News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on May 23, 2022, 03:52:16 PM
Haskins had a BAC of .24, three times the legal limit, at the time of the crash . . . color me shocked. Good thing he didn't kill anyone else.

Kill anyone else? Did he kill someone? Yeah, he was likely driving before he got out of the car, but he got hit while walking.

thspfc

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 23, 2022, 06:53:37 PM
Haskins had a BAC of .24, three times the legal limit, at the time of the crash . . . color me shocked. Good thing he didn't kill anyone else.

Kill anyone else? Did he kill someone? Yeah, he was likely driving before he got out of the car, but he got hit while walking.
He killed himself, pretty much? Walking across a south Florida Interstate (or any Interstate for that matter) is unlikely to end well . . .

He was driving drunk, by 3x the legal limit.

Had he not run out of gas he very well could have killed someone else.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on May 23, 2022, 08:06:59 PM

He killed himself, pretty much? Walking across a south Florida Interstate (or any Interstate for that matter) is unlikely to end well . . .

While what he did was stupid, I don't think he was trying to kill himself; he was just wasted. By saying 'else', you infer that he killed someone which he did not. Call him what you want, but he's not a murderer/killer.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 24, 2022, 08:19:38 AM

While what he did was stupid, I don't think he was trying to kill himself; he was just wasted. By saying 'else', you infer that he killed someone which he did not. Call him what you want, but he's not a murderer/killer.

I really dislike the practice of classifying the severity of driving drunk by whether or not someone else was badly injured or died. Once you choose to drive drunk, it's largely a matter of luck whether or not you hit another person or car. Obviously not applicable in this specific case, but I think every drunk driver should be punished as harshly as those who kill someone while doing it.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

thspfc

I suppose. I guess what I'm getting at is he has no one to blame but himself.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on May 24, 2022, 08:51:56 AM

I don't disagree with this at all.

DenverBrian

Not just "wasted." He also had ketamine in his system. He was a drugged-up mess. It's pretty lucky no one else was injured or killed as a result of him driving a car on the road that night. Tragic, in the classic sense of the word, that he ended up being the only fatality.

webny99

Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 24, 2022, 09:46:09 AM

But even if it was avoidable (which it obviously was), I don't appreciate the undertone. I think it's distasteful and unhelpful to play the "blame game" with anyone that has just died, regardless of the circumstances. Imagine saying to Haskins' family, "well, too bad, but it was his own fault!"

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on May 25, 2022, 10:42:03 AM

But even if it was avoidable (which it obviously was), I don't appreciate the undertone. I think it's distasteful and unhelpful to play the "blame game" with anyone that has just died, regardless of the circumstances. Imagine saying to Haskins' family, "well, too bad, but it was his own fault!"

I, also, don't disagree with this at all. That's why I objected to the insinuation that he was a killer. The maniac that killed 10-year-olds yesterday? Yeah, he can rot in the worst kind of hell, but just being drunk, high, and getting hit by a truck doesn't make us need to vilify him.

thspfc

Good thing I'm not talking to Haskins' family then.

If we don't talk about the poor decisions that were made leading up to tragedies, we will never properly learn from them. If I die because of an idiotic decision I would at least want people to learn from it.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on May 25, 2022, 12:26:14 PM

If we don't talk about the poor decisions that were made leading up to tragedies, we will never properly learn from them. If I die because of an idiotic decision I would at least want people to learn from it.

I don't take issue with talking about the poor decisions, it's more the framing of a tragedy (particularly one in which no weapons were involved, with no apparent malicious intent) being someone's own fault. Of course he should not have been driving or walking on a highway while drunk and on drugs, but the reasons for what happened are always much more complicated than that. The way to learn from it is to understand that drugs, alcohol, and especially addiction can be dangerous and try to help anyone that struggles with it, and not just assume that anyone that does is a bad person.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on May 25, 2022, 06:38:17 PM

I don't take issue with talking about the poor decisions, it's more the framing of a tragedy (particularly one in which no weapons were involved, with no apparent malicious intent) being someone's own fault. Of course he should not have been driving or walking on a highway while drunk and on drugs, but the reasons for what happened are always much more complicated than that. The way to learn from it is to understand that drugs, alcohol, and especially addiction can be dangerous and try to help anyone that struggles with it, and not just assume that anyone that does is a bad person.
I never said he was a bad person. I didn't know him, I'm not the one to make those judgements.

Much more complicated? As in like, why did he drive drunk on a freeway? Your guess is as good as mine, but you'd be very hard pressed to find a good reason to drive at all with a BAC that high, nevermind on a freeway.

