News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

How come I see an old California state route 6 on a city of Los Angeles map?

Started by ACSCmapcollector, July 17, 2016, 09:06:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACSCmapcollector

There is one thing I have to confirm, the original routing of old California state route 26 was once old California state route 6.  Can anyone confirm or comment on this, please?

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Quillz

CA-6 became CA-26 when US-6 was extended into the state. CA-26 later followed the routing of I-10, which is why CA-26 is now used for an unrelated highway in the Sierra foothills.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: Quillz on July 17, 2016, 10:14:54 PM
CA-6 became CA-26 when US-6 was extended into the state. CA-26 later followed the routing of I-10, which is why CA-26 is now used for an unrelated highway in the Sierra foothills.

And also earlier when before U.S. 6 was signed, it was known as old California state route 7 on the Sierra Highway.

Quillz

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on July 17, 2016, 10:50:01 PM

And also earlier when before U.S. 6 was signed, it was known as old California state route 7 on the Sierra Highway.
Original CA-7 used the CA-14/US-395 corridor today, including having a disconnected NorCal segment.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: Quillz on July 17, 2016, 11:07:44 PM
Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on July 17, 2016, 10:50:01 PM

Original CA-7 used the CA-14/US-395 corridor today, including having a disconnected NorCal segment.

There was a California State Route 10, and after the early 1960s it became California state route 42 also.

cahwyguy

Sigh. As usual, and I'll say it again.... oh, you know what I'm going to say.

SSR 10 became CA 42 in 1964, as the number 10 was needed for Route 10, a/k/a I-10

Original SSR 6 became US 6 when US 6 entered California; SSR 26 went away in 1964 with the creation of the new Route 10 for I-10. I'm well aware of Route 26: I used to work at SDC, which had offices at 3000 Olympic in Santa Monica, and there were stories of needing to get state approval for a new driveway when that building was built.

On my site, it is noted: In 1934, State Signed Route 6 was defined to run from Santa Monica to Jct. Route 39 near Fullerton. This routing was similar to that of what was later Route 26 (also LRN 173), so it is likely that once US 6 was established, Route 6 was renumbered as Route 26, and then 1934 Route 26 was dropped from the state highway system. This routing was along Pico Blvd E from signed Route 3 (Lincoln) [later signed US 101A (LRN 60), now Route 1], N on Robertson to Olympic, E on Olympic to Crenshaw, N on Crenshaw, E on 10th Street and 9th Street, then E on Mines Ave near Huntington Park, then SE along Anaheim-Telegraph Road to Santa Fe Springs, then SE along Los Nietos Road, S on Valley View, SE on La Mirada Road to Route 39. This routing appears to have disappeared by 1939 and for much of it, there is not a parallel legislative route.

Prior to the definition and signage of US 6, the portion of the route from Bishop to the California-Nevada state line was signed as part of state signed Route 168. This was an eastern extension of Route 168 from its present-day terminus in Bishop.

The Route 26 page notes:
In 1934, Route 26 was signed along the route from Route 3 (US 101A, later Route 1) near Seal Beach to US 101 near Santa Ana along Bolsa Avenue. This was LRN 183, defined in 1933, and deleted by 1951. The Route 26 signage appears to have been dropped by the late 1930s.

