News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 06, 2020, 06:33:05 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on December 06, 2020, 06:27:48 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 06, 2020, 06:16:49 PM
Patriots blowing out Chargers now, maybe playoffs are still a possibility?

You will soon learn that barely making the playoffs and getting a shitty draft pick are the fast track to long-term mediocrity, even for a franchise that drafts as well as NE.
Or you can be the 2011 Giants and barely make the playoffs and win the Superbowl.

Speaking of the Giants: quite the signature victory today in Seattle.  Big chance to distance themselves from the pack in the NFC (l)East with the Nameless Team facing the Steelers and the non-East Coast team facing the Ravens.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

US 89

In what might be the first good thing the Jets have done this year, they manage to barely lose to the Raiders to preserve their draft pick.

thspfc

You will soon learn that barely making the playoffs and getting a shitty draft pick are the fast track to long-term mediocrity, even for a franchise that drafts as well as NE.
The only example of that I can think of is the Bengals during the Andy Dalton era. It seems like wild card teams either ascend to the next level and become Super Bowl contenders, or they flame out sooner rather than later and become really bad.

thspfc

Quote from: US 89 on December 06, 2020, 07:36:56 PM
In what might be the first good thing the Jets have done this year, they manage to barely lose to the Raiders to preserve their draft pick.
I read something interesting today. With the way that game ended, it might have seemed like the Jets intentionally lost so that they can get the top pick, but their coaching staff and a good portion of their roster knows that they aren't going to be on the team next year (the Jets have a ton of draft picks). So the Jets really are that bad. They're not faking it.

thspfc

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 06, 2020, 07:31:51 PM

Or you can be the 2011 Giants and barely make the playoffs and win the Superbowl.

Speaking of the Giants: quite the signature victory today in Seattle.  Big chance to distance themselves from the pack in the NFC (l)East with the Nameless Team facing the Steelers and the non-East Coast team facing the Ravens.
Eagles are an irrelevant mess, as they benched Carson Wentz in favor of Jalen Hurts today. It's been a really bad year for my Cowboys, but it's been equally bad for Philly, and they don't have quarterback injury problems (lots of them) to blame.

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 27, 2020, 07:51:08 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 19, 2020, 07:32:40 AM
Quote from: kurumi on October 04, 2020, 11:40:03 PM
Philly won in SF, so here's the latest:
* Washington Eagles
* Philadelphia 49ers
* San Francisco Football Team

San Francisco are now the Rams. In the interest of clarity, I guess we now have the Los Angeles NFC Football Team ("NFC" being necessary because of their other team).

Los Angeles Bears
Chicago Football Team (next Sunday: home against New Orleans)

Chicago really likes clinging to that "Football Team" thing!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

oscar

For a few minutes, it was looking like the Jags would beat the Vikings, to maintain or widen their "lead" over the Jets for the 2nd draft pick. But they too reverted to form.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

NWI_Irish96

Sure but you can't always count on your SB opponent to be overhyped and overrated.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

1995hoo

I saw that 5—0 score at halftime in Seattle. Too bad that wasn't the final score. I believe there have only been three games in NFL history that ended with 5—0 scores, the best-known one being a 1970 season playoff game in which Dallas beat Detroit.

Of course, after New York's first touchdown, they made a two-point conversion to make it 8—5, so that would have been even weirder had that been the final score.

(I still want to see a game end with a 6—1 score, but insofar as I'm aware, no NFL team has ever scored a one-point safety.)

oscar

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 06, 2020, 08:54:58 PM
(I still want to see a game end with a 6—1 score, but insofar as I'm aware, no NFL team has ever scored a one-point safety.)

Has any CFL team ended a game with only 1 point (a "rouge" point)?
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: oscar on December 06, 2020, 08:58:45 PM

Better yet, has any NFL team at any point in any game ever had a score of 4?
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

1995hoo

In 1966, the Alouettes beat the Ottawa Rough Riders 1—0! Lowest-scoring game in CFL history. I believe the most recent time a team scored only one point in a game was in July 2012 when the Saskatchewan Roughriders beat the Eskimos 17—1.