It's not hard to figure out why he attempted to walk for gas: he knew that if he called for help, he would get busted for drunk driving. But had he not driven drunk, he wouldn't have been in that situation in the first place. (there's also the completely free no-questions-asked Uber-like service the NFL has for its players, which could have been used before he got in the car drunk or after he ran out of gas)

Framing means attempting to make someone look responsible for something they weren't responsible for. I don't understand how I'm "framing" this as being Haskins' fault.

It was a tragic accident that could have been avoided in so many simple ways. It's important to recognize those ways so that if any of us are ever in a place where we need to make similar decisions, we make the correct ones. Playing it off as not Haskins' fault does nothing.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on May 25, 2022, 09:47:45 PM
It was a tragic accident that could have been avoided in so many simple ways. It's important to recognize those ways so that if any of us are ever in a place where we need to make similar decisions, we make the correct ones. Playing it off as not Haskins' fault does nothing.

It might be a mental health issue too. Whatever happened before that point, it's unlikely that Haskins was in a right state of mind to be making different decisions or really any decisions at all, and the same would likely apply to anyone else in that situation. I obviously agree he never should have been on the road under the influence of drugs/alcohol, but other than that, we don't have enough information to make any definitive statements. And while I'm not trying to absolve Haskins, I just don't think it's necessary or helpful to try to assign blame - especially since he was on foot when he got hit by a car not vice versa which makes it very different than many other drugs/alcohol related incidents. 

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on May 25, 2022, 10:38:17 PM
Quote from: thspfc on May 25, 2022, 09:47:45 PM

It might be a mental health issue too. Whatever happened before that point, it's unlikely that Haskins was in a right state of mind to be making different decisions or really any decisions at all, and the same would likely apply to anyone else in that situation. I obviously agree he never should have been on the road under the influence of drugs/alcohol, but other than that, we don't have enough information to make any definitive statements. And while I'm not trying to absolve Haskins, I just don't think it's necessary or helpful to try to assign blame - especially since he was on foot when he got hit by a car not vice versa which makes it very different than many other drugs/alcohol related incidents.
This isn't "got hit by a car"  in the traditional sense. Us in the roadgeek community should know better than anyone not to cross a south Florida Interstate on foot.

webny99

Well, usually those two things are on opposite ends of the spectrum - the drunk driver is the offender and the person that got hit by a car is the victim. But in this case, Haskins was both, which is why it doesn't do much good to assign blame for what happened.

DenverBrian

Quote from: webny99 on May 25, 2022, 06:38:17 PM

I don't take issue with talking about the poor decisions, it's more the framing of a tragedy (particularly one in which no weapons were involved, with no apparent malicious intent) being someone's own fault.
The very definition of tragedy is: A drama or literary work in which the main character is brought to ruin or suffers extreme sorrow, especially as a consequence of a tragic flaw, moral weakness, or inability to cope with unfavorable circumstances.

That is exactly what happened in this case. Tragedy occurs specifically because of someone's own fault.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on May 25, 2022, 11:17:42 PM
Well, usually those two things are on opposite ends of the spectrum - the drunk driver is the offender and the person that got hit by a car is the victim. But in this case, Haskins was both, which is why it doesn't do much good to assign blame for what happened.
You really trying to say that the person driving a dump truck on a freeway who was found in investigations to have done nothing wrong, is at fault for hitting a guy trying cross the freeway on foot?

If a guy jumps out in front of the dump truck you're driving at 60 MPH, your options are to brake, which you don't have enough time to fully do (keep in mind this was in relatively low light early in the morning), or swerve and risk injuring yourself and/or another innocent driver. The driver likely had no time to react. Who knows, maybe he did purposefully blow straight through, but I find that extremely unlikely as the death has already been officially ruled an accident and the driver isn't even going to face a trial.

webny99

Random offseason question: How many teams should/should not expect to contend for a playoff spot this season?

In the AFC, I think basically the entire conference views themselves as a playoff contender. The four biggest exceptions IMO:
-Steelers. I know they're always in the mix but I think this could be the year they aren't. Trubisky isn't going to be great and even if Pickett is OK, they're not going to get as lucky as they did last year. Big Ben was not good last year, but he made key plays to win a bunch of close games and that was largely attributable to his years of experience. You can't expect the same from Trubisky or a rookie.
-Jets. I think they have the roster and potential upside of a playoff team, but really the only thing that matters is Wilson's development. If his play improves significantly, 8-9 wins is still a success.
-Jaguars. Likely not a playoff team, but could certainly win 7-8 games. I'm not buying the Titans, and the Jaguars seem to have the Colts' number lately, so it wouldn't be shocking to find them in the mix for the division in December.
-Texans. Not too much explanation needed here. They're considerably worse roster-wise than all of the other teams in their division and would be the only truly shocking playoff team in the entire AFC.