Between sometime in the 1938 timeframe and July 1, 1964, LRN 173 (defined in 1933), the route originally signed as Route 6 was resigned as Route 26. The original signed Route 6 ran from Santa Monica to Jct. Route 39 in Fullerton along roughly Olympic and Whittier. In Los Angeles, it ran between US101A (Lincoln Blvd) and US101 along 10th Street, later renamed Olympic Blvd (in 1939, the route ran along Pico between Lincoln and Robertson). Evidently, the original plan was to call this Route 6, but that went away when US 6 was assigned to a different route. It used the McClure Tunnel now used for I-10. Olympic Boulevard was built (widened and realigned) in two stages. By 1938, major improvements were completed. The jog at Figueroa Street was eliminated. Near Alvarado Street, Hoover Street and Arlington Avenue, Olympic Boulevard was realigned away from 10th Street to provide continuity. Westerly of Lucerne Boulevard, Country Club Drive was renamed Olympic Boulevard, widened throughout and extended through the 20th Century Fox movie studio property. Further improvements were disrupted by World War II. In 1948, the final links of Olympic Boulevard were constructed between Crenshaw Boulevard and Lucerne Boulevard and between Centinela Avenue and Lincoln Boulevard. The latter project was built as a landscaped divided parkway with no driveways through the City of Santa Monica. Before the construction of the freeway in downtown LA, the route continued along Olympic Blvd and 9th St. to Atlantic Blvd (Route 15; LRN 167). A 1942 map shows that Route 26 was cosigned with Bypass US 101 from approximately the Olympic/Telegraph junction to Route 19. A 1948 map shows the route running along Olympic, 9th St, Anaheim, Telegraph, Los Nietos, Whittier Road, La Mirada Road, and La Habra Road, terminating at the intersection of Manchester Blvd (then Bypass US 101) and La Habra Road in Buena Park. It was later replaced by I-10, the Santa Monica Freeway, but early plans show this as the Olympic Freeway. The signage for Route 26 may have been down by 1959.

Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: cahwyguy on July 18, 2016, 09:04:13 PM

SSR 10 became CA 42 in 1964, as the number 10 was needed for Route 10, a/k/a I-10

Original SSR 6 became US 6 when US 6 entered California; SSR 26 went away in 1964 with the creation of the new Route 10 for I-10. I'm well aware of Route 26: I used to work at SDC, which had offices at 3000 Olympic in Santa Monica, and there were stories of needing to get state approval for a new driveway when that building was built.

On my site, it is noted: In 1934, State Signed Route 6 was defined to run from Santa Monica to Jct. Route 39 near Fullerton. This routing was similar to that of what was later Route 26 (also LRN 173), so it is likely that once US 6 was established, Route 6 was renumbered as Route 26, and then 1934 Route 26 was dropped from the state highway system. This routing was along Pico Blvd E from signed Route 3 (Lincoln) [later signed US 101A (LRN 60), now Route 1], N on Robertson to Olympic, E on Olympic to Crenshaw, N on Crenshaw, E on 10th Street and 9th Street, then E on Mines Ave near Huntington Park, then SE along Anaheim-Telegraph Road to Santa Fe Springs, then SE along Los Nietos Road, S on Valley View, SE on La Mirada Road to Route 39. This routing appears to have disappeared by 1939 and for much of it, there is not a parallel legislative route.

Prior to the definition and signage of US 6, the portion of the route from Bishop to the California-Nevada state line was signed as part of state signed Route 168. This was an eastern extension of Route 168 from its present-day terminus in Bishop.

The Route 26 page notes:
In 1934, Route 26 was signed along the route from Route 3 (US 101A, later Route 1) near Seal Beach to US 101 near Santa Ana along Bolsa Avenue. This was LRN 183, defined in 1933, and deleted by 1951. The Route 26 signage appears to have been dropped by the late 1930s.

