News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Mexico border crossing (split from Arco topic)

Started by agentsteel53, March 19, 2012, 08:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The High Plains Traveler

With this whole thread of Mexico requiring a bond so that American cars aren't sold in Mexico without their duty being paid - isn't there a more efficient way to protect their interest without what seems to be quite a bureaucratic process for visitors? It would seem that if a Mexican citizen went to register a vehicle with an American title, the import duty would have to be paid at that time as a condition of licensing the vehicle in Mexico. It's similar to me having to pay the state sales tax if I purchase a vehicle in order for the state to issue me license plates. I guess one could drive a car with the American registration until it expired (assuming the new owner doesn't have contact with the authorities in the meantime) but that would only be a year or less.

On the topic of fronteriza plates, I think they would be issued to Americans who live in Mexico and commute across the border as well as to citizens of Mexico. 
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

J N Winkler

Quote from: kphoger on March 25, 2012, 09:22:32 PMRe:  Separate bank/customs office–

It is interesting that the FMM is paid for at a separate window, whereas the vehicle importation folks are equipped to accept payment.

You mean they are actually accepting payment for FMMs at the border crossings themselves?  When I last visited Mexico (in the FMT era), I was instructed to pay at a bank in the interior.  (I wound up going to a branch of a Spanish bank just off the cathedral square in Chihuahua.)

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on March 25, 2012, 11:27:47 PMWith this whole thread of Mexico requiring a bond so that American cars aren't sold in Mexico without their duty being paid - isn't there a more efficient way to protect their interest without what seems to be quite a bureaucratic process for visitors? It would seem that if a Mexican citizen went to register a vehicle with an American title, the import duty would have to be paid at that time as a condition of licensing the vehicle in Mexico. It's similar to me having to pay the state sales tax if I purchase a vehicle in order for the state to issue me license plates. I guess one could drive a car with the American registration until it expired (assuming the new owner doesn't have contact with the authorities in the meantime) but that would only be a year or less.

I think the Mexicans did used to have a less elaborate and more streamlined procedure which they were forced to abandon in order to curb import fraud.  The problem, from their perspective, is getting around missing-man con games and the coyotes' document-forging capabilities.  Requiring a deposit on first entry gives the authorities two bites at the apple:  they get to keep the deposit if the car just goes into Mexico and disappears, and they also get to confiscate the car and arrest the driver if it is ever re-processed through a border crossing.  Requiring the owner himself to make the deposit also ensures that the person who actually applies for the importation has a financial stake in ensuring that the car leaves Mexico.  The physical documentation itself is highly tamper-resistant.  The windshield sticker is silver with an elaborate crosscut design and is designed to rip when it is peeled off the windshield, so it cannot be transferred from one car to another.  The exit certificate is printed on the same type of engraved paper as stock certificates.

QuoteOn the topic of fronteriza plates, I think they would be issued to Americans who live in Mexico and commute across the border as well as to citizens of Mexico.

I would suspect so, but if you were American and seeking fronterizo plates, I would imagine that they would want to see a FMT-3 (or whatever it is called these days).  (FMT-1 for tourists, FMT-2 for business travellers, FMT-3 for long-term residents . . .)  There is actually no law against owning cars or being licensed to drive in multiple countries, and in addition to the tenencia (vehicle tax) that has to be paid, it just takes an obscene amount of time to get anything official done in Mexico, so I suspect most Americans who have to operate binationally find it more expedient to register their cars at border-state US addresses where they can make a legally sufficient residency claim.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on March 24, 2012, 07:00:22 PM
Yeah, so I guess you might be able to visit México without a passport, but not return to the U.S.  :sombrero:

For land travel to Canada and Mexico you don't actually need the passport book to return to the US. There's another option called the "passport card" that's available as an alternative. It costs less than the passport book, but I'm not really sure why you'd get one unless you're 100 percent certain Canada or Mexico will be the only other country you'll ever visit.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

realjd

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 26, 2012, 09:23:19 AM
For land travel to Canada and Mexico you don't actually need the passport book to return to the US. There's another option called the "passport card" that's available as an alternative. It costs less than the passport book, but I'm not really sure why you'd get one unless you're 100 percent certain Canada or Mexico will be the only other country you'll ever visit.

Also accepted for reentry into the US at a land border are the Enhanced Drivers Licenses offered by certain border states, and NEXUS/Sentri/Global Entry cards.

kphoger

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 26, 2012, 06:39:52 AM
Quote from: kphoger on March 25, 2012, 09:22:32 PMRe:  Separate bank/customs office–

It is interesting that the FMM is paid for at a separate window, whereas the vehicle importation folks are equipped to accept payment.