In the NFC, it gets more interesting as to whether certain teams are contending or rebuilding.

I think the entire NFC West expects to have a shot at the playoffs. The Seahawks could definitely make it with competent QB play - which is obviously a giant question mark. Cardinals are obviously expecting to contend but I could see them finishing with a losing record.

Vikings are a definite yes to contend for a playoff spot. Lions are also yes IMO - I could see 8-9 wins with competent play from Goff given the improved roster. And I think the entire NFC East is a yes - Commanders and especially Giants might be a stretch, but it wouldn't be crazy if either of them made the wild card. And the NFC South, Saints are obviously expecting to make the playoffs, Panthers are not in the playoff mix with their current QB situation but the roster isn't terrible, so yes if they get Baker Mayfield or Jimmy G.

That leaves the Falcons and Bears as the only true non-contending teams in the NFC, plus the Texans in the AFC. So 29 of 32 teams could make the playoffs and it wouldn't be totally shocking - that seems like more than any other year I can remember.

thspfc

Agree except for the Lions. They're still devoid of talent. We don't know yet if they drafted well or not. We don't know if their quarterback is capable, we don't know if their coach is capable. I'd say 5-6 wins at most.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on June 07, 2022, 02:29:38 PM
Agree except for the Lions. They're still devoid of talent. We don't know yet if they drafted well or not. We don't know if their quarterback is capable, we don't know if their coach is capable. I'd say 5-6 wins at most.

I think you absolutely know what you're getting from Jared Goff, and that's probably half the reason they traded for him: so they could have competence at QB and be somewhat competitive while rebuilding.

Yes, the coach(es) and draft class(es) are unproven, but in the small sample we have, they were pretty unlucky to have only 3 wins last year. It could have easily been more given how many close games they were in.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: webny99 on June 07, 2022, 03:51:01 PM
Quote from: thspfc on June 07, 2022, 02:29:38 PM

I think you absolutely know what you're getting from Jared Goff, and that's probably half the reason they traded for him: so they could have competence at QB and be somewhat competitive while rebuilding.

Yes, the coach(es) and draft class(es) are unproven, but in the small sample we have, they were pretty unlucky to have only 3 wins last year. It could have easily been more given how many close games they were in.

I think your coach is a nutjob.  He seems to say a bunch of things loudly to help mask the fact he is in over his head.  I really hope I am wrong; I am not someone who takes pleasure in the Lions being bad because it has gone on for so long now.  It's more like an old hat or something you can count on.  If the Lions became good, it would throw the world off kilter. 

Alps

I'mma say the Jets themselves expect to CONTEND - not to actually get a spot but to at least still be in the mix for most of the season, within a game or two of .500 for the most part. I think a lot of prognosticators are undervaluing them, and it really depends on both Wilson and the newest set of draft picks, how quickly they acclimate and grow together. They could finish 9-8 and back into spot #7, they could finish 5-12 and disappoint.

The Ghostbuster

Tom Brady is going to be without one of his favorite targets this upcoming season, as Rob Gronkowski has decided to call it a career for the second time: https://www.nfl.com/news/four-time-super-bowl-champion-rob-gronkowski-announces-retirement-after-11-seaso. I wonder if this means we will see Gronkowski return to Fox Sports, like he did during his first retirement?

gr8daynegb

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 21, 2022, 06:21:36 PM
Tom Brady is going to be without one of his favorite targets this upcoming season, as Rob Gronkowski has decided to call it a career for the second time: https://www.nfl.com/news/four-time-super-bowl-champion-rob-gronkowski-announces-retirement-after-11-seaso. I wonder if this means we will see Gronkowski return to Fox Sports, like he did during his first retirement?

Or WWE as he seemed to have some interest there too in the past
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

webny99

Thoughts on Baker Mayfield to the Panthers?

I wanted to see Jimmy G to the Panthers and Baker Mayfield to the Seahawks, that just seemed to make the most sense for all teams involved. I think Jimmy G is better than Baker and the Panthers could use someone with as much experience as possible, plus the Darnold/Mayfield thing is kind of awkward.

And from a Seahawks POV, Baker is still a big upgrade over Drew Lock. But there's no way Jimmy G goes to Seattle so he may end up a backup somewhere.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.