Between sometime in the 1938 timeframe and July 1, 1964, LRN 173 (defined in 1933), the route originally signed as Route 6 was resigned as Route 26. The original signed Route 6 ran from Santa Monica to Jct. Route 39 in Fullerton along roughly Olympic and Whittier. In Los Angeles, it ran between US101A (Lincoln Blvd) and US101 along 10th Street, later renamed Olympic Blvd (in 1939, the route ran along Pico between Lincoln and Robertson). Evidently, the original plan was to call this Route 6, but that went away when US 6 was assigned to a different route. It used the McClure Tunnel now used for I-10. Olympic Boulevard was built (widened and realigned) in two stages. By 1938, major improvements were completed. The jog at Figueroa Street was eliminated. Near Alvarado Street, Hoover Street and Arlington Avenue, Olympic Boulevard was realigned away from 10th Street to provide continuity. Westerly of Lucerne Boulevard, Country Club Drive was renamed Olympic Boulevard, widened throughout and extended through the 20th Century Fox movie studio property. Further improvements were disrupted by World War II. In 1948, the final links of Olympic Boulevard were constructed between Crenshaw Boulevard and Lucerne Boulevard and between Centinela Avenue and Lincoln Boulevard. The latter project was built as a landscaped divided parkway with no driveways through the City of Santa Monica. Before the construction of the freeway in downtown LA, the route continued along Olympic Blvd and 9th St. to Atlantic Blvd (Route 15; LRN 167). A 1942 map shows that Route 26 was cosigned with Bypass US 101 from approximately the Olympic/Telegraph junction to Route 19. A 1948 map shows the route running along Olympic, 9th St, Anaheim, Telegraph, Los Nietos, Whittier Road, La Mirada Road, and La Habra Road, terminating at the intersection of Manchester Blvd (then Bypass US 101) and La Habra Road in Buena Park. It was later replaced by I-10, the Santa Monica Freeway, but early plans show this as the Olympic Freeway. The signage for Route 26 may have been down by 1959.

And there was a old California state route 35 on Workman Hill Road prior to Interstate 605, the San Gabriel River Freeway just to the east.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on July 18, 2016, 09:20:55 PM

The Route 26 page notes:

And there was a old California state route 35 on Workman Hill Road prior to Interstate 605, the San Gabriel River Freeway just to the east.

And what was very confusing there was a California state route 248 on U.S. 66 Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena, explain that cahwyguy?

myosh_tino

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on July 18, 2016, 09:25:27 PM
And what was very confusing there was a California state route 248 on U.S. 66 Colorado Blvd. in Pasadena, explain that cahwyguy?

Can you please takes the mods advice to visit these great informative sites before posting here?  I'm getting tired to having to sift through the 3 dozen or so topics you've started over the past couple of weeks.  It makes me want to  :banghead:

From cahighways.org (http://cahighways.org/241-248.html#248)...

In 1963, Route 248 was defined as "Route 134 near Pasadena to Route 210 near Monrovia."

In 1965, Chapter 1372 added a condition: "This route will cease to be a state highway when Interstate Route 210 freeway is completed and the commission relinquishes that portion of present Route 210 in the County of Los Angeles and the Cities of Pasadena, Arcadia, and Monrovia."

In 1986, Chapter 928 truncated the route: "Route 134 near the east limit of the City of Pasadena to Route 210 near Monrovia."

In 1992, the remainder of Route 248 was deleted by AB 3090, Chapter 1243.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Quillz

CA-248 was never signed in the field, it existed only on paper and some maps.

myosh_tino

Quote from: Quillz on July 18, 2016, 10:15:16 PM

That's a great point.  Just because a route shows up on a map doesn't necessarily mean it was ever signed.  Case in point is I-180 which was never signed on the Richmond San Rafael Bridge.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

ACSCmapcollector

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: myosh_tino on July 18, 2016, 10:14:30 PM
Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on July 18, 2016, 09:25:27 PM

Can you please takes the mods advice to visit these great informative sites before posting here?  I'm getting tired to having to sift through the 3 dozen or so topics you've started over the past couple of weeks.  It makes me want to  :banghead:

From cahighways.org (http://cahighways.org/241-248.html#248)...

In 1963, Route 248 was defined as "Route 134 near Pasadena to Route 210 near Monrovia."

In 1965, Chapter 1372 added a condition: "This route will cease to be a state highway when Interstate Route 210 freeway is completed and the commission relinquishes that portion of present Route 210 in the County of Los Angeles and the Cities of Pasadena, Arcadia, and Monrovia."

In 1986, Chapter 928 truncated the route: "Route 134 near the east limit of the City of Pasadena to Route 210 near Monrovia."

In 1992, the remainder of Route 248 was deleted by AB 3090, Chapter 1243.

