News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Recent posts

General Highway Talk / Re: Road-Geeky Things Of The P...
Last post by bing101 - Today at 07:11:45 PM
I miss the Union 76 Clock Tower between former Highway 480 at I-80 Bay Bridge in San Francisco. I remember this as a kid when I lived in the city. It was a roadgeek favorite.

That location is now One Rincon Hill towers in San Francisco that took the spot of the former CA-480 ramp and former Union 76 Tower.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Rincon_Hill

Southeast / Re: I-40 in North Carolina
Last post by ARMOURERERIC - Today at 07:07:52 PM
I did not know about the public meetings on 40/64 hence did not attend.  My biggest agitation is that the local paper supposedly showed online all the alternatives, and a tight diamond was NOT one of them.  Even now, on local discussion forums many are like "where did that stupid option come from"?  I'm curious if the FHA approved  an option that the locals did not really have a chance to comment on.  All the other proposals had a 2 or 3 lane left turn pocket from 64w to 40e, a properly built tight diamond is going to need a 7 lane bridge for 64, 2 lanes each direction for 64, 2 lanes for left turns on 64 w, and 1 lane for lefts on 64e and the will have to be concurrent on the bridge due to the close signal spacing.  Hell the SPUI had a triple left, so obviously there was a noticeable need.

What stinks 8s with all these interchanges that were supposed to be done by 2020 now being pushed back, NCDot is having to spend millions just to keep 70 years old bridge decks usable for another 20 years.
Great Lakes and Ohio Valley / Re: Ohio
Last post by GCrites - Today at 07:05:29 PM
An enormous amount of Columbus' highway mileage is elevated or trenched (especially for such a flat area). Trenching you can sometimes do something with but elevated is tough. A scant amount of it is at or near the elevation of the surrounding land. That's the easiest scenario to beautify.
Mid-South / Re: US 281 Expansion in Blanco...
Last post by texaskdog - Today at 06:43:03 PM
Like in Fred
Quote from: longhorn on April 08, 2024, 10:21:49 AM
Quote from: kernals12 on August 27, 2022, 09:19:20 AM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on August 26, 2022, 11:08:21 PM
Quote from: kernals12I don't see what use a US 281 freeway would be for anyone who is currently going along I-35.

Long haul commercial traffic going to/from Mexico and points in the US well North/Northeast of the DFW metro would use such a route to bypass the highly populated Austin and DFW metros. If US-281 was built as a freeway up to Wichita Falls it would connect directly into I-44 (which connects back into I-35 in OKC).

A better quality US-281 route would also improve military traffic between bases/posts in the San Antonio area, Fort Hood in Killeen and Fort Sill next to Lawton.

Quote from: kernals12Also, I'd think twice before building an Interstate Highway through Texas Hill Country.

US-281 already cuts a fairly wide and direct path through the Hill Country. It wouldn't be hard to upgrade that highway to Interstate standards, even if it is flanked by frontage roads. The main areas where new terrain paths would be needed is for limited access bypasses in towns like Blanco, Johnson City, Burnet and Lampasas. Even if the rural stretches of US-281 are never upgraded to Interstate standards it's likely bypasses will be built for those towns in the not so distant future.
Upgrading US 281 to interstate standards would mean building it to a design speed of 75 mph. That's going to require flattening a lot of hills in Hill Country. And those frontage roads will sever natural habitats.

Quote from: In_Correct on August 27, 2022, 01:32:24 AMPerhaps kernals12 has no idea how badly it is needed for U.S. 281 and other nearby Corridors to be upgraded. When ever on Interstate 35 any lanes close or all the traffic just stops for what ever reason, there are aggressive Commercial Drivers that want to go next, and shouts at other drivers that are In " Their " Way. Simply get most of these Commercial Drivers on U.S. 281 which all ready needs the additional lanes to be constructed.

I would not describe Interstate 35 as Flat.

You know that there are solutions to I-35's congestion besides paving over Hill Country, right? And this route would lure a very small percentage of the current traffic on I-35 simply because it goes through the middle of nowhere.

That is the thing, the traffic is coming whether you plan for it or not. So plan for it.

Why there is not a plan to reroute around Blanco is weird. And most towns would fight a re-route around town.

Like in Fredericksburg they stopped it. The town is a destination already.
Southeast / Re: Florida
Last post by roadman65 - Today at 06:42:24 PM
Northeast / Re: Central Susquehanna Valley...
Last post by 74/171FAN - Today at 06:02:59 PM
PennDOT - District 3 News: CSVT Project to Close Attig Road in Monroe Township, Snyder County

QuoteMontoursville, PA – Construction continues on the Southern Section of the Central Susquehanna Valley Transportation (CSVT) project in Snyder County.

On Friday, April 26, 2024, the portion of Route 1014 (Mill Road) that connects the two roundabouts will be opened to traffic.

On Monday, April 29, 2024, Attig Road (T-451) will be closed between Penns Drive (T-504) and Route 1015 (App Road), while the contractor begins to excavate, install new drainage, and pave the roadway.

A detour using App Road and Mill Road will be in place for approximately five weeks.

For more information on the CSVT project, please visit www.csvt.com

Motorists can check conditions on major roadways by visiting www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and access to more than 1,000 traffic cameras. 511PA is also available through a smartphone application for iPhone and Android devices, by calling 5-1-1, or by following local alerts on X.

Subscribe to PennDOT news and traffic alerts in Tioga, Bradford, Lycoming, Sullivan, Union, Snyder, Northumberland, Montour and Columbia counties at www.penndot.pa.gov/District3.

Information about infrastructure in District 3 including completed work and significant projects, is available at www.penndot.gov/D3Results. Find PennDOT's planned and active construction projects at www.projects.penndot.gov.

Find PennDOT news on  X,  Facebook and Instagram.

Southeast / Re: I-40 in North Carolina
Last post by cowboy_wilhelm - Today at 05:52:18 PM
Considering construction phasing, I don't think a SPUI could be constructed in Morganton anyway since the existing overpass would need to be kept open. There'd have to be a major shift to the east or west due to the larger structure, knocking out nearby properties with the approaches. At that point, you might as well go with the cheaper DDI.

Brier Creek is a good example of a delayed project (from 2018 to 2028 now) with an updated 2023 traffic forecast for 2050. The previous forecast looks like it was 2016/2040. It has gotten so bad there that I don't even go to Brier Creek anymore.

A fully upgraded U.S. 70 from I-540 to Durham would be a huge relief for I-40. Basically all of north Raleigh could utilize U.S. 70 for I-40/I-85 towards Greensboro.
Sports / Re: NFL (2024 Season)
Last post by JayhawkCO - Today at 05:43:10 PM
Quote from: thspfc on Today at 05:33:04 PMIf you listened to the internet you would think it's remarkable that the franchise hasn't spontaneously combusted yet after having no first round picks for 8 years.

It's mostly about trying to stay under the salary cap. Being able to sign high-talent guys to rookie contracts is the easiest way to have several years of relevancy.
Sports / Re: NFL (2024 Season)
Last post by thspfc - Today at 05:33:04 PM
If you listened to the internet you would think it's remarkable that the franchise hasn't spontaneously combusted yet after having no first round picks for 8 years.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.