News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Condition of California highways

Started by ACSCmapcollector, September 16, 2016, 09:13:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACSCmapcollector

Mod Note: Combined threads "California having the poorest roads/highways in the country?" and "Which percent (%) of California highways have new pavement/asphalt?", per request, since the threads were discussing similar topics. (Original thread titles retained on messages after merge for clarity.) –Roadfro

I have watched a video on Youtube, about California having the poorest (worst) roads and highways in the country?

Does anyone want to comment on that?

Max Rockatansky

Who's video?  Link it over?  Regardless I'd say that's a pretty baseless opinion of someone who probably lives here.  Where else in the country do you have countless traffic light free expressways along with TWO US Routes that don't have any for hundreds of miles?  Basically that sounds like someone talking from the perspective of some urban slog like L.A....but I'm just saying that without even seeing the video.

ACSCmapcollector

Maybe I can make a Google search, Max to see who has the most poorest roads and highways in the USA.

Max Rockatansky

But what's their criteria for "poor road conditions?"  California wasn't even close to number one on that list and there wasn't a wiff of Michigan in regards to road quality?   :eyebrow:

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 16, 2016, 09:29:47 PM
But what's their criteria for "poor road conditions?"  California wasn't even close to number one on that list and there wasn't a wiff of Michigan in regards to road quality?   :eyebrow:

51% and $762 behind Oklahoma, and District of Columbia, Max.  California is in 3rd place, the facts don't lie.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on September 16, 2016, 09:36:10 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 16, 2016, 09:29:47 PM

51% and $762 behind Oklahoma, and District of Columbia, Max.  California is in 3rd place, the facts don't lie.

http://www.tripnet.org/docs/Urban_Roads_TRIP_Report_July_2015.pdf

Max Rockatansky

Granted I looked at the first link only, but I hate these subjective top 10s.  I'd say to all them stop driving in Los Angeles, San Diego, and the Bay Area and tell me what they think about the rest of the state before deciding to lob that high of a rating.  Does that rating include proportions for populations in that budget analysis?...if it doesn't then things are pretty skewed given that no state really is withing 10 million people of California which means there are more cars on the road day-to-day than any other state.  I'm sure they don't have "roadway design" as part of the criteria as well.  A lot of states are still stuck in the dark ages of two-lane roads when it comes to anything less than an Interstate.  I'm not saying that Californian roads have maintenance issues that warrants them being in the top 10.  But I know damn well that there is MUCH worse out there than this state. 

There you go...as you're writing this you include some Urban Trip report thing.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 16, 2016, 09:45:31 PM
Granted I looked at the first link only, but I hate these subjective top 10s.  I'd say to all them stop driving in Los Angeles, San Diego, and the Bay Area and tell me what they think about the rest of the state before deciding to lob that high of a rating.  Does that rating include proportions for populations in that budget analysis?...if it doesn't then things are pretty skewed given that no state really is withing 10 million people of California which means there are more cars on the road day-to-day than any other state.  I'm sure they don't have "roadway design" as part of the criteria as well.  A lot of states are still stuck in the dark ages of two-lane roads when it comes to anything less than an Interstate.  I'm not saying that Californian roads have maintenance issues that warrants them being in the top 10.  But I know damn well that there is MUCH worse out there than this state. 

There you go...as you're writing this you include some Urban Trip report thing.

Until you get on the California state route 91, Riverside Freeway from Anaheim, to Riverside, CA. Max that is the number one worst freeway.  And the Interstate 405, San Diego Freeway is another worst freeway in the state of California.

Mod Note: Fixed quoting. –Roadfro

Max Rockatansky

And?  :eyebrow:  Yes the 405 is infamous for having a crap ton of traffic, the most cars by day if I recall correctly.  Hence the reason why I refused to move back to L.A. when I accepted a transfer out here again.  There is a lot more to this state than just the Megalopolis and it's hellish traffic conditions.

Umm....no Youtube video?

bing101

But wait Sacramento still has to finish Renovating the Beltline freeway I-80 and in Solano County the interchange between Highway 680/Highway 80 and Highway 12 is under construction as of 2016 to handle both Bay Area and Sacramento Valley Traffic. Plus some places are removing their button copy signs as of 2016.

Well some parts of California are in the process of improving their roads.

jakeroot

The 5 Fwy in Orange County is one of the nicest stretches of freeways I've ever driven on. Other Orange County freeways are very nice as well.

