News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Turns from unmarked lanes

Started by 1995hoo, September 08, 2014, 12:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

See Street View link below.

After you make the left turn at the light shown, there are either two or three lanes available depending on whether rush-hour parking restrictions are in effect. The question is: Is it legal to turn left (or right, for that matter) from the unmarked center lane? Lots of people do–I'd estimate during rush hour more people go left from that lane than go straight–and I've always wondered about the legality of that movement.

(I recognize the answer to this could vary by jurisdiction.)

http://goo.gl/maps/ojo6w

(Post edited to change the first word of the second sentence from "When" to "After" to clarify what I meant by the reference two or three lanes being available.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

In most cases, the law is you must turn left from the left most lane, and turn right from the right most line.  If there is signage and/or lane markings indicating more than one lane can turn, then it's legal as per the signage/lane markings shown.

In this case, straight appears to be the only legal option from the center lane.  If it's permitted otherwise, that's fine.  If an accident were to occur then they'll have to look at the movements and decide who's at fault based on the actual law.

Brandon

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 08, 2014, 12:13:34 PM
See Street View link below.

When you make the left turn at the light shown, there are either two or three lanes available depending on whether rush-hour parking restrictions are in effect. The question is: Is it legal to turn left (or right, for that matter) from the unmarked center lane? Lots of people do–I'd estimate during rush hour more people go left from that lane than go straight–and I've always wondered about the legality of that movement.

(I recognize the answer to this could vary by jurisdiction.)

http://goo.gl/maps/ojo6w

In the Midwest, I would say no.  It is not specifically marked for turning by a sign or by pavement markings.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.