News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Separate alternate history board

Started by Molandfreak, December 21, 2021, 03:19:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molandfreak

It'd be great to have a separate board for alternate history, rather than just fictional highways where the quality ranges from reasonable to FritzOwl. It would reduce the need to explain that whatever is being proposed isn't something that should happen today, but something that would be neat to have if different decisions were made decades ago.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Alps

I think you'll find the same quality issues with alternate history. I don't want to speak for everyone on the team, but we have in the past expressed a preference to keep anything that isn't actual to that board alone.

Molandfreak

Quote from: Alps on December 21, 2021, 03:24:26 PM
I think you'll find the same quality issues with alternate history. I don't want to speak for everyone on the team, but we have in the past expressed a preference to keep anything that isn't actual to that board alone.
The purpose would be more to avoid things like this than to create more problems in another board:
Quote from: Molandfreak on December 08, 2021, 07:53:54 PM
Quote from: jaehak on December 08, 2021, 12:13:25 PM
I don't think Idot would or should extend 55. The ending at LSD is maybe the best, most iconic end of any interstate. It's literally in the opening theme to Married With Children AND in National Lampoon's vacation. 57 or 65, maybe they play ball.
I doubt many people actually want a renumbering to happen in the first place. I think this is more of an alternate history thread.
And I don't really see outlandish ideas as a problem. Just that some other members take the fictional board way too seriously. If nothing else, some comic relief is nice.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Scott5114

We already have 24 boards visible to the typical user, with 5 additional sub-boards available for 29 in all. Thus, the bar has to be pretty high to merit adding another one, and since this has significant overlap with the scope of fictional board, I'm not sure it meets that bar. If other people are taking themselves too seriously in that board to enjoy the type of thread you have in mind...well, that's their problem.

If we were going to make an additional fictional board, I'd suggest the distinction be to split off fully fictional regions from those that are proposals for the real world. Fictional countries often contain a good deal of illustrations in them (since they often don't use the US MUTCD), so it's currently slightly unclear whether those kinds of threads make more sense under Fictional or Road-Related Illustrations.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

All you'll end up with is more of the history of Alanland being continuously fleshed out.  I've had enough of Alangoatteen's attempt to rig the election of Grand Alan to fill ten lifetimes.

Scott5114

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 21, 2021, 04:05:02 PM
All you'll end up with is more of the history of Alanland being continuously fleshed out.

I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing. I've thought about going on Quindaropedia to write the rest of the Alan biographies, but then I lay down until the feeling passes.

I've had enough of Alangoatteen's attempt to rig the election of Grand Alan to fill ten lifetimes.

That did suck a lot of the fun out of it for me too. It stopped being funny after the first time it happened and just became tedious, although I did get to Photoshop a fish hat onto a photo of a sitting U.S. senator because of it, so it wasn't all bad, I guess.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 21, 2021, 05:33:34 PM
All you'll end up with is more of the history of Alanland being continuously fleshed out.

I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing. I've thought about going on Quindaropedia to write the rest of the Alan biographies, but then I lay down until the feeling passes.

I've had enough of Alangoatteen's attempt to rig the election of Grand Alan to fill ten lifetimes.

That did suck a lot of the fun out of it for me too. It stopped being funny after the first time it happened and just became tedious, although I did get to Photoshop a fish hat onto a photo of a sitting U.S. senator because of it, so it wasn't all bad, I guess.
I still don't know if I won or not. I slept in and missed the results. I'm leaving Alanland forever.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 30, 2021, 09:25:11 PM

I still don't know if I won or not. I slept in and missed the results. I'm leaving Alanland forever.

Your loss was preordained in the Book of Alan.

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on December 30, 2021, 09:25:11 PM

You got the thread locked for good, so I'd count that as a loss.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.