News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

Quote from: JayhawkCO on December 03, 2021, 02:58:46 PM
Quote from: thspfc on December 03, 2021, 02:06:48 PM
If it was any other team besides the Cowboys, the main story from last night would be how the defense picked off Taysom Hill four times. Instead, the stories are, the offense "struggled mightily"  (i.e. gained 377 total yards and only had one turnover), "couldn't run the ball"  (i.e. 146 rush yards), and "the refs handed them the game"  (entirely based off of one bad call in the third quarter that, had the correct decision been made, it would have granted a first down in minus territory to an offense that sucked until the fourth quarter. Also conveniently ignores the missed roughing the passer on the interception Dak threw.)

By the way, the Cowboys were missing their head coach, their #2 WR, and their top RB was banged up.

Don't really care, any day that the Saints lose is a good day. Not having to listen to their fans cry about referees in the playoffs will be nice.

The Superdome is not a hOsTiLe EnViOrNmEnT. Not sure why this objectively false narrative continues to be perpetuated. The Saints are 1-4 at home and 4-3 away from home. Since 2018 they are 21-13 at home and 24-7 away from home. In three consecutive seasons they've lost a playoff game in their own building, and now they've lost two games that were effectively playoff games in their own building in a week, because they're for sure done now.

If you watched though, the Cowboys couldn't run the ball, and when they do run it, they run it with their 2nd best RB. Take away two long runs (one my Pollard and one by CeeDee), they had 55 yards on 22 carries.  A solid 2.5 yards per carry.  If you can't run the ball consistently, you shouldn't make it a focus of your offensive game plan.  It will come back to bite them in the playoffs.

Looks like the Cowboys won as many games as the Colts did in the playoffs.

Let's see what Zeke averaged running the ball.  Oh.  2.6 yards per carry.  And look, Pollard averaged more. 

Called it almost exactly back in early December.

thspfc

I like the 7 team per conference playoffs from a regular season standpoint, because it makes the competition for playoff spots more interesting. But 7 seeds are now 0-4 vs. 2 seeds. Compare that to 6 seeds being 3-1 against 3 seeds, and 5 seeds being 2-1 against 4 seeds pending tonight's result.

1995hoo

Quote from: jgb191 on January 16, 2022, 11:38:50 PM
Thank You Niners for restoring peace to my home state of Texas!  Let's see that's 26 years down, 83 more years to go before the Cowboys break the Cubs' record for the longest drought in all of sports.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: thspfc on January 17, 2022, 08:21:39 AM
I like the 7 team per conference playoffs from a regular season standpoint, because it makes the competition for playoff spots more interesting. But 7 seeds are now 0-4 vs. 2 seeds. Compare that to 6 seeds being 3-1 against 3 seeds, and 5 seeds being 2-1 against 4 seeds pending tonight's result.

Not to mention that of the 4 7 vs. 2 games so far, only 1 of them was really competitive (Colts @ Bills last year) - The other 3 clearly showed the talent gap between the 7 & the 2.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

Henry

Quote from: KCRoadFan on January 16, 2022, 11:56:12 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 16, 2022, 11:45:03 PM
Quote from: KCRoadFan on January 16, 2022, 11:43:28 PM
Quote from: jgb191 on January 16, 2022, 11:38:50 PM
Thank You Niners for restoring peace to my home state of Texas!  Let's see that's 26 years down, 83 more years to go before the Cowboys break the Cubs' record for the longest drought in all of sports.

That is, if the Vikings or the Lions haven't won it all before then...

Even longer streaks if you want to go with the Browns and Cardinals.

Or, because you mentioned the Cubs, we can do baseball too - there's also the Cleveland Indians (ahem, Guardians).
And in basketball, we have the Sacramento Kings (nee Rochester Royals).

Guess I'll be counting on the 49ers to knock out Aaron Rodgers on the frozen tundra in the divisional round. Next to the Packers losing in the postseason, I'm also happy when the Cowboys get eliminated.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

webny99

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on January 17, 2022, 10:18:26 AM
The other 28 fan bases will enjoy this one...

https://twitter.com/NFL_Memes/status/1482940026128408579
I'd swap in the Browns for the Steelers, but other than that, yes.

thspfc

Quote from: thspfc on January 10, 2022, 04:24:50 PM
Only change to the Super Bowl list this week is swapping the Cowboys and Cardinals, putting the Cowboys at 5 and Cardinals at 6.
No more Cowboys. The loser of the game tonight will obviously be off the list as well, the winner will stay on it. So here's the pre-divisonal update:

1. Chiefs
2. Buccaneers
3. Packers
4. Rams/Cardinals

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on January 16, 2022, 09:42:21 PM
Dallas' #1 problem this year was not McCarthy, it was not Zeke, and it most certainly was not Dak. It was the lack of depth on defense.

