News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: thspfc on December 14, 2020, 12:15:25 PM
I've added the Giants to my list of wildly overhyped teams by the media this season. It was really annoying last week. They squeak past the Seahawks because Wilson missed a wide open reciever on the biggest play of the game, and the media was literally acting like they had a shot at the Super Bowl. The list also includes:

- Eagles (preseason hype)
- Cardinals (Kyler Murray hype, hAiL mUrRaY hype)
- Dolphins (all the hype about their defense, only for Mahomes to throw for 393 yards and put up 33 points)

There's almost always going to be a team or two named before the season that is expected to make the playoffs that doesn't.  And vice-versa.

After all, gambling odds work the same way too. 

thspfc

Quote from: jeffandnicole on December 14, 2020, 01:11:18 PM
Quote from: thspfc on December 14, 2020, 12:15:25 PM
I've added the Giants to my list of wildly overhyped teams by the media this season. It was really annoying last week. They squeak past the Seahawks because Wilson missed a wide open reciever on the biggest play of the game, and the media was literally acting like they had a shot at the Super Bowl. The list also includes:

- Eagles (preseason hype)
- Cardinals (Kyler Murray hype, hAiL mUrRaY hype)
- Dolphins (all the hype about their defense, only for Mahomes to throw for 393 yards and put up 33 points)

There's almost always going to be a team or two named before the season that is expected to make the playoffs that doesn't.  And vice-versa.

After all, gambling odds work the same way too.
Yeah, I don't mind preseason hype when it's justified. But you can't look at that roster and say that they have a shot at the playoffs (in a normal division at least). Of course being in the NFC East makes things different.

US 89

That Ravens-Browns MNF matchup was probably the best NFL game of the year.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: US 89 on December 14, 2020, 11:46:43 PM
New Browns played like the Pre-Ravens Browns tonight.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

webny99

After a week of mostly dud games, wow, that one delivered. Definitely top-3 of the year along with the Hail Murray game and Seahawks-Cards Week 7.

Both Bengals-Browns games were great too, but the stakes were much higher tonight. And ultimately, the Ravens needed that one more - the Browns still have the better record!

webny99

With just 3 weeks remaining, you can choose your own results and game out various playoff scenarios here.

Roadgeekteen

Ravens win essentially eliminates the Patriots. Oh well.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

thspfc

My top 10 games list so far: (keep in mind that this is entirely subjective to my tastes)
10. 49ers at Patriots, week 7: This might seem like an odd choice, but IMO this game was the real death of the Patriots' two decade dynasty. It was this game that showed us once and for all that the Patriots' reign was over.
9. Browns at Cowboys, week 4: I walked away from the TV when it was 41-14. 20 minutes later I came back and it was 41-38. There was just so much chaos overall in this game - Jarvis Landry throwing a touchdown pass, Browns rushing for 300 yards, Dak Prescott throwing for 500 yards, and the accidental two point conversion. This game wins the "you can't make this stuff up" category.
8. Packers at Saints, week 3: Hall of Fame QB matchups rarely disappoint, and this was no exception. Alvin Kamara had arguably the best performance by any running back in any game this season - in a losing effort.
7. Chiefs at Buccaneers, week 12: See: Hall of Fame QB matchups. Tyreek Hill went crazy in the first quarter, and at that point it looked like a blowout. Brady had a mistake-prone game, especially by his standards, but there were a few vintage Brady moments in the second half.
6. Falcons at Cowboys, week 2: The most predictable unpredictable game ever. That onside kick was one of the only moments in NFL history when basically anyone who knows anything about football could have made a better play than the guys on the field.
5. Chiefs at Raiders, week 11: A classic back and forth shootout.
4. Bills at Cardinals, week 10: Only reason it's not higher is because nobody would have cared if it weren't for the catch by Hopkins.
3. Ravens at Browns, week 14: Had a little bit of everything. Lamar Jackson set the MNF record for rushing yards by a QB. Then, Maker Bayfield magically figured out how to handle adversity, and led the Browns back, only for Justin Tucker to win it with a long field goal.
2. Seahawks at Cardinals, week 7: I didn't watch any of it but I heard it was great.
1. Patriots at Seahawks, week 2: Pretty much what September is supposed to be in the NFL. Deep touchdowns, great performances, and lots of irony. LOTS of irony.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on December 15, 2020, 12:53:01 PM
My top 10 games list so far: (keep in mind that this is entirely subjective to my tastes)
5. Chiefs at Raiders, week 11: A classic back and forth shootout.
4. Bills at Cardinals, week 10: Only reason it's not higher is because nobody would have cared if it weren't for the catch by Hopkins.
3. Ravens at Browns, week 14: Had a little bit of everything. Lamar Jackson set the MNF record for rushing yards by a QB. Then, Maker Bayfield magically figured out how to handle adversity, and led the Browns back, only for Justin Tucker to win it with a long field goal.
2. Seahawks at Cardinals, week 7: I didn't watch any of it but I heard it was great.
1. Patriots at Seahawks, week 2: Pretty much what September is supposed to be in the NFL. Deep touchdowns, great performances, and lots of irony. LOTS of irony.

