News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Current state speed limit increase proposals

Started by Pink Jazz, March 03, 2015, 08:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

NY interstates are still stuck at 65, and pretty much every effort to change that has been dead on arrival.  Heck, I-495 is still stuck at 55!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kalvado

Quote from: vdeane on May 05, 2017, 01:30:05 PM
NY interstates are still stuck at 65, and pretty much every effort to change that has been dead on arrival.  Heck, I-495 is still stuck at 55!
We're not alone..
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/laws/speedlimits/mapmaxspeedonruralinterstates?topicName=Speed - as far as I understand that is pretty recent.

Brandon

Quote from: kalvado on May 05, 2017, 02:26:49 PM
We're not alone..
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/topics/laws/speedlimits/mapmaxspeedonruralinterstates?topicName=Speed - as far as I understand that is pretty recent.

Gotta love the lie IIHS posts there though:

QuoteSpeeding makes crashes more likely and more likely to be deadly.

Guess they never heard of speed differentials.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

Quote from: Brandon on May 05, 2017, 02:38:59 PM
We're not alone..

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  I'll believe claims like that as soon as they start differentiating between "going over the speed limit" and "driving too fast for conditions."  But when both situations are lumped together under the label "speeding-related crash," I stop listening.  It's widely accepted (I know, I know, citation needed) that most speed-related crashes are due to driving too fast for conditions, but nobody I've talked to seems to know exactly what percentage.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on May 05, 2017, 03:04:41 PM
We're not alone..

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  I'll believe claims like that as soon as they start differentiating between "going over the speed limit" and "driving too fast for conditions."  But when both situations are lumped together under the label "speeding-related crash," I stop listening.  It's widely accepted (I know, I know, citation needed) that most speed-related crashes are due to driving too fast for conditions, but nobody I've talked to seems to know exactly what percentage.

And all that is because I couldn't link directly to the map from IIHS web site...

cl94

Quote from: kphoger on May 05, 2017, 03:04:41 PM
We're not alone..

Those of us in the research community agree completely. Differentials are the killer and the speed limit almost always has nothing to do with design speed. Speed related crashes are typically caused by not adjusting to conditions and idiots driving well under the 85th percentile speed. That's right - a lot of speed-related crashes are caused by the assholes driving SLOW.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

kphoger

Quote from: cl94 on May 05, 2017, 04:31:51 PM
That's right - a lot of speed-related crashes are caused by the assholes driving SLOW.

Ask any snow plow driver who's had to go 40 mph on the Interstate with blade on pavement how many times he/she has almost been rear-ended.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cl94

Quote from: kphoger on May 05, 2017, 04:42:35 PM
Quote from: cl94 on May 05, 2017, 04:31:51 PM
That's right - a lot of speed-related crashes are caused by the assholes driving SLOW.

Ask any snow plow driver who's had to go 40 mph on the Interstate with blade on pavement how many times he/she has almost been rear-ended.

Plows are one thing. It's the old grannies who insist on driving 55-60 in a 65 when there's a parallel surface road.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

vdeane

We're not alone..
The other states below 70 aren't in the examples of states that went to 70 in the post previous to mine.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Ingsoc75

I'm hoping with the new legislation passed in Oklahoma last year, their non turnpike interstates will finally go above 70.
Check out my Speed Limit Sign Gallery.

tckma

Is there any part of the LIE with exit numbers below 60 where is it even possible to exceed, oh, I don't know, 25 MPH?

roadfro

Quote from: roadfro on May 05, 2017, 04:31:07 AM
Quote from: gonealookin on May 03, 2017, 02:21:05 PM
Nevada's 80 mph maximum speed limit, passed by the legislature and signed by the governor in 2015, is finally being implemented as soon as next week on a 125-mile stretch on I-80.

QuoteThe Nevada Department of Transportation will raise the maximum speed limit from 75 to 80 mph on sections of Interstate 80 between Fernley and Winnemucca.

Beginning as early as May 8, roughly 30 new speed limit signs will be installed with the 80 mph speed limit on Interstate 80 between Fernley and Winnemucca, excluding a section of interstate through Lovelock.

While this part does pertain to certain grades between Winnemucca and the Utah border, there are long stretches out there where 80 mph could be implemented as well.

QuoteSpeed limits will not be increased east of Winnemucca in part to reduce potential traffic safety concerns created by slower-moving trucks unable to ascend mountainous grades at the same speeds as passenger vehicles.

