News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: webny99 on December 20, 2020, 05:22:03 PM
Seahawks are the 6th team to clinch a playoff spot; Rams will likely be the 7th. The final NFC spot looks like it will come down to the Bears and Cardinals. Vikings still have a slim chance, Niners will be eliminated if the Cardinals win.

The Pats have been eliminated after a loss to the Dolphins, who are very much still in it. They need to win out and get some help from the Ravens, Browns, or Colts, all likely playoff teams that will be endangered if the last two weeks go wrong. As for the Raiders... yikes. Nothing went their way today. With getting in over the 10-win Colts or Titans now out of reach, it looks like their only path is winning out, Bills beating Dolphins, and either Browns or Ravens losing out against creampuff schedules.

Rams just lost to the Jets.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on November 30, 2020, 09:01:46 PM
Quote from: Alps on November 30, 2020, 07:05:43 PM
Quote from: webny99 on November 29, 2020, 11:32:22 PM
... It's tough to pick the top 5 worst losses so far because the Falcons and Chargers have so many to choose from... but here's what I'd go with:

1. Jets 23, Rams 20
1. 2.Vikings 26, Seahawks 27
2. 3. Falcons 39, Cowboys 40
3. 4. Bills 30, Cardinals 3
5. Falcons 22, Lions 23
Next game the Jets win is on this list by default.
If it's this season, then yes.  :)

As promised. Didn't think it would happen, but you just never know.

thspfc

Quote from: cabiness42 on December 20, 2020, 07:07:47 PM
Seahawks are the 6th team to clinch a playoff spot; Rams will likely be the 7th. The final NFC spot looks like it will come down to the Bears and Cardinals. Vikings still have a slim chance, Niners will be eliminated if the Cardinals win.

The Pats have been eliminated after a loss to the Dolphins, who are very much still in it. They need to win out and get some help from the Ravens, Browns, or Colts, all likely playoff teams that will be endangered if the last two weeks go wrong. As for the Raiders... yikes. Nothing went their way today. With getting in over the 10-win Colts or Titans now out of reach, it looks like their only path is winning out, Bills beating Dolphins, and either Browns or Ravens losing out against creampuff schedules.

The Rams have one problem. It's not their offense, it's not their defense, it's not their coach or GM. It's their tendency to absolutely stink once every three weeks. Think about it:

Week 1-2: good
Week 3: bad
Week 4-5: good
Week 6: bad
Week 7 and 9: good
Week 8: bad
Week 10 and 11: good
Week 12: bad
Week 13-14: good
Week 15: bad

So they're going to win the NFC West at 11-5, then lose at home to the Seahawks or Buccaneers.

kevinb1994

Quote from: webny99 on December 20, 2020, 07:21:36 PM
Quote from: webny99 on November 30, 2020, 09:01:46 PM
Quote from: Alps on November 30, 2020, 07:05:43 PM
Quote from: webny99 on November 29, 2020, 11:32:22 PM
... It's tough to pick the top 5 worst losses so far because the Falcons and Chargers have so many to choose from... but here's what I'd go with:

1. Jets 23, Rams 20
1. 2.Vikings 26, Seahawks 27
2. 3. Falcons 39, Cowboys 40
3. 4. Bills 30, Cardinals 3
5. Falcons 22, Lions 23
Next game the Jets win is on this list by default.
If it's this season, then yes.  :)

As promised. Didn't think it would happen, but you just never know.
J-E-T-S Jets-Jets-Jets.

Finally, we win a game this season!

thspfc

Was anyone surprised at all when the Falcons squandered a 24-7 lead to the Bucs? I honestly feel a little bit bad for those players. It has to be so demoralizing. And now the media can't blame the coach either, because they don't have a permanent coach.

In other news (if you can call it that?), the Cowboys win their second straight to improve to 5-9. The Niners celebrating after a meaningless hail mary in a game that they were completely outplayed in and lost was disgusting, and really sums up their season. But the situation with Dallas is a prime example of why you shouldn't tank the moment things look bad. They are now a game back of first in the division. They still need to win out and have Washington lose out, but their playoff hopes are higher right now than they've been at any point in the last three months.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on December 20, 2020, 07:34:31 PM
Was anyone surprised at all when the Falcons squandered a 24-7 lead to the Bucs? I honestly feel a little bit bad for those players. It has to be so demoralizing. And now the media can't blame the coach either, because they don't have a permanent coach.

... The Niners celebrating after a meaningless hail mary in a game that they were completely outplayed in and lost was disgusting, and really sums up their season. ...

Disgusting? That's pretty harsh. The Niners have been decimated this season plus having to move to Arizona for their home games. Of course they still lost, but you have to give them a bit of a break.

As for the Falcons blown lead, yeah, it was total script, but that last first down they handed the Bucs was what I thought was disgusting.