I am doing that while posting, visiting cahwyguy's website to get the information.  No need to get upset, please. I enjoy posting because I am just curious about California's Freeway and Expressway system, apologies accepted please. And I am an antique road and street map collector for H.M. Goshua, Rand McNally and Automobile Club of Southern California too (AAA Southern California division). :spin: :sleep:

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on July 18, 2016, 10:43:25 PM

In 1934, Route 35 was signed along the route from Jct. Route 22 near Seal Beach to Jct. US 99 near West Covina via Santa Fe Springs. It ran from US60/US70/US99 (LRN 26; now I-10) along Puente Ave, Workman Mill Blvd, Norwalk Blvd, Pioneer Blvd, Norwalk Rd, and Los Alamitos Road to Route 22 (LRN 179) near Westminster. It was LRN 170, present-day I-605, defined in 1933, extended in 1957 and 1959.

cahwyguy

What's clear is that you are not familiar with the "great renumbering". This table should help:

http://www.cahighways.org/pre-inst.html
Daniel - California Highway Guy ● Highway Site: http://www.cahighways.org/ ●  Blog: http://blog.cahighways.org/ ● Podcast (CA Route by Route): http://caroutebyroute.org/ ● Follow California Highways on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/cahighways

Quillz

Quote from: myosh_tino on July 18, 2016, 10:19:50 PM
Quote from: Quillz on July 18, 2016, 10:15:16 PM

That's a great point.  Just because a route shows up on a map doesn't necessarily mean it was ever signed.  Case in point is I-180 which was never signed on the Richmond San Rafael Bridge.
This was true of CA-259 until around 2007 or so, when a shield finally appeared. There's a few other short highways in the state that aren't actually signed, only way to know of them is look at a map.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: cahwyguy on July 18, 2016, 11:08:59 PM
What's clear is that you are not familiar with the "great renumbering". This table should help:

http://www.cahighways.org/pre-inst.html

Just the portion of U.S. highways like 6, 99, 91, 395 etc. I am familiar with.

cahwyguy

QuoteNo need to get upset, please. I enjoy posting because I am just curious about California's Freeway and Expressway system, apologies accepted please. And I am an antique road and street map collector for H.M. Goshua, Rand McNally and Automobile Club of Southern California too (AAA Southern California division).

I want to note that I'm not upset. Exasperated, perhaps  :) I got my start collecting maps as well, back in the days when gas stations gave out maps. I got curious about why California highways were numbered as they were, and the hobby was off. The difference was that I didn't ask questions that already have the answers out there. I watched, observed, and learned from the research of others, and then built upon that with my own work.

So instead of asking the obvious questions, research. Figure out something that is unexplained after your research, and then ferret that out. Learn research skills. Then take advantage of the knowledge here. There's loads of history that is lost. Go off the main path, and go beyond "they should have" to the "whys" and "whats" of history.

In fact, I'll go so far as to give you an assignment. Two of the oldest state highways in Southern California are Route 23, Decker Canyon, and Route 27, Topanga Canyon. What are their histories? What prompted someone to build those canyons, and why was Decker chosen over perhaps easier routes such as Kanan or Malibu Canyon, which were later county highways. If you're in the bay area, ask the same question of routes like 130 or the original Route 5, now 35. How did they come about to build the mountain passes, such as Route 120, Tioga Pass. Look at some of the US highways folks forget, such as US 97. What is the history of Route 3. (but do, when you ask those questions, start new threads)

THere are so many great questions about California history and highways that we don't need to redo the research that's done. Go an explore, and don't always trust that map.

Daniel

mrsman

The Route 26 page notes:

To add info about Olympic.  10th Street was renamed Olympic Blvd in 1932 in honor of the Olympic games being held in L.A.  Olympic Blvd does not go that close to the Coliseum or other major Olympic venues, so why was 10th street named Olympic instead of a street closer to the Coliseum?  Because 1932 were the games of the 10th Olympiad.

At some later time, parts of East 9th Street that follow the above routing were also renamed Olympic as well.  The two sections of Olympic have never been connected, you have to use Wall Street as a connector.  In fact, neither 10th street nor 9th street is Olympic for the 5 blocks between San Julian Ave and Gladys Ave.

andy3175

Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.