News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

CA 198 from Kings and Tulare County.

Started by ACSCmapcollector, October 19, 2016, 07:46:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACSCmapcollector

I think the rebuilt CA 99/CA 198 full freeway interchange in Visalia was built in 1977-1978, the year I moved from Newhall to Oak Ranch II outside of Visalia, CA instead of 1972.  The Plaza Road interchange was added near the Visalia Muncipal Airport in 1978 too (near the Holiday Inn) on CA 198.  Someone told me that it was built in 1972, however that is an error because I saw the redesigned interchange on a Compass Map of the city of Visalia, CA and Tulare County back then.

jrouse

Not sure what you're getting at here.  Are you trying to ask when it was done?  These types of posts are confusing and a bit frustrating because no one can really tell what your point is.

Anyway, if you're trying to verify the completion date, I'd suggest you take a look at the Caltrans bridge log (sorry ,don't have a link handy).  It lists the completion dates of the bridges, which will give you a rough ideas of when the work was done.

iPhone

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: jrouse on October 19, 2016, 08:10:46 PM
Not sure what you're getting at here.  Are you trying to ask when it was done?  These types of posts are confusing and a bit frustrating because no one can really tell what your point is.

Anyway, if you're trying to verify the completion date, I'd suggest you take a look at the Caltrans bridge log (sorry ,don't have a link handy).  It lists the completion dates of the bridges, which will give you a rough ideas of when the work was done.

iPhone

No I am not telling when it was done, I am stating a fact, I seen the construction of that interchange driving by when I was a teenager.  Compass Maps had it down really accurate for the city of Visalia's west side by 1978.  Not in the mid to late 1950's.  There was a complete overhall in the late 1970s, I seen it from my own two blue eyes when I was 11.

coatimundi

Well, I would certainly trust the judgment of an 11-year-old and a memory from almost 40 years ago over the objective and reliable bridge log. I mean, that's a given.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: coatimundi on October 19, 2016, 08:37:34 PM
Well, I would certainly trust the judgment of an 11-year-old and a memory from almost 40 years ago over the objective and reliable bridge log. I mean, that's a given.

And I do know the section from CA 63 south to Ben Maddox Way was under contruction for CA 198 in 1963.  The section from Lovers Lane (CA 216) to Farmersville Blvd was opened to traffic in 1966. For freeway, then it become a expressway north of Exeter.

Max Rockatansky

Why not change the title to "When was the CA 99/CA 198 freeway interchange built?" because your title is cut off as it stands currently.  That is....if you are in fact asking a question?  It's not clear if you are trying to make a statement or ask a question.

myosh_tino

You are correct in that the 99/198 overpasses were built in 1977 (which I confirmed from the Caltrans Bridge Log) HOWEVER none us here ever said those were built in 1972.  Kind of a pointless post/topic.  Why are you telling us this instead of the person who gave you the erroneous information?
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: myosh_tino on October 19, 2016, 08:57:57 PM
You are correct in that the 99/198 overpasses were built in 1977 (which I confirmed from the Caltrans Bridge Log) HOWEVER none us here ever said those were built in 1972.  Kind of a pointless post/topic.  Why are you telling us this instead of the person who gave you the erroneous information?

You know...I gave it a good twenty minutes but I couldn't find a single dam that had been donated.  I guess it's true what they say, "nobody gives a dam" after all.   :rolleyes:

ACSCmapcollector

Because I know something about the history of California State Route 198, the very last two sections A) Visalia: expressway was converted to freeway from 1998 to 2001, and the traffic signals had to be removed on that section, I think it is also known as Avenue 296. B) Hanford Expressway opened before October of 2014, seen construction east of Hanford on return trip to Visalia with my buddy friend in late September 2011.  Me and my best friend Marty, my old teacher Dan, myself and my buddy friend Richard missed the bus stop for the bus going on Orange Belt Services from Visalia to Hanford one evening in October, 2014.

The most important section of CA 198 (opened 2001) to match the section earlier in 1965, was built below ground from east of Akers Road to Ben Maddox Way, through downtown Visalia, this section is one continuous below ground segment reminding me of an Texas Interstate with parrallel 3 lane one way streets on both sides of the freeway with diamond interchanges,

My buddy friend Richard said that donating to the Hanford Expressway would help, no way only Propostion 1A bonds paid for it.

