News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

thspfc

Somebody tweeted that the most enthusiasm they'd seen all season from the Giants' offense was last night on Twitter.

webny99

We're now up to 6 head coaching vacancies: Texans, Falcons, Lions, Jets, Jaguars, and Chargers.

I'm surprised by the Chargers. I figured Anthony Lynn saved his job with 4 straight wins to end the season. Just goes to show how much I know, I guess. 7-9 isn't a horrific record, but going 3-9 capped by the terrible 45-0 shutout against the Patriots must have sealed it. The Chargers are absolutely a 10- or 12-win playoff team with a better coach and the talent they've got.

Alps

Closing thoughts re: Eagles - Looking at Hurts' stats, I see no reason why he shouldn't have been lifted. Looking at Wentz' news stories lately, I see no reason why he would have been played. He's done in Philly. Hurts has a way to go. They would not have won that game without Wentz.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Alps on January 04, 2021, 03:43:50 PM
Closing thoughts re: Eagles - Looking at Hurts' stats, I see no reason why he shouldn't have been lifted. Looking at Wentz' news stories lately, I see no reason why he would have been played. He's done in Philly. Hurts has a way to go. They would not have won that game without Wentz.

Pedersen's post game presser indicated his decision was no more than "kid rode the bench all season and deserved to play" . That's how high school works, not the NFL. Here's my problem with it is that although Hurts wasn't great (he did score both TDs though), is it immediately became clear why you don't just switch QBs for fun. First, he fumbled the snap and Washington recovered. Your center was used to Hurts being back there, not this guy. Then a drive or two later, he missed an open WR on an out route and on the next play a WR had to make a great play to come back to an easy comeback route. The WRs were used to the niches of working with Hurts on these routes, not this guy's. Hurts still gave them the best chance to win.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 04, 2021, 04:29:33 PM

Pedersen's post game presser indicated his decision was no more than "kid rode the bench all season and deserved to play" . That's how high school works, not the NFL. Here's my problem with it is that although Hurts wasn't great (he did score both TDs though), is it immediately became clear why you don't just switch QBs for fun. First, he fumbled the snap and Washington recovered. Your center was used to Hurts being back there, not this guy. Then a drive or two later, he missed an open WR on an out route and on the next play a WR had to make a great play to come back to an easy comeback route. The WRs were used to the niches of working with Hurts on these routes, not this guy's. Hurts still gave them the best chance to win.

What is Philly's incentive to win? They get a worse draft pick. Want to give teams incentives to go all-out to win in Week 17? Make the draft order more of an NBA-style lottery rather than strictly by record. Also, have a bonus pool for teams that win Week 17. If winning that game is worth $25K a person, that QB change doesn't happen.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

thspfc

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 04, 2021, 04:41:34 PM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 04, 2021, 04:29:33 PM

What is Philly's incentive to win? They get a worse draft pick.
How many times do I need to answer this question in this thread? Do you guys just not have any competitive values?

The Eagles' incentive to win is that winning is fun and losing is not.

thspfc

The media has been going bonkers over Pederson today, but I agree with some others in this thread. Hurts was awful and he deserved to be benched. He's earned the chance be the Eagles' QB next year with his play over his first three starts, but I agreed with the choice to bench him in that moment.

webny99

It was basically known before the game that Sudfeld might play. Stuff like that happens with some frequency, it's just getting so much attention because it was a close, prime-time game, and the season finale, no less.

I think there's an unspoken rule that you play to win in a game that high profile... and the Eagles definitely could have won! But as far as the organization/coaching staff/fans are concerned, the will to kick the Giants out of the the playoffs and keep the #6 pick > the will to win a meaningless game in a lost season while dropping three spots in the draft. And it's not even that close.

It's too bad there wasn't a true division title game with both teams playing to win, but ultimately, the entire NFC East got what they deserved. It was a weird and certainly fitting way to end to the regular season.

jeffandnicole

It's also being overlooked that Washington should have been playing for their playoff lives, but yet may have gotten lucky that the Eagles seemingly gave up. Washington was the favorite to win, yet they failed to cover the spread (-6.5),  even against a very injured starting Eagles lineup. 

It was a bleak performance by Washington overall, and if Hurts remained in the game that probably would have been the bigger story.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on January 04, 2021, 11:31:26 PM
It was basically known before the game that Sudfeld might play. Stuff like that happens with some frequency, it's just getting so much attention because it was a close, prime-time game, and the season finale, no less.

