News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The I-10 Broadway Curve Widening

Started by kernals12, October 21, 2021, 08:14:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skluth

Quote from: rte66man on November 12, 2021, 06:18:17 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on November 12, 2021, 03:52:28 PM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on November 12, 2021, 02:58:52 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on November 12, 2021, 02:48:48 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on November 12, 2021, 02:21:10 PM
If only other cities could do this, but the uproar would be deafening almost everywhere else.

San Antonio and NoVA seem to be getting away with it.
I haven't seen opposition to freeway expansion in OKC yet.

No offense, but OKC isn't really a major metro area and I was thinking of *big* cities

How would you define "Major"? OKC is the 22nd largest city in the US according to the most recent census estimate.

I usually think of largest city as metro area. There are a lot of cities with large metro areas where the core city/cities are not that big, like the older NE cities of Cleveland, Pittsburgh, and St Louis. OKC is only the 41st largest metro area. All are smaller than OKC yet their metro areas are larger.

kernals12

ADOT says construction will begin in ernest in January to avoid causing traffic snarls over Thanksgiving and Christmas
https://www.abc15.com/news/operation-safe-roads/i-10-broadway-curve-project-to-expand-after-the-holidays

kernals12

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 22, 2021, 07:51:12 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on October 22, 2021, 07:47:09 AM
Quote from: Plutonic Panda on October 22, 2021, 07:35:43 AM
I'm very happy to see this project becoming a reality and it will be nice once it's finished. LA needs to take notes and copy this for the south bay curve 405.

AZDOT probably owns the ROW for widening I-10 to 16 lanes (20 lanes if you include C/D lanes). I'm guessing Caltrans doesn't have any more room to widen the 405 without major eminent domain.
True but most of the properties near the freeway aren't that great anyways. Looking on aerial imagery as I don't pay attention when I'm driving through Torrence there seems to be a decent stretch of ROW that could accommodate a couple new lanes each way. They could always add 3 lanes each way underneath the interstate like 635 in Dallas. Make them free(NO TOLLS) express lanes.

The plan to add just one lane in each direction to the 710 Freeway for 18 miles would cost $6 billion. Even if the people adjacent to the freeway are willing to give up their property, you still need pay to demolish the homes, then tear out the land underneath, put in retaining walls, and replace all the bridges. It's extremely expensive to add lanes if you don't have space in reserve for it.

JKRhodes

If this project fixes nothing else, the lane continuity from the I-10 West to US 60 East will be a welcome improvement. From the time i first drove it, it felt incomplete/fudged and left a lot to be desired.

It'll also be nice to have the ability to get from Westbound I-10 to northbound 143 without having to slide across three lanes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.