1995hoo

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 06, 2020, 09:10:04 PM

On November 25, 1923, the Racine Legion beat the Chicago Cardinals 10—4. Only time a team finished with four points. There have been two other times when a team had four points at some point during a game, most recently in 1950.

I seem to recall a college football game ending with a 6—4 score some years back. I'll have to look for that one. Edited to add: October 2004. Iowa beat Penn State 6—4.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: cabiness42 on December 06, 2020, 08:43:38 PM

Sure but you can't always count on your SB opponent to be overhyped and overrated.
They beat the 15-1 Packers and the 13-3 49ers on the way.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on December 06, 2020, 07:31:51 PM
Speaking of the Giants: quite the signature victory today in Seattle.

Colt McCoy coming through with the NFC East's FIRST win over a team with a winning record, in Week 13, to get the Giants to 5-7 and expand their division lead? Yup, exactly what what we expected in August...

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 06, 2020, 08:42:24 PM
Chicago really likes clinging to that "Football Team" thing!

Oof. Starting 5-1 and missing the playoffs is rare, starting 5-1 and sitting at 5-7 in early December has to be even rarer.

I saw that 5—0 score at halftime in Seattle. Too bad that wasn't the final score.

We did have a final score that included 5-0 today. Unfortunately for the hapless Chargers, it was 45-0...

webny99

If preserving the draft pick is the goal, then aren't all 12 losses a good thing?

They've actually been competitive in a number of their games, with one-score losses to the Pats, Chargers, and now Raiders, plus a late blown lead against the Broncos. They're so skilled at losing that I'd actually think less of them if they had won those four and were 4-8 right now.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on December 06, 2020, 10:13:43 PM

If preserving the draft pick is the goal, then aren't all 12 losses a good thing?

They've actually been competitive in a number of their games, with one-score losses to the Pats, Chargers, and now Raiders, plus a late blown lead against the Broncos. They're so skilled at losing that I'd actually think less of them if they had won those four and were 4-8 right now.
You literally think losing is better than winning.
Seriously. When the Bears were 4-1 you said that they should be 1-4. You also ripped on the Packers (who were 13-3 and in the NFC title game) for winning. Of course the Bears are now 5-7 and you don't hear a peep about how they should be 10-2 or something, despite, count it, five of their seven losses coming by one possession. On the other end of the spectrum, the Packers are 9-3, steamrolling most of the teams they play (all but two of their wins have been by multiple possessions, and all but one of their losses have been by one possession), and there's no talk about how they should be 11-1. Now the Jets are 0-12 and you think they would be WORSE if they were 4-8?
What is going on here? Can you explain this?

webny99

My goodness. You'd think it would be obvious why 0-12 is better than 4-8: because 0-12 sets you up for long term success.

I really don't think we need to hash over the Bears and Packers again. It's unnecessary and doesn't do anybody any good. Of course my position isn't that teams should be "ripped on" for winning, but sometimes a team's record reflects luck as much as it does skill/talent; that's just the nature of sports, and not an indictment of any particular team.

TheHighwayMan3561

Not to feel like I'm trying to pick on you, but it goes further than just lose today and win tomorrow. The Jets ownership and front office is one of the biggest jokes in pro sports. The team has nothing and drafting Lawrence means nothing if they can't hire a good staff and field a team around him. While Lawrence is the unquestioned #1 pick, I do wonder if NY is the right place for him to be successful. I'm not the biggest follower of college football but he doesn't seem like a guy to me who will adjust to handing the adversity of losing and publications like the NY Post won't hesitate to throw him on the front page with a mocking headline after his first poor start.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

ilpt4u

The 1-point Safety scored by the Offense/against the Defense (as when the Try begins) is much more likely than the 1-point Safety scored by the Defense/against the Offense (as when the Try begins). But when the Offense/"Trying"  team scores a 1-point Safety, it is functionally the same thing as successfully converting the PAT kick thru the uprights, awarding 1 point in addition to the 6 pt TD.

