News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on May 12, 2022, 09:50:43 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on May 12, 2022, 07:22:29 AM
Full 2022 schedule is released tonight. The Bears have an annual contest where you try to guess the full 18 game schedule, including bye week (opponents and locations are already known). The entry that gets the most right (or one randomly drawn entry from those tied with the most right) wins a pair of tickets to every 2022 game, home and away, with airfare, hotel, and $500 cash for each away game.

Doesn't sound like a prize to me.  It sounds like torture seeing how you will be watching the Bears. 

At the very least, it's free weekend trips to Atlanta, Dallas, Detroit, Green Bay, Minneapolis, New England, and New York x2
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

thspfc

Ah yes, my favorite day of the offseason. I'm tuning out all sources of information until the entire schedule is released this evening.

wanderer2575

Detroit Free Press columnist Carlos Monarrez let loose on the Detroit Lions today.

QuoteNow that the 2022 NFL schedule has been released, the league's other teams know exactly on which days they will lose to the Detroit Lions, who have promised us they're planning to win the Super Bowl this season.

I'll pause here while you facepalm yourself so hard that NFL rules require you to enter concussion protocol.

OK, all good?  Great.  Where was I?  Oh, yes, the Lions ... are going to win ... the Super Bowl.  My computer's auto-correct program required me to type that three times before it allowed me to override the assumed error.

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2022/05/13/detroit-lions-2022-picks-predictions/9753815002/

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 12, 2022, 10:10:37 AM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on May 12, 2022, 09:50:43 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on May 12, 2022, 07:22:29 AM
Full 2022 schedule is released tonight. The Bears have an annual contest where you try to guess the full 18 game schedule, including bye week (opponents and locations are already known). The entry that gets the most right (or one randomly drawn entry from those tied with the most right) wins a pair of tickets to every 2022 game, home and away, with airfare, hotel, and $500 cash for each away game.

Doesn't sound like a prize to me.  It sounds like torture seeing how you will be watching the Bears. 

At the very least, it's free weekend trips to Atlanta, Dallas, Detroit, Green Bay, Minneapolis, New England, and New York x2

Alas, I only got one right out of 18. I correctly guessed the week of the game at Dallas. There are 6.4 quadrillion unique ways to arrange 18 items. Of course, restrictions such as byes only being certain weeks, playing division opponents in week 18, and never playing more than 3 in a row at home or away, make the number of realistic arrangements much less.

JayhawkCO

My Vikings' schedule is weird. We play all of our division rivals at home within the first five weeks and play all of them on the road the last five weeks.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 13, 2022, 04:21:08 PM
My Vikings' schedule is weird. We play all of our division rivals at home within the first five weeks and play all of them on the road the last five weeks.

Bears play 4 home games in December/January. NFL trying to get fans on board with the new indoor stadium.

thspfc

So I've had time to look at the entire schedule, and I love it. The group of reigning division winners that play each other a lot (Cowboys, Packers, Bucs, Rams, Bills, Bengals, Titans, Chiefs) are giving us great matchups just about every week.

Kansas City has literally the most difficult football schedule of all time, at least as of now. Of course at least one of the 27 good teams in the AFC will disappoint.

Can't wait for Bucs/Cowboys in week 1, Rodgers/Brady V in week 3, Mahomes/Brady VI in week 4, Bills/Chiefs rematch in week 7, Rams/Bucs rematch in week 9, Cowboys visit to Lambeau in week 10, Chiefs/Rams rematch in week 12, Chiefs/Bengals rematch in week 13, others.

Dallas has quite a similar schedule to last year: tough first two games, then an easier stretch, then a more difficult stretch, then an easier stretch to close out the season. If they can split the first two I see them 6-2 at midseason, 10-4 at Christmastime. After that it gets difficult to predict, when some teams have their season on the line, some have clinched a playoff spot, some have fired their coaches and unraveled, etc. The ways the season could go south for the Cowboys are if a) Dak gets hurt or b) they start 2-4 or something, the media piles on, tempers flare, McCarthy loses the locker room.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: thspfc on May 13, 2022, 06:08:44 PM
some have fired their coaches and unraveled

Don't forget firing their coach and getting better because freedom!

mgk920

The Packers have three warm weather/dome teams at home in mid-December and later. (The Vikings on New Years Day!).  Should be fun!

