News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The I-90/OH-2 Lorain County 4-Lane Stretch MAY Finally Get Widened???

Started by thenetwork, December 29, 2021, 08:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

One of the more mysterious freeway "gaps" in Ohio has to be stretch of I-90/OH-2 in Lorain County (between OH-611 and OH-57) that has been 4 lanes for nearly 50 years.

Widening of the freeway west of the Cleveland (Westlake) area to OH-611 has been completed for nearly 20 of those years.  The mainline bridges have been widened for years as well, yet the "gap" still remains through parts of Elyria, Avon and Sheffield.

There is finally talk about rebuilding the pavement in that stretch with "possibly" adding the third lanes in an upcoming project, making I-90 a minimum of 3 lane in each direction from the Ohio Turnpike all the way to I-490.

https://chroniclet.com/news/286671/local-officials-odots-proposed-i-90-pavement-replacement-project-could-include-widening/

My question is: Why is ODOT still being hesitant on widening the final 5-7 miles of 4-lane interstate when they have widened the bridges years ago? 

If they are going to rebuild that stretch, and the infrastructure bill has added funding to projects, this should be a slam dunk logical completion, yet they still make it sound like it will take a miracle alignment of moons and stars to rebuild and widen at the same time.

About as dumb as leaving that I-71 4-lane gap for so long in Delaware and Morrow Counties that was finally completed 5 years ago.

zzcarp

It sure would be nice to see that done. 20 years ago it wasn't that necessary. I attended night classes for a while at LCCC in the early oughts, and while traffic on OH 2 and I-90 was heavy at rush hour, it was nearly always passable at or near the speed limit.

My recollection of these highway projects was that the northeast Ohio MPO has been anti-highway expansion. Their concern historically is that reducing congestion will increase sprawl and thus the further migration of people and businesses from Cleveland proper and higher tax Cuyahoga County to the lower tax, somewhat-lower corruption hinterlands. I know that's why I-71's widening was done on sporadic sections instead of consecutive ones. I suspect that hurdle is why the widening hasn't been a higher priority.
So many miles and so many roads

thenetwork

Well the original excuse for not widening that stretch was the bridges over the Black River needed to be done first...We'll thats been done for a while, so there is no excuse not to finish it now.

Great Lakes Roads

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4533224,-82.0671934,3a,75y,349.77h,87.17t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbeuEYK7CzQxZFWyNU87lrg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

Also, I should point out that the last remaining bridge that hasn't been widened yet is currently being replaced with an easy expansion to three lanes in each direction if they decide to do it.

(It's the bridge that goes over the railroad tracks in Avon.)

Buck87

Quote from: thenetwork on December 30, 2021, 01:16:00 AM
Well the original excuse for not widening that stretch was the bridges over the Black River needed to be done first...We'll thats been done for a while, so there is no excuse not to finish it now.

There were 7 pairs of bridges that needed done, and the Black River and Ford Rd pairs were the first ones to get done. After that came the OH 57 and W River Rd pairs. Then came the Lake Ave and RR track pairs (between 57 and the 2/90 split). And now the final pair is currently underway, as pointed out by Great Lakes Roads.

dvferyance

Yep going to need a wider interstate to accommodate all the traffic going to the Duck Tape Festival every June.

Buck87

Not sure how reliable this is, but I heard from someone who knows someone working on that final pair of bridges over a railroad track near OH 611 that the project is currently being held up due to Norfolk Southern being non compliant on granting whatever right of way access or some such that is required to complete it.

Buck87

This project now has an ODOT page!
https://www.transportation.ohio.gov/projects/projects/107714

Currently scheduled to start in Spring 2025 and finish in 2027

Major pavement rehab, and widening to 6 lanes of the last section from OH 611 to the OH 2/I-90 split

JREwing78

It's about time! Definitely one of the more congested areas along I-90/OH-2, with AADTs over 60,000 vehicles per day.

They should have extended the 6-laning an additional mile or so west to the Middle Ridge Rd exit; the traffic following I-90 is relatively minor compared to that staying on OH-2 at that point. OH-2 east of Middle Ridge Rd is still clocking 55,000 vehicles per day. Perhaps it's because the WBD I-90 overpass is under Ohio Turnpike jurisdiction?

thenetwork

Quote from: JREwing78 on November 30, 2023, 01:58:11 PM
It's about time! Definitely one of the more congested areas along I-90/OH-2, with AADTs over 60,000 vehicles per day.

They should have extended the 6-laning an additional mile or so west to the Middle Ridge Rd exit; the traffic following I-90 is relatively minor compared to that staying on OH-2 at that point. OH-2 east of Middle Ridge Rd is still clocking 55,000 vehicles per day. Perhaps it's because the WBD I-90 overpass is under Ohio Turnpike jurisdiction?

By the time they finish the missing 3rd lane link between the Turnpike and OH-611, the existing 3-lane section in Lorain County will be due for a rebuild.

Buck87

They should have extended the 6-laning an additional mile or so west to the Middle Ridge Rd exit; the traffic following I-90 is relatively minor compared to that staying on OH-2 at that point. OH-2 east of Middle Ridge Rd is still clocking 55,000 vehicles per day.

Someone made a comment on the project page that they should have widened it all the way to OH 58. However, they also made a comment about needing noise wall in that direction too....and the ODOT response deals only with the noise wall question and completely ignores the part about extra widening. 

Perhaps it's because the WBD I-90 overpass is under Ohio Turnpike jurisdiction?

I don't think that's the case. This overall project does include resurfacing (but not widening) the section of 90 from the OH 2 split to just before the tollbooths, which would suggest to me that it falls under ODOT.
https://www.dot.state.oh.us/projects/files/PID%20107714%20Project%20Overview%20Map.pdf

thenetwork

Quote from: Buck87 on December 01, 2023, 10:00:37 AM

They should have extended the 6-laning an additional mile or so west to the Middle Ridge Rd exit; the traffic following I-90 is relatively minor compared to that staying on OH-2 at that point. OH-2 east of Middle Ridge Rd is still clocking 55,000 vehicles per day.

Someone made a comment on the project page that they should have widened it all the way to OH 58. However, they also made a comment about needing noise wall in that direction too....and the ODOT response deals only with the noise wall question and completely ignores the part about extra widening. 

Perhaps it's because the WBD I-90 overpass is under Ohio Turnpike jurisdiction?

I don't think that's the case. This overall project does include resurfacing (but not widening) the section of 90 from the OH 2 split to just before the tollbooths, which would suggest to me that it falls under ODOT.
https://www.dot.state.oh.us/projects/files/PID%20107714%20Project%20Overview%20Map.pdf

I believe that is true as the western end of I-480 is ODOT-maintained up to or darn near close to the Turnpike Toll Plaza.  Heck, ODOT's blue 2/10th mile markers run all the way down the turnpike ramps to a 0.0 mile marker!!!

dvferyance

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.