News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevinb1994

Quote from: webny99 on January 18, 2021, 09:58:26 AM
With the conference championships again on the horizon, what were the best AFC/NFC championships of the past decade?

For the AFC, Pats 37/Chiefs 31 (OT) in the 2018-19 playoffs. Don't like the result, but it was undeniably a great game.
For the NFC, Seahawks 28/Packers 22 (OT) in the 2014-15 playoffs. One of the wildest games in NFL history period, much less the playoffs.
Hey, it looks like we could have a Brady/Mahomes rematch in the Super Bowl this post-season.

webny99

Quote from: kevinb1994 on January 18, 2021, 10:19:43 AM
Hey, it looks like we could have a Brady/Mahomes rematch in the Super Bowl this post-season.

Of the four potential Super Bowl matchups, that one is by far my least-favorite.

NWI_Irish96

As a Bears fan, I've been conditioned to strongly dislike the Packers.
As a Notre Dame grad and fan, I've been conditioned to strongly dislike Michigan, including Tom Brady.

I may not even watch the NFC Championship game and will be rooting for the AFC team in the Super Bowl regardless of matchup.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

I-39

Quote from: webny99 on January 18, 2021, 09:58:26 AM
With the conference championships again on the horizon, what were the best AFC/NFC championships of the past decade?

For the AFC, Pats 37/Chiefs 31 (OT) in the 2018-19 playoffs. Don't like the result, but it was undeniably a great game.
For the NFC, Seahawks 28/Packers 22 (OT) in the 2014-15 playoffs. One of the wildest games in NFL history period, much less the playoffs.

Please no. I'm tired of seeing Brady in the Super Bowl.

thspfc

Don't let the final score or cries about the fumble touchback rule decieve you: the Browns got dominated by the Chiefs. Think, if Butker makes that extra point and that chip shot FG, now it's 26-17. If KC turns even one of those four FG drives into TDs, now it's 30-17. If Mahomes doesn't get hurt, it's even more than that because they scored on all but one of their drives until Mahomes went down. Baker was not impressive at all, it was checkdown after checkdown all game. Stefanski's defenisve gameplan was not too bad, but on offense, it was terrible. Landry, arguably their best player, had 7 receptions for 20 yards. That's less than 3 yards per catch. Ick.

It was a little sad to see Brees go out on such a disappointing game, but I think that was more about the Tampa defense than it was the Saints "offense" (?). They smothered all of the plays that the Saints did to perfection all year long.

The NFC title game is almost a reverse of what the narrative around Bucs/Saints game was. I would certainly say that Tampa is a better roster than New Orleans, but the Saints won in dominating fashion in the regular season. Tampa crushed the Packers in the regular season despite most agreeing that Green Bay has the better team. So for that reason I am inclined to pick Green Bay, but it's also hard to pick against Brady . . .

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on January 18, 2021, 03:39:58 PM

Of the four potential Super Bowl matchups, that one is by far my least-favorite.
I would love to see Brady/Mahomes in the Super Bowl. Really there's not a bad Super Bowl matchup left. Bucs/Bills would be very lacking in terms of history but it wouldn't be a dull game.

The Ghostbuster

Being a lifelong Packer fan, I hope the Packers do beat the Buccaneers in the NFC Championship Game. But I am highly pessimistic about their chances, given their Week 6 performance in Tampa. As for the AFC Championship game, I expect the Chiefs will get Patrick Mahomes back from concussion protocol and they will defeat the Bills to get back to the Super Bowl for the second straight year. I will hold off on making predictions about who will win the Super Bowl until the current four teams left are narrowed down to two.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on January 18, 2021, 06:56:30 PM
Don't let the final score or cries about the fumble touchback rule decieve you: the Browns got dominated by the Chiefs.

Well, it was a minimum six-point swing, and they lost by five, so...

Quote from: thspfc on January 18, 2021, 07:01:08 PMBucs/Bills would be very lacking in terms of history but it wouldn't be a dull game.

Come on now. Brady and the Bills have almost as much history as Brady and the Bill!

