News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

Quote from: webny99 on December 08, 2020, 10:00:36 PM
With all the schedule shake-ups the NFL has had to date, it's worth pointing out that this is the first calendar week we've encountered with games on three weeknights: Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.

The first Tuesday game, Bills-Titans in Week 5, pushed the Bills TNF game to the following Monday, so we only had Mon/Tue that week.
Then last week, Ravens-Steelers on Wednesday pushed the Ravens TNF matchup back to today, so we only had Mon/Wed last week.
Along those lines, as long as the Christmas Day game goes forward as scheduled, this will be the first NFL season, maybe ever?, to have games contested on each of the 7 days of the week, across the course of a season

At this point, the only day of the week we are missing is Friday, and Dec 25th is a Friday

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

1995hoo

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 08, 2020, 10:40:31 PM
Quote from: webny99 on December 08, 2020, 10:00:36 PM
With all the schedule shake-ups the NFL has had to date, it's worth pointing out that this is the first calendar week we've encountered with games on three weeknights: Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday.

The first Tuesday game, Bills-Titans in Week 5, pushed the Bills TNF game to the following Monday, so we only had Mon/Tue that week.
Then last week, Ravens-Steelers on Wednesday pushed the Ravens TNF matchup back to today, so we only had Mon/Wed last week.
Along those lines, as long as the Christmas Day game goes forward as scheduled, this will be the first NFL season, maybe ever?, to have games contested on each of the 7 days of the week, across the course of a season

At this point, the only day of the week we are missing is Friday, and Dec 25th is a Friday

You don't say.

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 02, 2020, 08:00:49 AM
I was just looking ahead at the remainder of this season's schedule and I note there are Saturday games later this month and a Friday game on Christmas. That means, assuming today's game goes off as currently scheduled and that those other games happen as scheduled, that the NFL will have played regular-season games on every day of the week this season (so far, we have Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday; today would add Wednesday, and then Friday and Saturday are noted above). I wonder whether that's ever happened before.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ilpt4u

thspfc

Cowboys lose again, and in pretty much the same fashion that they've been losing all year. Got gashed in the run game for nearly 300 yards. The offense moved the ball (388 yards and 29 first downs), but missed field goals and a dropped touchdown negated some of it. CeeDee Lamb is a quality player but it's obvious that he wasn't the right pick for Dallas. They need a leader on defense, and they need a lot of help at defensive tackle and linebacker. IMO they should get rid of some of their expensive offensive linemen. Trade them away for draft picks. And Jerry Jones, being the stubborn guy that he is, would never do this, but Zeke needs to go. He ran wild behind the league's best o-line for a few years but now that the o-line has regressed, it's showing that he's not an elite running back. His fitness isn't up to par. A team would probably give up a second round pick for him, third round at worst. All of that frees up cap space and allows the Cowboys to sign Dak and do a mini-rebuild.

webny99

Another schedule-related oddity that just occurred to me is that the Bills never traveled to a Pacific Coast state this season despite playing the AFC West AND the NFC West. They hosted the Rams, Chargers, and Seahawks, so that left the 49ers game as the only opportunity, and that, of course, ended up being played in Arizona.

So across 8 games they got Arizona x2, Colorado (upcoming) and Nevada; no West Coast OR Kansas City!
You can be pretty confident that's never happened before, especially since it's rare for teams to get both those divisions in the same year to begin with, and this is the first year with an NFL team in Nevada.

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on December 08, 2020, 12:11:50 AM
My big takeaway from this week though, is that the AFC is proving to be the much stronger conference this year. The 6-6 Vikings are in the #7 spot; the 6-6 Pats, meanwhile, are all the way back in the #10 spot, hardly even in the mix with the Raiders, Browns, Ravens, Dolphins, and loser of Colts-Titans all ahead of them in the race for for the 3 wild card slots.

To add to this, I've been browsing around on FiveThirtyEight's NFL predictions and the AFC is really starting to stand out as hierarchical compared to the NFC.

