Roadsign deemed "Offensive" and removed

Started by mass_citizen, August 25, 2014, 08:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6a

So what about the blue services signs? Do Hindus get to have them removed because all those hamburger joints are offensive?

People need to grow a set.

froggie

QuoteHonestly, I blame the media.  If one person complains, it should be a simple complaint with the police, or the store owner, or whatever.  Instead, the media picks up the issue and acts like the offending person is the worst idiot ever to roam the earth.  Cut the media out of it, and the sole offended person doesn't have much else to get their message out with (other than Facebook and such, but I'm sure there aren't too many people looking for "Yield to Bacon" type pages).

In this case, the sign was removed before the media caught wind of the situation.

Whether the diner owner knew of the Vermont law I cited earlier or not, I'm not sure.  But the bottom line is that, had the diner owner left the sign, the "offendee" did have another, and VERY LEGAL, position to fall back on to get the sign removed.

QuoteSo what about the blue services signs?

Also prohibited in Vermont.  General signs saying services (food, fuel (including diesel/24hour), etc) are allowed, but the blue logo signs that most states have are not allowed here.

Molandfreak

Quote from: froggie on August 27, 2014, 08:20:37 PM
QuoteHonestly, I blame the media.  If one person complains, it should be a simple complaint with the police, or the store owner, or whatever.  Instead, the media picks up the issue and acts like the offending person is the worst idiot ever to roam the earth.  Cut the media out of it, and the sole offended person doesn't have much else to get their message out with (other than Facebook and such, but I'm sure there aren't too many people looking for "Yield to Bacon" type pages).

In this case, the sign was removed before the media caught wind of the situation.

Whether the diner owner knew of the Vermont law I cited earlier or not, I'm not sure.  But the bottom line is that, had the diner owner left the sign, the "offendee" did have another, and VERY LEGAL, position to fall back on to get the sign removed.

QuoteSo what about the blue services signs?

Also prohibited in Vermont.  General signs saying services (food, fuel (including diesel/24hour), etc) are allowed, but the blue logo signs that most states have are not allowed here.
Regardless of all the legal eagle aspects, the sign was a stupid reason to get offended.  Quit dodging what's actually being talked about here.  If the person wanted it removed out of confusion with real MUTCD signs and cited the law, I wouldn't have a problem with that.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

cjk374

At this rate, the only color anyone will be able to use on anything will be one of the 50 shades of gray (not the book!), only a few words will be allowed to be used to describe anything, and anything creative will be squashed.  This sounds like a familiar story I've read somewhere before.....   :hmmm:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

hotdogPi

Quote from: cjk374 on August 31, 2014, 04:00:15 PM
At this rate, the only color anyone will be able to use on anything will be one of the 50 shades of gray (not the book!), only a few words will be allowed to be used to describe anything, and anything creative will be squashed.  This sounds like a familiar story I've read somewhere before.....   :hmmm:

Not counting black or white, there are 254 shades of gray.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Road Hog

Quote from: 1 on August 31, 2014, 04:06:54 PM

Those are being saved for the sequel.

cjk374

Holy crap!  I had no idea!  :wow:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: cjk374 on August 31, 2014, 04:15:08 PM

Holy crap!  I had no idea!  :wow:
The Monkees will explain it:

bdmoss88

The only way that sign could really be offensive to someone who doesn't eat pork is if it had a robotic arm that reached out an jammed a piece of bacon in your mouth when you looked at it.

sdmichael

I had a sign removed before because I found it offensive. It was something someone private put up talking about bicyclists not sharing the roadway on a local roadway. The County removed it, citing it was also too similar to an actual road sign and could be a source of confusion. Problem solved on both ends.

jcroyer80

Just to be clear, this wasn't a roadsign.  It was an advertisement for the restaurant and it was located on the public right of way, but in the design of a roadsign. Winooski allows business that tend some of the public gardens to put up small advertisements.  Sneakers decided to take it down on its own, to avoid just this kind of backlash and controversy.  I appreciate the free speech element of discussing it on this forum, but it really has nothing to do with roads.  Instead we now have a large number of people from outside of the Burlington metro area attacking Sneakers, the town, the people, our state etc... without knowing the full story or the players.  Again, it's an interesting discussion but has nothing to do with roads.

mass_citizen

Quote from: jcroyer80 on September 29, 2014, 12:27:55 PM
Just to be clear, this wasn't a roadsign.  It was an advertisement for the restaurant and it was located on the public right of way, but in the design of a roadsign. Winooski allows business that tend some of the public gardens to put up small advertisements.  Sneakers decided to take it down on its own, to avoid just this kind of backlash and controversy.  I appreciate the free speech element of discussing it on this forum, but it really has nothing to do with roads.  Instead we now have a large number of people from outside of the Burlington metro area attacking Sneakers, the town, the people, our state etc... without knowing the full story or the players.  Again, it's an interesting discussion but has nothing to do with roads.

Actually, it was an advertisement in the shape of a roadsign on an adopt an island. This has very much to do with roads considering it was a sign aimed at road users. If you would browse our forum a little bit more, you would see that this type of discussion is relevant. If you want to say its better off in the "off topic" section of our forum, then I'll give you that. But to say it has nothing to do with roads and shouldn't be on this forum is just plain incorrect.

Also keep in mind that our version of the story is based on articles published by Burlington, VT newspapers (The NY daily news piece is almost identical to information published by the Burlington Free Press). So before you say we don't know the full story or players I suggest you reach out to your local media and have them set the record straight.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.