News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Why does this bridge look scary?

Started by tolbs17, March 13, 2021, 04:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triplemultiplex

My hypothesis about the tolbs's bridge:
The retaining walls make it look like a giant mouth you are about to drive into. :P
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

GaryV

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: GaryV on March 16, 2021, 10:07:25 AM
Here's a bridge with piers, and it's a scary bridge too.

https://www.google.com/maps/@32.6934997,-117.1504169,1778m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Just in rush hour when traffic backing up from I-5 has you running late. 

Max Rockatansky

The actual Scary Bridge was on the Eel River at the future site of Avenue of the Giants:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/136640606405094/permalink/3808970702505381/

SkyPesos

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 16, 2021, 08:29:40 PM
The actual Scary Bridge was on the Eel River at the future site of Avenue of the Giants:

FritzOwl will designate that as I-666.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 16, 2021, 08:31:33 PM

Actually, if I recall my AAroads lore I believe that I-366 would be in order since that is near Eureka and Ethanman.  Someone feel free to correct me if I mixing the backstories of Ethanman and I-366 with something else. 

SectorZ

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 16, 2021, 08:31:33 PM

Not until he twins it with an equally concerning structure parallel to it.

roadman65

The piers on this bridge have caps, and support heavy diesel locomotives.  I can't believe it supports trains at all.

https://goo.gl/maps/35kpZ8qU348suFQw8
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on March 16, 2021, 09:02:07 PM
The piers on this bridge have caps, and support heavy diesel locomotives.  I can't believe it supports trains at all.

https://goo.gl/maps/35kpZ8qU348suFQw8

That's both the Orange Line L and the western end of the Ashland yard of the Norfolk Southern–the latter being a primary NS interchange yard for the BNSF and UP.  Something tells me the bridges are doing just fine.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

tolbs17

This bridge could also look scary. Narrow shoulders and they need widening I'm sure.

CoreySamson

I think the scariest-looking bridge I've ever seen would have to be either of the two bridges in Cairo:
Ohio River Bridge:
Mississippi River Bridge:

The scariest looking bridge I've ridden on would have to be the Intercoastal waterway bridge on LA 1 in Port Allen. Just look at these supports:
Link:

The scariest bridge I've driven across was probably this narrow 60-mph one:
FM-2611 over the San Bernard River:
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

kphoger

Quote from: CoreySamson on March 18, 2021, 02:04:18 PM
I think the scariest-looking bridge I've ever seen would have to be either of the two bridges in Cairo:
Ohio River Bridge:

Scarier than the nearby mile-long Brookport Bridge, with the Ohio River–seventy feet down–visible through the less-than-twenty-foot-wide steel deck?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Mapmikey

That US 45 bridge is definitely scary...

Scariest ones I ever drove were the original 1929 Cooper River Bridge in Charleston SC.  Here is a 1953 photo that shows how steep it was at each end (also had a dip between spans - the bridge was 2 miles long) and how even trucks then took up the entire space.  Thankfully it was one-way and trucks were banned by the time I remember crossing it.
https://charlestonbusiness.com/core/files/scbiznews/uploads/images/Grace%20Bridge%20SCDOT%20photo.jpg

The other one is the original Albemarle Sound bridge on NC 32 which was replaced in the mid-2000s.  Very narrow and a popular route for semis.  I cannot find a photo of this bridge.

Dirt Roads

The way you capitalized Scary, I just had to chime in.  There's the Scary Bridge over Scary Creek on WV-817 just a mile south of the interchange with I-64.  Before I-64 came through, there used to be a Little Scary Bridge over Little Scary Creek right next to the interchange, but this was replaced with a large culvert during the Interstate construction.  According to county maps from the 1950s, Scary used to be an incorporated town (one of three little incorporated towns adjacent to Exit 44 and Exit 39 that seemingly disappeared about the time of Interstate construction, but I'm skeptical). 

Scary Bridge is not worth paying attention to, except for the submerged stone arch culvert for the former Chesapeake & Ohio Railway just upstream.  All of this is along the Kanawha River.  Before the completion of the Winfield Locks bypass in the late 1990s, the mean water level on the Kanawha was quite a bit lower and the stone arch was only partially submerged.  Scary Bridge is also home of the historical marker for the Battle of Scary.  Locals call this area "The Foot of Scary Hill".

