News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Formula 1 racing chatter!

Started by mgk920, October 25, 2011, 08:20:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

formulanone

It looks like Alpine missed an opportunity to blend purple/violet hues into the blue and pink with that yahoo! sponsorship.

1995hoo

The BBC reports the FIA announced the cancellation of this year's Russian GP in view of current events and that Haas have removed Uralkali's sponsorship from their cars, trailers, etc. Unclear whether Mazepin will remain a Haas driver this season–the team appear keen to distance themselves from Mazepin's father, who has close ties to Putin.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

7/8

The last of the ten car reveals was today: Alfa Romeo!
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.alfa-romeo-unveil-bold-new-livery-for-2022.3sCyQeW5SPD20W9AeIFD2D.html

Personally I've been a fan of their recent liveries and I think they've done another great job this year. The shade of glossy red, the classic "Alfa Romeo" font, and the Italian flag on the rear wing are all awesome! My only nitpick is I wish the Orlen logo on the sidepods was the same shade of red as the car.

1995hoo

Haas dropped Mazepin. Replacement TBA.

formulanone

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 05, 2022, 01:08:39 PM

Probably Pietro Fittipaldi, but Antonio Giovinazzi makes more sense (he's in an IndyCar contract, though).

Would be interesting to see if Alpine can write a big enough check for tester Oscar Piastri to get some experience.

Takumi

Quote from: formulanone on March 05, 2022, 02:47:17 PM

Probably Pietro Fittipaldi, but Antonio Giovinazzi makes more sense (he's in an IndyCar contract, though).

Would be interesting to see if Alpine can write a big enough check for tester Oscar Piastri to get some experience.

Gio is in Formula E, not IndyCar (Callum Ilott might be who you're thinking of).
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

formulanone

Quote from: Takumi on March 08, 2022, 12:51:37 PM
Quote from: formulanone on March 05, 2022, 02:47:17 PM

Gio is in Formula E, not IndyCar.

Right, my mistake.

Takumi

The latest rumor is that Nico Hulkenberg is the front runner for the Haas seat. Maybe Germany's 1&1, one of the most prominent sponsors on the car, offered to up their sponsorship if Haas signed another German driver.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

7/8

Takumi

Colton Herta has signed a development deal with McLaren. Michael Andretti has offered his support. It's worth noting that Andretti and McLaren CEO Zak Brown co-own a team in Australia's Supercars series.
https://racer.com/2022/03/12/mclaren-signs-herta-to-formula-1-development-deal/

Don't @ me. Seriously.

7/8

JoePCool14

So who watched quali today? Might have been the craziest one for some time. Lots of emotions.

I just hope Mick is truly okay and doesn't have any internal injuries. Waiting for the "ok" was really concerning. His mum was probably hysterical.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 60+ Clinches | 260+ Traveled | 8000+ Miles Logged

Takumi

Mick has been withdrawn from the race, and Haas will only be running Magnussen tomorrow.

A weekend to forget for F1 so far, aside from Perez finally taking his first pole.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

JoePCool14

Quote from: Takumi on March 26, 2022, 07:05:08 PM
Mick has been withdrawn from the race, and Haas will only be running Magnussen tomorrow.

A weekend to forget for F1 so far, aside from Perez finally taking his first pole.

I don't really care what anyone thinks, but I'm also relieved to see Hamilton out of the picture in the front for a change. Last time he was out in Q1 on pure pace was Silverstone 2009.

But yes, this weekend has been very bad overall for Formula 1. They should cancel their contract here and never return.

1995hoo

Turned out to be a pretty good race after all that. LeClerc sandbagging Verstappen just before the DRS detection point was brilliant, even if in the end it didn't make a difference.

I read somewhere that there are plans for the race to move to another yet-unbuilt circuit, but I don't know the status of that nor recall where the other circuit was to be (other than, for obvious reasons, it can't be in Mecca).

Takumi

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 27, 2022, 04:06:58 PM
Turned out to be a pretty good race after all that. LeClerc sandbagging Verstappen just before the DRS detection point was brilliant, even if in the end it didn't make a difference.