You mean they are actually accepting payment for FMMs at the border crossings themselves?  When I last visited Mexico (in the FMT era), I was instructed to pay at a bank in the interior.  (I wound up going to a branch of a Spanish bank just off the cathedral square in Chihuahua.)

Well, not exactly, but yes.  At the Colombia crossing, here's how it works:
(1) Talk to the INM officer and get your FMM.  He won't stamp it yet, but you can fill it out.
(2) If you're staying longer than 7 days, pay for the FMM at the Banjercito window (about 15 feet away); I'm always staying 7 days or less, so I skip this step because the FMM is free.
(3) Give your receipt and completed form to the INM officer, and he stamps your FMM.
(4) Take your FMM and vehicle paperwork to the importation window (about 40 feet away); those folks are equipped to accept payment for both the bond and processing fee, no need to go to the bank window again.

The only time there's been a long line at the Colombia crossing (which, there, is still fewer than 20 people), I saw a couple playing a smart game.  They got their forms at the INM office; then, the wife took a spot back in the same line while her husband went to pay for them at the bank window.  By the time he was done, only have the line was left and he joined her in line.

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on March 25, 2012, 11:27:47 PM

On the topic of fronteriza plates, I think they would be issued to Americans who live in Mexico and commute across the border as well as to citizens of Mexico. 

The Fronteriza plate doesn't have to do with your immigrant status.  It has to do with where the car was bought and where it is licensed.  If it was bought in the U.S. and licensed in the border zone in México, then it gets Fronteriza license plates.  Non-residents are unable to get license plates; citizens and those living on resident visas (FM2 or FM3 in the old terminology, I believe) are able to get license plates.  I've read that the FMM is, in fact, able to be used for multiple entries for those with resident visas, but not for those visiting as tourists.

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 26, 2012, 06:39:52 AM
The physical documentation itself is highly tamper-resistant.  The windshield sticker is silver with an elaborate crosscut design and is designed to rip when it is peeled off the windshield, so it cannot be transferred from one car to another.  The exit certificate is printed on the same type of engraved paper as stock certificates.

Here is a picture of the importation sticker from our 2009 visit:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kape81/3406103989/in/set-72157616322577016

Here is a picture of what's left behind after peeling it off:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kape81/3406107221/in/set-72157616322577016
Only once have they provided anything to peel it off with, which was a rusty razor blade.  Now I make sure to have a pocketknife on me.

I don't remember getting a fancy-paper exit certificate.  Maybe we're talking about the same thing, but the fancy-paper form I remember came with the sticker upon entering México (in fact, the sticker was stapled to it).  Upon exiting, the lady at the roadside kiosk just gave me a receipt on glossy receipt paper.  There's a baby sleeping right now in the room where I've saved that stuff from years prior, so I can't check for 100% certain.

Quote from: realjd on March 26, 2012, 10:38:42 AM

Also accepted for reentry into the US at a land border are the Enhanced Drivers Licenses offered by certain border states, and NEXUS/Sentri/Global Entry cards.

Ah, yes.  I was sort of lumping those all together under 'passport'.  All that is to say, you can't get by with just your DL and birth certificate anymore.  On last year's trip, one person had a passport card; they look pretty cool, but I think it's better to spend the extra bucks and leave your options open.  It is funny to think about crossing the border in a few years:  our youngest son got his passport when he was less than a year old, and it's valid for five years, so he's going to end up looking a LOT different than his picture.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on March 26, 2012, 11:21:58 AM

Ah, yes.  I was sort of lumping those all together under 'passport'.  All that is to say, you can't get by with just your DL and birth certificate anymore.  On last year's trip, one person had a passport card; they look pretty cool, but I think it's better to spend the extra bucks and leave your options open.  It is funny to think about crossing the border in a few years:  our youngest son got his passport when he was less than a year old, and it's valid for five years, so he's going to end up looking a LOT different than his picture.

My brother has a passport card in addition to a regularly passport. I don't recall for sure why he said he got both but I think it was because the passport card fits in your wallet as an extra form of ID. He said he's used it a few times when places wanted to see two IDs, and periodically on Election Day at the polling place, and in each instance people have done a double-take or been unsure what it was. (I've used my passport to vote and it sometimes confuses the crap out of the elderly people who usually volunteer to work the polls. Just about everybody else uses a driver's license.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on March 26, 2012, 11:31:15 AM

My brother has a passport card in addition to a regularly passport. I don't recall for sure why he said he got both but I think it was because the passport card fits in your wallet as an extra form of ID. He said he's used it a few times when places wanted to see two IDs, and periodically on Election Day at the polling place, and in each instance people have done a double-take or been unsure what it was. (I've used my passport to vote and it sometimes confuses the crap out of the elderly people who usually volunteer to work the polls. Just about everybody else uses a driver's license.)

