News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

"Alternate US nn" vs. "US nnA"

Started by hbelkins, January 04, 2012, 11:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Someone on m.t.r. was complaining that Rand McNally mislabels "US 20A" in New York as Alternate US 20. No link in Google Groups yet but the message ID is <2f61e750-d164-4bd6-9fdb-651e9a36c7ad@a40g2000vbu.googlegroups.com> for a possible later search if anyone is interested.

Yes, the route is signed as US 20A in New York, but isn't it officially know as Alternate US 20? Doesn't AASHTO designate these as alternate routes, rather than an actual US nnA route?

Might be worth it to compile a list of which states use banners vs. the "A" suffix.

Kentucky: "Alternate" banner
North Carolina: "A" suffix
Ohio: "A" suffix
Tennessee: "A" suffix
Virginia: "Alternate" banner
West Virginia: "ALT" banner

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

codyg1985

Alabama uses the Alternate Banner. I believe Mississippi uses "ALT"
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

akotchi

I don't think New Jersey has Alternate routes any longer (unless on the County system).  They are either Business (which are bannered) or were changed to other route numbers.

When they did have Alternate routes, I believe they were bannered.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

agentsteel53

Massachusetts has the suffix.

California has the banner.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

dfilpus

North Carolina used the "A" suffix on signage on original Alternate routes, but has switched to Alternate banners on new routes and even new signage on older routes. It's a mixed bag now.

roadman

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 04, 2012, 12:43:18 PM
Massachusetts has the suffix.

As I recall, all the current "suffixed" US routes in Massachusetts (1A, 20A for examples) are actually state routes (MA Rectangular shield), not US routes.

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

corco

Arizona does the suffix

Washington does this

Wyoming does this

jwolfer

I used to like the Florida business us routes.  They were negative images of the colored shield with a ALT or BUS tab.  Now it says ALternate in the standard shield... i dont have any pics

agentsteel53

Quote from: roadman on January 04, 2012, 02:00:26 PM

As I recall, all the current "suffixed" US routes in Massachusetts (1A, 20A for examples) are actually state routes (MA Rectangular shield), not US routes.

there are alternates to state routes as well, like 32A being an alternate to 32.  Also, in the late 30s, there was, for a brief time, a Mass US 5A.

New Hampshire has suffixes too, but hyphenated.  NH route 3-A, for example.

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

Quote from: agentsteel53 on January 04, 2012, 03:56:34 PM
New Hampshire has suffixes too, but hyphenated.  NH route 3-A, for example.

Except on the freeway signs it seems. New Hampshire also only likes to hyphenate the shield when the number is a single digit. If it has 2 or more digits, the suffix goes below the number like this:
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

PAHighways

Pennsylvania uses the "ALTERNATE" banner for the only such US aux route in the Commonwealth.

NE2

For U.S. Highways, as far as I know:
Alternate/Alt: AL, CA(?), DC, DE, FL, GA, KS, KY, MD, MS, NC (some), NJ, NV, OH (some), OK, PA, SC, TX, VA, VT, WA, WY
A: AZ, CT, ME, NC (some), NY, OH (some), RI, SD, TN, UT
No routes: AK, AR, CO, HI, IA, ID, IL, IN, LA, MA, MI, MN, MO, MT, ND, NE, NH, NM, OR, WI, WV
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

NE2

Quote from: PAHighways on January 04, 2012, 05:23:59 PM
Pennsylvania uses the "ALTERNATE" banner for the only such US aux route in the Commonwealth.
I didn't think US 220 Alternate existed anymore.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

PAHighways

It is still marked on the recent Centre County and state maps.

dfilpus

Quote from: NE2 on January 04, 2012, 05:32:21 PM
US 220 Alternate was re-signed in 2009 from I 80 south to Port Matilda.

TheStranger

Chris Sampang

agentsteel53

jake@aaroads.com

bugo

The highway from Sapulpa (really west Tulsa) to Beggs is signed alternately as US 75A, OK 75A, and "ALT" US 75.  I'm not sure if there are any "ALTERNATE" banners on the highway or not.

Rover_0

While the shields in Utah nowadays shows US-89A, on maps, and historically, it is listed as "US 89 Alternate." I don't exactly know how US-89A was labeled before the UT-11 era, but it seemed to be labeled as "Alt. US-89." Also, when UT-11 was around, the "A" on Utah's US-89A shields was considerably smaller, suggesting it as "US-89 Alternate."

As for Arizona, as far as I can remember, it's always been labeled as US-89A, though I bet in its first few years (when cutouts were used, from 1960-1975ish), it was labeled Alt. US-89.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

US71

I'm not sure if it's considered an Alternate, but South Dakota has US 16A
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US71

Quote from: bugo on January 04, 2012, 06:53:36 PM
The highway from Sapulpa (really west Tulsa) to Beggs is signed alternately as US 75A, OK 75A, and "ALT" US 75.  I'm not sure if there are any "ALTERNATE" banners on the highway or not.

There used be one near Beggs, but I can't find it in my photos. Guess I'll have to personally investigate.

As Jake mentioned, Arkansas has no Alternates. If they did, they would likely be "Alternate US XX A" or "US xx A" (likely alternating between the two).
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

bugo

Quote from: US71 on January 04, 2012, 07:02:26 PM
As Jake mentioned, Arkansas has no Alternates. If they did, they would likely be "Alternate US XX A" or "US xx A" (likely alternating between the two).

There are actually some routes in Arkansas that show up on AHTD maps as "route XX, section YYA."  These routes are business routes that have 2 different business routes within one section.  They are signed as business routes.  There was a US 79A that was shown on AHTD maps a few years ago, but I am guessing it was also signed as US 79B.

agentsteel53

Quote from: Rover_0 on January 04, 2012, 06:53:44 PM

As for Arizona, as far as I can remember, it's always been labeled as US-89A, though I bet in its first few years (when cutouts were used, from 1960-1975ish), it was labeled Alt. US-89.

cutouts were used as late as 1975?  I had been under the impression that the cutouts went away by 1961.  at least, no shield I've seen identified with a date marking has been a cutout, and those go back as far as 1962.  it is the 1961 MUTCD that introduced the "black square" so I do not believe this to be a coincidence.

when was the first US-89A (now AZ-89A) first signed?  I could swear my 1942 RMN shows it.

jake@aaroads.com

ctsignguy

Some other A's for you

www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=CT19570442
www.aaroads.com/shields/show.php?image=CT19660442

And Ohio uses '20A' for the US route
http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

hbelkins

Quote from: dfilpus on January 04, 2012, 05:51:53 PM
Quote from: NE2 on January 04, 2012, 05:32:21 PM
US 220 Alternate was re-signed in 2009 from I 80 south to Port Matilda.

Fall 2010...

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.