News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Lesser Divides (sports edition)

Started by jp the roadgeek, January 20, 2021, 02:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 25, 2021, 07:15:46 PM
That's a cool map, but it pisses me off all these places nowhere near New York where the Yankees come out on top.  Gross.

Quote from: thspfc on January 25, 2021, 11:41:08 PM
Obligatory "says the one who has at least 50 posts on here dedicated to hating the Patriots"

I'm not a sports fan, but here's what I've figured out about the Yankees and the Patriots:  people only hate them because they win.  That is to say, Yankee haters and Patriot haters prefer cheering for bad teams.  This has even been verbally confirmed to me by multiple such haters.

That's fine.  If you like cheering for the underdog and rooting against the always-winning team, I totally understand.  If you wish a certain team didn't have such a huge budget that they can hire all the best players, I get it.  I really do.  But don't hate on people who actually like cheering for teams that play the game well.

* kphoger ducks and runs *
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

keithvh

Quote from: frankenroad on January 20, 2021, 04:02:48 PM
The Reds/Bengals vs Indians/Browns line approximates I-70 in Ohio.   Except, the Columbus Metro Area.   So many of the people who live in Columbus are Ohio State Grads who stayed, who either grew up in Cincinnati or Cleveland, that Columbus is very murky in terms of where the divide lies.

I'd argue the Reds/Indians dividing line is I-70 west to Columbus, then it follows US-23/OH-15 to Findlay.  Findlay is near the "triple point" of Reds/Indians/Tigers fandom.

Dayton & Lima (the latter is well north of I-70, of course) are definitely Reds towns.  Toledo is a Tigers town.  Toledo has been the Tigers AAA affiliate for 33 years running.

I think the Browns/Bengals split is much the same way, except NW Ohio is a Browns town over a Lions town.  The MI/OH border is a pretty hard dividing line when it comes to the NFL. 

Interestingly, Toledo may be more split over college football (which is traditionally a more tribal and provincial sport when it comes to fandom) than pro football.  There are a lot of University of Michigan fans in Toledo, despite it being south of that MI/OH border.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on January 26, 2021, 12:01:20 PM
I'm not a sports fan, but here's what I've figured out about the Yankees and the Patriots:  people only hate them because they win.  That is to say, Yankee haters and Patriot haters prefer cheering for bad teams.  This has even been verbally confirmed to me by multiple such haters.

That's fine.  If you like cheering for the underdog and rooting against the always-winning team, I totally understand.  If you wish a certain team didn't have such a huge budget that they can hire all the best players, I get it.  I really do.  But don't hate on people who actually like cheering for teams that play the game well.

That may be part of it, but in the case of the Patriots, there's many other reasons why people dislike them:

-Division rivalries. Bills, Jets, and Dolphins fans have been tortured by the Patriots for two decades.
-Rivalries with other successful teams, like the Colts and Steelers, who often faced them in the playoffs.
-Cheating and other scandals, notably Deflategate.
-They're tiring. People (even those who don't follow sports that much) are sick of seeing them in the championship over and over, when some variety and new storylines would be more fun.

Henry

It's no surprise that White Sox fans are centered on Chicago and its suburbs, because the Cubs have overshadowed them for many years.

Quote from: frankenroad on January 20, 2021, 04:02:48 PM
The Reds/Bengals vs Indians/Browns line approximates I-70 in Ohio.   Except, the Columbus Metro Area.   So many of the people who live in Columbus are Ohio State Grads who stayed, who either grew up in Cincinnati or Cleveland, that Columbus is very murky in terms of where the divide lies.

The same argument can be said for PA, with Harrisburg in the middle of the state, and I-83/US 15 making up the dividing line. Those who live east of Harrisburg root for the Philadelphia teams (Phillies, Eagles, Flyers), while those to the west root for the Pittsburgh ones (Pirates, Steelers, Penguins). (I didn't list the 76ers because Pittsburgh doesn't have an NBA team of its own.) Harrisburg is a tricky one, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's a mixed bag of Philadelphia and Pittsburgh natives who root for their respective cities' teams, but what do I know?
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

kphoger

people only hate them because they win. 

Quote from: webny99 on January 26, 2021, 12:44:28 PM
-Division rivalries. Bills, Jets, and Dolphins fans have been tortured by the Patriots for two decades.
-Rivalries with other successful teams, like the Colts and Steelers, who often faced them in the playoffs.
-They're tiring. People (even those who don't follow sports that much) are sick of seeing them in the championship over and over, when some variety and new storylines would be more fun.