Quote from: cabiness42 on December 20, 2020, 07:07:47 PM
Seahawks are the 6th team to clinch a playoff spot; Rams will likely be the 7th.

I hadn't looked at the game prior to posting. It did enter my mind that I was possibly handing the Jets their first win of the season by posting that.
The Rams being the seventh team to clinch a playoff spot, however, has not been ruled out. It just won't be today.

webny99

With three divisions already decided and two more on the cusp of being decided, the NFC East is the only division with more than two teams still in contention. Washington can clinch if they win out, but all four teams still have a shot.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on December 21, 2020, 11:34:13 AM
With three divisions already decided and two more on the cusp of being decided, the NFC East is the only division with more than two teams still in contention. Washington can clinch if they win out, but all four teams still have a shot.
Simplest scenarios for each team:
Washington - win out
Giants - have a better record than Washington by at least one game over the next two weeks
Cowboys - win out and Washington lose out
Eagles - win out, Washington lose out, Giants lose at least once

webny99

Whoa, the Burrow-less Bengals with a monster upset over the Steelers!

I don't dare even say what this could mean for Week 17... but I like it, a lot!

ilpt4u

Quote from: webny99 on December 21, 2020, 11:29:28 PM

Week 15 became Upset Weekend

2 of the bottom 3 teams in the League (also in the AFC) scored big upset wins

In terms of Week 17...all but guarantees Steelers/Browns will be SNF, and could very well end up being the AFCN Title Game

webny99

This AFC playoff picture is getting spicy. Interestingly enough, the Ravens are the only team in the picture that doesn't control their own destiny. Browns, Colts, and Dolphins are all in if they win out.

If the Dolphins win out to clinch a spot, things get very interesting for the Browns and Ravens, as one of them is going to miss out... unless the Colts drop the Pittsburgh game, which puts their spot in a lot of peril because it gives the Titans a big advantage in the division race, and both the Browns and Ravens have the head-to-head tiebreaker.

The Browns could be in a situation where their playoff berth depends on getting to 12-4 and beating the Steelers to win the division... and if they do it, the 11-5 Ravens miss the playoffs. Now that is a juicy storyline.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on December 23, 2020, 09:13:38 AM
This AFC playoff picture is getting spicy. Interestingly enough, the Ravens are the only team in the picture that doesn't control their own destiny. Browns, Colts, and Dolphins are all in if they win out.

If the Dolphins win out to clinch a spot, things get very interesting for the Browns and Ravens, as one of them is going to miss out... unless the Colts drop the Pittsburgh game, which puts their spot in a lot of peril because it gives the Titans a big advantage in the division race, and both the Browns and Ravens have the head-to-head tiebreaker.

The Browns could be in a situation where their playoff berth depends on getting to 12-4 and beating the Steelers to win the division... and if they do it, the 11-5 Ravens miss the playoffs. Now that is a juicy storyline.
Miami is going to lose at least once in their next two games. Baltimore has been nearly perfect against sub-.500 teams in the Lamar era, so they should win out. With the way things are currently trending, the Colts (won five of their last six) will beat the Steelers this weekend, and the Steelers will lose to the Browns (also won five of their last six). If the Titans lose to Green Bay, that puts Indy in the driver's seat in the AFC South. Guess who they get to play in week 17?
So I predict the standings will be as follows:
1. Chiefs: 15-1 or 14-2, depending on whether or not they play their starters in week 17
2. Bills: 13-3
3. Browns: 12-4
4. Colts: 12-4
5. Steelers: 11-5
6. Titans: 11-5
7. Ravens: 11-5

At this point I'm kind of hoping the Dolphins miss the playoffs because yesterday I listened to Colin Cowherd compare Tua, a rookie QB who is averaging less than 200 passing yards per game, and Brian Flores, who has a career losing record as a head coach, to Brady and Belichick. I always like to see him be wrong, even if he almost never admits it.

webny99

As much I'd like to see it, I'd be shocked if the Browns win the AFC North. The script is all written for a close, exciting loss in Week 17.
Remember, the Ravens blew out the Browns the first time around, and were coming into the Monday night game on a big losing streak. This sets up very similarly.

Quote from: thspfc on December 23, 2020, 09:53:12 AM
Miami is going to lose at least once in their next two games.
At this point I'm kind of hoping the Dolphins miss the playoffs because yesterday I listened to Colin Cowherd compare Tua, a rookie QB who is averaging less than 200 passing yards per game, and Brian Flores, who has a career losing record as a head coach, to Brady and Belichick. I always like to see him be wrong, even if he almost never admits it.

The Dolphins are a better all-around team than the Raiders, so I trust them there, and then it depends on whether the Bills play their starters in Week 17. They might be locked into the #2 seed.