You've got the best team in the league in the Chiefs, the second-best at least record-wise in the Steelers, a total of 9 teams with at least a 40% chance to make the playoffs, and then a group of 6 teams (Jets, Jaguars, Bengals, Chargers, Broncos, Texans) at the bottom of the barrel that are either eliminated or de-facto eliminated. That leaves the Patriots as the only AFC team with between a 1% and 40% chance to make the playoffs, and they're at 4%. That is a stunning have/have not divide and lack of mediocre/average teams.

Now compare that to the NFC, which thanks to the nature of the NFC East has zero teams mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, only the Falcons and Panthers eliminated from division contention, and five teams (Niners, Bears, Lions, Cowboys, Eagles) with between a 1% and 40% chance to make the playoffs. Then you've got an 8-8 finish as the #7 seed very much in play for both the Vikings and the Cardinals, while a 10-6 AFC team might miss out even with the extra playoff spot.

Roadgeekteen

Patriots probably missing this year, just hope they win out so they keep their winning season streak.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

thspfc

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 11, 2020, 03:07:30 PM
Patriots probably missing this year, just hope they win out so they keep their winning season streak.
Patriots need to rebuild next year IMO. Belichick can't save that team, there's just not enough talent, especially on offense.

webny99

A lot of blowouts today. Only two of the seven 1PM games were decided by one score, and those two were pretty lopsided too before getting close at the end.

thspfc

Cowboys win today. People will whine and say that it's not in their best interest long term, but they're only a game and a half back in the NFC East right now, and that gap could narrow if the name redacted lose to the Niners. Cowboys also play the Giants in week 17. So if Washington and New York stumble down the stretch, who knows. And at the end of the day the Cowboys don't need a super high draft pick. A mid first round pick is fine for them.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 1995hoo on December 06, 2020, 08:42:24 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 27, 2020, 07:51:08 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on October 19, 2020, 07:32:40 AM
Quote from: kurumi on October 04, 2020, 11:40:03 PM
Philly won in SF, so here's the latest:
* Washington Eagles
* Philadelphia 49ers
* San Francisco Football Team

San Francisco are now the Rams. In the interest of clarity, I guess we now have the Los Angeles NFC Football Team ("NFC" being necessary because of their other team).

Los Angeles Bears
Chicago Football Team (next Sunday: home against New Orleans)

Chicago really likes clinging to that "Football Team" thing!

Chicago Texans
Houston Football Team
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 07, 2020, 12:38:35 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 06, 2020, 08:54:58 PM
(I still want to see a game end with a 6—1 score, but insofar as I'm aware, no NFL team has ever scored a one-point safety.)
The 1-point Safety scored by the Offense/against the Defense (as when the Try begins) is much more likely than the 1-point Safety scored by the Defense/against the Offense (as when the Try begins). But when the Offense/"Trying"  team scores a 1-point Safety, it is functionally the same thing as successfully converting the PAT kick thru the uprights, awarding 1 point in addition to the 6 pt TD.

The Offensive 1-point Safety has happened in CFB a few times. The Defensive 1-point Safety, I'm not sure has happened at any level of football, because it takes a ridiculous set of circumstances to make it happen. It would almost *have* to be done intentionally

I expect we'll see an Offensive 1-point Safety in the NFL sometime. Next week or in the next decade, who knows, but I think it will happen. It is an odd play, but it at least has realistic circumstances where it could happen

Something I just realized is that, in college football, it's now possible for a game to end 1-0. The 1-point safety can only be scored on a conversion attempt, which until this year has always required a preceding touchdown, but beginning last year, the 5th overtime on consist of alternating 2-point conversion attempts with no preceding touchdown. It's probably a billion to one odds that a game ever gets to a 5th OT tied 0-0, but if it did, then it could end 1-0.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Roadgeekteen

Jets might actually go 0-16 holly crap

webny99

Eagles stun the Saints, 24-21.

It's exactly the kind of upset that everyone should have easily seen coming, and no one ever does.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on December 13, 2020, 07:37:27 PM
Eagles stun the Saints, 24-21.

It's exactly the kind of upset that everyone should have easily seen coming, and no one ever does.
Since Wentz came into the league, the Eagles are 35-33-1 with him and 11-3 without him.  :hmmm:

webny99

I find it mildly annoying when teams clinch their division this early, but alas, the Packers have clinched the NFC North and the Chiefs have clinched the AFC West.