Yeah, that's exactly what I said.  People hate them because they're good teams.  If they weren't, then they wouldn't be (a) torturing your favorite division team all the time, (b) facing your favorite team in the playoffs, or (c) going to the championship over and over.

When your favorite team is challenging them, of course I don't expect you to cheer for the 'enemy' team.  But, if your favorite team isn't even in the game, then the only reason you don't cheer for them is that they're good and keep beating your team(s).  As I said, I get it.  But, if two teams I don't care about are playing, then why shouldn't I enjoy watching a good team play a good game?  Why shouldn't I cheer when a really good running play is made by really good players, when the defensive line full of good players keeps the offense at bay?  For us non-fans, not every game is 'us versus them'.  For us, it can just be an enjoyable sport to watch and enjoy.

-Cheating and other scandals, notably Deflategate.

Yeah, and you can add domestic violence and other outside-the-sport disgraceful acts by the players to that, too.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Think about March Madness where people typically prefer upsets to boring victories.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

Takumi

Quote from: triplemultiplex on January 25, 2021, 07:15:46 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 21, 2021, 08:38:33 PM
this map

That's a cool map, but it pisses me off all these places nowhere near New York where the Yankees come out on top.  Gross.
Virginia, North Carolina, New Mexico, Nebraska, Utah; what the hell is wrong with those people rooting for the evil empire?
Even Alaska!  Are you kidding me? Those 'rugged individualists' are in with the Yankees?  Boooooooooo!!!!
Virginia and North Carolina do have lots of Yankee fans, but they also have lots of transplants from Yankee territory.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on January 26, 2021, 01:53:03 PM
people only hate them because they win. 

Yeah, that's exactly what I said.  People hate them because they're good teams.  If they weren't, then they wouldn't be (a) torturing your favorite division team all the time, (b) facing your favorite team in the playoffs, or (c) going to the championship over and over.

People don't hate a team just because they're good and win a lot. Rivalries are an integral part of sports, and although they may be amplified by success, they still exist by definition even without success. For example, consider the Bills and Jaguars, two of the worst NFL franchises of the 2000's and 2010's. The two teams and fanbases (being two of the smallest in the NFL) strongly dislike each other.

Here's a brief outline from Wikipedia: "the series has featured a Bills loss to the Jaguars in London, an ugly, low-scoring playoff game in 2017, trash talk from former Jaguars players such as Jalen Ramsey, and a brawl between the teams in Buffalo in 2018." That, to me, is a fun rivalry that has nothing to do with success and is, in fact, marked by a lack of success.

When your favorite team is challenging them, of course I don't expect you to cheer for the 'enemy' team.  But, if your favorite team isn't even in the game, then the only reason you don't cheer for them is that they're good and keep beating your team(s).

Well, because they're a barrier to success no matter who they're playing. Them winning more reduces our chances of making the playoffs, earning a higher seed, and so on. 

But, if two teams I don't care about are playing, then why shouldn't I enjoy watching a good team play a good game?  Why shouldn't I cheer when a really good running play is made by really good players, when the defensive line full of good players keeps the offense at bay?  For us non-fans, not every game is 'us versus them'. For us, it can just be an enjoyable sport to watch and enjoy.

That is completely fine and normal, since from what I can tell, you truly are a non-fan. However, most people that hate the Patriots (or Yankees, or whoever) aren't non-fans. To them, rooting against a rival is just as integral to their fan experience as rooting for their own team.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on January 26, 2021, 02:57:03 PM
However, most people that hate the Patriots (or Yankees, or whoever) aren't non-fans. To them, rooting against a rival is just as integral to their fan experience as rooting for their own team.

Hmm.  Of the ones I know and have personally asked why, they've all said they just don't like the same team winning over and over again.  When we're watching a championship game and neither team is one they generally cheer for, they cheer against the Yankees or Patriots for no other reason than that they prefer cheering for the underdog.

Well, because they're a barrier to success no matter who they're playing. Them winning more reduces our chances of making the playoffs, earning a higher seed, and so on.

Then, by the time the Super Bowl comes around, nobody should have any qualms left about cheering for Tom Brady.  But we all know half the country will cheer against his team just because he's on it.

Rivalries ... still exist by definition even without success. For example, consider the Bills and Jaguars, two of the worst NFL franchises of the 2000's and 2010's. The two teams and fanbases (being two of the smallest in the NFL) strongly dislike each other.

OK, I get that.  I suppose I over-extended my assertion with my last post.