Nevada law provides that the maximum fine for exceeding 80 mph, but not exceeding 85 mph, in a zone posted for 80 is $25, with no points charged against the driver's record.

Thanks for posting this–I'd been wondering if NDOT was doing studies, or just not being in a hurry to post 80 after the law was approved last session. I hadn't yet come across that press release.

The press release has photos of Speed Limit 80 signs being produced and stacked. So nice!

KTVN-2 (CBS affiliate) in Reno ran a story about this on Monday, May 8th. New signs were indeed being installed on Monday.

It mentions that no other sections of I-80 east of Winnemucca are likely to be raised to 80mph, due to the hills/passes and potential speed differentials with trucks. However, NDOT is supposedly examining data to evaluate potential 80mph speed limits on I-15.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: roadfro on May 11, 2017, 02:28:20 AM
Quote from: roadfro on May 05, 2017, 04:31:07 AM
Quote from: gonealookin on May 03, 2017, 02:21:05 PM
Nevada's 80 mph maximum speed limit, passed by the legislature and signed by the governor in 2015, is finally being implemented as soon as next week on a 125-mile stretch on I-80.

QuoteThe Nevada Department of Transportation will raise the maximum speed limit from 75 to 80 mph on sections of Interstate 80 between Fernley and Winnemucca.

Beginning as early as May 8, roughly 30 new speed limit signs will be installed with the 80 mph speed limit on Interstate 80 between Fernley and Winnemucca, excluding a section of interstate through Lovelock.

While this part does pertain to certain grades between Winnemucca and the Utah border, there are long stretches out there where 80 mph could be implemented as well.

QuoteSpeed limits will not be increased east of Winnemucca in part to reduce potential traffic safety concerns created by slower-moving trucks unable to ascend mountainous grades at the same speeds as passenger vehicles.

Nevada law provides that the maximum fine for exceeding 80 mph, but not exceeding 85 mph, in a zone posted for 80 is $25, with no points charged against the driver's record.

Thanks for posting this–I'd been wondering if NDOT was doing studies, or just not being in a hurry to post 80 after the law was approved last session. I hadn't yet come across that press release.

The press release has photos of Speed Limit 80 signs being produced and stacked. So nice!

KTVN-2 (CBS affiliate) in Reno ran a story about this on Monday, May 8th. New signs were indeed being installed on Monday.

It mentions that no other sections of I-80 east of Winnemucca are likely to be raised to 80mph, due to the hills/passes and potential speed differentials with trucks. However, NDOT is supposedly examining data to evaluate potential 80mph speed limits on I-15.
Welp, that's 7 states with 80mph. Only 43 left to go.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 11, 2017, 11:00:35 PM

Have you driven out west?  I'd say there's definitely merit to northeastern states having lower speed limits than western states.  Where traffic volumes are consistently low and exits are widely spaced, it's reasonable to go faster; where traffic volumes are consistently high and exits are closely spaced, it's reasonable to go slower.

Between Winnemucca and Fernley, it's 125 miles of wide-open driving with AADT under 9000; there are a total of 16 exits along the way and only one incorporated town, whose population is less than 2000.  Does not compare.
Male pronouns, please.

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on May 12, 2017, 11:34:12 AM

Have you driven out west?  I'd say there's definitely merit to northeastern states having lower speed limits than western states.  Where traffic volumes are consistently low and exits are widely spaced, it's reasonable to go faster; where traffic volumes are consistently high and exits are closely spaced, it's reasonable to go slower.

Between Winnemucca and Fernley, it's 125 miles of wide-open driving with AADT under 9000; there are a total of 16 exits along the way and only one incorporated town, whose population is less than 2000.  Does not compare.
There are also fairly long stretches of moderate traffic on east side.. NYS has upstate with high density - but also I87 northway between Albany and Montreal (well, border); and I-88. Many stretches of Thruway (I-90 and I-87) have less than dense traffic.
It is not as empty as you describe, but not every place is crowded like NYC...

Pink Jazz

And I wonder if New Mexico will be the 8th, considering North Dakota's bill failed.  I can see New Mexico introducing an 80mph bill soon.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

As of now Arkansas has adopted a 70 mph speed limit on most if not all of our Interstates and freeway systems.  :bigass:
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

seicer

Not a good comparison.