Fixed quotes... –Roadfro

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on October 19, 2016, 09:36:24 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 19, 2016, 09:12:14 PM

Because I know something about the history of California State Route 198, the very last two sections A) expressway was converted to freeway from 1998 to 2001, and the traffic signals had to be removed on that section, I think it is also known as Avenue 296. B) Hanford Expressway opened before October of 2014, seen construction east of Hanford on return trip to Visalia with my buddy friend in late September 2011.  Me and my best friend Marty, my old teacher Dan, myself and my buddy friend Richard missed the bus stop for the bus going on Orange Belt Services from Visalia to Hanford one evening in October, 2014.
You know...I gave it a good twenty minutes but I couldn't find a single dam that had been donated.  I guess it's true what they say, "nobody gives a dam" after all.   :rolleyes:

Why do you always get the quotes jacked up even after all of us have tried to explain them to you? lol  Anyways I meant the "rolls eyes" emoticon instead of "cool" so I went back and fixed.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector
Because I know something about the history of California State Route 198, the very last two sections A) Visalia: expressway was converted to freeway from 1998 to 2001, and the traffic signals had to be removed on that section, I think it is also known as Avenue 296. B) Hanford Expressway opened before October of 2014, seen construction east of Hanford on return trip to Visalia with my buddy friend in late September 2011.  Me and my best friend Marty, my old teacher Dan, myself and my buddy friend Richard missed the bus stop for the bus going on Orange Belt Services from Visalia to Hanford one evening in October, 2014.

The most important section of CA 198 (opened 2001) to match the section earlier in 1965, was built below ground from east of Akers Road to Ben Maddox Way, through downtown Visalia, this section is one continuous below ground segment reminding me of an Texas Interstate with parrallel 3 lane one way streets on both sides of the freeway with diamond interchanges,

My buddy friend Richard said that donating to the Hanford Expressway would help, no way only Propostion 1A bonds paid for it.

Ok, I am going to spend the rest of the evening watching the last debate on Fox News.

A topographic map will indicate in purple the newest sections of CA 198 in Visalia, and Tulare County.

Removed duplicate quoted text; put quoted text into quote block. –Roadfro

compdude787

So....what is the point of this thread exactly?  :confused:

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: compdude787 on October 19, 2016, 11:39:14 PM

I'm fairly amused how citations like topographical maps are brought up but not linked as a source.  So basically it's just Scott ranting on about how he knows Visalia and Tulare County again because it's where he grew up.  For what point and purpose?...I have no idea.  Others have covered 198 extensively on this board and have used actual citations....so yeah.....there it is.  :eyebrow:  Maybe it's just time we all stop replying to this stuff and just go on our merry way with legit topics?...and Scott can chime in if he so chooses.  Basically any point of advice any of or a moderator have given him has been completely ignored in this thread which has yet led to another wriggamoral.

NE2

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on October 19, 2016, 09:48:17 PM
Ok, I am going to spend the rest of the evening watching the last debate on Fox News.
Of course that's the channel you watch.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

compdude787

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 19, 2016, 11:47:31 PM
Quote from: compdude787 on October 19, 2016, 11:39:14 PM

I'm fairly amused how citations like topographical maps are brought up but not linked as a source.  So basically it's just Scott ranting on about how he knows Visalia and Tulare County again because it's where he grew up.  For what point and purpose?...I have no idea.  Others have covered 198 extensively on this board and have used actual citations....so yeah.....there it is.  :eyebrow:  Maybe it's just time we all stop replying to this stuff and just go on our merry way with legit topics?...and Scott can chime in if he so chooses.  Basically any point of advice any of or a moderator have given him has been completely ignored in this thread which has yet led to another wriggamoral.

Agreed.

myosh_tino

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 19, 2016, 09:12:14 PM

NICE!

The quote in my signature came from an off-topic discussion about "Dam" jokes.  The discussion was locked a very long time ago but is still accessible at https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=1633.0.

Oh and you're right... nobody really gives a dam!  :-D
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

ACSCmapcollector

Ok, all you folks have not been nice to me as gentlemen, regarding the subject I have brought up. Aleast I haven't heard any female members doing this to me, just you.

I have purchased several old antique road maps of the state of California from www.20centurymaps.com from 1964 to 1968 and 1971, and I also will be including more maps of the area of the Golden State, our own nickname.  These maps are from H.M. Goshua, however by the time Christmas of 2016 comes around I am going to include Rand McNally in my own collection too going back to the early 1960s.

The Kings County section from Lemoore Naval Air Station to California State Route 41 in a California road map from Texaco shows a section of freeway opened to traffic, probably constructed in 1963, because it was a short segment of CA 198.  Going east from there to Hanford, probably started construction in the same year however opened up in 1965, and the last segment to east of Hanford to CA 43 was opened up in 1966 or 1967. 

It is just as important to include those maps in my collection, however if there is a copyright notice by law, I could not get them into my post, even though H.M. Goshua was bought out by Rand McNally years ago, and it was real sad to see them locked up with their employees gone from sight.   :-/

That is why I purchase maps from E-bay for my portion from the Automobile Club of Southern California, more detail somewhat in their maps I have noticed in the 1960 to 1970s, today. For around Christmas and my birthday around early June, of each year.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on October 20, 2016, 02:21:37 PM
Ok, all you folks have not been nice to me as gentlemen, regarding the subject I have brought up. Aleast I haven't heard any female members doing this to me, just you.

I have purchased several old antique road maps of the state of California from www.20centurymaps.com from 1964 to 1968 and 1971, and I also will be including more maps of the area of the Golden State, our own nickname.  These maps are from H.M. Goshua, however by the time Christmas of 2016 comes around I am going to include Rand McNally in my own collection too going back to the early 1960s.

