News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Stopping for school buses

Started by 1995hoo, May 13, 2019, 11:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Quote from: jakeroot on May 23, 2019, 06:21:44 PM
I think you two are describing buses that are either cabover, or conventional. Cabover buses have a flat front with the engine below, whereas conventional buses have the engine in front of the driver.
Virtually all school buses in Washington State are cabover. This is not true in British Columbia, where conventional is more popular.

Virtually all school buses in Massachusetts are conventional.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

kphoger

Quote from: UCFKnights on May 26, 2019, 01:06:38 AM
HOA ... it would be a liability as its private roadways.

I think there's the answer, right there.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: roadman on May 28, 2019, 09:17:15 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on May 23, 2019, 06:21:44 PM
I think you two are describing buses that are either cabover, or conventional. Cabover buses have a flat front with the engine below, whereas conventional buses have the engine in front of the driver.
Virtually all school buses in Washington State are cabover. This is not true in British Columbia, where conventional is more popular.

Virtually all school buses in Massachusetts are conventional.

Important note (not mentioned in my post): There are four types of school buses. The most common ones are Type-C and Type-D. The former is shorter, usually called "conventional" with a typical hood; Type-D is "cabover [engine]", but sometimes rear-engined as well.

I would have expected cabover (Type-D) buses to be at least somewhat popular in parts of New England, with the tighter roads and more dense environment. Maneuverability is an important part of why Type-D has remained popular for school and metro buses; they spend all their time in urban areas, so why bother with the harder-to-maneuver conventional style?

This (below...Thomas Saf-T-Liner HDX) is probably the most popular type of bus I see in Pierce County, WA. After looking around for the last week, I realize that certain WA cities, like Seattle, have a fair number of conventional buses. More than in the South Sound. The most popular "short" bus is probably the Thomas Saf-T-Liner C2 (not pictured):

NWI_Irish96

Now I'm in a community with public roadways, and again asked the district if they can pull into the community, due to the traffic issues the bus causes, and was told no, the buses are on a tight schedule, and leaving the main roadways would add several minutes to the dropoff and make them need more buses. I've lived in 5 counties throughout the state of Florida and not one of them was pulling the buses into neighborhoods, unless there is someone handicapped that is unable to make the bus stop.

Does your school board have districts representing specific areas?  If so, your district school board member is the door to getting this changed.  If your neighborhood has enough voters, and those voters put pressure on the school board member, you'll get your bus stop.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

UCFKnights

Quote from: cabiness42 on May 29, 2019, 08:44:49 AM
Now I'm in a community with public roadways, and again asked the district if they can pull into the community, due to the traffic issues the bus causes, and was told no, the buses are on a tight schedule, and leaving the main roadways would add several minutes to the dropoff and make them need more buses. I've lived in 5 counties throughout the state of Florida and not one of them was pulling the buses into neighborhoods, unless there is someone handicapped that is unable to make the bus stop.

Does your school board have districts representing specific areas?  If so, your district school board member is the door to getting this changed.  If your neighborhood has enough voters, and those voters put pressure on the school board member, you'll get your bus stop.
Everyone seems to expect it, think its no big deal, and is fine with the county's answer that there is no time on the bus routes to turn off the arterial roads.... except for me, for some weird reason lol

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.