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: thspfc on January 18, 2021, 06:56:30 PM
Don't let the final score or cries about the fumble touchback rule decieve you:

Not saying that Cleveland deserved to win, but it is a stupid rule. You can lose possession without actually losing possession. In this case it was compounded by the fact that an illegal hit dislodged the ball but that is not reviewable. If the NFL wants to say that only deliberate head to head contact is a penalty and instant replay can't determine intent, I get that, but when head to head contact forces a fumble there ought to be a remedy for that.

Another stupid rule is that a kickoff that is in bounds can be considered out of bounds by being touched by a player who is out of bounds. It's a cheap way to get better field position and needs to be changed.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Alps

As long as Pretty Boy Brady gets completely annihilated on Sunday I will be happy, but I would prefer the Bills as a "new face" in the Bowl.

Henry

Quote from: Alps on January 19, 2021, 02:08:13 AM
As long as Pretty Boy Brady gets completely annihilated on Sunday I will be happy, but I would prefer the Bills as a "new face" in the Bowl.
You mean an old face, because they lost four in a row from 1991 to '94!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Alps

Quote from: Henry on January 19, 2021, 10:22:36 AM
Quote from: Alps on January 19, 2021, 02:08:13 AM
You mean an old face, because they lost four in a row from 1991 to '94!
I put it in quotes for a reason, but they haven't been there in a long time.

kurumi

A Bills/Bucs superbowl would be epic, whatever the outcome. The Bills would be America's team for the moment, with out of state TV people babbling about chicken wings and lake effect and whatnot. If the Bills vanquish their ancient enemy, it'll be like the Red Sox in 2004. No table would be safe. But if, if, he who shall not be named gets a 7th ring, immediately after leaving the team where he earned his first 6, then we would know 2020 was not quite over.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

ET21

Two matchups I wouldn't mind seeing for the SB with the 4 teams left

GB/KC: rematch of SB 1
Bills/Bucs: Two random teams that have had droughts making it to the big game
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

1995hoo

If the Tampa Bay Football Team make it, it'll give the Brady worshippers one more thing to trumpet, as they would become the first team to play in a Super Bowl at their home stadium. (It's bound to happen someday now that the game isn't being held at non-NFL venues in the same metropolitan area, such as the various games played at the Rose Bowl, or Super Bowl XIX at the old Stanford Stadium before it was demolished and rebuilt.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Henry

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 20, 2021, 09:30:35 AM
If the Tampa Bay Football Team make it, it'll give the Brady worshippers one more thing to trumpet, as they would become the first team to play in a Super Bowl at their home stadium. (It's bound to happen someday now that the game isn't being held at non-NFL venues in the same metropolitan area, such as the various games played at the Rose Bowl, or Super Bowl XIX at the old Stanford Stadium before it was demolished and rebuilt.)
I can only imagine those Vikings fans still lamenting the fact that they never got a chance to play for the Lombardi Trophy in their own building a couple of years back.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

webny99

Philip Rivers is retiring after 16 seasons with the Chargers and 1 season with the Colts.
The two-minute drill attempt against the Bills in the Wild Card Round is such a fitting way for his NFL career to conclude.

https://www.colts.com/news/retirement-philip-rivers-statement-17-nfl-seasons-san-diego-chargers-2020-season

Henry

Don't be surprised if Drew Brees hangs it up too, after the Saints' loss to their division rivals from Tampa Bay. At least he has one Super Bowl ring.

thspfc

Quote from: Henry on January 21, 2021, 10:38:12 AM
At least he has one Super Bowl ring
. . . that should be heavily tainted by Bountygate but somehow is not, while Brady and Belichick have legacies of cheating over pretty much nothing. To be fair, Bountygate was out of Brees' control (supposedly; wouldn't be surprised if the media purposely left him out of the controversy) and he did get robbed of a more legitimate trip to the SB a few years ago.

TheHighwayMan3561

As a Vikings fan, I can't really be bothered by the bounty shit as much as we turned it over 5 times in that game along with a slew of other devastating errors. I didn't even want them to change the OT rules just because my team got fucked by them. Our defense didn't stop them in OT.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

triplemultiplex

The Pack will do fine against Tampa if they don't cough the ball up three times.  That's the only reason the first game got out of hand.