Mike

thspfc

Quote from: mgk920 on May 14, 2022, 10:34:05 AM

The Packers have three warm weather/dome teams at home in mid-December and later. (The Vikings on New Years Day!).  Should be fun!

Mike
Sorry to ruin your fun but that doesn't matter at all.

thspfc

Two pieces of good news for Lions fans: 1) they've been crowned the undisputed champions of the draft after intense analysis of the 0 combined NFL snaps their draftees have played, and 2) they play the Packers the first Sunday of November. Green Bay has been shockingly bad that weekend (typically week 9). Haven't won since 2012, which for a franchise that has only missed the playoffs twice in that span, is pretty shocking.

CoreySamson

Might as well make my NFL predictions now (and I went through the games individually so the win-loss counts should be at least feasible):

AFC East:
Bills 13-4
Dolphins 9-7-1
Patriots 9-8
Jets 5-12

AFC North:
Bengals 12-5
Ravens 11-6
Browns 10-7
Steelers 8-9

AFC South:
Colts 11-6
Titans 9-8
Texans 6-11
Jaguars 2-15

AFC West:
Broncos 11-6
Chargers 11-6
Chiefs 10-7
Raiders 7-10

AFC Playoffs:
Bills (1)
Bengals (2)
Broncos (3)
Colts (4)
Ravens (5)
Chargers (6)
Chiefs (7)

Wild Card Round:
Bengals over Chiefs
Broncos over Chargers
Ravens over Colts

Divisional Round:
Ravens over Bills
Bengals over Broncos

AFC Championship:
Ravens over Bengals

NFC East:
Eagles 11-6
Cowboys 10-7
Commanders 7-10
Giants 2-15

NFC North:
Vikings 10-7
Packers 10-7
Lions 7-10
Bears 3-13-1

NFC South:
Buccaneers 13-4
Saints 9-8
Falcons 5-12
Panthers 3-14

NFC West:
Rams 13-4
Cardinals 10-7
Seahawks 8-9
49ers 6-11

NFC Playoffs:
Rams (1)
Buccaneers (2)
Eagles (3)
Vikings (4)
Cardinals (5)
Cowboys (6)
Packers (7)

Wild Card Round:
Buccaneers over Packers
Cowboys over Eagles
Cardinals over Vikings

Divisional Round:
Rams over Cowboys
Buccaneers over Cardinals

NFC Championship:
Rams over Buccaneers

Super Bowl:
Ravens over Rams

Hot Takes:
- I'm predicting that the Chiefs and Titans both catch the injury bug this year (similar to how the Ravens and Saints were last year)
- Giants get 2023 first pick. Their team just has nothing good about it.
- I'm predicting that the Lions and Texans have positive seasons compared to the last couple years for them.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Alps

Quote from: thspfc on May 14, 2022, 09:00:47 PM
Two pieces of good news for Lions fans: 1) they've been crowned the undisputed champions of the draft after intense analysis of the 0 combined NFL snaps their draftees have played, and 2) they play the Packers the first Sunday of November. Green Bay has been shockingly bad that weekend (typically week 9). Haven't won since 2012, which for a franchise that has only missed the playoffs twice in that span, is pretty shocking.
Disagree with 1) - the Jets are named winners by many sources

jgb191

Deshaun Watson's new team the Browns will visit my Texans this fall....whether Deshaun actually plays (or serves his suspension) in NRG Stadium remains to be seen.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

skluth

Quote from: Alps on May 14, 2022, 11:32:48 PM
Disagree with 1) - the Jets are named winners by many sources
I hadn't heard any pundit say anybody but the Jets. Some of that is the NY bias, especially on ESPN. But when you get four probable starters because you have four picks in the top 36 including 2 in the top 10 it's not hard to "win" the draft.

