Two Lane Roads in a Four Lane Right of Way.

Started by 3467, January 11, 2021, 01:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

machias

NY Route 104 south of Wolcott, New York.

X99

US 385 at the SD/NE state line- but only on the SD side. Nebraska is supposed to continue the four lane route through to Colorado via Alliance and Scottsbluff, but they have only completed the four lane section between Kimball on NE 71 and Minatare on US 26.
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: Bitmapped on January 12, 2021, 12:54:31 PM
This setup was common in Ohio during a lot of 1960s era relocations. Examples include:
- OH 57 between I-76 and Rittman
- OH 585 north of OH 94
- US 50 east of Londonderry, part of which had a second set of lanes built recently for testing purposes
- Two-lane part of US 22 between Cadiz bypass and OH 151
- Two lane part of US 42 near Spring Valley (between 4-lane sections)
- OH 73 bypass of Corwin east of US 42

US 33 between Bellefountaine and Indian Lake
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Chris19001

It may be a bit hard to see, but PA663 was cleared and graded for 4 lanes when it was bypassed between the PA Turnpike NE Extension and Pennsburg in the 1970's.  That being close to 50 years ago, natural growth has somewhat deteriorated the ROW.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4205317,-75.4504254,3a,75y,213.74h,92.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sentxxlGIDzyBhdCidtGthw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

roadman65

Osceola County Road 532 in Florida. From CR 545 to US 17 & 92 it's is a four lane corridor with only two lanes since I-4 was built in the 60's which rendered its existence as a connector route to Kissimmee.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Elm

Corridor/right-of-way preservation isn't all that common in Colorado as far as I know, but there are some cases where there's right-of-way for more lanes than are present.

I believe the two lane US 287 Laporte Bypass (Google Maps)–apparently built as phase one, and ultimately the only phase, of the "Fort Collins Expressway" –has right-of-way for four lanes, as well as accommodations for an interchange at Overland Trail. That dates back around forty years ago, and there don't appear to be any plans to add lanes or more grade-separations to the bypass now; CDOT seems to be done expanding US 287 after widening the adjacent segment leading into Fort Collins. (That included adding a roundabout at the end of the bypass where there was originally plans for a freeway/expressway extension.)

A new reservoir northwest of the area is going through studies/permitting, which if built, would require relocating some of US 287. That realignment would be a two-lane roadway with right-of-way for four lanes, as well.

I-55

WV-2 in Cabell County between the Mason county line and just north of Lesage
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

CardInLex

This is pretty much SOP in Kentucky these days for any new "bypass"  style route.

I think it still is in Illinois the Macomb bypass and maybe the new Lebanon bypass.
It was SOP in the 1968 federal highway bill according to the Illinois 1969 highway plan.
A lot of the Illinois ones are from that era.
Illinois has something called notice of freeway which didn't mean a new freeway. It just meant they were restricting any access. Now they do that for pretty much every state route.

cl94

NY 85 southwest of Albany. Part of it was widened in the late 2000s as part of the project to extend the bypass 3/4 miles, but a mile and a half remains 2 lanes. US 209 for the first couple miles south of the expressway section near Kingston, NY is similar, as is NY 299 between the Thruway and US 9W.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

sbeaver44

US 220 for a few miles south of Bedford PA

RyanB06

Not sure this qualifies considering it's neither a freeway nor expressway, but Research Parkway in Meriden and Wallingford, CT certainly fits the topic.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.499054,-72.7664457,837m/data=!3m1!1e3

It looks like the road was planned to be a four-line divided highway (even has a number of double-sided light poles with only one light head on them), but it clearly never came to be.

It counts. There are a lot less than I thought there would be.There are a lot of roads with big ROW where it's easy to add say a passing lane but not many with a full freeway or expressway ROW .
Parts of US 51 fit wide ROW North of Centralia. It's close on US 24Washington Bypass
There is on 24 other side of Peoria but it's going to be built.

X99

Four lane roads on an eight lane right-of-way: Old US 14-16 through Box Elder, SD. Planned to be downgraded to a single 3 or 4 lane road but it seems like everyone stopped caring about that
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

US 89

Parts of US 169 near Iola, Kansas come to mind.

mgk920

Quote from: X99 on January 21, 2021, 06:00:36 PM
Four lane roads on an eight lane right-of-way: Old US 14-16 through Box Elder, SD. Planned to be downgraded to a single 3 or 4 lane road but it seems like everyone stopped caring about that

Would I-395 under the Capitol Reflecting Pool in Washington, DC count for that?

Mike

US 89

Realizing I missed the obvious example in my home state, which is the Southern Parkway (Utah 7) near St George from the Desert Canyons exit east. Traffic counts don’t justify a 4-lane on this section yet, so it’s been built as a super-two. There is plenty of ROW for another carriageway, for which some grading has already been done...and looking at the four eastern diamond interchanges (exits 6, 7, 10, and 15) it is fairly obvious that a four-lane is intended at some point in the future.

catch22

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on January 12, 2021, 07:20:48 PM
Quote from: Bitmapped on January 12, 2021, 12:54:31 PM
This setup was common in Ohio during a lot of 1960s era relocations. Examples include:
- OH 57 between I-76 and Rittman
- OH 585 north of OH 94
- US 50 east of Londonderry, part of which had a second set of lanes built recently for testing purposes
- Two-lane part of US 22 between Cadiz bypass and OH 151
- Two lane part of US 42 near Spring Valley (between 4-lane sections)
- OH 73 bypass of Corwin east of US 42

US 33 between Bellefountaine and Indian Lake

US 6 from OH 2 (SW of Bryan) to Ridgeville Corners.

deathtopumpkins

Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

roadman65

County Road 707 in Stuart, FL due to the road diet it received when US 1 was rerouted onto the current 1996 Roosevelt Bridge.  CR 707 was old US 1 and was four lane widened in 1964 across the St Lucie River to be narrowed 32 years later for a six lane structure to meet the needs of sprawling Florida of the 1990s.

In satellite images you can see that ROW.  However Historic Aerials were not available pre1996 to show old alignment of Highway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

US 14 Woodstock bypass. It's Feb 2 how could I have forgotten the place Groundhog Day filmed.

PHLBOS

I believe that the right-of-way for 2-lane MA 49 was sized for a future 4-lane expansion.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.