News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What's the rationale for a doghouse signal here?

Started by 1995hoo, March 26, 2015, 03:10:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

In the picture below, I was waiting at the light going from Jeff Todd Way to Mount Vernon Memorial Highway (VA-235) at the intersection with US-1 just outside Fort Belvoir in Virginia. Google Maps' depiction of the intersection is outdated–it's a straight-up crossroads–and the Street View is outdated since Jeff Todd Way is a new road that opened late last year. In the direction I was going, there are four lanes: Two left-turn-only lanes to northbound Route 1, a single straight-ahead lane (the one I was in when I took this picture), and a single right-turn lane to southbound Route 1.

Note there are four signals corresponding to the four lanes. So what's the point of putting up the doghouse signal for the right-turn lane? That lane could, of course, have a turn arrow when the other three lanes all have red lights, but why have a doghouse for that purpose when that lane is always a turn-only lane?

Edited to add: This is not the only time I've seen this sort of thing, but I was bored sitting there at the red light and it simply occurred to me that this signal configuration doesn't really seem necessary.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Big John

I think it was done that way to satisfy the MUTCD requirement of 2 primary signals for the through movement.

Brandon

In Illinois, it would be so that the right turn lane could have a green arrow for a protected movement when the left turn signals have green arrows (protected) are on for the crossroad.  When the crossroad left turns yellow, so does the right turn.  And why a tower (we use towers in stead of doghouses)?  IDOT requires a minimum of three signals for the through movement, and two signals for each turning movement.  Thus, here, there would be a nearside tower signal.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

spooky

Quote from: Big John on March 26, 2015, 03:30:31 PM
I think it was done that way to satisfy the MUTCD requirement of 2 primary signals for the through movement.

*ding ding ding* we have a winner.

1995hoo

Ah, thanks. Wasn't aware of that requirement. Seems like a waste in many cases, but as the government types say, "If that's what the book says...."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

mrsman

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 27, 2015, 07:50:55 AM

Ah, thanks. Wasn't aware of that requirement. Seems like a waste in many cases, but as the government types say, "If that's what the book says...."

2 signals is not a waste.  I believe it's a requirement to deal with a situation where a signal light bulb may be burned out.  At least you have a second signal until the light bulb can be replaced.

Brandon

Quote from: mrsman on March 27, 2015, 01:42:23 PM

2 signals is not a waste.  I believe it's a requirement to deal with a situation where a signal light bulb may be burned out.  At least you have a second signal until the light bulb can be replaced.

And like I said, some states go beyond that even (see my post regarding Illinois above).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

froggie

A combination of Big John and Brandon's responses.

While VDOT has gone away from its former one-signal-per-lane requirement, it still generally follows it in practice.  But as Big John noted, you need at least two signals for the through movement (for good reasons like what mrsman mentioned), and there's only a single through lane here.

jakeroot

I don't mind more signals than necessary (I've always been a big proponent of side-mounted signal repeaters) but given that most new signals are LEDs, should this requirement still be ... a requirement?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jakeroot on March 29, 2015, 05:30:20 PM

I don't mind more signals than necessary (I've always been a big proponent of side-mounted signal repeaters) but given that most new signals are LEDs, should this requirement still be ... a requirement?

Yes. LEDs may not burn out like traditional bulbs, but they still will burn out or fail on occasion.

jakeroot

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 29, 2015, 06:31:22 PM

Yes. LEDs may not burn out like traditional bulbs, but they still will burn out or fail on occasion.

Isn't it more likely that a single LED will fail rather than the whole array? Not saying catastrophic failure is impossible, just incredibly unlikely.

(I suppose as long as it's possible, the rule should continue to exist -- I'm just discussing this for the sake of discussing it).

roadfro

Quote from: jakeroot on March 29, 2015, 06:37:24 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 29, 2015, 06:31:22 PM

Isn't it more likely that a single LED will fail rather than the whole array? Not saying catastrophic failure is impossible, just incredibly unlikely.

(I suppose as long as it's possible, the rule should continue to exist -- I'm just discussing this for the sake of discussing it).

More often, what I've seen is that a section of the LEDs will fail at once, not usually a single LED. For example, older LED bulbs arranged in rows (as opposed to newer LEDs in a circular/radial pattern) it can be a row or two of individual bulbs a couple inches wide. This seems to be a failure of the technology rather than an individual LED light element failing. Some LEDs get gradually dimmer in lieu of going blank suddenly.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Scott5114

Most new signals are LEDs, but not all. (I'm pretty sure ODOT is still putting up incandescents, even though none of the cities around here do...)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.