News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Forgotten Sitcoms

Started by roadman65, March 19, 2022, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

I remember a short lived two season sitcom, called Carter Country. It starred Victor French, Kene Holiday, and Richard Paul.  It was a parody on the movie In The Heat of the Night before Dean Hargrove created the one hour weekly drama ten years later.

It took place in a fictional Georgia town called Clinton Corners with Victor French playing Chief Roy Mobey, Chief of Police of the Town with a small force for a small rural community with Kene Holiday playing Sergeant Curtis Baker, a well educated officer forced to be hired by the town, to help improve the department in many ways, and Richard Paul playing Mayor Teddy Burnside, the quirky town mayor.  Also included was a great array of supporting characters, all creating a great chemistry to create comic antics.

It was forgotten as no company ever printed DVDs for it and most of all no one this day and age talks too much about.

Any others you missed and would like to share.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Max Rockatansky

Spin City was something I enjoyed when Michael J Fox stared in it. 

Rothman

I rewatched a few episodes of Davis Rules. Kind of depressing, since I thought it was hilarious as a kid.  Discovered that was because it has three funny jokes in it per episode rather than maybe one in its contemporary sitcoms.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Takumi

Two Guys, A Girl, And a Pizza Place put Ryan Reynolds on the map, but that’s about all anyone remembers about it.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

wanderer2575

Holmes & Yoyo, about a bumbling police detective and his android partner.  Ran for only about a dozen episodes in the mid-'70s.  I vaguely recall that I liked it, although I believe it's regarded as one of the worst TV series made.

bandit957

Back in 1986, there was a sitcom called 'Me & Mrs. C'. I remember my parents watching it once. All I remember is that a man on the show had a catchphrase: "It goes on...and on...and on...and on...and on!" Just a few years ago, a friend blogged about old TV shows, and I think I mentioned this show in the comments.

I remember back around 1981, there was a sitcom called 'Maggie' that my mom just hated hated hated hated hated! The only thing I remember is a scene where a kid on the show got bashed in the mouth and it knocked his teeth out, and all the blood that resulted. It's probably the most graphic scene I've ever seen in a sitcom.

In the mid-'80s, there was some short-lived sitcom we were watching one evening, and my brother burst out laughing because a man on the show looked just like one of his high school teachers.

Also in the mid-'80s, there was a sitcom called 'Spencer', which was about some high school kid.

There was another sitcom in the mid-'80s set in a high school where I think the teacher was played by Howard Hesseman, who was best known as Johnny Fever of 'WKRP In Cincinnati'.

I remember a sitcom in the early '80s set in an elementary school where kids kept chewing bubble gum and misbehaving.

Anyone remember 'Me And Maxx'?

There was also a sitcom where I think a school principal or teacher was played by the bald, mustachioed actor from 'The Electric Company'. I'm not 100% sure if it was him though.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bandit957

I thought of another one, but this wasn't really a sitcom. It was more like a drama.

Back around 1999 or 2000, there was some TV show about some kid who was about 15. The weird thing about this show is that he would often talk directly to the viewer. I remember the actor was in some commercial too.

Anyone else remember this?

I didn't watch this show regularly, but I remember how I kept seeing it when I was flipping through the channels.

Takumi

Quote from: bandit957 on March 19, 2022, 09:37:06 PM
I thought of another one, but this wasn't really a sitcom. It was more like a drama.

Back around 1999 or 2000, there was some TV show about some kid who was about 15. The weird thing about this show is that he would often talk directly to the viewer. I remember the actor was in some commercial too.

I didn't watch this show regularly, but I remember how I kept seeing it when I was flipping through the channels.

You sure you're not thinking about Malcolm In The Middle? That was a sitcom, and decidedly is not forgotten.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

bandit957

Quote from: Takumi on March 19, 2022, 10:01:14 PM

You sure you're not thinking about Malcolm In The Middle? That was a sitcom, and decidedly is not forgotten.

It wasn't 'Malcolm In The Middle'. I think this show was around just before 'Malcolm In The Middle' debuted.

bandit957

Quote from: bandit957 on March 19, 2022, 10:09:31 PM
Quote from: Takumi on March 19, 2022, 10:01:14 PM

It wasn't 'Malcolm In The Middle'. I think this show was around just before 'Malcolm In The Middle' debuted.

I remember this show using "What It's Like" by Everlast for one scene.

bandit957

I think I figured out what it was. I think it was 'Get Real'.

dlsterner

One that came to mind for me was once from the early 1970's called "Arnie", about a blue-collar worker being promoted into a white-collar management position.  Herschel Bernardi and Sue Ane Langdon were in it.

I remember liking the show, but I haven't seen any mention of it - positive nor negative - in many years.

wxfree

I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Ned Weasel

"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

bandit957

Anyone remember 'Amen'?

ZLoth

Parker Lewis Can't Lose (1990-1993)
The New Adventures of Beans Baxter (1987-1988)
Life with Lucy (1986-1986)
The Piglet Files (1990-1992)
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

roadman65

How about Checkin In, that was a failed spin off of the Jeffersons.  It aired mid season and was Florence Johnston of The Jefferson's leaving George and Louise to become Executive Housekeeper of a nearby hotel.  The show never made it past Summer of that season, so Marla Gibbs was able to return to The Jefferson's before the next Fall Season began and retain her job with only a couple of episodes missed.

Sheryl Crowe

Big John

Quote from: bandit957 on March 20, 2022, 09:53:41 AM
Anyone remember 'Amen'?
with the George Jefferson character playing a Philadelphia lawyer.

roadman65

Quote from: Big John on March 20, 2022, 11:17:14 AM
Quote from: bandit957 on March 20, 2022, 09:53:41 AM
Anyone remember 'Amen'?
with the George
Jefferson character playing a Philadelphia lawyer.

It was part of NBC's Saturday Night Line Up in the late eighties.  Starting with Facts of Life, it aired with them and Empty Nest.  Then later the Golden Girls joined them as well.

Sheryl Crowe

NWI_Irish96

Anybody else watch "Head of the Class"? The redhead on there was my first childhood crush.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kurumi

My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: kurumi on March 20, 2022, 01:22:20 PM
Did anyone see a "one and done" show from this list: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_series_canceled_after_one_episode

NBC's The Paul Reiser Show was cancelled after two episodes. I'd say that's pretty well forgotten. Also, Whitney on NBC.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

bandit957

I remember a sitcom that I believe was on Fox in the mid-'90s where the main selling point was that the dad on the show told lots of poo jokes. I never got to see this show though, and only heard about it from the previews and critics. It didn't last long.

Around that same time, there was also a sitcom where the mom told lots of poo jokes. I think this was also on Fox. I never got to see this show either.

bandit957

Also, does anyone remember '704 Hauser'?

triplemultiplex

I remember watching the premiere of the Dana Carvey Show.  A sketch show and not a sitcom, but still somewhat legendary for how hard it got cancelled by ABC/Disney despite a murders row of writing and comedic acting talent.  I genuinely didn't see what the BFD was regarding their supposedly 'controversial' content.  Just seemed like another, "Oh the grown-ups have ruined something again.  Too bad."
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.