CoreySamson

Quote from: kphoger on March 18, 2021, 02:27:01 PM
Ohio River Bridge:

Scarier than the nearby mile-long Brookport Bridge, with the Ohio River–seventy feet down–visible through the less-than-twenty-foot-wide steel deck?
Ok yikes! It never occurred to me that steel decks like that were actually open to the river below. The other two look scary to me because they are so tall and narrow.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on March 18, 2021, 02:27:01 PM
Ohio River Bridge:

This is probably the only GSV link posted on this forum that's intentionally pointed at the ground...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

jmacswimmer

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 18, 2021, 12:20:52 PM
This bridge could also look scary. Narrow shoulders and they need widening I'm sure.

Both 1995hoo & I mentioned that JFK Highway stretch of I-95 in another thread and how drivers tend to have a right-lane aversion (which I think the Tydings Bridge contributes to):

Quote from: jmacswimmer on March 18, 2021, 09:23:10 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 17, 2021, 06:12:17 PM
I have absolutely had that experience on I-95 in Maryland on more than one occasion, especially the segment between Baltimore and Delaware. I'm not sure why people in Maryland are so scared of the right lane.

The right lane is the secret weapon on the JFK segment of I-95 :-D

Pre-COVID I used to always notice that whenever there were weekend slowdowns on that piece of I-95, that the right lane inched along quicker (relatively speaking, anyway) than the other 2 lanes.  I've never understood why everyone insists on cruising in the middle (and sometimes left :rolleyes:) lane - maybe something to do with the Tydings Bridge? (Which, yes, is only one mile out of a ~50 mile stretch, but who knows :banghead:)

I think there are a fair number of people who don't like driving that bridge (I am not one of them) because of the lack of shoulders & drop-off to the Susquehanna below.  The only time I didn't particularly enjoy crossing was during a day with nasty crosswinds - had to death-grip the wheel!

FWIW, MDTA's long-term plan is to widen I-95 from 6 to 8 lanes to Delaware, which would obviously have to include a Tydings Bridge replacement (or twinning...).
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

tolbs17

Quote from: jmacswimmer on March 19, 2021, 08:56:36 AM
Quote from: tolbs17 on March 18, 2021, 12:20:52 PM

Both 1995hoo & I mentioned that JFK Highway stretch of I-95 in another thread and how drivers tend to have a right-lane aversion (which I think the Tydings Bridge contributes to):

Quote from: jmacswimmer on March 18, 2021, 09:23:10 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 17, 2021, 06:12:17 PM
I have absolutely had that experience on I-95 in Maryland on more than one occasion, especially the segment between Baltimore and Delaware. I'm not sure why people in Maryland are so scared of the right lane.

The right lane is the secret weapon on the JFK segment of I-95 :-D

Pre-COVID I used to always notice that whenever there were weekend slowdowns on that piece of I-95, that the right lane inched along quicker (relatively speaking, anyway) than the other 2 lanes.  I've never understood why everyone insists on cruising in the middle (and sometimes left :rolleyes:) lane - maybe something to do with the Tydings Bridge? (Which, yes, is only one mile out of a ~50 mile stretch, but who knows :banghead:)

I think there are a fair number of people who don't like driving that bridge (I am not one of them) because of the lack of shoulders & drop-off to the Susquehanna below.  The only time I didn't particularly enjoy crossing was during a day with nasty crosswinds - had to death-grip the wheel!

FWIW, MDTA's long-term plan is to widen I-95 from 6 to 8 lanes to Delaware, which would obviously have to include a Tydings Bridge replacement (or twinning...).
How about the extension of the express lanes?

jmacswimmer

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 19, 2021, 01:18:52 PM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on March 19, 2021, 08:56:36 AM
How about the extension of the express lanes?

Construction is beginning to extend them northbound-only (for now) to exit 77 - IIRC, once fully built out the farthest those would go is exit 80 or exit 85.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

roadman65

http://bridgereports.com/1636210
Read the inspection report on Deihl Road over the PA Turnpike and see why this Rigid Concrete bridge looks scary.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Did something on the 7th Street Bridge in Modesto on Gribblenation awhile back.  The 7th Street Bridge is presently being braced up and has a really low weight limit:

https://www.gribblenation.org/2020/11/former-us-route-99-in-modesto-and-7th.html?m=1

Any report on the bridge and any close look at the substructure reveals why the 7th Street Bridge needs to be replaced.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

tolbs17

Is it me or does this overpass look too low to me?

CoreySamson

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 11, 2021, 10:20:31 PM
Is it me or does this overpass look too low to me?
In Texas that would have a clearance sign. Then again, there would also be one where the ramp goes over 70 Bypass.

My Route Log
My Clinches

tolbs17

Sherman Minton Bridge sucks. I don't like elevated bridges. I'm sure it lights up but it's VERY boring to drive on when you are on the lower level. And it looks scary cause I feel like the top deck will collapse!  :-o

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.