Just be grateful Matt Millen is no longer doing the Lions drafts. Millen was so bad even Packers fans like me were feeling sorry for Lions fans.

gr8daynegb

Packers:
2013- Loss, Rodgers Hurt vs Bears
2014- Won on 11/9 vs Bears, had bye week the week 11/2 Sunday
2015- Loss vs Peyton Manning's Broncos
2016- Loss vs Andrew Luck Colts
2017- Loss vs Lions, Brett Hundley playing for injured Rodgers
2018- Loss at Patriots
2019- Loss at Chargers
2020- Loss vs Vikings
2021- Loss at Chiefs, Love playing for Rodgers(Covid)

Well three of the first Sundays in November Rodgers was out.....if Matt Flynn wasn't starting those weeks Packers lost.  2014 they had a bye week on the first November weekend.  Good luck vs Brady, Mahomes, and Manning any year of their careers.  Say what you want about the Charger and Vikings losses as those teams were below .500 for the year(but in division games in the NFC North are hard regardless of teams records).
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

webny99

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 06, 2022, 12:58:39 PM
Quote from: thspfc on May 04, 2022, 03:00:25 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on May 04, 2022, 11:03:17 AM
Quote from: webny99 on May 02, 2022, 03:41:47 PM

Texans

:-D.  Sure you didn't mean to have several spaces between Panthers and Texans?
Texans are much better than Carolina IMO. Carolina's QB situation is so bad that it drags a merely below-average rest of their roster to the bottom of the league.

I'm agreeing with this. Houston didn't play THAT bad at the end of last year. Carolina stunk up the place.

To clarify a bit more as to my thoughts on this ... I think the Texans have a better QB situation than the Panthers right now, while the Panthers have a better roster. However, I strongly believe the Panthers will do something at QB before the start of the season, which is why I still have them narrowly ahead of the Texans.

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 06, 2022, 08:47:57 AM
I'm under no illusions that the Bears will be good this year, but the Lions are perpetually the lowest ranked team in the division until they prove they can finish higher.

I don't know, I'd actually be pretty surprised if the Lions don't finish with a better record than the Bears this season. They've got a competent QB and they definitely improved this offseason, while the Bears have an unproven QB and definitely got worse this offseason.

I kind of think the Bears are going to take the same "be competitive while rebuilding" approach that the Lions have been taking, but the Bears are a year behind and it's likely to get worse before it gets better. I honestly feel bad for Justin Fields because they basically wasted a year with the old coach/GM and now with the clear rebuild, he's not going to have much of a chance to succeed on his rookie contract.

webny99

Quote from: CoreySamson on May 14, 2022, 09:55:43 PM
Might as well make my NFL predictions now (and I went through the games individually so the win-loss counts should be at least feasible):

All fairly reasonable, but I think you're too low on the 49ers, Giants, Jaguars, and Raiders.
49ers better hope they're better than 6-11 even if Lance starts and struggles. That would be a disaster given their roster and how close they obviously think they are given the Lance trade. And I think very differently about the Giants - I could totally see 7-10 or 8-9. And there's just no way the Jaguars are that bad again.

Quote from: CoreySamson on May 14, 2022, 09:55:43 PM
Hot Takes:
- I'm predicting that the Chiefs and Titans both catch the injury bug this year (similar to how the Ravens and Saints were last year)

If that's the case, shouldn't it be the Chiefs at 7-10 instead of the Raiders? The Chiefs schedule is so brutal, I don't usually read into the schedule too much but there's literally maybe two or three likely wins and every other game is against a Super Bowl contender. 6 division games, Bills, Bengals, Colts, Titans, Bucs, the entire NFC West...? I could see 7-10 even without significant injuries.

Similarly I'm kind of down on the Titans after the AJ Brown trade so I think 9-8 is pretty optimistic if they have a ton of injuries (keeping in mind how historic the Ravens and Saints were last year - the Titans were also fairly injured last year).

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on May 20, 2022, 12:15:08 AM
If that's the case, shouldn't it be the Chiefs at 7-10 instead of the Raiders? The Chiefs schedule is so brutal, I don't usually read into the schedule too much but there's literally maybe two or three likely wins and every other game is against a Super Bowl contender. 6 division games, Bills, Bengals, Colts, Titans, Bucs, the entire NFC West...? I could see 7-10 even without significant injuries.
You would consider the Raiders, Cardinals, Titans, and Colts to be Super Bowl contenders?

I wouldn't say the Niners are contenders either but they at least were a game away last year.

The obvious wins for the Chiefs are the Jags, Texans, and Seahawks. Of the 14 remaining games I think they'll roughly split them - no way they do worse than .500. During the offseason a lot of fans have a tendency to remember like 2 things about a team and base their entire predictions on those two things. For the Chiefs it's the second half of the AFC championship and losing Tyreek. No thought is given to the rest of last season or the players they still have. And they've been excellent against divisional opponents for several years running.