I'm predicting an State Farm super bowl. ;)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

thspfc

Quote from: thspfc on December 15, 2020, 12:53:01 PM
My top 10 games list so far: (keep in mind that this is entirely subjective to my tastes)
10. 49ers at Patriots, week 7: This might seem like an odd choice, but IMO this game was the real death of the Patriots' two decade dynasty. It was this game that showed us once and for all that the Patriots' reign was over.
9. Browns at Cowboys, week 4: I walked away from the TV when it was 41-14. 20 minutes later I came back and it was 41-38. There was just so much chaos overall in this game - Jarvis Landry throwing a touchdown pass, Browns rushing for 300 yards, Dak Prescott throwing for 500 yards, and the accidental two point conversion. This game wins the "you can't make this stuff up" category.
8. Packers at Saints, week 3: Hall of Fame QB matchups rarely disappoint, and this was no exception. Alvin Kamara had arguably the best performance by any running back in any game this season - in a losing effort.
7. Chiefs at Buccaneers, week 12: See: Hall of Fame QB matchups. Tyreek Hill went crazy in the first quarter, and at that point it looked like a blowout. Brady had a mistake-prone game, especially by his standards, but there were a few vintage Brady moments in the second half.
6. Falcons at Cowboys, week 2: The most predictable unpredictable game ever. That onside kick was one of the only moments in NFL history when basically anyone who knows anything about football could have made a better play than the guys on the field.
5. Chiefs at Raiders, week 11: A classic back and forth shootout.
4. Bills at Cardinals, week 10: Only reason it's not higher is because nobody would have cared if it weren't for the catch by Hopkins.
3. Ravens at Browns, week 14: Had a little bit of everything. Lamar Jackson set the MNF record for rushing yards by a QB. Then, Maker Bayfield magically figured out how to handle adversity, and led the Browns back, only for Justin Tucker to win it with a long field goal.
2. Seahawks at Cardinals, week 7: I didn't watch any of it but I heard it was great.
1. Patriots at Seahawks, week 2: Pretty much what September is supposed to be in the NFL. Deep touchdowns, great performances, and lots of irony. LOTS of irony.
I'm updating and expanding my list, with something of a playoffs bias due to the one and done nature of them:
20. Buccaneers at Falcons, week 15
19. Ravens at Titans, wild card
18. Browns at Cowboys, week 4
17. Cowboys at Giants, week 17
16. Dolphins at Raiders, week 16
15. Packers at Saints, week 3
14. Chiefs at Buccaneers, week 12
13. Falcons at Cowboys, week 2
12. Buccaneers at Saints, divisional
11. Chiefs at Raiders, week 11
10. Bills at Cardinals, week 10
9. Buccaneers at WFT, wild card
8. Colts at Bills, wild card
7. Ravens at Browns, week 14
6. Seahawks at Cardinals, week 7
5. Titans at Texans, week 17
4. Browns at Steelers, wild card
3. Browns at Chiefs, divisional
2. Patriots at Seahawks, week 2
1. Buccaneers at Packers, NFC championship

jeffandnicole

Quote from: thspfc on January 24, 2021, 07:42:26 PM
1. Buccaneers at Packers, NFC championship

Other than the Packers coming back to make it a close game, there wasn't anything really exciting to make it a really great game. The only memorable thing to come out of it is Tampa will be the 1st team to host and play in the Superbowl.

US 89

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 24, 2021, 07:50:05 PM
Other than the Packers coming back to make it a close game

I wish they hadn't. Makes the end result all the worse.

Packers probably did deserve to lose, but that PI at the end really shouldn't have been called given the holds the Bucs had gotten away with over the course of that game.

TheHighwayMan3561

Bucs played like ass in the second half offensively, but GB couldn't do anything with the mistakes. GB's coaching today was similarly rectal with the poor defensive call allowing the Bucs to get the Hail Mary TD and then obviously kicking the field goal down 8 with 3 minutes left.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.