News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Guess the speed limit challenge

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 09, 2021, 10:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: doorknob60 on December 10, 2021, 04:00:36 PM
I guess I'll go with 35, because if it's in Washington, none of the 65 MPH highways there I've been on look like that, they are pretty strict with where they post that. If it's Oregon, it's especially not 65, ha. Terrain wise definitely looks like one of those states. And I'm thinking it's not on the state highway system, local roads can have extra weird speed limits.

It is 35! Well done. Obviously underposted. The nearby WA-202 is of similar design but fortunately is posted at 55.

Here is the location:

Tolt Hill Rd, King County, WA:
https://maps.app.goo.gl/zigAq3z3BfTXTmsH8

doorknob60

Yep, I've seen my share of underposted exurban/rural local roads, they can be kind of a crapshoot.

Next one is in MPH. ...After looking at GSV again, I think there are 2 acceptable answers here lol.

webny99

Does that mean there's a truck speed limit?  :D

How about 65 mph?

7/8

jakeroot

Going to guess there is a 55 mph truck limit?

doorknob60

jlam

andrepoiy

doorknob60

Quote from: jlam on December 11, 2021, 06:59:33 PM

Yep that will have to count. It's Lake Hazel Rd just outside Boise, ID. My original intention was for the correct answer to be 40 MPH believe it or not, based on 2019 Street View (which is what the picture was taken from). But it looks like sometime after that image was taken (and since I've driven it myself), they've decided to raise it to 45 MPH. Here's some almost brand new street view I only discovered after posting the image. So I decided to accept either 40 or 45, since today's speed limit and the speed limit at the time of the GSV I took the image from both seem like valid answers.

This road was only built a few years ago, and currently goes through completely undeveloped desert, which is why it looks like a rural 65 MPH highway or something along those lines. But eventually there will be a whole lot of houses and other development along the street, so the 45 MPH will probably be more than reasonable down the line. As it stands now, 45 is underposted, but as the whole segment of road is only about 2 miles long, with a 25 MPH curve in the middle of it, it's not as bad as it looks in the picture (I would do 50 or 55). I would not say the same if it was still 40.

jlam

Quote from: doorknob60 on December 12, 2021, 01:34:14 AM
Quote from: jlam on December 11, 2021, 06:59:33 PM

Yep that will have to count. It's Lake Hazel Rd just outside Boise, ID. My original intention was for the correct answer to be 40 MPH believe it or not, based on 2019 Street View (which is what the picture was taken from). But it looks like sometime after that image was taken (and since I've driven it myself), they've decided to raise it to 45 MPH. Here's some almost brand new street view I only discovered after posting the image. So I decided to accept either 40 or 45, since today's speed limit and the speed limit at the time of the GSV I took the image from both seem like valid answers.

This road was only built a few years ago, and currently goes through completely undeveloped desert, which is why it looks like a rural 65 MPH highway or something along those lines. But eventually there will be a whole lot of houses and other development along the street, so the 45 MPH will probably be more than reasonable down the line. As it stands now, 45 is underposted, but as the whole segment of road is only about 2 miles long, with a 25 MPH curve in the middle of it, it's not as bad as it looks in the picture (I would do 50 or 55). I would not say the same if it was still 40.
I'll be able to post a new image tomorrow.

jlam

webny99

andrepoiy

7/8

jlam

jakeroot

Looks nothing like SH-130 so I won't guess anything over 80.

55?

jlam

Quote from: jakeroot on December 13, 2021, 07:46:52 PM
Looks nothing like SH-130 so I won't guess anything over 80.

55?
Sorry, no.

Lukeisroads

sprjus4

webny99

How about 60 mph? It hasn't been guessed yet, and it would make sense if this is a non-interstate.

jlam

Quote from: webny99 on December 13, 2021, 10:06:53 PM
How about 60 mph? It hasn't been guessed yet, and it would make sense if this is a non-interstate.
Nope.

7/8

jlam

Quote from: 7/8 on December 15, 2021, 10:09:49 AM
65?
You got it! This is along US 85 in Colorado between Gilcrest and Platteville.

7/8

Quote from: jlam on December 15, 2021, 10:32:27 AM
Quote from: 7/8 on December 15, 2021, 10:09:49 AM
65?
You got it! This is along US 85 in Colorado between Gilcrest and Platteville.

It helps when most of the others options were already guessed. :)

Next up, in km/h and ends in 0.

Alternate link: https://i.postimg.cc/pTjv9VhJ/Guess-the-speed-limit-challenge-3.png

jlam

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.