise that drafts as well as NE.
Or you can be the 2011 Giants and barely make the playoffs and win the Superbowl.

TheHighwayMan3561

For the Vikings it's pretty remarkable how they've turned a 1-5 start into a playoff contender with a bunch of rookies and practice squad fill ins on defense. They're not going to shock the world but some of these guys will be part of the future and I would want them to grow into the job this way.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.