I have the Raiders at the bottom of the AFCW. Somebody is going to have to lose the division games, and the Raiders are just the weakest roster IMO, especially defensively.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on May 20, 2022, 08:11:16 AM
You would consider the Raiders, Cardinals, Titans, and Colts to be Super Bowl contenders?
I wouldn't say the Niners are contenders either but they at least were a game away last year.

They might not be in the very top tier of Super Bowl contenders, but I think all of them expect to make the playoffs and would consider the season extremely disappointing if they don't.

The obvious wins for the Chiefs are the Jags, Texans, and Seahawks. Of the 14 remaining games I think they'll roughly split them - no way they do worse than .500.

That's a very fine line. If they win those three and split the rest, that's 10-7. That's probably enough for a playoff spot, but maybe not - and likely not enough to win the division. And if they slip up somewhere and go 9-8, that's almost certainly out of the playoffs.

During the offseason a lot of fans have a tendency to remember like 2 things about a team and base their entire predictions on those two things. For the Chiefs it's the second half of the AFC championship and losing Tyreek. No thought is given to the rest of last season or the players they still have.
The rest of last season - you mean like when they scored 3 points against the Titans, got blown out by the Bills, struggled mightily against the Joe Judge Giants and Rodgers-less Packers, lost to the Bengals, and needed a defensive score to beat Drew Lock?

And they've been excellent against divisional opponents for several years running.

Undoubtedly true, but other than the Brady-era Patriots it's unprecedented to maintain that year after year. They were extremely closely matched with the Chargers in both games last year, and the other two teams added a top-10 QB and WR respectively plus got better on defense.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on May 20, 2022, 09:25:31 AM

They might not be in the very top tier of Super Bowl contenders, but I think all of them expect to make the playoffs and would consider the season extremely disappointing if they don't.

The obvious wins for the Chiefs are the Jags, Texans, and Seahawks. Of the 14 remaining games I think they'll roughly split them - no way they do worse than .500.

That's a very fine line. If they win those three and split the rest, that's 10-7. That's probably enough for a playoff spot, but maybe not - and likely not enough to win the division. And if they slip up somewhere and go 9-8, that's almost certainly out of the playoffs.

During the offseason a lot of fans have a tendency to remember like 2 things about a team and base their entire predictions on those two things. For the Chiefs it's the second half of the AFC championship and losing Tyreek. No thought is given to the rest of last season or the players they still have.
The rest of last season - you mean like when they scored 3 points against the Titans, got blown out by the Bills, struggled mightily against the Joe Judge Giants and Rodgers-less Packers, lost to the Bengals, and needed a defensive score to beat Drew Lock?

And they've been excellent against divisional opponents for several years running.

Undoubtedly true, but other than the Brady-era Patriots it's unprecedented to maintain that year after year. They were extremely closely matched with the Chargers in both games last year, and the other two teams added a top-10 QB and WR respectively plus got better on defense.
You can't just pick their 5 worst games lol. You understand how that doesn't encompass their season right?

Eh, you're a Bills fan. Of course you're salty when it comes to the Chiefs, so what do I think I'm going to accomplish?

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on May 20, 2022, 10:12:24 AM
You can't just pick their 5 worst games lol. You understand how that doesn't encompass their season right?

Eh, you're a Bills fan. Of course you're salty when it comes to the Chiefs, so what do I think I'm going to accomplish?

Those games were actually spread out throughout the season. (But yeah, I was half-expecting to hear about the Bills' wind game loss and loss to the Jags etc.. so if you're going to spare me that, I'll take it.  :D)

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on May 20, 2022, 10:24:52 AM

Those games were actually spread out throughout the season. (But yeah, I was half-expecting to hear about the Bills' wind game loss and loss to the Jags etc.. so if you're going to spare me that, I'll take it.  :D)
You still can't just pick their 5 worst games

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on May 20, 2022, 10:58:25 AM
Quote from: webny99 on May 20, 2022, 10:24:52 AM

You still can't just pick their 5 worst games

To be fair, I was responding to cherry picking with more cherry picking... but mine was much more encompassing of their season than just "they blew the AFC title game and lost Tyreek". The point being, the Chiefs (and really every other team too...) were far from perfect in 2021-22 even considering much more than just the ~two main headlines.

thspfc

Haskins had a BAC of .24, three times the legal limit, at the time of the crash . . . color me shocked. Good thing he didn't kill anyone else.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.