K-Mart refused to take my passport as ID for writing a check.  Boy, that ticked me off.  I had misplaced my DL, and it was the only ID I had.
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on March 25, 2012, 10:24:26 AM
Talk has ressurected about a freeway connector border crossing being built between I-8, in the area of exit 74 and M-2D, apparently, this would aide trucks going to the US by providing a better downhill option into the central valley and aid Mexico bound trucksd by getting them shifted towards TJ before hitting the metro San Diego area.  I have never been to Mexico, or plan to go, but I understand those 2 freeways are very close there with easy terrain between.  You can see the border fence from I-8 at this point

Well, until the government can get itself out of Hoffa's pocket, actually obey NAFTA, and open the southern border to international truck traffic, there would also be need for plenty of drayage facilities.  As it stands, there's almost no through commercial traffic.
Male pronouns, please.

Quillz

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on March 25, 2012, 10:24:26 AM
Talk has ressurected about a freeway connector border crossing being built between I-8, in the area of exit 74 and M-2D, apparently, this would aide trucks going to the US by providing a better downhill option into the central valley and aid Mexico bound trucksd by getting them shifted towards TJ before hitting the metro San Diego area.  I have never been to Mexico, or plan to go, but I understand those 2 freeways are very close there with easy terrain between.  You can see the border fence from I-8 at this point
I could be wrong, but isn't this the purpose of both the future I-905 and the proposed CA-11?

agentsteel53

Well, not exactly, but yes.  At the Colombia crossing, here's how it works:
(1) Talk to the INM officer and get your FMM.  He won't stamp it yet, but you can fill it out.
(2) If you're staying longer than 7 days, pay for the FMM at the Banjercito window (about 15 feet away); I'm always staying 7 days or less, so I skip this step because the FMM is free.

when I got to an FMM office in Ensenada, I believe the only option I was offered was a 180-day FMM for $23.  I say "I believe" because of the language barrier.  I thought I had made it clear that I was staying for two days, but between his rapid-fire Spanish and my fairly poor responses, it might have fallen through.

so what is the procedure for "cancelling out" the FMM when returning to the US?  My problem is I cannot find the place at which this is achieved.  I'd like to find such a thing in Tecate.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 26, 2012, 05:06:46 PM

Well, not exactly, but yes.  At the Colombia crossing, here's how it works:
(1) Talk to the INM officer and get your FMM.  He won't stamp it yet, but you can fill it out.

when I got to an FMM office in Ensenada, I believe the only option I was offered was a 180-day FMM for $23.  I say "I believe" because of the language barrier.  I thought I had made it clear that I was staying for two days, but between his rapid-fire Spanish and my fairly poor responses, it might have fallen through.

so what is the procedure for "cancelling out" the FMM when returning to the US?  My problem is I cannot find the place at which this is achieved.  I'd like to find such a thing in Tecate.

No, the INM officials don't advertise the seven-day FMM.  In fact, I was even told once to remind him when I got back from filling it out, or else he would likely forget and stamp it for 180 days.  I forget how I learned about the free seven-day one, but it definitely works.  They have two stamps but, unless you state specifically otherwise, will default to the 180-day one.

I've never used the Tecate crossing but, at Colombia, I simply turn the FMM in to the same gentleman who issued it to me, along with the vehicle cancellation receipt.
Male pronouns, please.

agentsteel53

Quote from: kphoger on March 26, 2012, 05:38:23 PM

I've never used the Tecate crossing but, at Colombia, I simply turn the FMM in to the same gentleman who issued it to me, along with the vehicle cancellation receipt.

I crossed in at Tijuana, because it was closer to my house, and could not find the FMM office there.  Theoretically I could've returned to Ensenada, but my best bet would be to find the FMM office in Tecate.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on March 26, 2012, 06:23:11 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 26, 2012, 05:38:23 PM

I crossed in at Tijuana, because it was closer to my house, and could not find the FMM office there.  Theoretically I could've returned to Ensenada, but my best bet would be to find the FMM office in Tecate.

Tijuana customs and immigration:
http://www.ericrench.com/MEXICO/TIJUANA/BORDER/BWALK/index.htm
Scroll down to the fifth main photo (view from crossing as a pedestrian)

Tecate customs and immigration:
It appears to be right where you cross the border.  At least, it has the blue and white signs I would look for.  If that's not it, it's closeby and they'll know where it is.  I've also read an account of the Tecate crossing which says to park on the street and walk back to the border, and the building will be on your left–which is right there.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.