I think there's an unspoken rule that you play to win in a game that high profile... and the Eagles definitely could have won! But as far as the organization/coaching staff/fans are concerned, the will to kick the Giants out of the the playoffs and keep the #6 pick > the will to win a meaningless game in a lost season while dropping three spots in the draft. And it's not even that close.
Kick the Giants out . . . and let the Washington Football Team in. Yep, big difference there.  :rolleyes:
6th pick to 9th pick? A solid starter to a solid starter? Massive difference there.  :rolleyes:

Lol

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on January 05, 2021, 09:14:04 AM
Kick the Giants out . . . and let the Washington Football Team in. Yep, big difference there.  :rolleyes:
6th pick to 9th pick? A solid starter to a solid starter? Massive difference there.  :rolleyes:

Neither of those are a big difference to you and me, but I was referring to the perspective of the Eagles organization/coaches/fans (not necessarily players). I think they hate the Giants way more than they hate Washington, and they would certainly never live it down if they let the 6-10 Giants into the playoffs, especially if the Giants then went on a playoff run (remembering that they were a 2pt conversion away from overtime against the Bucs earlier this season).

As for the pick, three spots in the draft is worth way more than a Week 17 win in a lost season, especially since they're near the top of the draft.

Henry

Circling da Bears' game in New Orleans on my calendar right now! I'm so glad the playoffs got expanded, because under the old format, they would've been eliminated already.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on January 05, 2021, 09:58:44 AM
Quote from: thspfc on January 05, 2021, 09:14:04 AM

Neither of those are a big difference to you and me, but I was referring to the perspective of the Eagles organization/coaches/fans (not necessarily players). I think they hate the Giants way more than they hate Washington, and they would certainly never live it down if they let the 6-10 Giants into the playoffs, especially if the Giants then went on a playoff run (remembering that they were a 2pt conversion away from overtime against the Bucs earlier this season).

As for the pick, three spots in the draft is worth way more than a Week 17 win in a lost season, especially since they're near the top of the draft.
I speak from expierence when I say that ending a season on a loss in sports is the equivalent of pulling your teeth out. Winning that game would have created so much more optimism in the locker room going into next year.

plain

Even though we got shafted by our arch rivals (I for one am not surprised it happened), I'm just hoping the Giants do at least decent in the draft. Only thing is we still have Gettleman at the helm smdh. Still I think the Eagles would've put up a better effort if the Cowboys would've had that shot instead of us. I'm kinda wishing the WSH/PHI game was the early game instead of DAL/NYG  :-D
Newark born, Richmond bred

thspfc

Wild Card predictions:
Bills 38, Colts 17
Seahawks 23, Rams 17
Buccaneers 31, WFT 7
Titans 35, Ravens 34
Bears 20, Saints 17
Steelers 26, Browns 21

My Super Bowl prediction just in case: Packers 26-18 Bills, Aaron Jones MVP

webny99

Bills escape with a 27-24 win over the Colts that undoubtedly cost everyone in Western NY a few years off their lives. Colts had a missed FG AND went for a 4th&3 right before halftime that also would've been an easy FG. Then at the end a controversial fumble call that went the Colts way.

But hey, a win's a win.

webny99

The Seahawks' first home playoff loss since 2004 is a very disappointing end to a 12-4 season, although you have to hand it to the Rams for what they've overcome. No disrespect to the Rams, but the NFC divisional round is a lot less juicy now that the Seahawks aren't involved.

Max Rockatansky

Seattle can't play defense and it came back to haunt them, I don't find the result today too surprising.  It doesn't help that Washington didn't allow at least some crowd in the stands IMO.

webny99

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 09, 2021, 10:25:15 PM
Seattle can't play defense and it came back to haunt them, I don't find the result today too surprising.  It doesn't help that Washington didn't allow at least some crowd in the stands IMO.

Agreed with your first point, but did you mean Seattle?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: webny99 on January 10, 2021, 01:58:23 PM

Washington won the Division, so they hosted.

Max Rockatansky

No, I mean Washington State in regards to COVID restrictions.  I believe the no fans in attendance is a State thing. 

webny99

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 10, 2021, 02:28:07 PM
No, I mean Washington State in regards to COVID restrictions.  I believe the no fans in attendance is a State thing.

Ah, OK. Got confused because Washington the Football Team also played yesterday.

1995hoo

I assumed he meant the state government wasn't allowing fans and that it robbed Seattle of an aspect of home-field advantage.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TheHighwayMan3561

The Seahawks just beat the Rams in Seattle two weeks ago. Rams just came to play and Seattle didn't.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.