Totally agree with your top five, although the order could be argued.

The next five are much more subjective. I'd throw at least one of the Browns-Bengals games in there, and Bills-Rams in Week 3 was pretty wild as well with the second-biggest blown lead in NFL history, a last second touchdown, and a glut of controversial calls.
And for wild finishes, don't forget Lions-Falcons (the accidental Gurley touchdown game).

As for blowouts, my pick for most enjoyable is Niners 17, Dolphins 43. I can't even tell you why, and it's certainly nothing against the Niners, but I just found that to be such a fun beatdown in what may have turned out to be one of Fitzmagic's last starts for Miami.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on December 14, 2020, 11:51:17 PM
Quote from: US 89 on December 14, 2020, 11:46:43 PM
New Browns played like the Pre-Ravens Browns tonight.

Right down to the shocking and unbelievable choke.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

TheHighwayMan3561

What a hilarious loss for the Raiders. They suck.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Billy F 1988

'Tis be another long off-season for Mr. Gruden and company. This once-Oakland Raiders, but hilariously named Las Vegas Raiders team is such a joke in the grand scheme of the NFL landscape. Sure. You could say that with the Jets of which management has been very bland lately. You could potentially say that for Detroit. Man that team is awful. Dallas can't seem to find an identity on defense. And I don't know what's with all the hubbub regarding Josh Allen. He isn't great, but from what I could briefly glean from the talk shows, looks like Allen is on the improvement. Houston? Gosh, what a mess. Baltimore is a bit of a question mark, not because of the QB or his style of play, but mainly how the plays are mapped out and how often those plans get scuppered when Lamar Jackson is having to scramble. This 2020 Patriots team? Yuck. They can't seem to draft newcomers worth diddly mush.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

thspfc

ET21

This is the guy you pay 10 million a year for, gets you an average football team  :-D
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 18, 2020, 12:00:52 AM

They managed to stay above .500 all season against a tough schedule. They're the only team that's beat the Chiefs. They're the only team outside the AFC North that's beat the Browns.

And yet... their 421 points allowed is an NFL-worst, and their sorry defense makes them look like the Chargers... against the Chargers! I mean, come on. You can't get blown out by the Falcons, barely escape the Jets, allow 44 points to the Colts, lose to the Chargers in overtime in Week 15, and make the playoffs. Playoff teams don't do any of those things, much less all four. What a collapse.

FiveThirtyEight has their playoff chances down to 2%, with a 9% chance if they win out, and both of those feel too high. The way the AFC is shaping up, it's more likely that an 11-5 team would miss out than a 9-7 team would make it.

jmacswimmer

It really seemed like neither team wanted to win towards the end...between Badgley's miss, Mariota's interception, Badgley's 2nd miss, AJ Cole borking the hold on Carlson's 65-yard attempt, Raiders coming up just short of a TD in OT...  Great game though!

Quote from: webny99 on December 18, 2020, 09:17:51 AM
...their sorry defense makes them look like the Chargers... against the Chargers!

Even Joe Buck took a dig at them early in the game...

"Marcus Mariota on the sideline, he doesn't appear to be warming up yet...well, he probably knows he has a while, with this defense."  *Troy Aikman starts chuckling in the background* "Sorry, cheap shot!"
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

1995hoo

I was disappointed in the botched hold. I wanted to see how close he'd come on the 65-yard attempt.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on December 18, 2020, 09:17:51 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on December 18, 2020, 12:00:52 AM

They managed to stay above .500 all season against a tough schedule. They're the only team that's beat the Chiefs. They're the only team outside the AFC North that's beat the Browns.

