News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33904.0
Corrected several already and appreciate your patience as we work through the rest.

Main Menu

Businesses with a cult of personality-like following

Started by Max Rockatansky, April 25, 2022, 06:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirt Roads

And Biscuitville reminds me of a two-fer in West Virginia:

Tudor's Biscuit World/Gino's Pizza and Spaghetti (many locations house both restaurants together).  Both Tudor's and Biscuitville have a cult-like reputation that deserves to be highlighted in the "Restaurants that cause Traffic Problems" thread.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 25, 2022, 10:16:32 PM
Kwik Trip
Taco Bell

Taco Bell on the east coast I've found has a really strong following for whatever reason.  One of the greatest dining annoyances I have is visiting Florida and having to suffer through family members thinking Taco Bell is fine Mexican cuisine.  Granted, I got them back during my wedding when they Golden State Boulevard showed up to cater.

Also, I suppose that's a pro tip for weddings.  Said taco truck charged $1,400 to feed 220 people three plates of tacos (which had four tacos to a plate).

Rothman

I haven't seen anything resembling a cult-like following of Taco Bell on the East Coast and I've lived here most of my life.  If anything, Taco Bell is known as the place to buy cheap sludge when you can't afford anything else.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Rothman on April 26, 2022, 12:07:57 AM
I haven't seen anything resembling a cult-like following of Taco Bell on the East Coast and I've lived here most of my life.  If anything, Taco Bell is known as the place to buy cheap sludge when you can't afford anything else.

To pair it down to a more specific area, this would be Florida.  Even when I lived in the vicinity in Key West the Taco Bell on Marathon had a shockingly strong fan base with many driving 30-40 miles to get it.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Rothman on April 26, 2022, 12:07:57 AM
All 3 of the main chains part of Yum! Brands (KFC, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut) seem to get a bad rep here, and generally fast food chains to avoid.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on April 25, 2022, 10:42:31 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 25, 2022, 07:53:43 PM
My best friend considers my love of Braum's to be cult-like behavior.

The product at Whataburger is great but the service sucks so I rarely bother to buy it.

I'm not crazy about either one.  I think they both have decent burgers (not phenomenal, just decent), but I don't really care for crinkle-cut fries.

Braum's food side is just okay. It's the ice cream and, especially, the grocery side that shine. I don't buy milk or bread anywhere else because it blows Hiland and Sara Lee or whatever out of the water.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Bruce

Supreme
Half of the "high streetware" bullshit that is manufactured for pennies overseas and sells for $1000

SSOWorld

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 25, 2022, 06:32:25 PM
- Apple
Do they ever have no customers in their stores?

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 25, 2022, 06:32:25 PM
- Costco
#NotCaturday

Quote from: Big John on April 25, 2022, 07:52:49 PM
Culvers
No fucking doubt. They compete with In-n-Out for longest drive thru lines.

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on April 25, 2022, 08:26:50 PM
Quote from: Big John on April 25, 2022, 07:06:15 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on April 25, 2022, 06:59:48 PM
The Chicago Cubs
Dallas Cowboys
Notre Dame Irish
New York Yankees
Hell, College Football as a whole to the point where some conferences and even Notre Dame's football program have lucrative television contracts - WTF? 

Same with the NFL as a whole. The Cowboys seem to get 4:25 pm ET games even when they suck. 
The Green Bay Packers cult following is a bunch of "stockholders"
The Team that Tom Brady is playing for becomes a favorite as well.

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on April 25, 2022, 10:16:32 PM
Kwik Trip

especially in WI.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

SSOWorld

3 words:

Marvel
Cinematic
Universe

(An arm of Disney, yeah, but it is the strongest one)
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Ted$8roadFan

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Raise your what?

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

formulanone

If you dig a little, you'll find that nearly every brand has its fanatics. With the rise of social media, there's always going to be a top 1-10% that have found their Hill of Disposable Income to die upon.

All sports teams; after all, the unwritten rule is that "you can't break allegiances" or be a "bandwagon fan". So unless your team went defunct and disappeared, there's really no difference between one or another, save teams with comparatively small fan bases.

jeffandnicole

Wawa
Sheetz

In fact, many places where coffee is involved tends to have their loyal cult followers, further evidenced by the companies mentioned upstream.

formulanone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 26, 2022, 08:46:44 AMIn fact, many places where coffee is involved tends to have their loyal cult followers, further evidenced by the companies mentioned upstream.