I've driven from the Oregon Border down to San Diego several times. No particular place stands out to me as being of poor quality, except the LA County freeways (though I know work is being done to expand and refinish the 5 in LA County).

That said, there are thousands of miles of roadway that I have never driven in California, so it would be foolish of me to say that California doesn't have shit roads; I simply haven't driven enough of the highways to be certain, one way or the other.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: jakeroot on September 17, 2016, 01:47:23 AM
The 5 Fwy in Orange County is one of the nicest stretches of freeways I've ever driven on. Other Orange County freeways are very nice as well.

I've driven from the Oregon Border down to San Diego several times. No particular place stands out to me as being of poor quality, except the LA County freeways (though I know work is being done to expand and refinish the 5 in LA County).

That said, there are thousands of miles of roadway that I have never driven in California, so it would be foolish of me to say that California doesn't have shit roads; I simply haven't driven enough of the highways to be certain, one way or the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsCpax-09BU

Except that Interstate 5, the Golden State Freeway and Interstate 405, the San Diego Freeway as well as the U.S. 101, Ventura Freeway needs to be repaved.  California state route 1, Cabrillo Highway and U.S. 101 through portions of San Luis Obispo County needs to be repaved, except for city of San Luis Obispo, CA where U.S. 101 is all ready repaved due to Caltrans District 5, in my own county.

Mod Note: Fixed quoting. –Roadfro

ACSCmapcollector

I wonder what is the percentage (%) of California highways and roads that have new pavement/asphalt within the Caltrans Districts 1 through 12?

Any comments, please?  This goes back to my earlier post on how California is #3 in poorest highways and roads.

jakeroot

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on September 17, 2016, 02:25:14 PM

Except that Interstate 5, the Golden State Freeway and Interstate 405, the San Diego Freeway as well as the U.S. 101, Ventura Freeway needs to be repaved.  California state route 1, Cabrillo Highway and U.S. 101 through portions of San Luis Obispo County needs to be repaved, except for city of San Luis Obispo, CA where U.S. 101 is all ready repaved due to Caltrans District 5, in my own county.

You could say that ("xx needs to be repaved") about many highways, in many other states. I don't think California is unique in having several sections of highway needing repaving or resurfacing.

ACSCmapcollector

I agree though too to that stretch of Interstate 5, the Santa Ana Freeway.

myosh_tino

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on September 17, 2016, 02:57:06 PM
This goes back to my earlier post on how California is #3 in poorest highways and roads.

Then you should have posted this in that discussion.  There's absolutely no need to start a separate topic.

Mods, more specifically roadfro, Can you please merge this with the one about California being #3 in poorest highway/road conditions?  Thanks!
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

kphoger

This is a meaningless thread unless you care to define "new".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

myosh_tino

Quote from: jakeroot on September 17, 2016, 03:03:06 PM
You could say that ("xx needs to be repaved") about many highways, in many other states. I don't think California is unique in having several sections of highway needing repaving or resurfacing.

While that's a true statement, I sadly admit there are some stretches of highway in California that are in DIRE need of repaving.  I-580 west from I-205 to Livermore comes to mind.
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: kphoger on September 17, 2016, 03:12:40 PM

Ok I get it, I am not stupid, ok?

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on September 17, 2016, 03:37:18 PM
Quote from: kphoger on September 17, 2016, 03:12:40 PM

Ok I get it, I am not stupid, ok?

And earlier someone has brought up the off subject of relationships in Summer, which is not so much needed either.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: kphoger on September 17, 2016, 03:40:57 PM
OK.

Then the answer is 64%.

Go look it up on Google search or via Automobile Club Of Southern California, to find the real percentage.

kphoger

Oh.  Right.  I meant 52%.  I misread your original criterion.

52% of California highways and roads within the Caltrans Districts 1 through 12 have new pavement/asphalt, when compared to the other 48%.
Male pronouns, please.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: kphoger on September 17, 2016, 03:49:41 PM
Oh.  Right.  I meant 52%.  I misread your original criterion.

52% of California highways and roads within the Caltrans Districts 1 through 12 have new pavement/asphalt, when compared to the other 48%.

Except you don't live in California, kphoger.  Plus being a blue state for a Democrat since 1992, something has to be done in Governor Brown's plan to put more funding for California's highways and roads like a VMT, Vehicle per Mile Tax as of now into 2017 & 2018.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.