The Brady-Belichick comparison seems premature, but there's definitely some parallels to the 2001 Patriots. Flores is a great coach, I think he deserves Coach of the Year but it will likely only happen if they make the playoffs.

Quote from: thspfc on December 23, 2020, 09:53:12 AM
If the Titans lose to Green Bay, that puts Indy in the driver's seat in the AFC South. Guess who they get to play in week 17?

The team they lost to in Week 1! It's not going to happen, but it would be amusing if this otherwise winless Jaguars season was bookended by wins over the Colts.

jmd41280

I have a bad feeling that Pittsburgh is going to end up 11-5. The way they're playing right now, it is completely possible. Usually, 11-5 is not a bad thing. However, it is if you started 11-0.

Unfortunately, I think this is it for Big Ben. His age and last year's elbow surgery seem to be catching up w/ him. Plus, our OC is awful at play-calling. Very short shovel pass, a run with no gain, an incomplete deep pass, punt. Lather, rinse, repeat. I'm hoping Pittsburgh trades up in the draft and selects one of the available QBs in the first round.
"Increase the Flash Gordon noise and put more science stuff around!"

thspfc

Quote from: jmd41280 on December 23, 2020, 05:15:41 PM

I have a bad feeling that Pittsburgh is going to end up 11-5. The way they're playing right now, it is completely possible. Usually, 11-5 is not a bad thing. However, it is if you started 11-0.

Unfortunately, I think this is it for Big Ben. His age and last year's elbow surgery seem to be catching up w/ him. Plus, our OC is awful at play-calling. Very short shovel pass, a run with no gain, an incomplete deep pass, punt. Lather, rinse, repeat. I'm hoping Pittsburgh trades up in the draft and selects one of the available QBs in the first round.
Father Time has caught up to Big Ben

jemacedo9

Quote from: thspfc on December 23, 2020, 09:12:41 PM
Quote from: jmd41280 on December 23, 2020, 05:15:41 PM

Nicely done...   :clap:

webny99

Quote from: jemacedo9 on December 24, 2020, 10:44:58 AM

Nicely done...   :clap:

Indeed! Can't believe I missed that the first time I read it.

Henry

How's this for a surprise: No Thursday Night Football this week, but there will be a Christmas Day game for the first time in a while (Vikings at Saints). I can see why the NFL wants to avoid playing on 12/24-12/25 and 12/31-1/1 if it can avoid that.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Henry on December 24, 2020, 08:00:11 PM
How's this for a surprise: No Thursday Night Football this week, but there will be a Christmas Day game for the first time in a while (Vikings at Saints). I can see why the NFL wants to avoid playing on 12/24-12/25 and 12/31-1/1 if it can avoid that.

Usually when Christmas Day falls on a Sunday, most of that week's NFL action gets pushed to Christmas Eve Saturday with a special national game or two on Christmas Day Sunday.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

thspfc

Here we go again with the December scheduling conversation.

Once again, all week 17 games are on a Sunday. No Thursday, Saturday, or Monday games.

mgk920

Quote from: thspfc on December 24, 2020, 09:42:37 PM

Once again, all week 17 games are on a Sunday. No Thursday, Saturday, or Monday games.

For many seasons now the week 17 games have been within divisions and most start at the same time.  This is to cut down on playoff positioning hanky-panky.  It's the same reason why FIFA now schedules the third games of the first round (group play) within each group in the World Cup to start at the same time.

Mike

TheHighwayMan3561

I think the all-divisional week 17 is stupid and I was never in favor of it. 11 seasons too many of that format.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: mgk920 on December 25, 2020, 12:19:29 PM

For many seasons now the week 17 games have been within divisions and most start at the same time.  This is to cut down on playoff positioning hanky-panky.  It's the same reason why FIFA now schedules the third games of the first round (group play) within each group in the World Cup to start at the same time.

Mike

Even more than avoiding hanky-panky, having all the games on the same day ensures that playoff opponents are on equal rest.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ilpt4u

If it were not for the TV Broadcast Deals with CBS, FOX, and NBC and needing to fill 3 separate Sunday Broadcast windows, really all the Week 17 games should all be 4-4:30 EST Kickoffs - all playing at the same time

Guaranteeing an Intradivision game in W17 greatly increases the chances that CBS, FOX, and/or NBC will get to broadcast a Division Title Game - again, done due to the TV contracts

MLB does similar for Game 162 - All games start in the 4-4:30 EDT timeframe, so any "Final Day"  Playoff/Divisional Pennant situations end up being contested at the same time. Obviously, MLB can't guarantee an Intradivisional, or even Intraleague, game for Week 17, as each Division and each League has an odd numeber of teams

1995hoo

But the two posts before yours were talking about this week, which is Week 16. Normally there would have been a Thursday game, but they moved it to Friday since today is Christmas.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.