And yet... their 421 points allowed is an NFL-worst, and their sorry defense makes them look like the Chargers... against the Chargers! I mean, come on. You can't get blown out by the Falcons, barely escape the Jets, allow 44 points to the Colts, lose to the Chargers in overtime in Week 15, and make the playoffs. Playoff teams don't do any of those things, much less all four. What a collapse.

FiveThirtyEight has their playoff chances down to 2%, with a 9% chance if they win out, and both of those feel too high. The way the AFC is shaping up, it's more likely that an 11-5 team would miss out than a 9-7 team would make it.
The NFC is a joke but I am really excited for the AFC playoffs. There are four or five teams that I think could upset Kansas City and win the conference. (sorry Baltimore, you're not included in that group).

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on December 18, 2020, 04:14:30 PM
The NFC is a joke but I am really excited for the AFC playoffs. There are four or five teams that I think could upset Kansas City and win the conference. (sorry Baltimore, you're not included in that group).

Four or five is quite a few. That's basically the rest of the playoff field if you exclude the Ravens.

CoreySamson

Quote from: Billy F 1988 on December 18, 2020, 01:59:58 AM
Houston? Gosh, what a mess.

Bill O'Brien, in a futile attempt to get into the playoffs, has ruined this team through stupid moves that will cost them at least 5 years until they could potentially reach playoff contention again. Deshaun Watson is all that's keeping the Texans from being worse than the Jets.

I think the team should trade Watson to the Patriots, trade Watt to the Steelers, trade McKinnie plus some wide recievers to whoever, and start afresh. That would give those guys an opportunity to play on an actual professional football team.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

thspfc

Quote from: CoreySamson on December 18, 2020, 09:17:49 PM
Quote from: Billy F 1988 on December 18, 2020, 01:59:58 AM
Houston? Gosh, what a mess.

Bill O'Brien, in a futile attempt to get into the playoffs, has ruined this team through stupid moves that will cost them at least 5 years until they could potentially reach playoff contention again. Deshaun Watson is all that's keeping the Texans from being worse than the Jets.
They were trying to go all in for a Super Bowl run last year. That bombed and now they're left with the broken pieces and salary cap issues.

thspfc

One very interesting trade would be the Texans giving Deshaun Watson, a second round pick, and a third round pick to the Cowboys in return for Dak Prescott and Dallas' first round pick. It would never happen, but on paper it sounds good. The Texans need a first round pick and the Cowboys need to get out of the Dak contract situation somehow.

webny99

It's official. With a 48-19 win over the Broncos, the Bills win the AFC East for the first time in 25 YEARS!
Where were you 25 years ago? I wasn't even alive! Neither was Josh Allen, he was born 6 months later, in May 1996.

kevinb1994

Quote from: webny99 on December 19, 2020, 07:55:24 PM
It's official. With a 48-19 win over the Broncos, the Bills win the AFC East for the first time in 25 YEARS!
Where were you 25 years ago? I wasn't even alive! Neither was Josh Allen, he was born 6 months later, in May 1996.
I was alive by then ;)

Not that I recall much from that year, I was very young at the time.

Nonetheless, I am very pleased to see the Bills win the AFC East for the first time in 25 years. I just hope that they don't get kicked out of the playoffs or lose the Super Bowl, whatever comes first this post-season.

webny99

Seahawks are the 6th team to clinch a playoff spot; Rams will likely be the 7th. The final NFC spot looks like it will come down to the Bears and Cardinals. Vikings still have a slim chance, Niners will be eliminated if the Cardinals win.

The Pats have been eliminated after a loss to the Dolphins, who are very much still in it. They need to win out and get some help from the Ravens, Browns, or Colts, all likely playoff teams that will be endangered if the last two weeks go wrong. As for the Raiders... yikes. Nothing went their way today. With getting in over the 10-win Colts or Titans now out of reach, it looks like their only path is winning out, Bills beating Dolphins, and either Browns or Ravens losing out against creampuff schedules.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.