And Washington with a commanding lead in the NFC East... you hate you see it!  :-D

(Packers, not Saints, have clinched their division. Edited to reflect.)

tchafe1978

Quote from: webny99 on December 13, 2020, 07:56:22 PM
I find it mildly annoying when teams clinch their division this early, but alas, the Saints have clinched the NFC South and the Chiefs have clinched the AFC West.

And Washington with a commanding lead in the NFC East... you hate you see it!  :-D

And the Packers have also clinched the NFC North. Go Pack Go!

webny99

Quote from: tchafe1978 on December 13, 2020, 08:28:04 PM
I find it mildly annoying when teams clinch their division this early, but alas, the Saints have clinched the NFC South and the Chiefs have clinched the AFC West.

Whoops, my bad. You are correct, it's the Packers that have clinched, not the Saints.

Although the Saints have clinched a playoff spot, the Bucs still have a mathematical pathway to the division title.

ilpt4u

Quote from: cabiness42 on December 13, 2020, 04:53:58 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on December 07, 2020, 12:38:35 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on December 06, 2020, 08:54:58 PM
(I still want to see a game end with a 6—1 score, but insofar as I'm aware, no NFL team has ever scored a one-point safety.)
The 1-point Safety scored by the Offense/against the Defense (as when the Try begins) is much more likely than the 1-point Safety scored by the Defense/against the Offense (as when the Try begins). But when the Offense/"Trying"  team scores a 1-point Safety, it is functionally the same thing as successfully converting the PAT kick thru the uprights, awarding 1 point in addition to the 6 pt TD.

The Offensive 1-point Safety has happened in CFB a few times. The Defensive 1-point Safety, I'm not sure has happened at any level of football, because it takes a ridiculous set of circumstances to make it happen. It would almost *have* to be done intentionally

I expect we'll see an Offensive 1-point Safety in the NFL sometime. Next week or in the next decade, who knows, but I think it will happen. It is an odd play, but it at least has realistic circumstances where it could happen

Something I just realized is that, in college football, it's now possible for a game to end 1-0. The 1-point safety can only be scored on a conversion attempt, which until this year has always required a preceding touchdown, but beginning last year, the 5th overtime on consist of alternating 2-point conversion attempts with no preceding touchdown. It's probably a billion to one odds that a game ever gets to a 5th OT tied 0-0, but if it did, then it could end 1-0.
CFB OT is such a joke, and this further change to the already gimmick OT is just worse

I'd rather see the games end in Ties than deciding winners in this ridiculous format

Football isn't played as Innings, and it certainly isn't played alternating single plays.

Good for you, CFB. Good for you.

mgk920

Quote from: tchafe1978 on December 13, 2020, 08:28:04 PM

And owing to the Saints' loss to the Eagles, the Packers now have the #1 seed and first-round bye in the NFC.  Both teams are now 10-3, with the Packers having the tiebreak (head-to-head).

:nod:

Mike

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 11, 2020, 03:07:30 PM

They're not eliminated from the playoffs yet, but with the Bills monster win last night, they are out of the division race.
It would be very Bills-esque if the division comes down to Bills-Dolphins Week 17, but even that seems unlikely since they've got a 2-game lead now.

thspfc

Who knew that starting a kick returner at quarterback doesn't work that well. Saints need to get Brees back so that come playoff time, they can lose a tight game in heartbreaking fashion instead of getting their doors blown off.

thspfc

I've added the Giants to my list of wildly overhyped teams by the media this season. It was really annoying last week. They squeak past the Seahawks because Wilson missed a wide open reciever on the biggest play of the game, and the media was literally acting like they had a shot at the Super Bowl. The list also includes:

- Eagles (preseason hype)
- Cardinals (Kyler Murray hype, hAiL mUrRaY hype)
- Dolphins (all the hype about their defense, only for Mahomes to throw for 393 yards and put up 33 points)

webny99

Agree with the first three even though the Cardinals are still even money to make the playoffs.

As for the Dolphins, they probably aren't making it to the Super Bowl, but if they make the playoffs period, Flores has to be Coach of the Year. It's to their defense's credit that they had 3 interceptions to even keep it close against the Chiefs.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.