News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Football (North America: NFL, CFL, Arena Football, minor leagues)

Started by Stephane Dumas, July 29, 2012, 11:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaBigE

Quote from: dvferyance on January 21, 2020, 10:26:29 PM
Aaron Rodgers is 1-3 in NFC championship games and that one win came against a Bears team with Jay Cutler and then Caleb Haney at qb. Two of those losses were blowouts to Atlanta and San Francisco. I think Rodgers is overrated even that one super bowl win was really because of the defense that picked off Rothlisburger a couple times that put the Packers up big early. The reality is Rodgers is just a one super bowl qb he is not a Tom Brady or a Joe Montana.

Is there a point somewhere in there (besides reinforcing your well-established hatred of the Packers/Aaron Rodgers)?
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Alps

Quote from: DaBigE on January 21, 2020, 10:33:32 PM
Aaron Rodgers is 1-3 in NFC championship games and that one win came against a Bears team with Jay Cutler and then Caleb Haney at qb. Two of those losses were blowouts to Atlanta and San Francisco. I think Rodgers is overrated even that one super bowl win was really because of the defense that picked off Rothlisburger a couple times that put the Packers up big early. The reality is Rodgers is just a one super bowl qb he is not a Tom Brady or a Joe Montana.

Is there a point somewhere in there (besides the one on your head)?
FTFY

dvferyance

Is there a point somewhere in there (besides reinforcing your well-established hatred of the Packers/Aaron Rodgers)?
It's just a fact Aaron Rodgers is overrated. He may be one of the better qb's in the league right now but he is not in the same ballpark as the top 10 of all time. I expect he will retire with just one ring.

DaBigE

Quote from: dvferyance on January 24, 2020, 09:19:21 PM

It's just a fact Aaron Rodgers is overrated. He may be one of the better qb's in the league right now but he is not in the same ballpark as the top 10 of all time. I expect he will retire with just one ring.

Like Favre, Namath, and Young?
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: DaBigE on January 24, 2020, 11:58:15 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on January 24, 2020, 09:19:21 PM

You could even lump Drew Brees into the same category.  There a ton of quarterbacks who were Hall of Fame good and may even have a championship, but weren't Top 5 or maybe Top 10 all time. 

Beltway

Quote from: dvferyance on January 24, 2020, 09:19:21 PM]It's just a fact Aaron Rodgers is overrated. He may be one of the better qb's in the league right now but he is not in the same ballpark as the top 10 of all time. I expect he will retire with just one ring.

Like Joe Thiesmann, Doug Williams and Mark Rypien!
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

nexus73

Quote from: Beltway on January 25, 2020, 12:38:08 AM
Quote from: dvferyance on January 24, 2020, 09:19:21 PM]It's just a fact Aaron Rodgers is overrated. He may be one of the better qb's in the league right now but he is not in the same ballpark as the top 10 of all time. I expect he will retire with just one ring.

Lest we forget, there is Trent Dilfer.  He may be the weakest performing QB on a Super Bowl champion.  The Ravens could have played a dead person at QB that year since their D was so strong.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Beltway on January 25, 2020, 12:38:08 AM

Aaron Rodgers is way closer to Farve (I say better than Farve) and Young than any of those.  If anything Joe Namath is the one that is criminally overrated, his only real on field claim to fame is predicting the outcome of a Super Bowl.  Namath even had 47 more interceptions than touchdown passes.  Namath compares more to the likes of Bobby Layne who really nobody even remembers (even though Layne had three NFL championships).

amroad17

Of course, the passing game was a whole lot different in the 1960's and 1970's than it is now.  When Namath played, most teams usually had the two receivers, a tight end, and maybe one back out on pass patterns.  Usually, the receivers patterns were anywhere between 15-30 yards downfield.  Namath averaged anywhere between 15-17 yards per completion in his best years (career average: 14.7)--unlike the 10-13 yards per completion the NFL passers have now.  He rarely threw short, partly because of his cannon arm, quick release, and the general offensive philosophy of the time--which was throw it downfield.  Of course, by doing this, he threw plenty of interceptions (220) and had a 50% career completion percentage as well as a 62-63-4 record as QB.  His career best passer rating was 74.3 in 1969--which would have been dead last in 2019.  However, as I said before, the offensive philosophy at the time was completely different.  Namath was a QB who believed he could make any pass he wanted too. 

As far as Hall Of Fame, overall his career numbers really do not stack up.  It was Super Bowl III and how he was the face of the AFL in the late 1960's that got him in.

As far as comparing the passers now verses those who played before 1980, we have to say the 60 is the new 50.  By that, I mean that if a QB before 1980 completed over 50% of his passes, they were considered a good passer.  Anything below 50% gave the impression that they were not very accurate.  Now, if a QB completes less than 60% of their passes, they are considered not very accurate.  It is just the change in offensive philosophies over the years.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

webny99

Crazy, with everything else going on, to think that the Super Bowl is less than 96 hours away!