I... disagree. The defense allowed 23 points. If you had told me that before the game, I would have said the Cowboys win 9 times out of 10. For the offense to only score one touchdown through three quarters with all that star power is just inexcusable. That's on coaching, quarterback, o-line, lack of success in the run game... all of the above.

Even with all that said, they still had a chance at the end, and just blew it in spectacular fashion. That might have been the most bizarre, disorganized ending to any game in NFL history.

I am confident in this team, and I think they WILL end the drought and make it to the NFC title game in either 2022 or 2023. They probably won't make the Super Bowl though.

Sorry, I can't help myself...

https://twitter.com/NFL_Memes/status/1482926177920733184

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: webny99 on January 17, 2022, 10:18:26 AM
The other 28 fan bases will enjoy this one...

https://twitter.com/NFL_Memes/status/1482940026128408579

Probably a result of where I live, but I'd replace Philly on that list with Green Bay, but I agree 100% on the rest. Steelers/Cowboys/Patriots all very obnoxious, Patriots slightly less so since Brady left.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

JayhawkCO

Raiders fans are in the conversation too.

webny99

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 17, 2022, 11:37:49 AM

Technically, because they lost, but I wouldn't put them that high on the list of obnoxious fan bases.

Being obnoxious seems to correlate with success on the field ... but with just two playoff appearances in the last 20 years, the Raiders are about as far removed from from the spotlight as any team in the league.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on January 17, 2022, 11:46:20 AM

Technically, because they lost, but I wouldn't put them that high on the list of obnoxious fan bases.

Being obnoxious seems to correlate with success on the field ... but with just two playoff appearances in the last 20 years, the Raiders are about as far removed from from the spotlight as any team in the league.

You haven't lived in an AFC West town.  You'd change your mind on that somewhat.

NWI_Irish96

I think obnoxiousness also correlates with having large numbers of fans outside your home area. In Indiana there have always been lots of Packers, Steelers and Cowboys fans. Patriots and Bucs fans really only came about due to Tom Brady. I can't remember the last time I encountered a Raiders fan.

I once played poker with a guy who was a fan of the Yankees, Cowboys, Lakers, and U of Kentucky basketball. As you might expect, he was someone you constantly wanted to punch right in the face. He's the only guy ever to get banned from my (now defunct) home game, and that game included multiple people who have done time.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on January 17, 2022, 10:44:46 AM
Dallas' #1 problem this year was not McCarthy, it was not Zeke, and it most certainly was not Dak. It was the lack of depth on defense.

I... disagree. The defense allowed 23 points. If you had told me that before the game, I would have said the Cowboys win 9 times out of 10. For the offense to only score one touchdown through three quarters with all that star power is just inexcusable. That's on coaching, quarterback, o-line, lack of success in the run game... all of the above.

Even with all that said, they still had a chance at the end, and just blew it in spectacular fashion. That might have been the most bizarre, disorganized ending to any game in NFL history.

I am confident in this team, and I think they WILL end the drought and make it to the NFC title game in either 2022 or 2023. They probably won't make the Super Bowl though.

https://twitter.com/NFL_Memes/status/1482926177920733184
Does this not apply to like 30 fanbases in the league? With the other two being the teams who are actually in "their year"?

webny99

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 17, 2022, 12:05:51 PM

You haven't lived in an AFC West town.  You'd change your mind on that somewhat.

Of course any fan of an AFC West team is going to say their divisional opponents fans are the worst. Same with any other division. That's just a given. Nationally I think most people, including myself, would rank the Chiefs light years ahead of the Raiders.

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 17, 2022, 12:55:44 PM
I think obnoxiousness also correlates with having large numbers of fans outside your home area. In Indiana there have always been lots of Packers, Steelers and Cowboys fans. Patriots and Bucs fans really only came about due to Tom Brady. I can't remember the last time I encountered a Raiders fan.

Yeah, that is definitely another factor. I think the Raiders have a fairly widespread fanbase too, but mostly in the western half of the country.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on January 17, 2022, 01:13:35 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 17, 2022, 10:44:46 AM

[NFL Memes tweet]

Does this not apply to like 30 fanbases in the league? With the other two being the teams who are actually in "their year"?

I can't think of another team where it happens so consistently and predictably. Partly because the Cowboys are the best team in a mediocre division, so they can drop a few 50 burgers per season and are never bad enough for anyone to jump ship... but never good enough to put it all together on a deep playoff run.

jgb191

Absolutely relished seeing all the depressed faces on the stands inside Jerry's World; many of those faces probably are not even from Texas but still traveled long distances to see their Cowboys get knocked out in due time.