Originally, I never said people hate the Bills or the Jaguars only because those teams are good.  I restricted that observation to the Yankees and the Patriots.  To be sure, I know plenty of people who hate some other team or another because of a different reason.  But not the Yankees of the Patriots.
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

I blame Ted Turner and the former WTBS (Channel 17) from Atlanta for blurring a lot of the traditional boundaries for baseball. This area of Kentucky was solid Reds country until a generation of young viewers started watching Braves games on the "superstation."

That being said, there has always been a hard Reds/Cardinals line in Kentucky, but I'm not exactly sure where it is. Paducah is solidly in Cardinals country; Louisville was Reds territory until the Cards' farm team was based there for awhile. I'm going to posit that the line roughly parallels US 231 or a Bowling Green-Owensboro line.

My dad told me that this part of Kentucky was Browns country until the Bengals began operation.

Somewhere in eastern Ohio there's a Bengals/Browns/Steelers tripoint. I remember driving through a McDonald's in Ontario, Ohio, years ago and being surprised to get a Steelers cup with my drink. I would have expected a Browns cup.

Many would probably be surprised to know that in Jefferson County, there's still a preponderance of UK fans over Louisville fans. I'm not sure if there is a dominant NBA team in Kentucky. The Cincinnati franchise probably was when it existed. I'd say the western part of the state roots for Memphis but it's probably otherwise scattered among teams with former UK players on the roster, depending on which ex-Cat was one's favorite. Lots of people will follow the fortunes of DeMarcus Cousins, John Wall, and Anthony Davis especially, although Immanuel Quickley is probably winning lots of fans for the Knicks this year.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: hbelkins on January 26, 2021, 03:21:09 PM
I blame Ted Turner and the former WTBS (Channel 17) from Atlanta for blurring a lot of the traditional boundaries for baseball. This area of Kentucky was solid Reds country until a generation of young viewers started watching Braves games on the "superstation."

That being said, there has always been a hard Reds/Cardinals line in Kentucky, but I'm not exactly sure where it is. Paducah is solidly in Cardinals country; Louisville was Reds territory until the Cards' farm team was based there for awhile. I'm going to posit that the line roughly parallels US 231 or a Bowling Green-Owensboro line.

My dad told me that this part of Kentucky was Browns country until the Bengals began operation.

Somewhere in eastern Ohio there's a Bengals/Browns/Steelers tripoint. I remember driving through a McDonald's in Ontario, Ohio, years ago and being surprised to get a Steelers cup with my drink. I would have expected a Browns cup.

Many would probably be surprised to know that in Jefferson County, there's still a preponderance of UK fans over Louisville fans. I'm not sure if there is a dominant NBA team in Kentucky. The Cincinnati franchise probably was when it existed. I'd say the western part of the state roots for Memphis but it's probably otherwise scattered among teams with former UK players on the roster, depending on which ex-Cat was one's favorite. Lots of people will follow the fortunes of DeMarcus Cousins, John Wall, and Anthony Davis especially, although Immanuel Quickley is probably winning lots of fans for the Knicks this year.

I spent 11 years living just north of Louisville. In Jefferson County itself, UL fans outnumber UK fans, but the surrounding counties were all a big majority for UK. Reds fans outnumbered Cardinals fans about 10 to 1, Colts fans outnumbered Bengals fans about 2 to 1, and the Pacers are the most popular NBA team but the majority of fans followed their favorite college team's players in the NBA rather than having a single favorite team.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on January 26, 2021, 03:08:43 PM
Hmm.  Of the ones I know and have personally asked why, they've all said they just don't like the same team winning over and over again.  When we're watching a championship game and neither team is one they generally cheer for, they cheer against the Yankees or Patriots for no other reason than that they prefer cheering for the underdog.

See, to me someone could be a non-fan and simply prefer cheering for the underdog and/or a new storyline.
On the other hand, only a true fan of a rival team would truly hate the Patriots and want them to get destroyed.

Then, by the time the Super Bowl comes around, nobody should have any qualms left about cheering for Tom Brady.  But we all know half the country will cheer against his team just because he's on it.

But he still has that reputation of being barrier to the success of so many other teams and players, even if he's not actively doing so in the Super Bowl. Sure, that's a reputation he has partly because he's so good and wins so much. But at some point, it is nice to see new people get to enjoy success when there's only so much to go around.

And I'm sure there's plenty of people who are rooting against Brady for other reasons, too: they're a Chiefs fan, they want to see a team win back-to-back titles, they want the road team to win against the first home team ever, they think Mahomes is the better player, etc.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: webny99 on January 26, 2021, 03:44:33 PM

See, to me someone could be a non-fan and simply prefer cheering for the underdog and/or a new storyline.
On the other hand, only a true fan of a rival team would truly hate the Patriots and want them to get destroyed.