It can be argued that the New York Thruway, with its widely spaced exits and free flowing traffic (on most days), can sustain a 75 MPH SL. So can I-86 through much of the Southern Tier of the state, which has pretty low traffic volumes for much of its length, especially west of I-390. And I-390 south of Rochester. And I-87. And I-89. And I-91. And much of I-95 in Maine. And I-295 in Maine. And the Ohio Turnpike. And I-80 in Pennsylvania. And I-79. And...

hotdogPi

Quote from: seicer on May 12, 2017, 03:32:36 PM

Not a good comparison.

It can be argued that the New York Thruway, with its widely spaced exits and free flowing traffic (on most days), can sustain a 75 MPH SL. So can I-86 through much of the Southern Tier of the state, which has pretty low traffic volumes for much of its length, especially west of I-390. And I-390 south of Rochester. And I-87. And I-89. And I-91. And much of I-95 in Maine. And I-295 in Maine. And the Ohio Turnpike. And I-80 in Pennsylvania. And I-79. And...

Maine already has a 75 mph speed limit on some sections of I-95.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

kalvado

Quote from: 1 on May 12, 2017, 03:50:07 PM

Maine already has a 75 mph speed limit on some sections of I-95.
Do you see some correlation between these two maps?

I think at least some correlation is there... There are also differences, e.g. OR/WA.. But Maine definitely fits the trend.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Pink Jazz on May 12, 2017, 03:21:01 PMAnd I wonder if New Mexico will be the 8th, considering North Dakota's bill failed.  I can see New Mexico introducing an 80mph bill soon.

I can see them backing away from 80 MPH given the special signing that already has to be provided for sharp curves on rural Interstates like the double curve on I-40 at the Montoya exit (Exit 311).

So much bloom has already come off the rose at 75 that I expect a consensus to develop that it is not worth having 80 unless roadway geometry is good enough to allow cruise control to be set comfortably at that speed in good weather.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

seicer

A population density map wouldn't work in this instance. New York's density is skewed because of New York City, Long Island and a handful of other cities (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse). It's not very populated further north and the density is a lot lower in the Finger Lakes and Southern Tier.

And in some states with higher densities, a 70 MPH SL or a 65 MPH SL can exist well into urban areas, like Detroit. It's just politics as usual that dictates some awful speed limits (like Pennsylvania's law that mandates a 55 MPH SL in any urban area for any expressway/interstate).

kalvado

Quote from: seicer on May 12, 2017, 04:50:52 PM
A population density map wouldn't work in this instance. New York's density is skewed because of New York City, Long Island and a handful of other cities (Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse). It's not very populated further north and the density is a lot lower in the Finger Lakes and Southern Tier.

And in some states with higher densities, a 70 MPH SL or a 65 MPH SL can exist well into urban areas, like Detroit. It's just politics as usual that dictates some awful speed limits (like Pennsylvania's law that mandates a 55 MPH SL in any urban area for any expressway/interstate).
Sure it is also politics. But population density statewide is also relevant via politics: I have hard time thinking those representing NYC would see increase of speed limit the same way as upstate. Advantage is fairly vague for the city...

Pink Jazz

Quote from: J N Winkler on May 12, 2017, 04:10:44 PM
Quote from: Pink Jazz on May 12, 2017, 03:21:01 PMAnd I wonder if New Mexico will be the 8th, considering North Dakota's bill failed.  I can see New Mexico introducing an 80mph bill soon.

I can see them backing away from 80 MPH given the special signing that already has to be provided for sharp curves on rural Interstates like the double curve on I-40 at the Montoya exit (Exit 311).

So much bloom has already come off the rose at 75 that I expect a consensus to develop that it is not worth having 80 unless roadway geometry is good enough to allow cruise control to be set comfortably at that speed in good weather.

Which is why I think the state should set 80 mph speed limits based on engineering judgement instead of a blanket speed limit. This is what most 80 mph states are doing (South Dakota being the main exception).

Also, the speed limit should remain 75 between Albuquerque and Santa Fe as well as between Las Cruces and the El Paso area.  In addition, to eliminate speed differentials between neighboring states, the speed limit should also remain 75 on I-40 west of Gallup and east of Tucumcari to match Arizona and Texas, respectively.

Ingsoc75

Is Arizona too congested now to see 80 mph on certain sections of interstate? I'm surprised they haven't done it.
Check out my Speed Limit Sign Gallery.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.