I also wonder if there are any Cowboys fans left that still think Dak is worth the money he demanded.  Here in our local areas, a lot of people have been skeptical about Dak living up to his demands and today, they don't think he's worth that. 
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

thspfc

Quote from: jgb191 on January 17, 2022, 03:09:22 PM
Absolutely relished seeing all the depressed faces on the stands inside Jerry's World; many of those faces probably are not even from Texas but still traveled long distances to see their Cowboys get knocked out in due time.

I also wonder if there are any Cowboys fans left that still think Dak is worth the money he demanded.  Here in our local areas, a lot of people have been skeptical about Dak living up to his demands and today, they don't think he's worth that.
The choices were sign Dak for that amount of money, franchise tag him for almost as much, or get rid of him. Without Dak, this team would not have made the playoffs. Sometimes the perfect option does not exist. Dak is overpaid, I've been saying that from the moment I heard about that contract. I also fully supported signing him, and still believe it was the right decision, because securing good quarterback play was the only way for this team to be good, and if it meant overpaying then they'd have to overpay. If you're constantly in search of the next Mahomes through the draft, all your good players are going to leave, no free agents will want to sign with you, and you'll be bad for years unless you catch lightning in a bottle.

If Dak is not a franchise QB, then by that same logic, there have been only four or five franchise QBs drafted since 2013: Herbert, Burrow, Murray, Allen, and Mahomes. And I don't know if Kyler is that much better than Dak; you're going to use the inverse Wentz theory for Dak, then you have to apply that to Kyler as well.

jgb191

^  I totally get your point and you're correct that a franchise player is almost a necessity for scaling the heights to the summitt (so to speak). 

My thing is Dak made it public by not only rejecting the initial contract offer which was already massive to begin with, but demanded higher contract -- that's where he began to lose his complete support I've noticed among the Cowboys fans.  Now having been knocked out yesterday, that support is teetering.  He could have simply accepted the initial offer and in my opinion the pressure would have been a lot lighter off his shoulder and maybe yesterday's outcome might have been different. 

Also my opinion:  face of the franchise doesn't always have to be QBs.  As a Texans lover since their franchise opener, JJ Watt to me was the face of my team for years and I would say greatest player in Texans history followed by Andre Johnson.  When I think of the Chicago Bears, Brian Urlacher immediately comes to mind still to this day.  In Tennessee, Derrick Henry is the face of the Titans franchise now.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on January 17, 2022, 01:16:03 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 17, 2022, 12:05:51 PM

Of course any fan of an AFC West team is going to say their divisional opponents fans are the worst. Same with any other division. That's just a given. Nationally I think most people, including myself, would rank the Chiefs light years ahead of the Raiders.

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 17, 2022, 12:55:44 PM

Yeah, that is definitely another factor. I think the Raiders have a fairly widespread fanbase too, but mostly in the western half of the country.

I'm a Vikings fan if you remember correctly, so me calling Raiders fans obnoxious is not related to being the rival of my team.  Whenever you go a game where they're playing, there's a non-zero chance you're going to see a brawl outside the stadium.

And re: the widespread fanbase, that's for sure a factor, and as you alluded to, most of their fans are west of the Appalachians.  Hence why you might not think they're that annoying based on where you live.  For me, having not really lived out east, I don't have the same notion about Eagles fans as you do.

webny99

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 17, 2022, 04:54:12 PMFor me, having not really lived out east, I don't have the same notion about Eagles fans as you do.

Actually, the Eagles would be the first team I'd take off the graphic if I had to pick. From what I know they're a really passionate fanbase, but not so much obnoxious as one that embraces more of an underdog role (they won the Super Bowl with Nick Foles, after all).

Ted$8roadFan

The Cowboys are the closest team to New York Yankees in the NFL. Big money, big attitude, big egos, big signings, year after year.....and little to show for it since the 1990s.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: webny99 on January 17, 2022, 05:07:47 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 17, 2022, 04:54:12 PMFor me, having not really lived out east, I don't have the same notion about Eagles fans as you do.

Actually, the Eagles would be the first team I'd take off the graphic if I had to pick. From what I know they're a really passionate fanbase, but not so much obnoxious as one that embraces more of an underdog role (they won the Super Bowl with Nick Foles, after all).

Agreed...with the unfortunate luck of the very few stupid fans getting caught whatever stupid thing they were doing.

One thing that can be said for their fans...they travel well. Especially true for Phillies fans, where an abnormal number of fans can be found at visiting team's ballparks.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 17, 2022, 06:10:19 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 17, 2022, 05:07:47 PM

Agreed...with the unfortunate luck of the very few stupid fans getting caught whatever stupid thing they were doing.

One thing that can be said for their fans...they travel well. Especially true for Phillies fans, where an abnormal number of fans can be found at visiting team's ballparks.

Cardinals fans I generally have seen the most. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.