I read somewhere that there are plans for the race to move to another yet-unbuilt circuit, but I don't know the status of that nor recall where the other circuit was to be (other than, for obvious reasons, it can't be in Mecca).
Qiddiya. It's supposed to be part of a larger entertainment complex, including a theme park. The track is planned to be 7 km long, and incorporate a figure 8 section like Suzuka.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

JoePCool14

Just in tonight: F1 will be racing on the streets of Las Vegas in 2023!
https://youtu.be/mg5ZMHqQ-_8

Here's the proposed circuit layout:
https://youtu.be/LYUIoQyYka0

7/8

Circuit layout looks a bit plain, but the atmosphere of a night race should be cool to watch. From what I hear, the plan is to start at 10pm on Saturday in late November. A few concerns:
a) That's a start time of 1am ET. If so, I'll just watch it Sunday morning, but it's a bit disappointing to not be able to watch the race live when it's in the US.
b) Vegas at night in late November will be pretty cold. It could present issues for the tires.

JoePCool14

Quote from: 7/8 on March 31, 2022, 04:15:14 PM
Circuit layout looks a bit plain, but the atmosphere of a night race should be cool to watch. From what I hear, the plan is to start at 10pm on Saturday in late November. A few concerns:
a) That's a start time of 1am ET. If so, I'll just watch it Sunday morning, but it's a bit disappointing to not be able to watch the race live when it's in the US.
b) Vegas at night in late November will be pretty cold. It could present issues for the tires.

I agree about the track layout. Feels like Monza but with more basic corners. If only they could add some sort of extra chicane somewhere.

I think the start time is a bit odd. 10pm MST is insanely late, meaning the podium ceremonies would be wrapping up around midnight. Running the race in Vegas on Saturday night does make sense. But pushing the start time forward by 2-3 hours would make a world of difference. Right now, the start time is almost as bad as the next race in Melbourne.

7/8

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 31, 2022, 05:52:58 PM

I agree about the track layout. Feels like Monza but with more basic corners. If only they could add some sort of extra chicane somewhere.

I think the start time is a bit odd. 10pm MST is insanely late, meaning the podium ceremonies would be wrapping up around midnight. Running the race in Vegas on Saturday night does make sense. But pushing the start time forward by 2-3 hours would make a world of difference. Right now, the start time is almost as bad as the next race in Melbourne.

Las Vegas is actually on PST. Both the Vegas and Australian races will start at the same time (1am ET Sunday) which feels crazy considering the distance between them. But they don't want the race too early for Europe.

JoePCool14

Quote from: 7/8 on March 31, 2022, 10:37:49 PM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 31, 2022, 05:52:58 PM

Las Vegas is actually on PST. Both the Vegas and Australian races will start at the same time (1am ET Sunday) which feels crazy considering the distance between them. But they don't want the race too early for Europe.

Oh nice, so make that another midnight race for me.

They're trying to play both lanes here then. Appeal to Americans, but still make it more convenient for Europeans to watch. Can't they suffer with having to get up in the middle of the night for a change?  :spin:

At least it'll be Saturday into Sunday.

formulanone

Can't we make them suffer with a 7am or 11pm race for once?

Actually, a 2pm start time puts a larger dent in my day than a 7-8am start. Putting it on a Saturday will help. (The last Saturday F1 race was back in 1985.)

7/8

Quote from: formulanone on April 01, 2022, 09:10:10 AM
Can't we make them suffer with a 7am or 11pm race for once?

Actually, a 2pm start time puts a larger dent in my day than a 7-8am start. Putting it on a Saturday will help. (The last Saturday F1 race was back in 1985.)

Yes I'm happy to live on the west side of the world for F1. Most of the races are in the morning, so I can start streaming the race whenever I wake up on Sunday morning, which leaves the rest of the day free to do whatever. The far east (ex: New Zealand) has it really rough with most races being early Monday morning.

JoePCool14

The Miami GP is coming up this weekend! Any Floridians had an opportunity to check out the circuit? Is anyone here going to the race by chance?

Otherwise, anyone have any thoughts about the event or the track? I saw a YouTube video where the guy took some drone shots and it's looking decent. The fake marina is tacky, but the rest of the stuff he showed looked nice. We'll see how good the circuit layout is for racing, but aesthetically it's cool. It's also cool to see the track interweave with some of the Turnpike ramps.

1995hoo

People complained about having an F1 race in a car park in Las Vegas 40 years ago. We'll see how they react this time.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.