News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

WIS 29 - Interstate Standard? Or no?

Started by merrycilantro, May 25, 2012, 01:04:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeekJedi

Quote from: thspfc on August 09, 2021, 07:39:43 PM
Quote from: gr8daynegb on August 09, 2021, 06:23:56 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 09, 2021, 03:10:41 PM
I would think US-151 between I-39/90 and I-41 would become an interstate before WI-29.  But even that's a long way off, and I don't think WIDOT seems very interested in 3dis since there are numerous highways that would qualify for them now.

At this point I think WI-441 would be the leader in the clubhouse for US or State highways in the state that could receive an interstate upgrade.

If an interstate was to be extended then maybe I-41 extended to Abrams, or 39 up to US 8 or near it......maybe
I don't know what is stopping WISDOT from slapping the red and blue shields on WI-441. They would have no problem getting federal approval to make it an Interstate. They wouldn't even have to change the number.

Same reason they didn't try to slap a US shield on it. First, it's more of a loop route than a legit bypass, second, it's more of a local route than anything, and third, they just don't seem interested in spending time and money on it. I can appreciate that.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

thspfc

Quote from: GeekJedi on August 19, 2021, 03:15:26 PM
I would think US-151 between I-39/90 and I-41 would become an interstate before WI-29.  But even that's a long way off, and I don't think WIDOT seems very interested in 3dis since there are numerous highways that would qualify for them now.

At this point I think WI-441 would be the leader in the clubhouse for US or State highways in the state that could receive an interstate upgrade.

If an interstate was to be extended then maybe I-41 extended to Abrams, or 39 up to US 8 or near it......maybe
I don't know what is stopping WISDOT from slapping the red and blue shields on WI-441. They would have no problem getting federal approval to make it an Interstate. They wouldn't even have to change the number.

Same reason they didn't try to slap a US shield on it. First, it's more of a loop route than a legit bypass, second, it's more of a local route than anything, and third, they just don't seem interested in spending time and money on it. I can appreciate that.
First two reasons are irrelevant because there are dozens of 3dis like that around the country. The third one is more realistic.

I-39

In addition to the ongoing County VV interchange, WisDOT plans to close the Bass Lake Road intersection east of Hatley in 2023.

https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/nc/wis29/default.aspx

There is also a project ongoing to put a J turn at County U, but my guess is that will be an interim improvement until funding can be secured for an interchange.

With these little projects popping up, I'm beginning to think a case could be made for converting the Wausau to Green Bay section of WIS 29 to full freeway standards.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: I-39 on September 26, 2021, 10:33:21 PM
In addition to the ongoing County VV interchange, WisDOT plans to close the Bass Lake Road intersection east of Hatley in 2023.

There is also a project ongoing to put a J turn at County U, but my guess is that will be an interim improvement until funding can be secured for an interchange.

With these little projects popping up, I'm beginning to think a case could be made for converting the Wausau to Green Bay section of WIS 29 to full freeway standards.

When I look at the County U intersection I don't see that J-turn on the wisdot page.  And working for the Oneida tribe for 15 years(former gas station at U and 29, and the the travel plaza on old 29 by 156/Y/32 anything besides doing a bridge over highway, making U it's own exit, or just cutting off access to U is just keeping a dangerous intersection at that spot.  And if you see the turn as it's currently built/current condition that's not safe either as people make illegal turns quite frequently
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: thspfc on August 19, 2021, 08:13:28 PM
Quote from: GeekJedi on August 19, 2021, 03:15:26 PM

First two reasons are irrelevant because there are dozens of 3dis like that around the country. The third one is more realistic.

I just don't think WIDOT is all that interested in 3dis.  There could be one on US-12 in Walworth County, WI-30 in Dane County, US-45 north to West Bend, WI-441 in Outgamie County and WI-172 in Brown County.  But all the current 3dis date from the advent of the interstate highway system.

I-39

Quote from: gr8daynegb on September 27, 2021, 02:24:39 PM

When I look at the County U intersection I don't see that J-turn on the wisdot page.  And working for the Oneida tribe for 15 years(former gas station at U and 29, and the the travel plaza on old 29 by 156/Y/32 anything besides doing a bridge over highway, making U it's own exit, or just cutting off access to U is just keeping a dangerous intersection at that spot.  And if you see the turn as it's currently built/current condition that's not safe either as people make illegal turns quite frequently

Sorry, it is not the County U in Brown County, it is the County U in Shawano County

https://projects.511wi.gov/wis29countyu/full-project-overview/

Not sure why they are putting a j turn there as opposed to just closing off the intersection or putting an interchange there.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: I-39 on September 27, 2021, 03:19:27 PM
Quote from: gr8daynegb on September 27, 2021, 02:24:39 PM

Sorry, it is not the County U in Brown County, it is the County U in Shawano County

https://projects.511wi.gov/wis29countyu/full-project-overview/

Not sure why they are putting a j turn there as opposed to just closing off the intersection or putting an interchange there.

Because the road is too important close off and an interchange is significantly more expensive.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.