The Kings County section from Lemoore Naval Air Station to California State Route 41 in a California road map from Texaco shows a section of freeway opened to traffic, probably constructed in 1963, because it was a short segment of CA 198.  Going east from there to Hanford, probably started construction in the same year however opened up in 1965, and the last segment to east of Hanford to CA 43 was opened up in 1966 or 1967.  I have an old California state road map from the year I was born, 1966 that California Division of Highways put together and was made from H.M. Goshua, do you want me to include this in a posted graphic so that anyone can see this map in central California?

It is just as important to include those maps in my collection, however if there is a copyright notice by law, I could not get them into my post, even though H.M. Goshua was bought out by Rand McNally years ago, and it was real sad to see them locked up with their employees gone from sight.   :-/

That is why I purchase maps from E-bay for my portion from the Automobile Club of Southern California, more detail somewhat in their maps I have noticed in the 1960 to 1970s, today. For around Christmas and my birthday around early June, of each year.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on October 20, 2016, 02:26:03 PM

The Kings County section from Lemoore Naval Air Station to California State Route 41 in a California road map from Texaco shows a section of freeway opened to traffic, probably constructed in 1963, because it was a short segment of CA 198.  Going east from there to Hanford, probably started construction in the same year however opened up in 1965, and the last segment to east of Hanford to CA 43 was opened up in 1966 or 1967.  I have an old California state road map from the year I was born, 1966 that California Division of Highways put together and was made from H.M. Goshua, do you want me to include this in a posted graphic so that anyone can see this map in central California?

I operate a weather station office where I live that is a 7 day/24 hour/30 day month/365 days a year operation and it is my high priority and responsibility full time.  And I am now posting one post for subject matter per week, instead of alot too. Regarding the moderator Roadfro's advice, I am not ignoring that, I am not breaking any rules.  I am very honest and i don't tell lies either because I am a born again Christian.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: NE2 on October 20, 2016, 12:03:17 AM

I watch The Weather Channel too, besides Fox News.

coatimundi

I only watch Lifetime Movie Network.

jrouse

I'm not sure if you are including me when you say this.  I don't believe I said anything insulting or nasty.  If it came across that way, I am sorry.  All I was saying that the purpose of your post was unclear.  I also was saying that when you write posts that don't have a clear purpose or reason, it is annoying.

Your detailed explanation about all of the maps you collect, etc., still does not provide a reason for your post.  All you said is, I think the 198/99 interchange was rebuilt in a certain year.  Fine.  But why post that?  What is your intent?  What sort of a response are you expecting from other readers?  It looked to me like you were just posting a statement.  That's not what this forum is for.  If you just post a statement, it won't result in meaningful discussions.

I understand you may feel like people on this board are picking on you.  I can tell you that's not my intent.  All I'm trying to do is help you understand how this community operates.  If you work with us, it'll make it more enjoyable for all of us.

Thanks.

iPhone

myosh_tino

Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on October 20, 2016, 02:58:01 PM

I used to watch the Weather Channel when they reported on the weather but I hardly watch it now because there's too much "fluff" like documentaries and movies.  Nowadays if I want weather information, I turn to the internet.

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: myosh_tino on October 20, 2016, 06:35:05 PM
Quote from: ACSCmapcollector on October 20, 2016, 02:58:01 PM

I used to watch the Weather Channel when they reported on the weather but I hardly watch it now because there's too much "fluff" like documentaries and movies.  Nowadays if I want weather information, I turn to the internet.

How about AccuWeather.com, Myosh?

ACSCmapcollector

Quote from: jrouse on October 20, 2016, 05:35:36 PM

I'm not sure if you are including me when you say this.  I don't believe I said anything insulting or nasty.  If it came across that way, I am sorry.  All I was saying that the purpose of your post was unclear.  I also was saying that when you write posts that don't have a clear purpose or reason, it is annoying.

Your detailed explanation about all of the maps you collect, etc., still does not provide a reason for your post.  All you said is, I think the 198/99 interchange was rebuilt in a certain year.  Fine.  But why post that?  What is your intent?  What sort of a response are you expecting from other readers?  It looked to me like you were just posting a statement.  That's not what this forum is for.  If you just post a statement, it won't result in meaningful discussions.

I understand you may feel like people on this board are picking on you.  I can tell you that's not my intent.  All I'm trying to do is help you understand how this community operates.  If you work with us, it'll make it more enjoyable for all of us.

Thanks.

iPhone

I don't have a reason to have anyone to be picked on as of now, so I will just ask more questions in the near future.  Oh by the way, my letter to the editor in the Bay News about Measure J-16 for San Luis Obispo got published and printed, no one has that God given ability accept for me.  I am correcting someone else who on AA Roads.com said that the interchange was built in 1972, no way!  Should I post my subject matter as questions (?) instead of statements, maybe that would help?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.