But he still has that reputation of being barrier to the success of so many other teams and players, even if he's not actively doing so in the Super Bowl. Sure, that's a reputation he has partly because he's so good and wins so much. But at some point, it is nice to see new people get to enjoy success when there's only so much to go around.

The thing is, though - it's not Brady's fault no one can beat him. I've seen all the challengers come and go. First it was the Colts, then the Steelers, the Bengals, the Ravens, Chargers, and Broncos. All tried and all went away. Peyton beat NE in three AFC title games, one with Indy and two with Denver. After losing two title games in the early 2000s Manning ended up with a winning playoff record against Brady, but unfortunately his history of odd clunkers against other teams in the playoffs (like 2007 and 2008 against SD, 2010 vs. the Jets, and 2014 against the Colts) diminishes his impact in this regard.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on January 26, 2021, 03:44:33 PM
And I'm sure there's plenty of people who are rooting against Brady for other reasons, too: they're a Chiefs fan, they want to see a team win back-to-back titles, they want the road team to win against the first home team ever, they think Mahomes is the better player, etc.

The friend whose house we go to for the Super Bowl is a big Chiefs fan.  We were there when he broke the armrest of his sofa by punching it during a game once.  So yeah, he has a very good reason to cheer against the Buccaneers this year.  But, back in 2019, he had zero reason to choose one team over the other, yet he rooted against the Patriots anyway simply because they "always win".
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on January 26, 2021, 04:11:39 PM
The friend whose house we go to for the Super Bowl is a big Chiefs fan.  We were there when he broke the armrest of his sofa by punching it during a game once.  So yeah, he has a very good reason to cheer against the Buccaneers this year.  But, back in 2019, he had zero reason to choose one team over the other, yet he rooted against the Patriots anyway simply because they "always win".

Well, considering the Chiefs had just lost to the Patriots in the championship that season, isn't that reason enough to root against them?  :biggrin:

This does bring up a somewhat off-topic but interesting question of what you prefer to happen to the team you just lost to. Do you want them to win it all so you can claim to be second-best, having lost only to the best? Or do you want them to get waxed for revenge?

After the divisional round game this year, some Ravens players and even their head coach expressed that they wanted the Bills to go all the way after losing to them. From their perspective, the way it played out, it's not exactly a good look to only score 3 points on a defense that proceeds to give up 38 the next week.

I come down pretty firmly on the other side. I can't help but find a bit of enjoyment at the chaos unfolding in Houston after the brutal overtime playoff loss to them last year. That was about as painful a loss as you'll ever have, but pain leads to growth, and it sure showed this season as the two franchises moved in completely opposite directions from that point onwards.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on January 26, 2021, 04:32:30 PM
Well, considering the Chiefs had just lost to the Patriots in the championship that season, isn't that reason enough to root against them?

Yeah, remember that broken sofa incident I mentioned?  Guess what day that happened...

This does bring up a somewhat off-topic but interesting question of what you prefer to happen to the team you just lost to. Do you want them to win it all so you can claim to be second-best, having lost only to the best? Or do you want them to get waxed for revenge?

I want the better team in that game to win.  If that rival team plays well, then I hope they win.  If they keep making mistakes, or if the other team really shines, then I hope the other team wins.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 26, 2021, 03:55:08 PM
The thing is, though - it's not Brady's fault no one can beat him.

It's Belichick's fault!  :-P

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on January 26, 2021, 03:55:08 PM
Peyton beat NE in three AFC title games, one with Indy and two with Denver. After losing two title games in the early 2000s Manning ended up with a winning playoff record against Brady, but unfortunately his history of odd clunkers against other teams in the playoffs (like 2007 and 2008 against SD, 2010 vs. the Jets, and 2014 against the Colts) diminishes his impact in this regard.

Eli Manning and Nick Foles have winning playoff records against Brady, too, but the difference is the sample size. What sets Brady apart is his ability to get to the championship, thanks to regular season dominance (the great coach and terrible division didn't hurt), allowing them to get the bye most seasons. He's been to 14 championships! To me that's almost more unbelievable than 10 Super Bowls, but both are mind-boggling. It's the equivalent of Mahomes starting the 2039 Super Bowl. Just thinking about that makes my head hurt.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on January 26, 2021, 04:42:32 PM
Well, considering the Chiefs had just lost to the Patriots in the championship that season, isn't that reason enough to root against them?

Yeah, remember that broken sofa incident I mentioned?  Guess what day that happened...

Ha, I did actually wonder that!

That was about as painful a loss as you'll ever have, but pain leads to growth ...