For one, caffeine is addictive (says the one needing 3-4 daily doses).

Loyalty programs also create acolytes (says the fellow with about 10 different memberships).

kphoger

I've been known to refer to QuikTrip as "the local religion" here in Wichita, because people are more religious about it than they are about church.  The thought of meeting someone at a gas station other than QT never even enters people's minds.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 26, 2022, 08:46:44 AM
Wawa
Sheetz

In fact, many places where coffee is involved tends to have their loyal cult followers, further evidenced by the companies mentioned upstream.

The sandwich following at Wawa is pervasive.  I was left so underwhelmed by an adequate sandwich given there was so much hype building up to trying one.  I would have swore that I had committed a mortal sin by voicing my opinion at work given the immediate backlash.

hbelkins

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 26, 2022, 09:38:12 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 26, 2022, 08:46:44 AM
Wawa
Sheetz

The sandwich following at Wawa is pervasive.  I was left so underwhelmed by an adequate sandwich given there was so much hype building up to trying one.  I would have swore that I had committed a mortal sin by voicing my opinion at work given the immediate backlash.

The hype is over the hoagies/subs/whatever you want to call them. It's not really something I get into, since I'm not a fan of buying cold cut sandwiches from a dining establishment. The fact that Sheetz has so many hot items and a great selection of fried appetizers is why I'm much more of a Sheetz fan than a Wawa fan.

Most of the businesses/products I would have mentioned have already been listed, but here are my additions.

Alabama Crimson Tide football (I'm simply amazed how many fans of other SEC schools start posting "Roll Tide" like sheep every fall)
Ale-8
Cheerwine
Vernor's
Meidas Touch (Hint: If you have the word "Meidas" or the phrase "Meidas Mighty" in your Twitter handle, you're probably a member of a cult)
Grateful Dead

In the past: Dale Earnhardt and Jeff Gordon (at the height of their rivalry, especially) and Dale Earnhardt Jr.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

|Dirt Roads| actually already mentioned Cheerwine.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

US 89

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 26, 2022, 01:42:00 AM
Quote from: kphoger on April 25, 2022, 10:42:31 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 25, 2022, 07:53:43 PM
My best friend considers my love of Braum's to be cult-like behavior.

The product at Whataburger is great but the service sucks so I rarely bother to buy it.

I'm not crazy about either one.  I think they both have decent burgers (not phenomenal, just decent), but I don't really care for crinkle-cut fries.

Braum's food side is just okay. It's the ice cream and, especially, the grocery side that shine. I don't buy milk or bread anywhere else because it blows Hiland and Sara Lee or whatever out of the water.

My grandparents lived in Bartlesville back when they were still around. My favorite part of any visit to them was going to get ice cream at Braum's.

bing101

Quote from: 1 on April 25, 2022, 06:28:23 PM
Tesla
Both Mac and Linux
Yes I can see how Linux is compared to a cult. But when I first used Linux the vibe I got was tribal over distros such as the Red Hat vs Arch vs debian comparisons. You get sucked into Tribal disputes over who is better.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

TheHighwayMan3561

Chipotle had a pretty obsessive following when I was in high school. Maybe that's faded now.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Dirt Roads

Quote from: kphoger on April 26, 2022, 11:34:49 AM
|Dirt Roads| actually already mentioned Cheerwine.

Yes, but its OK if that has a cult following in Eastern Kentucky.  There's a few areas of Virginia where Cheerwine has a cult following as well, but it's not statewide like here in North Carolina.

RC (Royal Crown Cola) once had a cult following in West Virginia when I was growing up.  The local bottlers doubled the amount of carbonation for most of the West Virginia market to fend off the highly carbonated Pepsi.  We knew about the poor Southern cult following for "RC Cola and Moon Pie", but most of us avoided the Moon Pies because they cost too much.  Everybody seemed to gravitate to RC Cola and Nabs (because Nabs and Lance crackers were cheaper).  When I came to North Carolina, I found out that "RC Cola and Nabs" was a big thing in Old Raleigh, but I seriously doubt that it was the same reasoning as in West Virginia.  Plus, we didn't have a phrase for it.

thspfc

Anime. Some people don't know where anime stops and real life starts.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.