I'm picking Chiefs 38, Niners 32.

Beltway

Quote from: webny99 on January 29, 2020, 10:40:51 PM
Crazy, with everything else going on, to think that the Super Bowl is less than 96 hours away!
Kansas City is a 1.5-point favorite in the latest 49ers vs. Chiefs odds, up from an open of one, while the over-under stands at 54.5.

Should be a good game!
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

Alps

Quote from: Beltway on January 29, 2020, 10:51:18 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 29, 2020, 10:40:51 PM
Kansas City is a 1.5-point favorite in the latest 49ers vs. Chiefs odds, up from an open of one, while the over-under stands at 54.5.

Should be a good game!
I recommend the over and the Niners.

Henry

Going  with the Chiefs on this one, if only because they'd win on the 50th anniversary of their first and only triumph.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Max Rockatansky

I can't see the 49ers holding off the Chiefs forever much less being able to match scores when they do start getting points.  I'm going with the Chiefs. 

NWI_Irish96

These two teams have such different ways of winning that I'm having a hard time figuring out how it will go.  I can see how a blowout win or a close win could happen for either team.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Buck87

When it comes it picking a winner, I'll go with the Chiefs.

As for who to root for, I'm leaning toward the Chiefs, but I can be happy with either result. Both teams have a Buckeye on their roster, so I'm good there. I would like to see Andy Reid get a championship, but I also wouldn't mind seeing Steelers fans have to watch as a second team in as many years joins them in the 6 time Super Bowl champion club.

Also, on one hand, I very much appreciate Lamar Hunt's legacy in shaping the modern NFL and also being a huge force in developing American pro-soccer including founding my favorite MLS team, and would like to see his Chiefs win. On the other hand, his idea to name the championship game after a bouncy ball is the annoying reason why a large percentage of people only care about the most recent 54 titles in a league that is very clearly celebrating its 100th season....so if that guy's team loses, fine by me.

webny99

Definitely taking the over. At this point, it would be considered a sub-par performance by either team if they don't get at least 30 on the board.

The Chiefs seem more likely to be able to get to this point again, while the Niners are certainly a successful rebuild story, but I'm not sure they can replicate this great season with how tough the NFC and especially their division is. But they also had an incredible run of dominance in the Super Bowl era, which the Chiefs have not. So on balance, I think the Chiefs, with all the postseason woes they've had this century, are more deserving of hoisting the trophy. But I have nothing against the Niners, and they are easily my favorite California team (lol).

ET21

The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

D-Dey65

Back in the late-1980's when Roosevelt Raceway was being closed down, I advocated that the track should be replaced by a new football stadium for the New York Jets. It would've kept them truly in New York State, would've provided them a better alternative to sharing a stadium with the "New York" Giants, and was close to the sites of the former Roosevelt Field and Mitchel Field, which would provide the aviation history appropriate for their namesake. If commuting to the stadium was an issue, there could've always been the option of the former Central Branch of the Long Island Railroad now known as the "Garden City-Mitchel Field Secondary."

Instead, developers built the Westbury Plaza and Roosevelt Raceway Center shopping malls and Meadowbrook Pointe Luxury Condos. Now malls are being abandoned all over the country, including those along Old Country Road. Plus with the end of the Ringling Brothers Barnum & Bailey Circus going to Nassau Coliseum, there's nothing using the Garden City-Mitchel Field Secondary. They should've built Jets Stadium there instead.

ozarkman417

Chiefs have a pretty good chance as long as they don't wait to score like they did in their past two games. It will be much harder to catch up as the 49ers defense is the best in the league (that's what I've been told, at least). Less than 1.5 hours until kickoff.

webny99

Chiefs are built to dig out of holes with the passing game, Niners are built to keep you buried with their defense and run game. So it should get interesting if the Chiefs fall behind by 10+ like they have the past two weeks.

The Niners three losses have all been by a TD or less in the final seconds. So it would be wise for the Chiefs to get going early on both offense and defense. I sure hope they have a good plan to stop the run.

Max Rockatansky

Not looking good for Kansas City with that latest interception, it sure looks like they can't get a big drive on the 49er defense. 

ozarkman417

Great, the interception turned in to a touchdown. Chiefs have to get at least two to get ahead and it's not looking like they will.
Edit: look, another interception...

SM-G965U

Max Rockatansky

And now it's 24-20, I guess we'll see if the 49ers can come back in the final three minutes. 

Max Rockatansky

That's game there with that long touchdown.  That 4th down attempt by the 49ers wasn't such a hot call, I guess that I was right about them not being able to match scores with the Chiefs.  What a weird way to win a Super Bowl, the Chiefs were down at least 10 points in every game.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.