The Offensive 1-point Safety has happened in CFB a few times. The Defensive 1-point Safety, I'm not sure has happened at any level of football, because it takes a ridiculous set of circumstances to make it happen. It would almost *have* to be done intentionally

I expect we'll see an Offensive 1-point Safety in the NFL sometime. Next week or in the next decade, who knows, but I think it will happen. It is an odd play, but it at least has realistic circumstances where it could happen

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 07, 2020, 12:04:27 AM
Not to feel like I'm trying to pick on you, but it goes further than just lose today and win tomorrow. The Jets ownership and front office is one of the biggest jokes in pro sports. The team has nothing and drafting Lawrence means nothing if they can't hire a good staff and field a team around him. While Lawrence is the unquestioned #1 pick, I do wonder if NY is the right place for him to be successful. I'm not the biggest follower of college football but he doesn't seem like a guy to me who will adjust to handing the adversity of losing and publications like the NY Post won't hesitate to throw him on the front page with a mocking headline after his first poor start.

Understood: I'm not expecting the Jets to go 19-0 in 2021 even if they do get Lawrence. Presumably, they will be hiring a new coach and getting some other players with their draft picks, and from what I understand, ownership and the fans believe in the GM, so hopefully he's able to turn things around.

I guess my point about 4-8 is that if you're 4-8 with nothing, you might as well be 0-12 with nothing and at least have the pick. Otherwise you'll just keep being 4-12 or 6-10 every season for the duration, and that offers even less promise.

I'm not sure Lawrence is a good fit for New York either. "Tanking for Trevor" has been hyped up to such a degree that I'm worried expectations have gotten out of line. Being at the center of the NYC sports universe is a lot of pressure even for an established star, much less a 21-year old from the South. (He's younger than me, which is just crazy every time I think about it!)

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on December 07, 2020, 08:44:10 AM

I guess my point about 4-8 is that if you're 4-8 with nothing, you might as well be 0-12 with nothing and at least have the pick. Otherwise you'll just keep being 4-12 or 6-10 every season for the duration, and that offers even less promise.

The Washington Bullets teams in the 1980s were a perfect example of the phenomenon you describe. They were thoroughly mediocre. From 1982 to 1990, they finished right around .500 (a few games above or a few games below) every year; they missed the playoffs twice, but for five straight years they made the playoffs and lost in the first round every time. That was the perfect example of where you didn't want to be: Not good enough to make a run in the playoffs, but not bad enough to get a good draft pick that could change your franchise.

Even recognizing, of course, that basketball is unique in terms of being the one sport where a single player can sometimes fundamentally change a team's fortunes, the description you give reminds me of that. Football is arguably more susceptible than basketball to screwing up this sort of thing, of course, because even if you pick an outstanding quarterback, he may not be much help if, for example, you don't have a decent offensive line that can keep him on his feet long enough to throw the ball.

nexus73

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 06, 2020, 09:14:40 PM

On November 25, 1923, the Racine Legion beat the Chicago Cardinals 10—4. Only time a team finished with four points. There have been two other times when a team had four points at some point during a game, most recently in 1950.

I seem to recall a college football game ending with a 6—4 score some years back. I'll have to look for that one. Edited to add: October 2004. Iowa beat Penn State 6—4.

Back in 1974 in SoCal, there was a high school score of 7-4.  The NFL record for safeties in a game is 3.  I believe it was the Rams who set it against the Giants.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

1995hoo

Quote from: nexus73 on December 07, 2020, 02:45:49 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 06, 2020, 09:14:40 PM

Back in 1974 in SoCal, there was a high school score of 7-4.  The NFL record for safeties in a game is 3.  I believe it was the Rams who set it against the Giants.

Rick

You're correct, and apparently all three of them occurred in the same quarter, which is even weirder.

I attended a college football game (the 2008 Gator Bowl) in which UVA scored two safeties, both of which involved Texas Tech's quarterback being called for intentional grounding in the end zone. A more memorable safety for me was on the day after Thanksgiving in 1994 when one of our guys intercepted NC State's two-point conversion attempt and ran it back 100 yards (NC State still won the game 30—27). As my father said at the time, "That's a lot of work for just two points."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.