... and look at where the Chiefs are now.

ftballfan

Some divides in Michigan:
The Lions/Packers divide is a fairly sharp divide along approximately M-77 in Da Yoop. There are scattered Packers areas in the Lower Peninsula along Lake Michigan (especially since many people in the shoreline counties used to watch Green Bay and Milwaukee TV in the 50s, 60s, and 70s).

The Tigers/Brewers divide is roughly a line from Marinette/Menominee to Iron Mountain to Ontonagon.

Michigan/Michigan State is very interesting. Michigan dominates in the Ann Arbor area, Michigan State dominates in the Lansing area, and the rest of the state is fairly evenly split.

texaskdog

Quote from: cabiness42 on January 26, 2021, 10:31:14 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on January 26, 2021, 09:45:06 AM
Quote from: jp the roadgeek on January 20, 2021, 02:32:37 PM
Yankees fans who are Pats fans

:banghead:

Met a guy once who was a fan of the Cowboys, Lakers and Yankees. Never wanted to punch anybody more than I wanted to punch him.

Post of the day

texaskdog

Quote from: ftballfan on January 28, 2021, 03:58:03 PM

The Tigers/Brewers divide is roughly a line from Marinette/Menominee to Iron Mountain to Ontonagon.

so roughly the state line?

ftballfan

Quote from: texaskdog on January 28, 2021, 04:12:16 PM
Quote from: ftballfan on January 28, 2021, 03:58:03 PM

so roughly the state line?
Yes. Marinette/Menominee gets both Fox Sports Detroit and Fox Sports Wisconsin on cable. However, the Ironwood/Hurley area gets only Fox Sports Detroit on cable.
Fun fact: In the superstation era, far northern Wisconsin (Marinette, Hurley, Ashland) used to get WKBD from Detroit on cable instead of WVTV from Milwaukee or WTCN (before 1979)/KMSP (after 1979) from the Twin Cities

SP Cook

- Columbus, Harrisburg, et al.  This is a thing in any state capital in a state with distinct loyalities.  Certainly in Charleston, where the vast majority follows the Reds/Bengals, albeit the Bengals loyalty is softer, but move ins from northern WV follow the Pittsburgh teams and there are some easterners that have kept their Baltimore/Washington loyality.

- Ted Turner.  THE greatest mistake baseball made in my lifetime.  From the mid 70s through the turn of the century, it was easier to watch the Braves, or the Cubs, than it was to watch your natural home team.  Harmed baseball, and harmed regional teams that depended on more than just a core city, even more.  The sad thing is, baseball is repeating almost the same mistake.   Baseball uses an idiotic and ridiculous map to determine the UP TO SIX teams that are local to a certain place. 

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/59/MLB_Blackout_Areas.png 

And, if you stream, you can much more easily and for FAR less money get every team, except your own, with the streaming package. 

- All this about the Patriots, Yankees, whatever.  Being a fan of a team from a place you have no connection with is not for me.  I don't get it.

- NBA.  I think the dominant NBA team in Kentucky is the same as it is in West Virginia and about 90% of the surface area of the country.  "none".  The NBA is followed by little kids, who do not base their loyalty on geography (see above), and urban dwellers.  Most rural people have no interest.

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on January 29, 2021, 09:46:10 AM
- All this about the Patriots, Yankees, whatever.  Being a fan of a team from a place you have no connection with is not for me.  I don't get it.

Me neither. Unless there is some local connection. Lots of UK fans become fans of whichever pro team their favorite players land with. Randall Cobb earned the Packers a lot of fans in the Bluegrass. Benny Snell has done the same for the Steelers. And Tim Couch definitely did for the Browns. Along the lines of that...

Quote- NBA.  I think the dominant NBA team in Kentucky is the same as it is in West Virginia and about 90% of the surface area of the country.  "none".  The NBA is followed by little kids, who do not base their loyalty on geography (see above), and urban dwellers.  Most rural people have no interest.

The Kentucky Colonels of the old ABA had a decent statewide fanbase, especially since they played a few home games in Memorial Coliseum in Lexington, and WHAS carried their games. There definitely isn't a big NBA team in Kentucky. As I noted previously, the interest is generally tied to UK alums on NBA rosters.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

thspfc

I'm late to this party, but sorry webny99, rivalries are generally at least a little bit competitive. Pats vs. Bills and Jets was not competitive for a good 20 years. That's not a rivalry, that's one team hating the other, and the other not caring. Pats/Colts, Pats/Steelers, Pats/Broncos, and Pats/Ravens were the true rivalries of the Patriots dynasty.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.